How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: How is your career going?

Post by hepcat »

I have a bald spot on top of my head these days. Sadly, my follicles are no longer mighty.
He won. Period.

Post by Default »

Like you ever needed an excuse to wear a Quiet Riot style poodle wig?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fun fact: hepcat used to donate hair for those poodle wigs.

Funner fact: the hair didn't come from his head.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:07 pm I've been doing to job I am doing for many years. And I am good at it. Like, I earn more than my manager good at it, and everybody is OK with that. But I am getting burned out. Currently I am a major incident manager. Monday, I am going to talk to another department, and try to get myself hired into the disaster and business continuity department. I don't know if they have head count, but they need me, and I want to go there, its something I've been passionate about for some time. I don't know how its going to go. Its weird, I am going to a job interview, that I am starting myself, for a department that may not actually have a job opening.

Update. After that meeting, the Manager I went to see offered to be a mentor. There was no immediate opening. Any future openings would require a Certificate I don't have. But thats OK. I also offered to help with the team a few hours a week, as long as my current boss was ok with it. (yes they are)
Because of the project, we ended up working together a few more times, and I was able to demonstrate competence, and not just talk about myself as being awesome. Also, the Manager must have asked around, who is this arrogant person who just walked into my office and said "you need me on your team". Manager must have heard that I do in fact, have the skills to pay the bills.

So now there is a new job posted. The Manager directly told me to apply, and followed up the next day, asking if I applied yet. I am studying for the certificate, using material provided by the Manager. I think that this is all pretty good stuff for me, I am really excited, and I just wanted to share.

Now I need to find a copy of my resume, which is only 10 years out of date.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's really great. Way to carve you own path!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:clap: I love everything about that tale! May your future in Risk Assessment, DRP, and business continuity in a dedicated department go teh awesome.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Congrats man!
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And yet my quest for a job offer continues to be elusive.

Today I got an email from a recruiter who previously tried to shoe-horn me into an opening at a Green Bay hospital that was probably only a 50% fit. She came back today with another job in Merrill, WI - about a 4 1/2 hour each way commute that for now is remote. I told her it would need to be always remote -- I'm willing to make that drive for rare special occasions only. I think she really just wants to convert me to be a Packer's fan, which will never happen. This is another 50% fit as they really want someone with Insurance industry experience, of which I have almost none.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got another interview today, it's the initial screening with the talent acquisition guy. I may get a decision to go onto next step in 24-48 hours. THEN I get to meet the rest of the team. *sigh* It's regular helpdesk, but at least it's a job and it's in tech.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds

Post by Default »

I've been home for almost a month due to the foot surgery, and all I've is watch Youtube videos on building stuff, fix guitars, and play with my two cats. I could really get into this retirement plan, except for the 66% cut in income. :roll: Should be back to work on Monday in some form. Then I go back into the meatgrinder and just save as much as I can. I'm greatful that I didn't have to bounce from job to job, like a lot of you have to.
I understand the benefits of that.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I've mentioned before, I've got a nice little sum in my 401k and no debt beyond the remaining six months on my car. I've come to grips with the fact that my company's impending sale to a PE may result in my being laid off (despite what I'm being told by the higher ups), and after running the numbers, I think I could retire on a livable amount. This belief is being reflected in my being less likely to accept crap from the lead developer in our company who takes out his frustrations on everyone else...and frequently.

I feel like I've turned a corner. Every day I remain employed is just more cash into my retirement fund, in my eyes. If I do get laid off, I can choose whether or not to stay retired, or try something a bit less stressful for a while. It's a nice change from my initial panic mode after learning about the company's sale.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 am I feel like I've turned a corner. Every day I remain employed is just more cash into my retirement fund, in my eyes. If I do get laid off, I can choose whether or not to stay retired, or try something a bit less stressful for a while. It's a nice change from my initial panic mode after learning about the company's sale.
Welcome to the club. Only for me, it's every day I work until they find my transition. My boss even says, "What're we gonna do? Fire you?" every time report a problem. The only difference is I see myself at about an 17 month short fall between now an my 59.5th birthday, so I have to build in how cheap I have to be to insulate to cover those 17 months. Every month I work cuts about 2 months out of the need... or increases my monthly projected budget by about $80 between now and 59.5. If they fire me today (or accept my resignation) things are gonna be tight and I'll probably have to find a well paying, flexible part time job in couple of years. If they somehow manage to talk me into staying here full time for another 8 or 9 months for the transition, I think I'm set. I don't think I have the stamina to come close to 8 or 9 more months though and it's exacerbated by driving in when it's pitch black outside.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Great (not), got the same brush-off "we're moving forward with other candidates at this time". F*** me.

Apparently I'm OVERqualified for positions I applied for, which somehow makes me unsuitable. It's just regular tech support and helpdesk, for f***'s sake.

When a call center rejected me for unknown reasons (people keep saying call centers will take almost any one), it's getting pretty f***ing depressing. I'm seeing the same jobs I've applied to and been rejected from being advertised again.

I've applied for remote only jobs, and haven't heard back from ANYONE.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The only way I understand that overqualified thing is if they need a long term position and fear you'll jump ship, using them as placeholder.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Saying someone is overqualified can be about worrying that a person might not be a good fit for a lot of reasons. However, I've found more often than not it is a equivalent of saying it's not you it's me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The most frustrating part is I'm applying for positions that only need 1-2 years of experience and I'm not even getting an interview. I can't even get past the initial screener, or I never even get a callback.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sorry, but if you are applying for entry-level helpdesk jobs with a resume that lists "full-stack developer", something-something certificate, something-something bootcamp - of course you are not getting a callback. That's the definition of being "overqualified", not to mention desperate. They are not looking for an IT wiz, they just want a team player. Seriously...dumb it down. Set up a new LinkedIn page if you have to (although not sure how much good that would do, seeing as you are all over the internet under your real name).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've quickly turned aside people who would have rocked the job with their experience but had so much of it that I fully expect they'd continue interviewing elsewhere and just use my employer to pay the bills while they continued to hunt. Few employers want to act as waystations between jobs. Most places are hoping to keep people for at least a year or two.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am not getting callbacks on ANY job I applied for, from webdev to tech support. Not even as a junior webdev. That full stack certificate cost me 10K and didn't do me any good.

My work history is I stay at a job for 8-10 years, unless I was downsized (usually when I was working outside of tech). I don't give a **** about promotion or such.

I've also been out of tech for an extended time period (doing job as office manager, delivery driver, autonomous vehicle operator) so I believe I am more suitable in a more entry-level position and work my way up. Part of the problem is I didn't get any certifications along the way. No A+, no MCSE or that sort of thing.

I've tried applying at MSPs and they want A+ and MCSE certs. They don't care about my experience, only my lack of certs.

Right now I'm applying for remote jobs. My double-DSL hopefully is fast enough. We shall see.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm thinking about A+ cert just to get back to work. I am trying to find a way to get exam vouchers cheaper. I know A+ sells "academic" test vouchers for $106, but I don't know if admission into my local community college qualifies. And when I search my local college they only really list their own courses for A+ prep without saying anything about getting discounted test vouchers. If I don't get a student discount then the test will be like 206 each (which is still a little discounted from $236) And I'll need two of them.

I'm also looking at ITIL v4 as that's one I've seen required every once in a while.

EDIT: Then there's this story going viral on Reddit that makes me sigh in despair.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 am As I've mentioned before, I've got a nice little sum in my 401k and no debt beyond the remaining six months on my car. I've come to grips with the fact that my company's impending sale to a PE may result in my being laid off (despite what I'm being told by the higher ups), and after running the numbers, I think I could retire on a livable amount. This belief is being reflected in my being less likely to accept crap from the lead developer in our company who takes out his frustrations on everyone else...and frequently.

I feel like I've turned a corner. Every day I remain employed is just more cash into my retirement fund, in my eyes. If I do get laid off, I can choose whether or not to stay retired, or try something a bit less stressful for a while. It's a nice change from my initial panic mode after learning about the company's sale.
Good for you, I’m sincerely glad to read this. Sounds like a healthy take of acceptance vs the panic I sensed in previous posts.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well it's official, I have been working on getting a promotion to Director for many years, and while the interview was six weeks ago, HR called today, and offered me the job.

So it's a nice 20+% bump in pay, and a lot more percenmtage for my bonus pay outs.

Also, a huge jump in responsibility, but something I have wanted for a long time, so it's off to the races time.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm thinking of raising my hourly rate again next year, from $60 to $75 (last January I went from $50 to $60). I like $60 because $1 per minute is really easy for accounting. But I'd also like a 25% raise, and I don't think my clients will balk. One of them routinely pays my 25% rush fee anyway, and NVIDIA hired me to do their spring GTC before I even finished fall. They'll get grandfathered...once.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Do it, Kraken...you are undervaluating your services and that's not good for the industry at large.

The other day (on Halloween) I got an email from a recruiter regarding a job that's in my wheelhouse. She asked about my availability for 3 days this week, which I provided The response...crickets. Sigh.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Congratulations, RMC. I know you've been working hard on it for a while.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:36 pm Well it's official, I have been working on getting a promotion to Director for many years, and while the interview was six weeks ago, HR called today, and offered me the job.

So it's a nice 20+% bump in pay, and a lot more percenmtage for my bonus pay outs.

Also, a huge jump in responsibility, but something I have wanted for a long time, so it's off to the races time.
Whoo hoo, congrats!
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 am Congratulations, RMC. I know you've been working hard on it for a while.
Thanks, the last six weeks was rough, poor Hepcat had to listen to me whine about it during Origins. I owe him for being someone to listen to me for a weekend.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:44 am
RMC wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:36 pm Well it's official, I have been working on getting a promotion to Director for many years, and while the interview was six weeks ago, HR called today, and offered me the job.

Whoo hoo, congrats!
Thanks! And thanks for listening to me whine about it during Origins. ;)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Congrats RMC! It's nice when the hard work gets recognized with more than just lip service!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Woot! RMC!

Just interviewed my first potential replacement. What I discovered is I don't like interviewing people and I don't the skill set for doing so. Even though I know my job, I don't have the tools the recognize how well someone else would step up to the plate.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I hate interviewing. To be fair, I really hate all HR aspects of having employees and I'm pleased that I don't have any!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
RMC

Post by RMC »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:49 am I hate interviewing. To be fair, I really hate all HR aspects of having employees and I'm pleased that I don't have any!
Lol. The higher I go up, the less direct reports I have, so less primary interviewing I have to do, the more my managers have to do.

Interviewing is not bad, but the HR issues that people create are always the crazy things!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm not a fan of interviewing but we have some very objective interview standards (that RM9 would hate) that makes it easier for me to make an assessment and I am recognized most every quarter as a top interviewer and that helps my annual review. Also, top interviewers gets a $250 "bonus" each quarter which motivates a little bit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I may have gotten myself another interview. Let's see if I can make it past the initial screener this time. :-\ :whistle:

EDIT: Weird, Now I have THREE phone interviews all for tomorrow. :-/
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats, RMC! And congrats to OO, whose hosting fees are on RMC next year!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:23 pm Congrats, RMC! And congrats to OO, whose hosting fees are on RMC next year!
Lol, I will help. But my oldest starts college next year, and two more after her. Sigh...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:49 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:23 pm Congrats, RMC! And congrats to OO, whose hosting fees are on RMC next year!
Lol, I will help. But my oldest starts college next year, and two more after her. Sigh...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:49 pm
I thought you only had two and a half kids? :?
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

First interview was a bit off, I personally rate it at no more than 40% chance even though it seems a good fit otherwise, as I speak the language and can do the job, but will they take a chance with me... and the job's about 1 hour away by public transit?

Second interview was a bust. It's a recruiting call as they want me to sign up as an insurance sales drone. I am NOT trying to get into sales. Don't have the heart for it.

Here's hoping the third one will be a bit happier.

EDIT: Slightly better, but then, a lot of these basically everything sounds okay, then you get the "we will not be moving forward with your application at this time". :-P
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

On Halloween, I got a response from a job I applied for, asking for interview availability. I never heard back, but at 9 am this morning, got a call. They did send an email, for some reason it never appeared in my inbox or any of my other email boxes (but I found it by searching on the sender...after the fact). This meant I wasn't well prepared. It's an ass-in-the-office job downtown, and when she asked my salary requirements, she asked if it was negotiable (it is, but along the lines of if it's less, it better be WFH). Not expecting much from this one.

Meanwhile, a recruiter who's been trying to place me for a month or so sent what appears to be an ideal job, and is WFH. I think her goal is to make me a Packer's fan...the other jobs she tried to get me into are in Wisconsin (one actually in Green Bay). This particular gig it seems she doesn't yet have the green light to recruit, she was just doing some pre-work based on rumors or somesuch. But 100% WFH is the most ideal. She's a recruiter from a company I don't have any legacy of success with, but she seems to like me and wants to find me something. We'll see.

Meanwhile, my wife thinks her egg farm will be profitable as soon as next month. The condo she bought in Manila is now worth twice her early buy-in price, but won't be ready for occupancy until 2024. She's come across another property in Ormoc, the town where we had our wedding reception that would cost about $100 per month if she buys it. She's sending her sister there to investigate...it's near the biggest mall in town and close to the airport, so it might be a serviceable property to buy for AirBnB. I did tell her we need to start seeing income from her other properties so we can reinvest into still more. It's going to take income from all of these sources before we could comfortably move there (and she doesn't expect this to be for another couple of years -- when I can start drawing Social Security). While we can hire a private tutor for schooling for dirt cheap (any labor there is dirt cheap), I'm more worried about the kids social development. Occupying the condo in Manila would be somewhat better than a house in Ormoc. The latter, a provincial town, has fewer English speaking residents (percentage-wise) than Manila, which mandates English as an international city. If the kids inherited the gene from me that makes learning foreign languages impossible, they are probably fucked. OTOH most of the media personalities there are mixed-race, so the kid's would have an advantage there.
Black Lives Matter