[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by hepcat »

Stinker might have been too harsh, but it definitely wasn't up to the storytelling standards I've come to expect from the show. In my opinion, of course.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Enjoyed this week's episode. Hard to believe there are only 2 left.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, they did a tie in with last week. Was nice to see his receptionist and the BB tie in. I fear this will not end well for Saul.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Thoughts about this week's episode:
Spoiler:
I think the elaborate, over-the-top nature of last episode's scam plays much better with this week's episode as a partner. Last episode, it was a scam almost for the sake of the scam, Jimmy indulging his director's side. But this week? All Saul, no play, just the brutal business of ripping off people's identities, even if they have cancer.

I saw someone say that the grift is an addiction for Jimmy, and that seems right to me. He might have been able to stop with the mall ripoff (maybe) but once he was rejected by Kim, going back to Saul was a way to bury his pain again. The whole Breaking Bad episode just emphasizes that Jimmy can never get away from the Saul part of him, even when there is a easy way to walk a winner. Maybe even because of that.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
The difference between Jimmy and Gene is that Jimmy enjoyed the hell out of scamming people. It was fun and brought him a great thrill.
Gene has the talents to come up with complicated scams, but there doesn't seem to be an ounce of joy in his life. He will continually pursue the high he used to get, even though we know it's not going to fill that hole.

Kim is gone and Gene is just a sad chump who used to have it all.

There was a scene in Breaking Bad where Saul offered to have Hank killed. Gene seems to be getting really desperate to succeed in the game, even going back to rob a cancer patient well after the approved timeframe. That's just sloppy, not to mention despicable. How far will Gene go? Will he actually kill someone or let someone be killed for a con?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When we watch a show that is a prequel, I lose sight of what still needs to be explained so the show can end. What loose ends need to be wrapped up?

Kim? Is there anything left to say about her at this point?

I think we might get more of the final fate of Jimmy/Gene. But do we need any closure on anything prior to Breaking Bad? I think everything has been concluded with Gus, Hector and Don Eladio. HHM has run its course. Mike has accepted that he's the bad guy (according to Nacho's dad and me).

Now it's just all Nebraska.
Last edited by McNutt on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This would be a surprise ending:
Spoiler:
Carol Burnett ratted out Gene.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Weird thing I noticed while watching an old Breaking Bad clip on YouTube. Walter goes to Gus' house for dinner. When Walter enters the house you can quickly see some kids' toys in the corner of the den.

Gus has no family in New Mexico, right? I don't remember him ever discussing family and he doesn't seem to have any friends at all. His life is his work.
Why did he have toys in his house?

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spoiler:
My initial thought is that Gus' house may not really be Gus' house, as was shown in Better Call Saul.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The theme song is actually a full song with lyrics:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:35 pm This would be a surprise ending:
Spoiler:
Carol Burnett ratted out Gene.
Did I call it or what?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Spoiler:
stimpy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:55 pm I'd be surprised if there isnt a payoff related to this episode.
Me too!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
JCC

Post by JCC »

Absolutley riveting, phenomenal penultimate episode this week!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Great episode.
Spoiler:
Kim's life is so normal that it must be hell. There was a scene where she is discussing food with her coworkers and the scene cuts when a coworker says, "We've just switched to almond butt..." That edit was perfect.

Gene is screwed. He got greedy and is going to pay the price. And nice nerves of steel, Jeffy.

That episode was so good.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

And I really do smile every time I see Carol Burnett. She is one of my comedy idols.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I didn't quite get:
Spoiler:
Why Kim felt a need to confess directly to Cheryl, who was not particularly devoted to Howard, and I'm sure she cried all the way to the bank. Plus she was still protecting Jimmy when she claimed she didn't know if he was still alive.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

About that:
Spoiler:
I don't think Kim knew the state of Howard's and Cheryl's marriage. But without children, Cheryl is the only connection to Howard and she's having to go on with the legacy that Kim fabricated. Kim pushed that lie to her face at Howard's memorial service and I'm sure that's eating away at her in between exciting moments of taking a risk on Miracle Whip.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yep, yep, yep.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I loved the show way more than I thought I would. But that ending sucked.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I liked the ending, it resonated with me. But I didn't get:
Spoiler:
His whole confession thing. They hinted it was to help Kim, but how so? She wasn't under criminal investigation (though she likely should have been disbarred), and it did nothing to shield her from civil action. In fact, Cheryl could have gone after Jimmy as well.
If they wanted an upbeat ending they could have:
Spoiler:
Cut it on the prison bus to the chant of "Better Call Saul."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Great series. One of the best ever.

For the series ending:
Spoiler:
I didn't see it as Jimmy protecting Kim. Instead he wanted her to 'bear witness" to him finally doing the right thing, which she had asked him to do earlier. He had slipped out of essentially a life sentence to get a minimal sentence at a plush prison, but he finally developed a conscience and felt he had to pay for what he had done. Maybe he knew that if he got out he would do the same old thing and there would be more people like Chuck and Howard paying the price. He couldn't go back and do anything for them, but he could hopefully regain the respect of the woman he loved.
I really hate to see the end of a show that was that good. What a classic.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Fitting ending to a great series.
Now I want Nobody 2.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm Fitting ending to a great series.
Crap, I'm going to hate it, aren't I....
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:20 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm Fitting ending to a great series.
Crap, I'm going to hate it, aren't I....
No. I think this is one of those rare instances where we both agree that BCS was a great series.
I think you'll agree on the ending.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

McNutt wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:39 am Great series. One of the best ever.

For the series ending:
Spoiler:
I didn't see it as Jimmy protecting Kim. Instead he wanted her to 'bear witness" to him finally doing the right thing, which she had asked him to do earlier. He had slipped out of essentially a life sentence to get a minimal sentence at a plush prison, but he finally developed a conscience and felt he had to pay for what he had done. Maybe he knew that if he got out he would do the same old thing and there would be more people like Chuck and Howard paying the price. He couldn't go back and do anything for them, but he could hopefully regain the respect of the woman he loved.
I really hate to see the end of a show that was that good. What a classic.
I agree with your read here.
Spoiler:
Jimmy wasn't protecting Kim by finally admitting the truth about Chuck. Jimmy was finally owning his actions and he wanted Kim to see it because he knew it was the only chance he had to keep Kim in his life at all. And he was right - before that hearing there's no way the Kim who couldn't say more than "I'm glad you're alive" on the phone would visit Jimmy in prison to share a final smoke
Great series and the finale was pitch-perfect for the tone of the show. It didn't need to end with a trunk machine gun killing nazis because it wasn't that kind of show despite being set in the same universe.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A great ending for a great show. It veered a bit too much into action show territory every now and again, but at the end it remembered what it was truly about.
Spoiler:
I was surprised how much I missed seeing Chuck until that final scene.

I was also surprised that they pretty much ignored Gus and Mike the last few shows. I guess they cashed out on their stories though and decided (rightfully so) to concentrate on Jimmy’s story and its ending.

Better Call Saul has always been an intimate, subdued character study. I’m glad the finale remembered that.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I will watch anything Vince Gilligan gives me. This man has created two of the best shows in TV history.
Spoiler:
We know how Gus and Mike end up, but we didn't know what happened to Saul after he went on the run. The show gave us what we needed to get closure on everyone.

So do we feel more sorry for Jimmy, who is going to die of old age in that prison, or Kim, who is going to spend the rest of her life discussing the best deviled egg recipes with coworkers she doesn't really like?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dammit. Started watching the final season but I only got to the second or third.

I even have AMC+ and the first several episodes aren’t available?! Wtf.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, they’re pulling this shitty thing of only making them available for a limited time. If we pay for the damn streaming service they have, we should have access to them. But no, they’re going to try and milk it even more. :x
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

You can watch reaction videos for free, ya know.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:33 am Yeah, they’re pulling this shitty thing of only making them available for a limited time. If we pay for the damn streaming service they have, we should have access to them. But no, they’re going to try and milk it even more. :x
Probably has something to do with Netflix helping to finance the show (and Breaking Bad) and that you can eventually stream the whole thing there.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

But in the meantime…someone like me (who has both Netflix and AMC+) can’t watch it. FFS

First world probs and all that I guess.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, it only took me a couple times of dealing with AMC's horrid website before I started setting alarms for 9 PM on Mondays.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter