[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daveman

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by Daveman »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 amMaybe I missed something but what was not clear to me:
Spoiler:
Was he targeting Nacho with the sniper rifle to assure his death, but was not needed because Nacho took his own life, or was he in place to protect chicken man if the Salamancas attacked him?
I beleive:
Spoiler:
Mike had said there were a lot of ways the plan could have gone wrong, so he was there to protect Gus. A shot in the distance killing Nacho would have been hard to explain.
The plan was for Nacho to look like he was making a run for it and for Gus' guard to kill him. Disarming the cartel guy and shooting himself was improvised. Plus a horrible tease that maybe Nacho was going to make it out of there.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That Lalo is one sneaky SOB. And Kim endangers her career for a scam with Saul. Beginning of the end?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:30 am That Lalo is one sneaky SOB. And Kim endangers her career for a scam with Saul. Beginning of the end?
The timing of Saul running into the scam target was the most eye-roll inducing scenes of the whole series, Breaking Bad included.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And the target was literally wearing plot armor.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:36 am And the target was literally wearing plot armor.
I really expect much, much better from the writers.
That was lazy af.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This season has been below par.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A decent end to the first half of the season. Team Howard definitely took a hit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yes, this episode was pretty good, unlike the last few.
Spoiler:
Kim is a piece of shit. Jimmy is just an amoral asshole, but there is something wrong with Kim that makes her get a rush out of doing terrible things. With Jimmy, that is out in the open. Kim hides it behind an otherwise great desire to do good things.

The conversation with the judge was really good.

Poor Howard. He was always a nice guy. That boxing scene was just dumb, but he has been a real sweetheart throughout the show. He deserved better, not that I thought what happened wasn't thrilling.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Spoiler:
Howard did not, in fact, land on his feet.

:cry:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Better Call Saul levels of evil:

Level 1 - Lalo, Hector, Gus. All three men will kill and not lose a bit of sleep over it. They are the worst of the worst.

Level 2 - Mike. Yes, Mike is pretty high on this list. He is a hired killer and will even kill people who aren't bad (see Werner). He doesn't like it and it does eat away at him, but he'll still do it.

Level 3 - Saul. He loves to screw over innocent people. Does that alone make him evil? Not really, but he's still evil in my book because even though he hasn't killed anyone, he has offered to kill (see Hank).

Level 4 - Kim. She's dipping her toe in the water. She's not as bad as Jimmy, but she knows exactly who he is and stands by his side. She has actively sought to ruin Howard just for the thrill of it. I don't know how far she'd go and there is a good chance that she would continue to take it up to sickening levels. She and Mike are fallen angels. Mike just fell further, although Kim is still falling at this point.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And don't forget Nacho. A likeable drug dealer who protects his father but permanently hosed Hector and destroyed his family.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'd list Nacho with Saul. He chose a life, immediately regretted it, and tried to get out. Actually, he's lower than Saul. Nacho doesn't enjoy hurting people.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Where does Chuck fall on this list?
18-1™ & 2-0
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He's a pompous butthole. He's not on this list.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I would put him in between Mike and Saul, if only because he was the primary architect of turning Jimmy into Saul. :)
18-1™ & 2-0
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

We must praise Hitler, for he killed Hitler.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kim is breaking bad. I don't understand her obsession with Howard, though. Sure he's an establishment asshole who screwed over Jimmy and relishes being a kingmaker, but what did he do to Kim to warrant her hatred? I have a poor memory for details so if it's already been spelled out, I've just forgotten.

I enjoyed watching Jimmy and Kim conspire to torment Howard. Reminds me of my cat playing with chipmunks. But he didn't deserve what he finally got...even if that's how the chipmunks usually end up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26 pm Kim is breaking bad. I don't understand her obsession with Howard, though. Sure he's an establishment asshole who screwed over Jimmy and relishes being a kingmaker,
I still don’t get why some folks think Howard is bad. He may not be perfect, but he’s hardly one of the villains. Jimmy is, though. He’s just so charming you forget that.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:31 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26 pm Kim is breaking bad. I don't understand her obsession with Howard, though. Sure he's an establishment asshole who screwed over Jimmy and relishes being a kingmaker,
I still don’t get why some folks think Howard is bad. He may not be perfect, but he’s hardly one of the villains. Jimmy is, though. He’s just so charming you forget that.
If you side with the antihero (Jimmy), then the heroes are villains. I'm on Team Jimmy. But then, I rooted for Walter White, too.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

How did Howard screw over Jimmy? Do you mean by not hiring him as a lawyer? He's a career con man with a correspondence degree. That's not a good fit for HHM. And if you, for reasons I can't understand, still think Jimmy should have been hired by HHM, it was Chuck that refused to hire him, not Howard.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jimmy got screwed out of the Sandpiper case by Howard. Kim got screwed at HHM, can't remember if she got fired or just passed over for promotion. Those do not justify their actions, but they weren't on a whim.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If by screwed over, you mean replaced because of their bad behavior/actions, sure.
Kraken wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 pm If you side with the antihero (Jimmy), then the heroes are villains. I'm on Team Jimmy. But then, I rooted for Walter White, too.
No, it means you like villains. :wink:

Side note: I did see one thing that seemed out of character for Howard and was something I would call a bit sleazy.
Spoiler:
When he offered to take the elderly lady to the moderated deposition, he insisted she ride in a wheel chair even though she said she didn't need to. Howard was effectively creating the appearance of frailty to try to sway the moderator. That was the first time I remember him doing anything that underhanded...although I guess it may happen fairly regularly in courtroom proceedings, I don't know. But I have to wonder if some of Jimmy rubbed off on Howard over time.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Howard has never been an asshole. Please give me an example if you can think of one.

Kim was fired by a high-profile client (I believe, it's been awhile) and was not made partner. Somehow Howard is an asshole for this?

Jimmy was not screwed out of anything. Anything that happened to Jimmy was a consequence (completely justified, BTW) of his own actions. Jimmy, a con man who got a correspondence law degree, is under the delusion that he would be hired as a lawyer by a very prestigious law firm. Howard was actually good with that until Chuck, a man he greatly admired, told him that Jimmy was not qualified and made Howard do the dirty work of telling Jimmy. Somehow Howard is an asshole for this?

What I am seeing here is that Jimmy is such a good con man that he has conned many of you into thinking the people he targets are the bad guys.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At the end of the day though, how great was Patrick Fabian in the role of Howard that we're STILL debating the nature of his character 6 years into the show.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The wheelchair and the boxing match certainly seemed out of character. I think they were trying to show that Howard, who has been such a nice guy, is really struggling with his own personal issues. His wife is no longer interested in him and Jimmy has begun doing irreparable harm to his reputation. He's trying to keep smiling on the outside, but he's hurting. A lot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The raised eyebrow from Clifford when he saw Howard bring in the wheelchair was, I believe, meant to tell the viewers that this was not something Howard does normally.

p.s. I really want the final episode to reveal that Clifford is really the person running all the cartels.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Eddie Murphy comes in, points at Cliff, and says "That's the Iceman!"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cliff is just a front man for Tina who is the real shot caller.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the way, the insanely funny Jessie Ennis plays Howard's intern, Erin.

If you've never watched Mythic Quest on Apple TV, she's one of the main reasons to do so. I really wish they'd let her cut loose on Better Call Saul, but since it's not a complete comedy, it probably wouldn't work. However, she can STILL make even the most awkward piece of drama somewhat funny just with a tone or expression. I really hope she continues getting noticed.
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:36 am By the way, the insanely funny Jessie Ennis plays Howard's intern, Erin.

If you've never watched Mythic Quest on Apple TV, she's one of the main reasons to do so. I really wish they'd let her cut loose on Better Call Saul, but since it's not a complete comedy, it probably wouldn't work. However, she can STILL make even the most awkward piece of drama somewhat funny just with a tone or expression. I really hope she continues getting noticed.
She now also has a role on second season of the Flight Attendant and is wonderful there too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, now I need to watch that too. Thanks!

She's just drop dead funny on Mythic Quest. When I was looking for a photo of her to post, I came across more than one article talking about how she's gaining a lot of buzz the last few years for her comic turns.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Her last name is almost penis.
:ugeek:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Again with your constant attempts to find the word "penis" in everyone's name?

Mr. Unagi: "Hey honey, let's go see that new Top Gun movie. It stars Tom Penis <snicker>....and Jennifer Penis <snicker>. Ooh...look...it has a cameo from Val..."

Mrs. Unagi: "I've booked us time with a counselor."
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Wow just caught up. Didn't see that coming and it really shook me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:36 am By the way, the insanely funny Jessie Ennis plays Howard's intern, Erin.
And her father John Ennis played the stand-in for the mustachioed Judge - he was on Mr. Show with Bob back in the 90s
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Exodor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:27 am
And her father John Ennis played the stand-in for the mustachioed Judge - he was on Mr. Show with Bob back in the 90s
That's where I recognized him from!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, good catch!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just in case anyone is thinking of picking up a a $0.99 subscription to AMC+ to try and watch Season 6, apparently it will only give you access to the second half of this season - episodes that aired after 7/10 and beyond. Why? Episodes are only available to stream through the AMC+ app 30 days after the air date, which is some grade A nonsense.

Instead, you're better off purchasing S6 for $9.99 because of the Amazon Prime deal. Yes, it's more money than the $2 you'd need to spend to find out what I just did, but you can at least put that $2 towards something useful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

I bought season 6 on Prime Video back when it started. It included all episodes.

Speaking of which, just watched this week's epiosde. WOW.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Great episode. Things are moving along.

Just think of the incredible planning of story arcs that took place before they started the show. Now just imagine the same kind of preparation had been done before the last Star Wars trilogy.