How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

raydude

Re: How is your career going?

Post by raydude »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:29 pm I do NOT mention full-stack webdev or even other qualifications UNLESS they specifically mention programming or scripting needed.

The problem is more like... I can't even get a job tutoring kids on programming.
What's cool about our software development group at APL is that people can still get their foot in the door if they have a sufficient background in science. We're hired people with masters and PhD degrees who didn't know any coding, but who've written papers and demonstrated that they can solve scientific problems. That mindset is what we need, any programming stuff they can learn on the job.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RMC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:58 pm If they are applying for an entry level position with credentials for sr leadership?
No, that's too extreme. Think closer....maybe a position that pays $85K vs one that pays $105K. Or even an adjacent job that might have the same seniority, but less pay?

Again, if I find the right fit, I have no desire to be company hopping at this age. I liken it to buyng a house. The first house we bought, we had no idea what we were doing. Didn't ask the right questions, were so excited just to be BUYING a house that we didn't even look that hard to find THE one (and got reamed on comps and commission by our agent). Next house we bought was a completely different process. We knew exactly what we wanted, waited for it, knew how much it was worth (doing our own comps), and negotiated the commission with the agent.

That's similar to where I am now. Hopefully wherever I land now is going to be a lot more of a ..conscious decision, asking the right questions of the potential employer, and actually interviewing them as opposed to just sitting there responding to a barrage of questions. If I find a good fit (and vice versa), I would plan to work there a long time, with no design on using it as a foothold (or at least not any more than I think ANY employee does, no matter age or qualifications).

I have already modified my resume to cut out any work I did before 2000, and actually cut down the time I was at my longest stint.

But I am not sure how I would...de-qualify honestly. I guess make the roles I had sound like they had less responsibility than they did? Ugh. That hits me wrong for some reason, but I see the logic.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:31 am
RMC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:58 pm If they are applying for an entry level position with credentials for sr leadership?
No, that's too extreme. Think closer....maybe a position that pays $85K vs one that pays $105K. Or even an adjacent job that might have the same seniority, but less pay?

Again, if I find the right fit, I have no desire to be company hopping at this age. I liken it to buyng a house. The first house we bought, we had no idea what we were doing. Didn't ask the right questions, were so excited just to be BUYING a house that we didn't even look that hard to find THE one (and got reamed on comps and commission by our agent). Next house we bought was a completely different process. We knew exactly what we wanted, waited for it, knew how much it was worth (doing our own comps), and negotiated the commission with the agent.

That's similar to where I am now. Hopefully wherever I land now is going to be a lot more of a ..conscious decision, asking the right questions of the potential employer, and actually interviewing them as opposed to just sitting there responding to a barrage of questions. If I find a good fit (and vice versa), I would plan to work there a long time, with no design on using it as a foothold (or at least not any more than I think ANY employee does, no matter age or qualifications).

I have already modified my resume to cut out any work I did before 2000, and actually cut down the time I was at my longest stint.

But I am not sure how I would...de-qualify honestly. I guess make the roles I had sound like they had less responsibility than they did? Ugh. That hits me wrong for some reason, but I see the logic.
Oh, I would still bring you in for an interview, and see what you had to say. I'll be honest I have seen a ton of people looking to change directions, and they explain away most of my concerns. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RMC wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:37 pm I hate to admit it, but it is one of my more easy ways to lower the number of applicants.
And this is what I see, contrary to the popular narrative that everyone is hurting for employees and candidates all have hand. This might be the case in bottom of the barrel jobs that nobody really wants (restaurant grease cleaner, roadkill picker-upper, dung collector, Trump's press secretary), but it's certainly NOT what I'm seeing in my industry -- IT infrastructure support and incident management. When I do see feedback, it generally mentions "overwhelming volume of applicants." Lately, recruiters are pitching to me jobs that pay what I was making more than 25 years ago. Really? They honestly believe there's been no salary inflation in IT since Bill Clinton was president? I'm not surprised when I get pitched the same underpaid job for months on end by multiple recruiters seeking someone truly desperate.

I really do want one more gig before sailing off to the Undying Lands. But I want it to be on my terms. My wife has already given her permission for me to consider myself effectively retired, but that means spending my days doing something I'm not particularly good at -- keeping up the house, dealing with the kids without screaming at them, cleaning dog poo off the carpet (we hard floors in the house, why does she always go on the carpet?) While we've worked on our finances over the past 6 months to make it possible to survive on her salary (without much cushion for major unexpected expense, like her recent emergency trip to the Philippines to be by her grandmother's side as she died), Friday she is starting a second job so we will have the cash to travel like she wants to. We're already booked to see the rat in June, and now in December she wants to do a 10 day roadtrip over the holidays that would take us to South Carolina (to visit a friend hers who will by then have a brand new baby), Atlanta (to visit another of her friends and bring her along to...), Alabama (to meet with yet another of her friends, and possibly our former boarder, and add them to the convoy to...), Panama City, where will rent a house, be there for New Years, then but out on the second for a lovely 16 hour drive back to Chicago, so she could hopefully work that night.

I should add, there are approximately no job openings that call for 15 years management experience doing what I do. 5 years? Yes. 7? Sometimes. Often just 2-3. So by your criteria, I'd be overqualified for any job I'd apply for.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:50 pm I should add, there are approximately no job openings that call for 15 years management experience doing what I do. 5 years? Yes. 7? Sometimes. Often just 2-3. So by your criteria, I'd be overqualified for any job I'd apply for.
I literally today on Fishbowl saw hiring managers at some top companies mentioning this - specifically that the "shortages" are at the 2-5 YOE positions, and the higher up you go (15+ being the worst)...the less demand there is. He also mentioned that at that point, ageism is indeed a factor. Suggested to apply for jobs you know you are overqualified for, since those are more plentiful. (dude, I HIGHLY recomend you join that, it's free, and there is some candid talk about exactly the challenges you are having)

Starting to feel like a schill for Fishbowl, but I have found more nuggets of USEABLE wisdom and experience on those boards than I have in every other source I've seen (including my year's paid access to RightEverywhere, which includes weekly personal coach calls, access to every hiring resource you can imagine, etc).

Re: Overqualified, I found this exchange interesting:

Deloitte 1
Or maybe they also thought you are too overqualified and no way the position’s salary bandwidth going to match your worth 🤔🤔

Accenture 3
No. We don’t do that. We will make an offer and hope the applicant doesn’t realize they are overqualified.

Also, Jeff, are you following up with the interviewers and asking them to be candid with you about why they didn't go with you?

From a Google employee:

Google 3
There is no rule stating that, but rule of thumb is to apply to positions you are overqualified for to increase your chances

Also, have you tried doing an ATS scan on your resume?
https://www.jobscan.co

One small example of what it can provide (and it's free) If you plug in your resume and paste in the job description you are looking for, it will scan both for good matches, and highlight things you should change. Beyond that, which I found even more cool, if you list the company name and a link to the job posting, they will tell you EXACTLY what kind of recruiting system they use, which will give you a definite leg up when adjusting your resume:

Example from my recent application:

Adding this job's company name and web address can help us provide you ATS-specific tips.
Company: IDC (Edit) | URL: https://idccareers-i... (Edit)

ATS Matched: icims - IDC uses icims

iCIMS does not parse URLs from the resume into the applicant profile. If you have a URL (such as your LinkedIn profile or portfolio) in your resume, show the entire URL and hyperlink it.
iCIMS indicates exact employment start and end dates in MM/DD/YYYY format. If an exact date is not specified, iCIMS will assign a date automatically. For example, 'July 2017' becomes '07/01/2017', and '2016' becomes '01/01/2016'.
iCIMS sometimes incorporates a series of pre-screening or knockout questions to filter out candidates. Your responses to these questions can be scored and contribute to an overall screening score or knock you out of the running completely. Try to keep the intent behind the questions in mind while still answering truthfully.
iCIMS uses the frequency of a skill to determine search result rankings.
Make sure important hard skills appear more frequently in your resume.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:50 pmI should add, there are approximately no job openings that call for 15 years management experience doing what I do. 5 years? Yes. 7? Sometimes. Often just 2-3. So by your criteria, I'd be overqualified for any job I'd apply for.
Apply anyway. Try applying outside the industry that you have worked in if you have transferable skills. Not ALL companies/hiring managers are ageist, so it just probably takes a crap ton of resume sending to find one.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

raydude wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:00 pm What's cool about our software development group at APL is that people can still get their foot in the door if they have a sufficient background in science. We're hired people with masters and PhD degrees who didn't know any coding, but who've written papers and demonstrated that they can solve scientific problems. That mindset is what we need, any programming stuff they can learn on the job.
I know coding. I taught myself BASIC back when I was 11. I can do a little Python (enough to pass a couple Coursera courses), JavaScript ES6, Node.js, a little React.js, SQL, and a bunch of other stuff. I have the mindset. The problem is more like nobody believes me. I'm technically overqualified for EVERYTHING I apply for... even junior support 1st tier positions. I've been rejected even for THOSE positions.

Oh, and I had a subscription for Jobscan. Didn't really help.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time to look for an informational interview.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:38 pm Apply anyway. Try applying outside the industry that you have worked in if you have transferable skills. Not ALL companies/hiring managers are ageist, so it just probably takes a crap ton of resume sending to find one.
I have been. My benchmark on taking a flyer is 75% on what they are asking for. I even got bupkis from a non-profit whose mission is to train older people in new skills to fill current jobs -- dude said my technical skills were superb and I was extremely qualified...then nothing. It's really, really depressing.

It's been a few weeks since my last interview. It went extremely well, just with HR but I appeared to have 100% of what they were looking for. Then nothing. I can only imagine someone like RMC probably tossed my resume into the trash bin.

As I suggested before, going backwards means it has to be on my terms, which is pretty much 100% WFH, preferably on my schedule. The less pay there is, the more flexibility there needs to be. So far, nothing has gone too deep with anything in those parameters...I get lots of inquiries from recruiters for jobs really not within commuting distance, and they often go nowhere when I express the 100% WFH requirement.

I'll check out that site you mentioned, thanks!
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Finally had the interview with the startup I applied to last week. Was not a good sign that they completely missed our scheduled call last week, rescheduled, then had to reschedule again to today! At that point, I was ready to just use this to practice my interviewing skills since their professionalism was pretty questionable (OR they are just THAT busy).

But surprisingly, I was quite impressed by what she told me. I love the startup atmosphere, and considering that, was also exepcting super low pay, but no! Pretty much in line with the big boys I have been looking at (but dreading...I really do not like working for a company with 20K employees, for many reasons). Anyway, we'll see where it goes. First interview I have had in years, but I wasn't nervous due to the fact that I didn't think I really wanted it. Funny how that works.

The only downside: they expect about 15-20% travel (US) for the outside sales job position, which has an uncapped commission, and a much higher base that the other position I was considering. The other position is more like an entry level job, inside only, office work 100% of the time...basically customer service, assisting sales teams, handling customers, etc. Pretty junior, but no travel. I even told the HR lady that what I was REALLY looking for was a hybrid of those two jobs.

Company started in 2016, and already has $40 million in sales. Not bad. Apparently profit margins are absurd as well (in a good way).

I REALLY don't want to go back to traveling again, but I REALLY want to make decent money again. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The application process is getting weird. I understand a company needs to weed out candidates, but putting application behind a job matcher (i.e. another job board) is just dumb.

Saw a job that sounds good, I can massage my resume to fit. Did that. Hit "apply at company site"... Except it's not a company site, but another f--king job board where I need to create a profile. WTF?

Fine, I'll create one. Did so. Upload resume. Fill out what jobs I want. Okay, saw the job I wanted. Hit "message recruiter". Great. Now I have to create a cover letter, or the equivalent of one. Fine.

Was composing that when I got a pop-up "Your profile was rejected, as we cannot verify you. You must be previously employed in the US, UK, or EU in tech."

I'm like, WTF? How the heck did you determine that?

At least it didn't block me from sending the message, but maybe it did? I have no f***ing idea.

But I found the company website and found the direct application portal. No direct access to recruiter, but worth a try, at least. :-/
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hey, today I got an acknowledgement that Fermilab received my application!
Spoiler:
I applied for the job in October. The applicant deadline was 11/15.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:59 pm Hey, today I got an acknowledgement that Fermilab received my application!
Spoiler:
Excellent! Now just don't go destroying the space-time continuum.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:59 pm Hey, today I got an acknowledgement that Fermilab received my application!
Spoiler:
At that rate, by the time you complete the interviews, get the job and can actually start, you'll probably be ready to retire for real.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've been up for jobs at Fermilab before, notably as a team lead of a team of contractors. Was recruited by a dude who since moved on to Groupon, and between us we put together a good team (including some who I worked with before). His bids always came in second though...and when it comes to anything involving the government, that seems to be the overriding key.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I went through some rough times last year. I was unemployed for like, three months and trying to muddle through. I got really, really low. Now I'm a branch manager at a bank and making more than ever. I'm glad I didn't give up.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rejections are getting ridiculous. I've been driving for 30+ years, including certified AVO for 2 companies, door-to-door delivery driver for 18 months, and driving tour guide before that. No accident within last 3 years. I can't even get an interview as a driving instructor. My resume was rejected within 24 hours. Submitted it last night, got rejection this morning. Either they're not really looking for anyone (why list the job opening then?) or they don't believe I'm serious about seeking a job there. :grund:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:18 am Rejections are getting ridiculous. I've been driving for 30+ years, including certified AVO for 2 companies, door-to-door delivery driver for 18 months, and driving tour guide before that. No accident within last 3 years. I can't even get an interview as a driving instructor. My resume was rejected within 24 hours. Submitted it last night, got rejection this morning. Either they're not really looking for anyone (why list the job opening then?) or they don't believe I'm serious about seeking a job there. :grund:
Or you are not the relative or friend of a current Government worker.
He/Him/His/Porcupine

Post by Default »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:35 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:18 am Rejections are getting ridiculous. I've been driving for 30+ years, including certified AVO for 2 companies, door-to-door delivery driver for 18 months, and driving tour guide before that. No accident within last 3 years. I can't even get an interview as a driving instructor. My resume was rejected within 24 hours. Submitted it last night, got rejection this morning. Either they're not really looking for anyone (why list the job opening then?) or they don't believe I'm serious about seeking a job there. :grund:
Or you are not the relative or friend of a current Government worker.
Sometimes, they have to post jobs externally, even though it is going to be filled internally. Don't read too much into that.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's not even a serious driving instructor, but just "pass the DMV test" kind of driving instructor.

Fine, I hope to pick up more tour guide jobs in the next few weeks.

Got a rejection notice today for a job I applied... Back on Jan 30th. Almost 2 MONTHS to be rejected. Phooey.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Default wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:07 pm Sometimes, they have to post jobs externally, even though it is going to be filled internally. Don't read too much into that.
It's a driving school. So it's an entry-level job. You can't fill that internally.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Third interview with the startup happened today, and went much better than expected. I was not even sure I wanted to seriously consider them initially, but the more I talk to them, the more it sounds similar to the startup I worked for from 1999 to 2014.

Company pays 100% healthcare (and apparently it's a higher end BCBS plan), 401K with match, lots of PTO, etc. I was surprised that they offered all this considering they are all of 6 years old. Apprently company is very healthy, financially, with very high profit margins.

I was applying to some much larger F500 companies but honestly my heart was not in those because I know exactly the kind of bureacracy and lack of autonomy that big companies like that entail. I also don't really buy the "prestige" argument (which was used against me when I complained about my salary when I worked for a large multinational) That only goes so far, and only really counts (imo) if you want to impress your friends, or move to another big company (which I don't).

It's taken me WAY too long to figure things out on the job front, but I feel very confident my fit is much better at a small company. I love autonomy. I love flexibility. I don't HATE working in teams (on one sale), but it's close to hate. I made sales on my own for so long, from A-Z in the process, without any help at all, that it felt really weird to hand stuff off to people at different points in the process, or even having 3-4 people from my company in meetings (where it was just me, before). I also love the transparency and lack of "business speak" bullshit in general . First interview with HR manager, she told me the range of the two positions I was considering, without hesitating. You could argue that was a huge tactical error on their part, or you could say it was a no bs way to get the salary expectations our there without playing the whole "who goes first?!" game that you typically have.

Next interviews are with HR to discuss comp, and then the owner of the company. Hopefully by this time next week, I will be employed FT again for the first time since...2017!

Trying not to get TOO excited since 1. have not discussed salary in detail, and 2. I don't have a formal offer at this point. It definitely feels like they are courting me, though, and not the other way around, so that's giving me confidence.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Get that offer, then get the congrats.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra

Post by Default »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:48 pm
Default wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:07 pm Sometimes, they have to post jobs externally, even though it is going to be filled internally. Don't read too much into that.
It's a driving school. So it's an entry-level job. You can't fill that internally.
Sorry Kasey, I thought you were applying for a job with the feds. Don't know where I got that idea.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:03 pm Get that offer, then get the congrats.
Absolutely. My wife asked me how the interview went and I told her it went better than I expected and she said "let's celebrate and go out to eat!", and I was like...whoaaa, there Nellie. No offer yet! Bit premature. There's not a small chance that the salary offered will be significantly lower than I am willing to go (even though the HR manager tipped her hand on salary range a bit early, and it seemed mostly in line).

Yet another interview tomorrow, and I am getting the sense they aren't sure where to put me. I could do several roles they are trying to fill, but at this point I am also tempted to just tell them what I am most interested in doing, and can they create that for me. It was hinted at that they could do that in my earlier interview, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow first.

I find it funny (and refreshing) the absolute 180º difference in the application and interviewing process (and pretty much everything else, due to agility) that happens at a small company vs a behemoth.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So yesterday, Indeed.com told me my former job was looking for a Sr. Infrastructure Project Manager. They had one, and someone I highly respected. I sent a message to a close colleague there, and she believes he is still there, so this might be a new position. While I always got along with this guy, and in the past kept his junior PMs from tripping over their dicks since I knew their job better than they did, I never made a big deal of it. Not being a PMP, going for a senior role might be a stretch (and the aforementioned colleague isn't necessarily in that loop anymore).

I think I'll send a message to that PM and see if anything comes of it. I don't consider myself a senior PM, but familiarity with the company might be bonus points.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:03 pm Get that offer, then get the congrats.
^^^^^

:pray:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not a formal offer yet, but getting closer. STILL have not heard a firm comp offer though, and this will be 4th interview (which I will admit is raising some red flags with me). Lots of quirks, but that is to be expected and kind of an M.O. of startups (this is a bit older than 'startup' but not by much). Further quirks: HR person I have been mostly speaking with has been there for FOUR weeks. My potentiall future boss? Six weeks. :shock:
"Hi Carpet_Pisser (yes, she actually wrote it like that),

Happy Friday! I met with Bxxxx and Kxxxx today and you are one of our finalists in the interview process. After speaking with them, we think you'd be a great fit as a Customer Success Supervisor. I have attached the job description here. What are your thoughts?
We have another interview next week for the role (*I doubt this*), but I wanted you to know we think you should be considered for the role if you are interested."
I sure would like to have a few other offers to pick from at this point, but I have really been zoned in on this one. Maybe I will zip out 5 or 6 applications this weekend and see if any land.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Does anyone have any suggestions for researching a startup? I can't find very much on these guys, and they aren't even listed in Crunchbase.

I don't think they are currently taking any VC money considering they have been around since 2016, but could be wrong there.

Also, if you have any questions you think I should ask (again, since there is very little info out there about them other than their website), I'd love to hear them.

Q's already asked:
How unique is your product? Competitors/competitive landscape?
How big is the market?
They indicated that margins were extremely good, but I wonder if asking what they are specifically would be...presumptuous?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Applied for a few more, got one call back, but haven't heard anything since. Sometimes I wonder if these recruiters are just jerking my chain, or they don't look at jobs they're recruiting for. Just because I live in San Francisco doesn't mean I'd want a job in San Jose or Mountain View. It's a whole f***ing hour away by car, and I don't even have a car anymore (nor can I afford one in this economy).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:43 pm Applied for a few more, got one call back, but haven't heard anything since. Sometimes I wonder if these recruiters are just jerking my chain, or they don't look at jobs they're recruiting for. Just because I live in San Francisco doesn't mean I'd want a job in San Jose or Mountain View. It's a whole f***ing hour away by car, and I don't even have a car anymore (nor can I afford one in this economy).
By "this economy" are you meaning "San Francisco's economy", one of the most expensive places in the country?

Serious question, because you are probably experiencing things there (economically) that aren't as prevalent in other places.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:24 pm Does anyone have any suggestions for researching a startup? I can't find very much on these guys, and they aren't even listed in Crunchbase.

I don't think they are currently taking any VC money considering they have been around since 2016, but could be wrong there.

Also, if you have any questions you think I should ask (again, since there is very little info out there about them other than their website), I'd love to hear them.

Q's already asked:
How big is the market?
They indicated that margins were extremely good, but I wonder if asking what they are specifically would be...presumptuous?
One question I'd ask is whether they are going after margin or revenue. If it's revenue you can assume they are still in VC funding rounds. We've seen some cybersecurity outfits in funding rounds for long periods of time but 6 years would be pretty long for any business. You'd think their business model would be proven out by now. Still, if it's margin they're probably pre-IPO. The latter is potentially less lucrative individually and more painful to manage IMO.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:02 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:24 pm Does anyone have any suggestions for researching a startup? I can't find very much on these guys, and they aren't even listed in Crunchbase.

Q's already asked:
How big is the market?
One question I'd ask is whether they are going after margin or revenue. If it's revenue you can assume they are still in VC funding rounds. We've seen some cybersecurity outfits in funding rounds for long periods of time but 6 years would be pretty long for any business. You'd think their business model would be proven out by now. Still, if it's margin they're probably pre-IPO. The latter is potentially less lucrative individually and more painful to manage IMO.
Margin is the only thing that has come up in our...many...convos so far. And I firmly believe they either never needed funding, or at the very least, are way past that stage.

They DID spring a surprise on me though, naughty, quirky little startup that they are. It seemed they created a position for me, wrote it up in the format of the other two positions that are open, but didn't actually post it. About three days after that, the HR person says to me that the owner has decided to move ALL operations to the US, focus on growing the business FROM here, and transitioning all the people he currently has employed, to a different 'project'. :think:

So if that is the case, the number of employees will go from 50-60, to like 9 or 10 I think. Oh and also, that role we created for you (but never really said we created for you), that's off the table, and we are only looking to fill the original two roles you were interested in. :roll:

This is both the boon and curse of privately, solely owned startups...everything, EVERYthing is at the whim of the owner, and 180's are not uncommon.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 pm This is both the boon and curse of privately, solely owned startups...everything, EVERYthing is at the whim of the owner, and 180's are not uncommon.
Yikes. The startups I've worked for and work for now all are traditional board driven private enterprises. A very different and much more stable beast. That nimbleness might be great but probably only for him.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:22 pmThat nimbleness might be great but probably only for him.
Yeah, that's a good point. The first startup I worked for was owned by two brothers (and they had COMPLETELY opposite personalities, one Type A, the other...not) so they were very much a balance for the excesses of the other. Never worked under a single dictator before, whose almighty power is absolute and never challenged. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:57 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:43 pm Applied for a few more, got one call back, but haven't heard anything since. Sometimes I wonder if these recruiters are just jerking my chain, or they don't look at jobs they're recruiting for. Just because I live in San Francisco doesn't mean I'd want a job in San Jose or Mountain View. It's a whole f***ing hour away by car, and I don't even have a car anymore (nor can I afford one in this economy).
By "this economy" are you meaning "San Francisco's economy", one of the most expensive places in the country?

Serious question, because you are probably experiencing things there (economically) that aren't as prevalent in other places.
I would agree, as I *could* move back to Texas and spend time with my mom. The problem is I'd be preached to all day.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No need to be redundant.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Today I "celebrate" 20 years with my current employer. A rather uncommon thing in tech. Before coming here I'd never worked anywhere else full time for more than two years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FINALLY got the offer today, Jeebus. You would think I was applying to work as a legal counsel or Sr. VP for Google or Amazon AWS or something. Shiite.

They came in at the top of the range they had mentioned initially, but I countered for $10K more (base).

They also offered 3 weeks PTO (which graduates to 4 after three years). I countered with 4 as a compromise since I got 5 at my old job.

We'll see what happens.

My prediction: 75% chance they will come back with a $5K increase in base, and I give it...50% chance that they will give me the extra week of PTO (IF they give me the salary bump...if not, I give the extra PTO 80% chance). Also a possibility that they walk completely, but if that happens, I will feel as if I dodged a bullet. No reasonable HR person/company just walks when someone, ESPECIALLY someone being hired for a sales position, walks at the first counter. Especially if the counter is not crazy. Let's hope they have that much maturity.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am six months out from getting to 4 weeks vacation. Of course, I get the off-brand bank holidays as well.