How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: How is your career going?

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm Winner is expected to be announced in 2 weeks.
and...after 6 interviews, in the words of Shaggy, "Wasn't me."

Yesterday started the process of refinancing the house, this time under my wife's name since I'm contributing nothing. Early indications are we could knock $500 of the monthly payment.

While I've been applying for a lot more jobs in the past 2 weeks, I'm not getting any calls for interviews. Today I received another random email from a recruiter trying to fill a role that pays 25% more than I made at my last job AND is WFH. This would be ideal, but details are scarce at this point.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How's your networking game these days?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:26 pm How's your networking game these days?
Unproductive. I really do appreciate the efforts of everyone who tries to help (including some folks here), but IT is very much a specialty-oriented thing...and my specialty is infrastructure and support. The main problems is (1) age (I'm old AF), (2) salary (a lot of companies seem willing to settle for cheaper people than me, especially when they are younger) and (3) opportunities -- what I do is most useful in an office or plant setting, less so for a WFH workforce.

To put things into perspective, I'm a grunt who worked his way up to Master Sergeant, went to OCS and made 2nd Lieutenant. But companies are more likely to hire a colonel or general at my age...but my CV doesn't warrant that sort of promotion (it was disappointing that 15 years ago when working for a hospital, events conspired to keep me from being promoted to director).

This last opportunity seemed a perfect fit...I have a lot of experience with business relationship management in a manufacturing environment, this was a new-to-them level of management...they were aspiring to create the IT environment that I last worked in for 10 years. While I can never say for sure there wasn't another candidate who was even more awesome, I did check all of the boxes from what they needed....and I asked every one of the people I interviewed with (which included the CIO) what their expectations were for this role...all of the answers were different, but I could also claim a lot of experience on every point.

I have to say it's really, really hard to suck it up and switch careers to something that pays a lot less when I'm encountering jobs I know I can do at a rate commensurate with my experience.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Really sorry that fell through, Jeff, and that you're hitting such a sturdy brick wall. Keep soldiering on, lieutenant.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

rittchard wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 pm
There's also a book the FIRE people recommend. It's a little repetitive and annoying in some parts, but a lot of the core concepts are good to think about in terms of spending down before it's too late, and making sure you remember to focus on life experiences instead of only money.

https://www.diewithzerobook.com/welcome
Ages ago I read a book, Die Broke by Stephan Pollan, that sounds similar. Many of the financial details would be out of date but the general idea is interesting. At times I need reminding of it as my natural tendency is to be (overly) prepared. On the other hand I do feel that the best plan is to walk a middle path; don't try to die broke but also don't try to leave an estate. Overshooting either way is a waste but the downsides of going broke early are worse.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a phone screen this afternoon which is the first phone screen I have after being let go from the previous job. This one actually offered me a phone screen just after I accepted that previous job, as I was reaching out to multiple places at that time. I reached back out and they apparently were aware of me. And they are still hiring, WFH too. We shall see.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am informed they are working with a headhunter right now and not having great luck. Go figure. At least the stench of shit is rolling off me now. I'm sleeping mostly through the night. And I'm telling people "no" much more freely and I'm probably horrible for morale because I speak much more freely about how people's expectations are soul crushing while their inability to respond is puppies. I'm now that guy others likely are just wishing would get fired already. I'm not proud, but I do sleep better at night.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I'm glad to hear you are sleeping better.

The last two months of my employment, they had a difficult time finding someone to replace me. There were many zoom interview meetings which frustrated my manager because nobody seemed to fit. I think since I wore many hats, I had built a lot of trust with management and I didn't need constant guidance and kept myself busy while improving productivity in our team.

I always tried to please everyone but as it got close to the end, I needed to make sure I wasn't pushed over the edge worrying about something that I will no longer be a part of. It certainly was stressful but it worked out fine. Strangely enough, I still have dreams (or nightmares) about work and project deadlines. I guess that replaced the old naked and not studying for tests in high school dreams.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know when my employment will end. No interviews have happened yet but like you I wear so many hats they are having a hard time defining what they need. An IT generalist who can do basic network admin, document process, help desk, security admin, light databasing aka steeped very deep in Electronic Data Interchange, Active Directory admin, telecommunications, admin work, IT steering, IT education, systems rollout and maintenance, customer contact, vendor contact, etc... etc... etc...

When it gets to the end, there will hopefully a good cross over where I won't be sweating shit. I'll be "This is your ball of wax. Define it in a way you can handle it. Obviously I'm overwhelmed and things are falling apart. While I'm here to help, now is the time for you to put it all back together in a way you can work. Cause when I'm gone, when I'm gone, you're the one child born to carry on. Carry on!"
stessier

Post by stessier »

You should remember you don't have to stay until you train your replacement. It's nice if it works out that way...but you don't have to.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You know it. That's why I sleep better at night and why my bad attitude has leaked to the surface. The availability, integrity, and confidentiality of the data structure no longer strangles me 24/7. I'm already there three weeks after I said "I'm done." So every day is courtesy and if I get too pissed on or too pissed off, I'm out. I feel bad for my boss. She is being too accommodating to me and it's not her I want to show my disrespect to. She doesn't deserve to wear the brunt of the last 13 years of the company putting all their eggs in one basketcase.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:07 pm You should remember you don't have to stay until you train your replacement. It's nice if it works out that way...but you don't have to.
Maybe you can work out an on-call or consulting arrangement. Maybe you can even parlay consulting into a part-time business.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Your company made you their Chosen One, so in a pickle they'll be stuck.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:07 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:07 pm You should remember you don't have to stay until you train your replacement. It's nice if it works out that way...but you don't have to.
Maybe you can work out an on-call or consulting arrangement. Maybe you can even parlay consulting into a part-time business.
I did this with a company small company that had to let me go because business was bad and they couldn't afford to keep me around. And I did so for some time, at about triple the rate they were paying me as an employee. The arrangement ended when the company was sold to a German outfit.

Another company which I left on less that warm terms with tried having a girl who I was friends with try calling me and plying me for information they neglected to consider. I applauded the effort, told the girl please don't ask me until they are will to pay me as a consultant. I never heard from her again.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had a programming interview today. I ended up writing pseudocode, as they hit me with a complex datatype that I can explain the algorithm I'll approach it with, but I needed to look up the JS syntax and they said "no, don't do that". Hmmm... Okay, then I guess I'll have to write gibberish. Oh well, I give myself no more than 50/50 chance there of advancing to next step. Only 35 minutes to write a complex data type best-fit subroutine. Okay... WITHOUT looking up syntax. Yikes to me. :grund:
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:26 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:07 pm
I did this with a company small company that had to let me go because business was bad and they couldn't afford to keep me around. And I did so for some time, at about triple the rate they were paying me as an employee. The arrangement ended when the company was sold to a German outfit.

Another company which I left on less that warm terms with tried having a girl who I was friends with try calling me and plying me for information they neglected to consider. I applauded the effort, told the girl please don't ask me until they are will to pay me as a consultant. I never heard from her again.
LordMortis is making a transition. This could be a way to keep his hand in and make a few bucks on his own terms. If he likes being his own boss and working at his own pace, maybe he could shop his skills around and keep semi-working for a few years. Or not. I'm just suggesting that the choice between working/not working and full salary/no income doesn't have to be binary.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The thing is, I'm whoring myself out for such gigs, even with agencies who've I have an excellent record doing well for them in the past. Crickets.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 pm LordMortis is making a transition. This could be a way to keep his hand in and make a few bucks on his own terms. If he likes being his own boss and working at his own pace, maybe he could shop his skills around and keep semi-working for a few years. Or not. I'm just suggesting that the choice between working/not working and full salary/no income doesn't have to be binary.
Stick a fork in me. I don't like being my own boss. I've been given enough rope to hang myself for over twenty years. I want a long long break and after that break, if I go back to work in any form, I want clear expectations where someone just tells me exactly what what they want done. One thing at a time. I do it. I'm done. I leave work at work. No responsibility. And NOOOO juggling different responsibilities until one falls. I'd want to go back to total drone hood. I want to be an interchangeable piece of a larger project.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:lol: Self employment is definitely not in your future.

But what about this: give your boss a hard quit date and make yourself available for support on an hourly basis thereafter. You seem to be having trouble making the jump from working to not-working. Could be a way to taper off on your own terms.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:11 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 pm LordMortis is making a transition. This could be a way to keep his hand in and make a few bucks on his own terms. If he likes being his own boss and working at his own pace, maybe he could shop his skills around and keep semi-working for a few years. Or not. I'm just suggesting that the choice between working/not working and full salary/no income doesn't have to be binary.
Stick a fork in me. I don't like being my own boss. I've been given enough rope to hang myself for over twenty years. I want a long long break and after that break, if I go back to work in any form, I want clear expectations where someone just tells me exactly what what they want done. One thing at a time. I do it. I'm done. I leave work at work. No responsibility. And NOOOO juggling different responsibilities until one falls. I'd want to go back to total drone hood. I want to be an interchangeable piece of a larger project.

You would have liked my dad. He was given the proverbial "offer he couldn't refuse", retiring as a Rockwell employee at age 62 when they sold off Goss, the division that made printing presses (which he designed). He could have easily made a mint if he chose to go the consulting route, engaging with all of his former customers (including my most recent employer). He had no motivation for it, though, and began the slow, long slide into oblivion at a young age. The reaper nearly got him at 67, he finally succumbed at 77.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 pm :lol: Self employment is definitely not in your future.

But what about this: give your boss a hard quit date and make yourself available for support on an hourly basis thereafter. You seem to be having trouble making the jump from working to not-working. Could be a way to taper off on your own terms.
My trouble is I don't want to leave my boss and her people holding a bag. Also, I really shouldn't quit. I've only got a projected 3/4's of what I believe I should have to carry me to 59.5, but I'm flat out exhausted, so something has to give.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:27 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:09 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 am I am a senior (experience, not age you jerks) individual contributer (in other words, not management) on a tech team. A couple weeks back I told my boss I wanted to move to a different department because I didn't like how the work was being handled and the way the team was being run. We had some extended discussions about other opportunities for me in the department and what was wrong with the team. Next month I take over running the team. That did not turn out how I had expected. I had been thinking about making the jump to leadership for a while, but didn't expect it to fall right into my lap. This could be... interesting.
That was a year and a half ago... it didn't actually pan out as someone backed out of the swap. Now there are two open people leader slots and my Director has asked me to step up. The slot I am likely to take involves leading two of the best, most talented people I know. It's both exciting and intimidating for a serious introvert with social anxiety.

In another 18 months I look forward to telling you how it never happened, again.
It is actually going to happen this time. I'm splitting time between teams now and just learned the most experience dev on the team (who is also my level so wouldn't have reported to me) is rotating out so that's going to be extra fun! New team and I immediately have an opening to fill. I guess it's a good thing I am one of the top interviewers!
Apparently I like quoting myself. So back in Feb I started leading a team, it was 3 employees and 1 contractor. 7 months later, it is 4 employees and 2 contractors (fully staffed woohoo), we've delivered our first big project and talking with my boss (who got bumped to director over the summer) he is looking at opportunities to give me a second team. A year ago I was wondering when they were going to finally decide to show me the door for my lack of motivation, now I am excited about more responsibility and the possibility of a promotion in my future.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats!
The Meal

Re: Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:25 pm
The Meal wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:29 am Would you be interested joining us at [Job Title +1] instead? We'd love to have you
I've been at the new place for a month. And as cool as the place looked from the outside, the view's even nicer from the inside... the founding principle for how employees are treated here is "respect."...

There's plenty to love, not the least of which is the manager I report to...
The six-month update is still pretty sweet. The company is still an independent operator with only the slightest hint of oversight from the big conglomerate. Somewhere down the line (beyond the end of 2021) the culture will shift, but that's still not yet upon us. As a company we design, manufacture, and if the customer wants, operate spacecraft for everything from outer planets to low-earth orbit. About 1/3rd of our customers are commercial, about 1/3rd military, and about 1/3rd NASA/academic. We are fully integrated in that we design and manufacture roughly 20 various different components (each of which comes in multiple flavors) which go into satellites for star tracking, orientating the S/C relative to the sun, GPS, antennae, batteries, solar arrays, etc. In addition to making our own, we also sell at the component level to other integrators. We have two sites, and I typically work at the lab that tests microsats (our other site tests cubesats). It's fair to think of what I do as testing something the size of a fridge, while the other site tests units which are on the order of oversized briefcases.

Both sites do lots of component level testing, but the exciting stuff is when a spacecraft comes into the lab. I operate a 2-ton crane on a gantry system in a room about the size of a racquetball court (the crane is overdesigned for the size of the things I test -- I'm not running mechanical simulations of rocket launches for 4,000 lb space vehicles!), so I joke that I'm First in Powered Flight for nearly all of our hardware (the crane being a powered device after all). My lab's the coolest stop on the frequent tours of the facility. I posted a six-minute CBS Morning News segment that briefly featured the lab 30 feet from where I sit in the "SPACE - random thread about space stuff" thread.

It's exhausting, physically and mentally. My test device is about the size of a VW bug, and I'm constantly crawling around on ladders and risers to access the device I'm working on. As one could imagine, ensuring things are appropriately mounted for test is 90% of the job (ensuring things are secure so they don't get overtested), which means lots of times with wrenches, torque-wrenches, various mounting fasteners, knowing the intricacies of each component type that gets tested, schlepping big fixtures (the biggest of which get the crane treatment), rotating my vibration shaker into the correct orientation, etc. Physically, it's a lot. Mentally, however, it's an entirely new world. There's no zoning out just going through the paces at any moment of any given day. If we're not feeling sharp on any given afternoon, we're encourage to just go home before we make the type of preventable mistake that costs the company hundreds of thousands of dollars. (That doesn't play well with the schedule pressures we face -- initially I thought I was working yesterday and today as we have a high-intensity program coming through that doesn't want to miss it's ride into space on an upcoming launch, so the test team is the last line of defense to try to bring things back on the target schedule). I'm good working under these circumstances, but I play a lot less poker with friends in the evenings and find myself nodding along when Stessier posts his sleep schedule. Alcohol consumption is relegated to those days which are not the day before going into work, and consumption of other mind altering substances is a thing of the past.

Then I got my own personal big curveball in early summer. The lab manager I spoke so highly of in my previous update managed to get himself burned out in the process of setting up the two labs and ended up moving back to his previous employer (not-so-coincidentally where his wife and daughter also work). That left us a significant void. Had I more experience testing these types of devices, I'd likely have been tagged for moving into his role, but thankfully we went forward with an external hire. It's been a bit of a mess, honestly. The new manager is a philosophic 180° from the previous and rather than testing in the most conservative fashion possible, this new guy is an absolute gunslinger in terms of how he runs things. It's a major whip-saw to those of us who've worked under both regimes. Sadly, my one other coworker comes from a background in mechanical assembly, so is unable to fairly judge the risk and appropriateness of the new manager, but fortunately for me, I *have* that background, and so finding myself in the middle of this churn at work has been pretty beneficial to me. Folks asking specific questions about our capabilities have been coming to me, and I've done very well in navigating upper management through these times of mystery and pseudo-crises. The new manager came in like Miley Cyrus on that wreckingball trying to change tools and processes without understanding the underlying fabric of how the job is done (honestly, he's trying to make things match his comfort level from his previous job despite how different the two roles are — his previous job was rather generalist and only dealt with external customers, while this job is particularly specialist and 75%+ of the time only works with internal stakeholders). I'm fully understanding of how this churn is going to play out, but my other coworker has really felt cut-out-of-the-loop in terms of these gigantic changes. I'm also a "glue guy" in terms of bridging the communications gaps between my coworker and our new boss (with personality issues hampering communication in both directions), so I'm absolutely coming up roses from management's perspective.

It's been good, but it's been stressful. I just checked my sleep statistics from my personal wearable and it... well let me just show you:
Enlarge Image
What happened 14 weeks ago? That's when my previous manager left.

I've had the opportunity to ply my wares at the local competition, but all along I said that I really enjoy working in this new industry I don't want to build a reputation as a job hopper. I wanted to give my currently employer a fair shake and wouldn't really entertain leaving within the first 12 months. Then the new manager came in and really made things topsy turvey, so I considered alternatives only to determine that living in the churn is actually a pretty comfortable spot for me right now. With the understanding that lots of things can (and likely will) change in the months ahead, I'm currently feeling pretty happy with things here on this precarious perch. Hopefully I can glue some cohesiveness into the team and get the three of us working together back like the well-oiled machine we were at the beginning of the summer. All the while I *am* building up that level of experience testing these units and have some very nice notches in my belt which are being recognized by current management. It hasn't been the smooth path I envisioned when I was originally presented with this new career opportunity, but a lot of the fun's been in the crookedness.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Meal..take care, don't burn out!

I got an email from a recruiter today. She wanted to discuss a job I had applied for. It turns out, it was the job I had 6 interviews for and got a fuck-you-very-much for my effort. When I told this to the recruiter (who had the job description all wrong), she couldn't get off the call fast enough.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

International teachers are, almost by definition, working away from home. For the most part it has been a year and a half of not easily traveling back home and not having the side benefit of easy vacation travel. Toss in a little bit of a power struggle between bean counters and the teaching people and lots of drama appears. I've positioned myself to ride it out without issue but it is making for some interesting dynamics.

The change of scene when I took this job was what I needed but now all three surviving parents (my two and my wife's one) have serious health issues that have come up in the past year. I have a month more or less to figure out if I stay here or retire.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

at this point, any WFH gig that I could do on my own schedule would probably do. If I don't find another career job in 2 months, the plan is to liquidate some 401K (I'll be 59.5 in December, the magic number to avoid penalty) and pay off all debt. We are presently refinancing the house under my wife's name, I think this will save us about $500 per month. Real estate is going nuts here, we have an appraisal waiver at $75K more than we paid for the house 4 years ago, houses similar to ours are being valued at more than $100K over what we paid. If all this comes to pass, I will be Mr. Mom, serving the needs of the kids. Apparently the condo in Manila won't be habitable until 2023, but it's already appreciated 50%. Had a discussion with my wife about that today...we'd only be able to visit for maybe 2 months during summer break for the kids. She wants to spend time with her chicken farm in the province, but she also wants to do some traveling there. When I asked how much time we'd actually spend at the condo in Manila...crickets. I foresee her selling it once the occupation date is near. While she's right that i'd rather hang out in Manila when there rather than the province, the kids would be ambivalent at best, and if her plans are to travel elsewhere in the country, then I don't see the point. She thinks the building management might administer the unit as an Air BnB, but she's not certain.

I really need a job so I don't have to stress about this for the next decade when I can retire with full benefits. She's going to push for me to do so at half-benefits at 62 if it comes to that.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After having read so many posts from the Meal I think he ought to take up book writing. Go with Lovecraft type things and he could leave Steven King in the dust!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The company is having problems defining my replacement to the headhunter services. So now I'm getting dragged in to the next meeting next week. That's going to be weird. I don't want to define or interview who is going to replace me. At this point my career, I'm poison for the process. I come with highly tainted and egotistical views. The next person should be fresh, with a whole lifetime in front of them to burn out from, eager to learn and move forward in spite of the roadblocks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just tell them to hire a people person, damn it!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One of our plan reps contacted me to let me know we'd be getting a new rep. Turns out, the new rep is my previous boss at this job. The position she is in now is one I was recruited for while she was still here and I turned it down and told her so at the time. This first call is going to be awkward.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:02 pm The company is having problems defining my replacement to the headhunter services. So now I'm getting dragged in to the next meeting next week. That's going to be weird. I don't want to define or interview who is going to replace me. At this point my career, I'm poison for the process. I come with highly tainted and egotistical views. The next person should be fresh, with a whole lifetime in front of them to burn out from, eager to learn and move forward in spite of the roadblocks.
IT jack of all trades isn't really that unusual. I guess the key would be the list and level of skills required to succeed at the job. Literally no one but pre-breaking point Mortis is going to be perfect for the job, they just need someone that is willing and capable to figure it all out. Probably more than one someone if they are being realistic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:38 pm Probably more than one someone if they are being realistic.
That's what I try to stress. Not that a good young worker shouldn't be able to pick up the mantle but... 1) they will burn out 2) the company is dumb to put all eggs in one basked 3) as redrun puts it "if you are on call all of the time then you are on call none of the time."

So far that is falling on deaf ears. I'd speak louder but again my egotistic view could easily poison the process/person/position.

I think they think when they hire a 2nd person that this relief will change my mind to leave. I am very clear it won't but the discussion keeps going back to "It's OK if you decide you are not ready 2 months/6 months/a year..." and I say, "nope. I'm ready today. I'll figure the money thing out later." it is nice they're offering me a cushion when the market is so choppy but I'm done. Well done. And I'm a rare to medium rare kinda folk.

Hopefully, they'll see what they've been missing when the get the next person. My productivity and attitude suck.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pmSo far that is falling on deaf ears. I'd speak louder but again my egotistic view could easily poison the process/person/position.
Seems to me that you're doing the right thing now--you've made your position clear (even if they aren't picking up what you're laying down), and you're giving them some time to work out a plan forward.

If they don't end up with the ideal plan, well, that's not your fault.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Another call with a recruiter tomorrow at 10 am, this one came looking for me. I'm not expecting great things, since it seems cloud management is one of the few points mentioned in his email -- and that's something I'm rather light in (as in, I would not make it a selling point for myself). I gave him a lot of leeway to pick a time, and he picked the time that I was supposed to attend the inaugural coffee gtg with those in the 'hood who are, or about to, retire. There would be some irony if this interview leads to a job.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The call seemed to go ok, he will present me to the client, and it's a rather urgent hire since the previous manager gave a 4 weeks notice and they want to maximize the transition period. I was initially a little skeptical because one of the techs mentioned was cloud application management, I don't have direct experience with this. But after talking with the recruiter, they are considering migrating to cloud-based platforms, so it seems I would be one of several that would need to educate enough to create a strategy. Salary is good (+15% over my last job, plus 10-20% bonus). Location isn't bad, Oakbrook, IL, straight down I-88 from me. 2-3 days per week WFH. All kinds of yay, now to see if I get an interview with the company.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One of the hottest topics at this fall's GTC is the migration of data centers to the cloud...which means AWS for about 80% of companies. 'Course, AWS sponsors a lot of GTC sessions, so I might be getting a slightly biased picture. :) If they're to be believed, companies are stampeding to implement AI for edge devices such as IoT, machine vision (esp. medical imaging), natural language processing, and similar compute-intensive applications.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:08 pmOne of the hottest topics at this fall's GTC is the migration of data centers to the cloud...which means AWS for about 80% of companies. 'Course, AWS sponsors a lot of GTC sessions, so I might be getting a slightly biased picture. :)
You are definitely seeing their spin. AWS is ahead but Microsoft is gobbling up tons of market share right now by leveraging Windows licensing deals. I know firsthand that one Global Fortune 5 O&G went MS primary after spending 3-4 years building several prototype AWS governance structures.
If they're to be believed, companies are stampeding to implement AI for edge devices such as IoT, machine vision (esp. medical imaging), natural language processing, and similar compute-intensive applications.
Some are. The biggest companies say they are and are struggling to adapt. You see a lot more traction for this stuff at companies that have formed in the last 10 years.

In any case, I am hearing a lot more companies saying they'll go 100% cloud than I did 5 years ago. I just don't believe them. Yet. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Spoke to HR today about what it would take to keep me working and what my timeline was for an exit. "Nothing. As soon as you can replace me. If you can get rid of me tomorrow, I'm OK with that." That was not the answer they were looking for. I have an appointment with a recruiter tomorrow to help them try to define me.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

malchior wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:00 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:08 pmOne of the hottest topics at this fall's GTC is the migration of data centers to the cloud...which means AWS for about 80% of companies. 'Course, AWS sponsors a lot of GTC sessions, so I might be getting a slightly biased picture. :)
You are definitely seeing their spin. AWS is ahead but Microsoft is gobbling up tons of market share right now by leveraging Windows licensing deals. I know firsthand that one Global Fortune 5 O&G went MS primary after spending 3-4 years building several prototype AWS governance structures.
If they're to be believed, companies are stampeding to implement AI for edge devices such as IoT, machine vision (esp. medical imaging), natural language processing, and similar compute-intensive applications.
Some are. The biggest companies say they are and are struggling to adapt. You see a lot more traction for this stuff at companies that have formed in the last 10 years.

In any case, I am hearing a lot more companies saying they'll go 100% cloud than I did 5 years ago. I just don't believe them. Yet. :)
I can say it's gaining traction in the marketing world.
Got some AWS and Snowflake training this year in preparation for our entry into the arena (I'm not in marketing, I'm in the data for the marketers).