How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: How is your career going?

Post by RunningMn9 »

pr0ner wrote:Occasionally working for the government has its benefits. I got 5% this year.
We switched to an alternate pay banding system. One of the advantages seems to be that merit increases are disconnected from the across the board raises.

I took about a 6% salary hit to transition last summer but reclaimed about 5.4% with the across the board bump. That was helpful.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’ve been in my current job for going on 9 years. For most of that time, I’ve loved the job and the company. I’ve been promoted once and feel like I’m compensated fairly. I’d like to advance and take on some new challenges, but I’m also not incredibly ambitious in that way or driven by title or the number of people that report to me, which is good, because there is a log jam at the top and very little room for advancement in my org. While I’d love to take over my boss’s role and believe I could kill that job, that’s not happening unless he moves up or on, and there’s no clear path forward for that to happen. All that aside, for most of my time here, I could never imagine working anywhere else, and I felt this would be a place I’d eventually retire from.

But things started to change over the past few years. We got a new CEO just before the pandemic, a hire that was external to the company. He never seemed like a natural fit, but because of the timing and all the issues with the pandemic, I think most were willing to give him a pass and a pretty long leash. But, now, 3 years or so into his tenure, things are not looking good. Our stock price has dropped 45% from its most recent peak, and the morale in the company is abysmal. All vestiges of the former leadership team are pretty much gone, and there is little to no confidence in the senior leaders that are currently in place. To many both inside and outside the company, it feels like the company has lost its way.

We’ve also been hit with very significant layoffs recently. My job and team are safe, but we’ve seen many colleagues and friends depart, and the new structure that has been put in place doesn’t make a ton of sense given the company’s professed strategic priorities.

With all that as background, a couple weeks back, I got a LinkedIn request for a meeting from a talent acquisition person at a company I’ve always been incredibly interested in. I wouldn’t usually respond, but given the company doing the asking and the fact that they were recruiting for a position that sounded like the next step up for me, I connected with them, and we had a call. That first call went great, and I had a second call with someone else there in HR/recruiting on Friday. That meeting went even better, and I learned more about the position, which confirmed that they are essentially hiring for my boss’s job at this other company in an org that they are in the process of building out. The job sounds amazing and would give me increased responsibility and new challenges. The bummer is, while they’re hiring for my boss’s job, they’re not paying my boss’s compensation (or what I assume is my boss’s compensation). While this would be a significant advancement for me in terms of role, the compensation is almost exactly what I’m making right now in my current role; it’s a little more, but no more than an annual expected raise and not commensurate with an actual promotion.

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, as I’ve only met with HR/recruiters so far, but I’m supposed to meet with the hiring manager (potential new boss) in the next week or so. I feel like this is something I have to explore, and I’m admittedly excited at the potential opportunity of working at this new company, both because of the role and the company. But I am concerned about the comp situation.

Would you consider a move to a new company you’ve always been a fan of when that move would be a promotion in role but a lateral move in terms of compensation? Does that make sense? :think:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You almost always take a promotion in role (unless it's too detrimental financially, like if it's in a really small company and would actually be a pay cut; or if it's a ruse by your current company to dump more responsibilities on you without appropriate compensation). Once you have a more advanced title on your resume, you just opened up a new "layer" of opportunities, in terms of both future career possibilities or future raises in the current role. Like, in your current position, you may be in the upper salary band, but in the new position you would be joining at the bottom of the salary band with more significant raises potentially happening down the line.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Lassr wrote:Yep, and I hear talk of 7% next year, but I highly doubt that happens.
While I also doubt it happens, as a general rule (at least in certain localities), the GS scale is still 20-30% behind private industry. So I get why they are going to ask for it.
Make up bags of change
dfs

Post by dfs »

Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 pmWould you consider a move to a new company you’ve always been a fan of when that move would be a promotion in role but a lateral move in terms of compensation?
Yes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 pm Would you consider a move to a new company you’ve always been a fan of when that move would be a promotion in role but a lateral move in terms of compensation? Does that make sense? :think:
Seems like that would be a very savvy move, especially since your current company seems to have lost its way.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

gilraen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:55 pm You almost always take a promotion in role (unless it's too detrimental financially, like if it's in a really small company and would actually be a pay cut; or if it's a ruse by your current company to dump more responsibilities on you without appropriate compensation). Once you have a more advanced title on your resume, you just opened up a new "layer" of opportunities, in terms of both future career possibilities or future raises in the current role. Like, in your current position, you may be in the upper salary band, but in the new position you would be joining at the bottom of the salary band with more significant raises potentially happening down the line.
Only other wrinkle is that the new title is lateral as well. I don’t put too much stock in that, but I’d be moving from a senior director role to a senior director role. The step up at my current company is to a VP role, but VPs are few and far between at the new place. There are a couple dozen of them in my current org, but less than a quarter of that number at the potential new place.

So the role/responsibilities and place in the org at the new place would be a step up even if the title is not.

I don’t think that should weigh heavily in the calculus, but it’s still something I’m thinking about.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Are you able to do any market research to understand how the job responsibilities are categorized at companies besides the two you mentioned? I mean - are the new responsibilities generally seen in your field as VP level or director level? And then have you looked into how VP and director level positions are compensated elsewhere? It could be that your company overpays or over-titles. Could be that your current company is perfectly inline with the overall industry and the new company is just at the lower end.

Titles don't have to matter, but they do open doors if you ever decide to look for a job.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:21 am Titles don't have to matter, but they do open doors if you ever decide to look for a job.
If this thing turns out to be a real opportunity, this would be my concern, too. The title looks lateral. The comp is lateral. But the job itself is not.

Not really sure how to do market research on this. Most of the people I would want to talk to get more information are people that I’d feel uncomfortable telling I was thinking about other opportunities. I’ll think on that some more and see what I can find out that’s publicly available. The problem with that is that so many people can’t be trusted by what they put on LinkedIn and other public-facing sources of information. Lots of puffery and self-promotion going on.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:55 pm
stessier wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:21 am Titles don't have to matter, but they do open doors if you ever decide to look for a job.
If this thing turns out to be a real opportunity, this would be my concern, too. The title looks lateral. The comp is lateral. But the job itself is not.

Not really sure how to do market research on this. Most of the people I would want to talk to get more information are people that I’d feel uncomfortable telling I was thinking about other opportunities. I’ll think on that some more and see what I can find out that’s publicly available. The problem with that is that so many people can’t be trusted by what they put on LinkedIn and other public-facing sources of information. Lots of puffery and self-promotion going on.
You can ask this rather anonymously on Fishbowl, you just have to find the right forum. I’ve seen some VERY candid posts giving insight and info about large companies and niche higher level roles there. Things you would never, ever see on LinkedIn. Unless its changed considerably since I last visited..
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:09 pm
Kurth wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:55 pm

You can ask this rather anonymously on Fishbowl, you just have to find the right forum. I’ve seen some VERY candid posts giving insight and info about large companies and niche higher level roles there. Things you would never, ever see on LinkedIn. Unless its changed considerably since I last visited..
Never heard of that. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:32 pm While I also doubt it happens, as a general rule (at least in certain localities), the GS scale is still 20-30% behind private industry. So I get why they are going to ask for it.
I get so sick of media asking why government aren't laying off people during economic down turns but silence when the economy is booming and we are being paid much less than private industry.

Not being laid off (i.e. employment stability) is one of the most significant benefits of government employment. It's part of our original decision making for our careers.

Something the media also doesn't care about is how hard it is to get qualified people to work for the government at such a reduced wage. We are almost chronically short staff and often pay signing bonuses when we can find someone. If we laid them off during a weak quarter? We'd never see them again.

I also get that the image of the lazy worker at the dmv making life hard for everyone is a stereotype, but the government does so much good, honest, important work that it is frustrating to have the media treat all government everywhere as a punching bag. This should also be part of y our decision making for your career. I can live with most of it, but they need to shut the fuck up about trying to get me fired because private industry is struggling. FU, assholes.

We don't get to share in prosperity but we should only share in economic suffering? Our work is not profit based, douche nozzles, but so much of it helps private industry make profit, often for cheap.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That’s the deal, I trade cash for stability. If I don’t get the stability part of the equation, why would anyone do this job?
Make up bags of change
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got pulled into a meeting yesterday with a select group of others and was told explicitly that I'm keeping my job, and that the others previously impacted by the layoff announcement would be getting their 60 day notices in a couple of months.

While there's certainly nothing stopping them from cutting more jobs at a later date, it's at least the first real confirmation I've had from upper management that my position is "safe."

I'm still banking money, still keeping the resume updated, but I certainly feel better about things than I did a month ago. At the very least this whole experience has been a huge wake-up call.
raydude

Post by raydude »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:30 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:32 pm While I also doubt it happens, as a general rule (at least in certain localities), the GS scale is still 20-30% behind private industry. So I get why they are going to ask for it.
I get so sick of media asking why government aren't laying off people during economic down turns but silence when the economy is booming and we are being paid much less than private industry.

Not being laid off (i.e. employment stability) is one of the most significant benefits of government employment. It's part of our original decision making for our careers.

Something the media also doesn't care about is how hard it is to get qualified people to work for the government at such a reduced wage. We are almost chronically short staff and often pay signing bonuses when we can find someone. If we laid them off during a weak quarter? We'd never see them again.

I also get that the image of the lazy worker at the dmv making life hard for everyone is a stereotype, but the government does so much good, honest, important work that it is frustrating to have the media treat all government everywhere as a punching bag. This should also be part of y our decision making for your career. I can live with most of it, but they need to shut the fuck up about trying to get me fired because private industry is struggling. FU, assholes.

We don't get to share in prosperity but we should only share in economic suffering? Our work is not profit based, douche nozzles, but so much of it helps private industry make profit, often for cheap.
I would also point out that, IMHO, it seems there is one political party who seems to delight in trying to downsize government without thinking about what that would mean to the average citizen. Then there are also the pupeteers behind the scenes who would like nothing less than to have a constrained government that is thereby limited in trying to find accountability and fraud.

Post by Default »

This all sounds so familiar...
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:00 am I got pulled into a meeting yesterday with a select group of others and was told explicitly that I'm keeping my job, and that the others previously impacted by the layoff announcement would be getting their 60 day notices in a couple of months.

While there's certainly nothing stopping them from cutting more jobs at a later date, it's at least the first real confirmation I've had from upper management that my position is "safe."

I'm still banking money, still keeping the resume updated, but I certainly feel better about things than I did a month ago. At the very least this whole experience has been a huge wake-up call.
Glad to hear you’re safe. My current company is going through some very large layoffs right now (~10-15% of our local workforce of about 10K). My larger org is about 400, and we lost 45 people. We were told to work from home last week so they could have the meetings with the impacted over Zoom. Returning to the office this week, there are a lot of people gone. Friends and colleagues. Some were in jobs that didn’t make a lot of sense, but others were skilled and competent and in jobs that seemed important to the company. Tough times to go through, even if you are not impacted.

In other news, the new company that reached out to me about an interesting opportunity was reported as going through layoffs this week, too. So, that’s great. :roll:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

20 percent more pay. 8 hours a week less driving. The actual job so far is easier. People are nice. I don't know what to do with myself.

OK, ok, the free coffee isn't that tasty.

I have half a tank of gas and I last got gas Feb 6th. I can't even.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hit it.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Got an exceeds for my annual review (4 outta 5), which they are supposed to be using a somewhat more bell curve for that, so great.

Last year was around 3% increase (same performance rating, better than nothing, but against the 8-9% inflation, not so great).

Expected if I'm lucky, it'll be that much again. Close... except I got promoted (completely unexpected, same job, more senior title, like going from level 1 to level 2 sort of thing; a promotion out of my position completely would likely be to management, no thanks!) with a couple % more for that, a one time adjustment and an unexpected bonus.

Quite likely best year ever!

Not that I don't work hard or don't think I deserve it, it's just finally my time I guess. I didn't really thinking I did anything to make me more deserving last year than I had the last several years.

Now I'm a little nervous about what they're looking for this year, though they told me I was already doing the work for the promotion. Not looking for more, just keep doing what I'm doing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Are you running a 40 year long scam, called a "career"? :D
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.

Post by Default »

106 days left in uniform. I have a meeting set up at the union hall, where they will help me fill out the paperwork, and will give me an initial guesstimate on what the monthly income will be. End of April, I'll sign up for Social Security benefits.
Still can't believe that I am this stage of life. I guess it helps to never look in a mirror.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:33 pm The company is still really amazing. I’d have zero reservations recommending friends come work here. I do report through a different management structure and to a different human from when I started (the management chain is a slight improvement as I’m now considered part of manufacturing rather than test; the direct manager is a pretty big step backward as he has a “just good enough” philosophy which is at odds with my preferred way of doing things, but he still relies heavily on me and very obviously appreciates me — I’ve never seen such a glowing review, and I actually got a raise after nine months). The work is fun (but not terrifically challenging—the biggest thing is no unforced errors), the people pretty terrific, and the company culture is stellar (pun not intended). It’s still pretty physical with the positives and negatives that entails. If I didn’t live in fear/annoyance of how my boss handles his side of things, I’d struggle to find any real negatives.
This was my last post in this thread. Things got a bit ugly for a while, did my post above leave enough breadcrumbs to imagine how things may have gone sour?

Well, I outlasted that boss. The new boss is an absolute 180 and things are very much back in the positive column. Today I received what is very likely the last promotion I'll get in my career, without having direct reports. 2022: +4%; 2023: +4.9%; 2024: +12%.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yesterday I submitted the largest invoice I've ever written. Two hours later I accepted a new client with a small job. I'm not looking for new business, but people keep finding me. I want to semi-retire by the end of this year, but meanwhile, it's going pretty well.