Dying Light?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Dying Light?

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote:Ok, sent the game to godhugh and stimpy. Monkeyfinger, I've added you as a friend (based on your avatar pic). Just accept and I'll send you your copy.
Got it.
Let me know how you want payment.
Thank you.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

GG,

I got the gift, but Steam screwed up when trying to redeem it so it doesn't show up in my library :? . Steam support is saying you should try re-sending it.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Game sent to godhugh and monkeyfinger.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

GreenGoo wrote:Game sent to godhugh and monkeyfinger.
Resend worked. Thanks!
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Redeemed... thanks! Now there's just that pesky little detail about reimbursement. :wink:
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anyone get time in this yet? As someone that enjoyed both Dead Island games (eventually) I've been looking at this for a while...but I'm afraid that motion sickness is going to be a huge problem for me. As a point of reference, some times I get sick in FPSer when there's a narrow FOV or the camera bobs to mimic head movement. It's not something I can always predict and games randomly make me want to hurl (like Jazzpunk) but I'm curious to hear if it's a problem for anyone.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Smoove_B wrote:Anyone get time in this yet? As someone that enjoyed both Dead Island games (eventually) I've been looking at this for a while...but I'm afraid that motion sickness is going to be a huge problem for me. As a point of reference, some times I get sick in FPSer when there's a narrow FOV or the camera bobs to mimic head movement. It's not something I can always predict and games randomly make me want to hurl (like Jazzpunk) but I'm curious to hear if it's a problem for anyone.
There's a slight head bob and the camera does do some intense moving when you're doing parkour, but otherwise it's not too bad. For reference, the head bob in the original STALKER really bothered me, but I haven't had a problem with this so far.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

STALKER was another game I couldn't play without a patch to remove the head bob. No option to turn that off in Dying Light?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Smoove_B wrote:STALKER was another game I couldn't play without a patch to remove the head bob. No option to turn that off in Dying Light?
Not that I've found. There is an in-game option to expand the FOV, however, so you can customize that to your liking. You can also turn off the film grain effect and motion blur, which improves things as well.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, that's something at least. Thanks for the info. I'll do some more research then...because clearly, I need more games. :D
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Redeemed... thanks! Now there's just that pesky little detail about reimbursement. :wink:
I refuse to install until Green Goo is made whole!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:Redeemed... thanks! Now there's just that pesky little detail about reimbursement. :wink:
Guys, we'll figure something out. It's not a huge deal and I sent you guys the game so you could play it without having to worry about how we're going to get the money around.

I don't like paypal and don't use it if I can avoid it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote:
stimpy wrote:
Guys, we'll figure something out. It's not a huge deal and I sent you guys the game so you could play it without having to worry about how we're going to get the money around.

I don't like paypal and don't use it if I can avoid it.
Works for me. If there is a game or 3 you want from Steam, that will work too.
Cant see your wishlist........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The sale ends tomorrow so I'm going to pm you guys the name of a game or two that comes close enough to 15 bucks. If for some reason the price is not what I think it is when you go to buy it don't bother and we can figure something else out another time.

I know there is not a lot of time so if you don't get to it before the sale ends, we can figure something else out.

If for some reason you don't want to or can't buy the game for me that's cool too, we'll work something else out.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Done! :D
-mf
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

When you actually start playing, please let me know how you get past the first jumping parts (tutorial mission as you are following the boss/kid)

I have died maybe 20 times on the first simple jump. Game annoyingly pauses on the way to my falling death, to remind me to push and HOLD space to land the jump, and to look at the ledge.

I have done this every logical and illogical way I can think of in my 30+ years of gaming experience, yet this simple act of jumping has thwarted me.

Not at the rage quit point, but getting there.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote:When you actually start playing, please let me know how you get past the first jumping parts (tutorial mission as you are following the boss/kid)

I have died maybe 20 times on the first simple jump. Game annoyingly pauses on the way to my falling death, to remind me to push and HOLD space to land the jump, and to look at the ledge.

I have done this every logical and illogical way I can think of in my 30+ years of gaming experience, yet this simple act of jumping has thwarted me.

Not at the rage quit point, but getting there.
I played through the tutorial last night and had no difficulty at any point. Is this where you are jumping off the crane? ...because you don't need to jump, just walk off. Otherwise I am not sure where there is a fall long enough to kill you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I don't remember parkour style jumping on the crane itself...just dropping IIRC - I mean the part directly after that where you follow the kid (and arrows) in the half constructed high rise. It seems to be the first real jump you are tasked with in the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My son has been playing it, but I've been waiting for my new system to arrive before trying the game. So I can't help, sorry.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played the game for an hour last night getting through all of the tutorial stuff he is talking about and never died once. I can't imagine what the problem could be.

Record it and post a video?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

great idea! That would also satisfy some Steam badge deal or the other. Page of like 100 "completed" icons, and "post a video" is the only one greyed out. Now to figure out how to do that!

Woot

Ah ha...I see I'm not the only one (there are probably 2 of us, total): https://steamcommunity.com/app/239140/d ... 421600801/
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've played a few hours now. In the beginning at least, this game is hard. How do you kill those guys with the big rebar/concrete sledgehammers? ouch.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finally got around to playing it.

First, I love it. I love the leveling system and despite not finding the controls intuitive and still have muscle memory issues after 15-20 hours of play, the parkour is a lot of fun. I do get slightly frustrated when I can't climb a background scenery ladder (one that goes no where, it's just a model and not a "climbable" game object) or when a hill is "too steep" to climb (despite knowing I could climb it in real life and I have the parkour abilities of a garbage can) or a rock face that any rock climber could ascend easily is not climbable.

I have lots of observations but they'll have to wait until I have more time.

I will say that I absolutely suck at combat. I don't know what the problem is but I die constantly. Even a small group of 4-5 biters can beat the shit out of me, and if I'm really sucking, I can even die to 2 biters (although not often. 2 biters is about my max number that are "easy" for me). Frogs destroy me before I even know they're there, and more than 2 virals means I run or I die. I do plenty of night work, but volatiles are so far out of my reach that I don't fight anything at night if I can help it. Even a small fight can bring volatiles running.

My weapons are only just now reaching the 100 damage mark. I've died so many times that my survival leveling has really suffered, despite doing all optional missions and chasing down air drops when I can.

My levels are survival: 9, agility: 13, power: 10.

Fun game. More comments later.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:I've played a few hours now. In the beginning at least, this game is hard. How do you kill those guys with the big rebar/concrete sledgehammers? ouch.
The game is supposed to be very difficult at first, inspiring you to avoid contact with zombies at all costs. It does a pretty good job of it, I think. Where I am now (in terms of gameplay) zombies are more plentiful and much more aggressive (and that's just the biters) so while I can move and fight much better than at the beginning of the game, I still need to pay attention.

The first rebar guy you fight comes early enough that you don't have many skills yet. I think you have "drop kick" at that point though, and that will push him back and stun him slightly. But the most straightforward way is to just time your attacks based on his recovery time. Lure him into a big overhead swing, dodge (even use the skill "dodge" or if you don't have it, just physically move) out of the way then run in and whack him. He's got a ton of health and your weapons are super weak at that point, so it takes a good 20ish hits to put him down.

There are also some environmental features that can be used to hurt him if I remember correctly. Firecrackers in oil will burn him (but won't kill him) and there are propane tanks around as well.

It's just a long slog of feinting, dodging and attacking if you take a straightforward approach though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any ideas why I keep getting bitten when I try to grapple? I only manage to land, I don't know, maybe 50% of my grapples. Is this intentional or am I just mistiming them or what? Hell, the game even pops up a visual indicator when the grapple move is available and I still get eaten. This feels like your basic move from any of the batman, shadows of mordor or mad max games (positioning, timing plus joystick and button press), but I keep missing somehow. A number of things about the game are really starting to piss me off and this is one of them. Why on earth would I EVER try to grapple if I'm at serious risk of getting bitten each time (assuming missing is a game mechanic and not me just sucking)?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm getting pretty pissed at the game. I just find it frustrating how poor I am at combat and how quickly it can go south and result in lost survival experience.

I'm running up a hill along a path through the rock face. I turn a corner and stumble across a number of Rais's guys. I decide to get some practice in combat and stop. I'm dead within about 10 seconds, maybe less.

I realize the game is about survival and not combat, but there is an entire combat skill tree and I'm level 11 in it. I don't think a momentary pause from running and couple of swings of my hammer should result in my death in such a short period of time.

The ease with which I die and the loss of experience every time I do has actually driven me away from the game. I'm really disappointed. Dying Light has been a game that I've waited forever to drop in price and was really looking forward to playing on my new system. The initial stages of the game were everything I had hoped it would be and despite high expectations I found it was even better than I hoped.

Now I don't even want to load it up. *sad face*
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

yup
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

So, I've beaten the game now (~37 hours) and here are some combat tips for the early game that helped me:

1) KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK
2) KICK
3) KICK
4) KICK

Seriously, until you start getting bladed weapons that can slice heads off in one swing (which is awesome, btw), your best combo will be a quick kick to the gut and then a strong smack with a blunt weapon to the head. A couple of those should just about take any biter out. Works pretty well with Virals as well, but the timing of the kick is a little tighter. I never used grapple, power attacks, whirlwinds, camouflage, or shields until the end-game and I only really used them then for a little variety. Also, don't underestimate the power of ranged weapons. Most can take out a Spitter in one shot if you get them in the head and 6-10 should take out the big guys as well. Finally, make use of mods and upgrades and get the perks that extend weapon durability ASAP. Find the best one-handed blunt weapon you can, mod/upgrade the crap out of it, and just start kicking and hitting.

Really, it's this sense of progression that I enjoyed most about the game. To go from struggling with single Biters/Virals at the beginning to standing on a rooftop at night slicing and dicing 10+ Volatiles with a weapon that does 800+ damage is an awesome feeling.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't own the game, nor have I played it but I am following the thread because I'm interested (but have been avoiding mainly because of motion sickness potential). The reason I'm following along though is because I really enjoyed the Dead Island games - created by the same developer. So why am I commenting? Because I almost stopped playing Dead Island Riptide last year over frustrations with the combat -- I didn't remember it being so difficult. But what I then finally recalled is what godhugh mentioned and apparently that design element has followed through into this game. Mainly, that you can't just offensively melee the zombies. You need to take a defensive position in the Dead Island games and dodge or preemptively stun them through kicking THEN melee attack them. The fun in Dead Island wasn't just a mindless attack-attack-attack but instead getting into a rhythm of response from the variable zombie attack strategies. Some would be slow, some would run at you full speed, others would actually totally ignore you. As long as you could stun or dodge it was simply a matter of riposting (thanks D&D!) and cleaning up.

Anyway, I figured I'd jump in. Ignore if not applicable.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

godhugh wrote:So, I've beaten the game now (~37 hours) and here are some combat tips for the early game that helped me:

1) KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK
2) KICK
3) KICK
4) KICK
This is me. And it feels so brutal that while I'll let my oldest watch me smash and chop zombies apart, I won't let him watch me kick a zombie's skull against a curb 40 times (before I got stomp) because it's too much like a real life beating to death of another human being.

Thanks for the tips.

I like the game too much to give up on it. I'll probably return sometime over the weekend, or after a week or something.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have been really enjoying this game. Once the tutorial was ended, have been playing only co-op, and loving the crap out of it. and then the final mission is inexplicably single player only. So I gave it a few goes.
That was a mistake, it the least fun I have had in a video game this year, possibly the least fun in the past several years.
I won't put any spoilers, there is an entire internet for that. The style of gameplay changes, and once you start the mission, there is no going back.
So now my character is locked into a mission I can't beat, making the entire rest of the game invalid.

I sure hope there is a cheat code available to get me out of it.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't played in months now. I keep it installed hoping Ill get back to it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Haven't played in months now. I keep it installed hoping Ill get back to it.
Ditto.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im back to trying to play this but Ive forgotten so much. Im not sure what to craft. I keep my medkits, firecrackers and molotovs in stock for sure. But should I be adding effects like electricity and fire to my weapons or is that a waste? they seem to break so fast and I can only repair them so many times. That one feature is about to make my delete the game. its crazy how fast stuff breaks.

Other than exploring and working the quests what should I bee doing? Should I collect all the junk I can find? Im not sure what to do

Also how does saving work in this game? Does it save when I go to the tower? I cant find a way to do it on my own.

And should I be buying stuff? I dont get much for what I sell. I have about 11k saved up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh fucking hell those towers!! The ones in Far Cry never gave me a problem..least not a bad one. But these are freaking me out. Im almost sick after just two of them. The wind howls, the towers wobble, and the railings are missing. Then sometimes my character just refuses to grab a ledge that he has grabbed 10 times before and I die. Other times theres no way to climb but outside the edge on a piece that barely lets me stand on it.

Im really almost physically sick. Two questions...

1. Is it worth climbing to the very top past where the missing is? Is there anything really worth it up there?

2. I did it once and found junk but then I cannot seem to climb down. Ive go to the edge. I squat. I go backwards. Nothing brings up a climb down ability. I had to fall last time enough to get to the zip line area. Nearly killed me. How do I get down if I do go up?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have GOT to find a mod or something to make my weapons stop breaking. This is just ridiculous. Like 1 or 2 zombies and my weapon is trash. I only get 3 repairs. Just plain stupid.

EDIT: Never mind I simply deleted the game. Was pretty good into it but should have known better than to bother when I saw it had item decay. Thats a feature I just CANNOT STAND EVER. I looked online and there are ways to edit stuff to fix that but I dont have to fool with that because I have plenty of games to choose from. Ill not buy from them again.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:should have known better than to bother when I saw it had item decay. Thats a feature I just CANNOT STAND EVER.
I don't mind it to a degree, but it's an annoyance that most of the time only serves as a time-wasting mechanic to keep the game's "hours" rating up. With item decay? 20 hours! Without? 10!

The only time it's been okay with me is when something either lasts a good long time before it breaks - or when the breaking is 'realistic' in the setting. If I'm using a wooden fence plank to beat things, I expect it might only be good for a few swings. A 2x4 would last longer. A crowbar should be damn hard to break.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote:A crowbar should be damn hard to break.
The Walking Dead is a lie, zombie skulls are like reinforced concrete!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote:
Paingod wrote:A crowbar should be damn hard to break.
The Walking Dead is a lie, zombie skulls are like reinforced concrete!
Then they should add a new game mechanic - hand numbness. Each time you hit something, this bar goes up. Weapons get harder and harder to hold on to the longer you use them without a break. Gloves can help reduce this, but they also decay. At 100% hand numbness, all you can do is flail your arms in front of you ineffectually and run until you regain sensation in your fingers.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

lol