RIP The Daily Show

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

RIP The Daily Show

Post by Jeff V »

Jon Stewart leaving by the end of the year.

Well, this sucks. Larry Wilmore is no substitute for Colbert, I wonder who will be Stewart's inadequate replacement?
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

RIP The Daily Show

Post by msteelers »

Crap
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: RIP The Daily Show

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I had no idea how big that show was until a friend of mine threw a results watch-party at his bar for the 2008 Presidential election returns. They had the Daily Show on and people were fucking fanatical about Stewart. Millennial mass hysteria.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote:Jon Stewart leaving by the end of the year.

Well, this sucks. Larry Wilmore is no substitute for Colbert, I wonder who will be Stewart's inadequate replacement?
Brian Williams?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote:

Brian Williams?
He might exaggerate too much.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Since you mentioned Wilmore, I will say I'm disappointed in Wilmore's show so far, which is too bad since I like Wilmore's work on the Daily Show so much. His pre-written bits (the Daily Show-esque parts) are fine, but I just hate the celebrity panel format. I just don't care what celebrities have to say about stuff, and they're generally not that funny.

Anyway, hope they get a decent replacement for Stewart. It's too bad, but he couldn't be there forever. And the Colbert Report was more important to me anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not surprising. Jon Stewart owns a piece of Colbert and now has a taste for movie making. The Daily Show was an incredible run while it lasted. It will be a huge loss for Comedy Central.

While I'll miss Stewart, I'll miss the brilliance of Stephen Colbert more.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: I just hate the celebrity panel format.
It's unwatchable. I tried and I've given up - and like you, I found him funny on The Daily Show.

Good for Stewart - going out on top and not being pushed out after he's lost his shine. The next election cycle would probably put him over the edge so it's a good idea. No idea if they're thinking of continuing with a new host, but good luck. Those are some seriously big shoes to fill.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote: I just hate the celebrity panel format.
It's unwatchable. I tried and I've given up - and like you, I found him funny on The Daily Show.

Good for Stewart - going out on top and not being pushed out after he's lost his shine. The next election cycle would probably put him over the edge so it's a good idea. No idea if they're thinking of continuing with a new host, but good luck. Those are some seriously big shoes to fill.
I wouldn't call Wilmore unwatchable, but he needs to diversify more. The same schtick every show is going to wear thin quickly...and that schtick is rather ill-conceived in the first place. Of all the current Stewart contributors, I'd like to see Lewis Black regularly, although I think he'd explode within a week.

A few years ago, I review a book of scholarly essays about Stewart and Colbert -- and how remarkable it was they had more trust than the "real" media. Stewart could probably swap places with Brian Williams and not miss a beat (although I doubt he could suppress his opinions enough to thrive on anything but a liberal version of Faux News).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Wilmore is new, to be fair - Stewart and Colbert certainly weren't what they became on Day 1. My main issue is just that I hate the format. If that gets mixed up over time, then great - he's talented, he should be ok. But I guess I doubt that he'll revisit the basic format.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote:

Brian Williams?
No, he's taking a break from TV. Injured storming the beach at Normandy, I believe.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Don't fuck this up, Comedy Central -- give us Samantha Bee!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AWS260 wrote:Don't fuck this up, Comedy Central -- give us Samantha Bee!
I can only assume you're joking?!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Knew this was coming, after all he can't realistically do the Daily Show and run for President at the same time.

Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
I like Samantha Bee. I don't know if she would be my first choice necessarily, but I would be fine with her.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:Wilmore is new, to be fair - Stewart and Colbert certainly weren't what they became on Day 1. My main issue is just that I hate the format. If that gets mixed up over time, then great - he's talented, he should be ok. But I guess I doubt that he'll revisit the basic format.
Yes, that's my issue. The show (as designed) is unwatchable. He's clearly not comfortable yet (which I can overlook), but if the show's design doesn't work? Meh.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Wilmore is new, to be fair - Stewart and Colbert certainly weren't what they became on Day 1. My main issue is just that I hate the format. If that gets mixed up over time, then great - he's talented, he should be ok. But I guess I doubt that he'll revisit the basic format.
Yes, that's my issue. The show (as designed) is unwatchable. He's clearly not comfortable yet (which I can overlook), but if the show's design doesn't work? Meh.
I just don't get the design choice. The only thing I can think of is that it's pretty similar in design to Maher's HBO show, right? So I guess at least some people like that sort of thing?
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
I like Samantha Bee. I don't know if she would be my first choice necessarily, but I would be fine with her.
I think she's fantastic. I was disappointed when John Oliver got the summer substitute gig instead of her (I like Oliver just fine, but Bee's more abrasive style suits me better).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Bee is barely tolerable in small skits, and my wife HATES her humor. John Oliver's self-deprecating Brit was a much better choice. It's a shame that he left the Daily Show too soon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote:Bee is barely tolerable in small skits, and my wife HATES her humor. John Oliver's self-deprecating Brit was a much better choice. It's a shame that he left the Daily Show too soon.
In some ways it is (it would be great to have him as the Daily Show host 4 nights / week), but his HBO show is unbelievably fantastic.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm glad he left the Daily Show. He flourishes in an HBO environment in a once a week setting that he couldn't do on a Viacom public channel on a nightly basis.

I have no idea what would make me happy. I never cared for what the Daily Show quickly became, which is precisely what attracted them such a large crowd. So I'm not going to be their target demographic. I don't think they can pull off continuing what Stewart did but I also don't think they can alienate millions of young liberals using liberal satire as their primary news source.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Bee is barely tolerable in small skits, and my wife HATES her humor. John Oliver's self-deprecating Brit was a much better choice. It's a shame that he left the Daily Show too soon.
In some ways it is (it would be great to have him as the Daily Show host 4 nights / week), but his HBO show is unbelievably fantastic.
Did they change the time slot? Every time I remembered to look for it over the past month and a half, it wasn't there. Need to add to Tivo, perhaps replacing Wilmore.

I too think Samantha Bee is tolerable only in small doses, and even then, she's only sometimes funny, other times, just irritating.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Did they change the time slot? Every time I remembered to look for it over the past month and a half, it wasn't there. Need to add to Tivo, perhaps replacing Wilmore.

I too think Samantha Bee is tolerable only in small doses, and even then, she's only sometimes funny, other times, just irritating.
They were on break for a few months. I believe they aired a new show this past Sunday - haven't gotten around to watching it yet (though now that taxes are done, maybe that'll happen tonight). Should be on HBO Go now, at any rate.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lightning Round: Who Will Replace Jon Stewart As Host of ‘The Daily Show’?

Love the Tina Fey suggestion, though I'm sure that's a fantasy.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jessica Williams?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Daily Show with Craig Ferguson
I don't think it would be nearly as political, but Craig is one funny guy. Plus, he'll have Kristen Bell on the show frequently, which is a good thing.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:Lightning Round: Who Will Replace Jon Stewart As Host of ‘The Daily Show’?

Love the Tina Fey suggestion, though I'm sure that's a fantasy.
Tina Fey makes sense if she wants to make that kind of commitment.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I like her. I don't know if I would get super excited about her candidacy, but she does good bits and might well do a fine job. I don't know if any of the current correspondents really blows me away, though I don't hate any of them either. If I were Comedy Central I would listen to pitches from each of them.

I guess out of the current correspondents my favorite is Aasif Mandvi.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
The Daily Show with Craig Furguson.
I don't think it would be nearly as political, but Craig is one funny guy. Plus, he'll have Kristen Bell on the show frequently, which is a good thing.
Craig had openly said he's moving on to something else. :cry: Even his phoning it in was better than any other late night TV.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Aasif Mandvi.
Aasif is a way better comedian than I gave credit for as correspondent. I'd wait and see with him rather than reject him outright. That's better than I would do for a lot of people.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The MSNBC talking heads sat around last night on the O'Donnell Show and talked about Stewart leaving. Interestingly enough they said he (Stewart) covered the daily news better than he did because he had more freedom. Meanwhile they (being a news network and all) were talking about a comedy central program. :roll:
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

First Colbert and then Stewart - I'm going to have a lot less TV to watch. Although if Colbert's new gig is an hour long (and it appeals to me, which seems likely but is kind of an unknown at this point), I suppose it will end up being a wash. I also watched a couple of Nightly Shows and then deleted the season pass. I just didn't entertain me, and I like Larry Wilmont.

I totally get and can relate to Stewart's choice here, but I don't have to like it. I really, really enjoyed those two shows and the way they poked holes into the illusions that politicians and corporations try to project to the public. It will be a real loss to be without them, though I'm uncertain how much genuine change they engendered.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I was really looking forward to watching the Daily Show as the primary season started up.

Oh well - at least now I don't risk falling 40 episodes behind like I did last summer. :oops:
Jag

Post by Jag »

I don't watch Stewart, but I love John Oliver. He killed it with this week's return show.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I never watched either of them but I enjoy seeing highlight clips online. And I totally think Jon Stewart could win the presidency.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:I never watched either of them but I enjoy seeing highlight clips online. And I totally think Jon Stewart could win the presidency.
I could see him winning and not be a good nor effective president.

I could also see Steven Fry being a great late night personality on American TV, though I'm not sure he'd be a great fit for a show based in news satire.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote:
Craig already has an in on a syndicated talk show for 2016. That'll give him a far larger audience than Comedy Central ever could.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote:I wonder who will be Stewart's inadequate replacement?
Hal Jordan. Possibly Guy Gardner.

(Yes, I stole this.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Craig already has an in on a syndicated talk show for 2016. That'll give him a far larger audience than Comedy Central ever could.
Can't find what you are talking about but I did find this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... iPAvM0t5Bo
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think they should replace him with Hodor.
Black Lives Matter.