RIP The Daily Show

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: RIP The Daily Show

Post by Odin »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:I never watched either of them but I enjoy seeing highlight clips online. And I totally think Jon Stewart could win the presidency.
I could see him winning and not be a good nor effective president.
It kind of depends. Could he bring his Daily Show staff writers in and make them his cabinet? Because with a team of people researching and calling out every political move that his opponents made to block him, the shock of somebody in washington NOT playing the game and telling the truth might actually give him an edge.

Of course, the problem is that the president can guide policy, but he doesn't make laws, so it would still be an uphill battle.

I frankly wouldn't mind seeing him try, though. There's nobody up from either side who I'd prefer to see in the White House. They're all a bunch of scumbags.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

While I think both Stewart and Colbert could conceivably win, I think they both understand how difficult things are on the other side of the fence. I couldn't imagine either of them wanting that job -- at least for more than a week. Mocking a hostile congress for petty politicking would detract from the heady task of creating policy that affects hundreds of millions of Americans and billions of people worldwide. Can anyone actually imagine Stewart ordering troops into battle? Part of what makes him such a good comedian is his passionate empathy, something that has to be left behind when ascending the throne.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
The Daily Show with Craig Ferguson
I don't think it would be nearly as political, but Craig is one funny guy. Plus, he'll have Kristen Bell on the show frequently, which is a good thing.
Craig already has an in on a syndicated talk show for 2016. That'll give him a far larger audience than Comedy Central ever could.
Can't find what you are talking about but I did find this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... iPAvM0t5Bo
Those videos are hilarious.

However, here's the bit about his 2016 syndicated show.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jason Jones is out too
Daily Show full-time correspondent and contributor Jason Jones has just announced his departure from the nightly news program.

Jones’ reason for leaving the show has not yet been reported but he did announce a few moments later that his new show with wife Samantha Bee has been greenlit by TBS. The husband-and-wife duo will executive produce the series. Jones will star in the series
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Jon's conversation with his audience and the viewing audience, breaking the news of his leaving.

Moment of Zen
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trevor Noah
Trevor Noah, a young South African comedian who has been a contributor on The Daily Show for barely four months, will replace Jon Stewart as host of the Comedy Central satirical news show.
Noah has appeared on the show only three times.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I wonder if any of the other regular and semi-regulars will continue to appear, or if they will let this guy build up his own posse.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting. I've liked this guy in the two or three appearances that I've seen, but that's not enough to have a strong opinion of him. We'll see, I guess.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Bill Simmons tweeted that Comedy Central pursued three big names first: Amy Poehler, Louis CK, and Amy Schumer, but didn't land any of them. Not too surprising - hard to see how Louis CK would be a fit (great though he is); Poehler would probably be a natural fit but she may be too big for the position. I like Amy Schumer a lot, so she's intriguing, though I'm not sure what exactly she would have done with it.
Black Lives Matter.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The handful of times this guy was on the show, he didn't wow me. I'm surprised Aasif Mandvi never got mentioned as a candidate. Maybe he's too busy making movies?

For me, whether I keep watching or not will apparently come down to format. I like Larry Wilmore well enough, but I hate the format of his show and quit watching almost immediately. If the new Daily Show is written similarly to the old one and if Noah doesn't annoy me too much, I'll watch it. Otherwise, I guess I won't. Either way I'll live.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Odin wrote:I like Larry Wilmore well enough, but I hate the format of his show and quit watching almost immediately.
I got about halfway through one show and that was that.

I've yet to see how Craig Ferguson's replacement is doing. His promos didn't inspire to find out.

What I don't get is how CC expects to luck into finding the right fit. Stewart had a long history of SNL news to pull from and CC had writers who did guest spots that they let move on to greener pastures. They really dropped the ball on Stewart and Colbert and they did it while letting John Oliver slip away to become the greatest news show on television.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I like Aasif Mandvi a lot and would've liked him to receive consideration also. At the same time, assuming that list of names is accurate, I can see a strategy. Jon Stewart's been doing his thing on the Daily Show for 16 years, and at some point the formula is going to (may already) get stale - there's only so many times you can skewer Fox News for banal right wing talking points before it gets old. If you can't land a huge name, you go with an outside fresh face and give them the freedom to rework the show in an original way.

In some ways the case against any of the current Daily Show correspondents is that you may wind up with Jon Stewart lite. It's like buying a used car with 100,000 miles on it - you can only get so much more out of it before things break down.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

John Oliver seems to be going that route with 1/4 of the weekly exposure.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:John Oliver seems to be going that route with 1/4 of the weekly exposure.
I don't think of John Oliver as Jon Stewart light at all. He doesn't monologue attacks people or parties or Fox News at all. He examines topical news worthy ideas. I think he's way better than Stewart ever was when it comes to news programming.

I debate getting HBO just so I can watch is program (and then I could also see GoT)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:John Oliver seems to be going that route with 1/4 of the weekly exposure.
I don't think of John Oliver as Jon Stewart light at all. He doesn't monologue attacks people or parties or Fox News at all. He examines topical news worthy ideas. I think he's way better than Stewart ever was when it comes to news programming.

I debate getting HBO just so I can watch is program (and then I could also see GoT)
I agree - the Daily Show is daily news comedy, while Oliver's show is a deep dive on topics that usually aren't in the news of the day.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LordMortis wrote:I debate getting HBO just so I can watch is program (and then I could also see GoT)
Follow him on YouTube and you can watch the main segment posted every Monday morning.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I debate getting HBO just so I can watch is program (and then I could also see GoT)
Follow him on YouTube and you can watch the main segment posted every Monday morning.
That's how I watch him now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Aasif is too much of a loud-talker. That would get annoying, quickly. I like him on the bits he does, but I don't think he's right for anchoring a show. Another favorite of mine is Lewis Black, but much the same problem (although compared with Aasif, Black would command the anchor chair a little better).

Oliver did a good job filling in for Stewart, and he was a newbie on the show -- so I don't think any of the supporting cast was thought to be anchor-material. His problem -- and I can't recall the new guy just yet so I can't speak about him -- is the credibility he would have as a foreigner mocking our politics (among other things). The show would have required a format change to accommodate him. For doing "fake news" and comedy, Jon Stewart is regarded as one of the most trusted news sources (how sad it that?) I still think the perfect candidate would have been Brian Williams, but it seems he still has delusions of resuming his career as if the fall from grace never happened.

BTW, Wilmore is changing things up a bit. He still has the Bill Maher-type panel discussion, but he's introducing new tricks during the 3rd segment, not just the "keeping it real" schtick. And he seems to be getting more comfortable. I'm still watching it, it's just not on my "must" list like Colbert was.
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Noah, has a comedy central stand up special that's great, also comes on showtime. I don't think they lucked into him, he's been working abroad for a while,and apparently has hosted late night talk, multiple radio and event shows. His special was reminiscent of daily show topic handling.

Edit: not abroad as in he bases in US, abroad as in he's South African and also worked internationally.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

From Rolling Stone Magazine, a quick interview with Jon Stewart.
For Stewart, another perk of leaving The Daily Show is that he won't have to watch the "relentless" 24-hour news networks anymore. "Watching these channels all day is incredibly depressing," Stewart said. "I live in a constant state of depression. I think of us as turd miners. I put on my helmet, I go and mine turds, hopefully I don't get turd lung disease."
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The eloquence of Jon Stewart.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tonight is the last episode hosted by Jon Stewart so if that's something you're into, set the DVR now. Also, last night Arby's actually aired a goodbye commercial to him which is pretty impressive given his weekly taunting of their food. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Classy, Arby's.

Wait, Jon's last episode AND THE REPUBLICAN DEBATE? This calls for TiVo.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Classy, Arby's.

The debates win... Unless they totally suck.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Classy, Arby's.

The debates win... Unless they totally suck.
I'm used to watching such debates filtered through The Daily Show. Not sure what I'm going to do now in regards to the debates, but Tivo has been recording The Daily show since I got it, and tonight will be for the last time.
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

Tonight's show will run over 30 minutes. I think my TiVo has it set for 50 minutes but I padded another 15 minutes to it, just in case.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm off tomorrow, and as long as I don't get stuck working until midnight like I did last Thursday, I ought to be able to watch this when it airs.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

telcta wrote:Tonight's show will run over 30 minutes. I think my TiVo has it set for 50 minutes but I padded another 15 minutes to it, just in case.
Ooh, glad you mentioned that. I don't think my DVR is smart enough to adjust itself like that. I would have been pissed to find out I only recorded half of the final show.
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Also you can watch it on Hulu the next day, but you have commercials. I don't have cable so that is what I do.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Smoove_B wrote:Tonight is the last episode hosted by Jon Stewart so if that's something you're into, set the DVR now. Also, last night Arby's actually aired a goodbye commercial to him which is pretty impressive given his weekly taunting of their food. :D

That was funny, weird and probably a brilliant idea by someone at Arby's.
Black Lives Matter
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

My mom is going to record then watch the finally later.
I am going to see her tomorrow AM and will let her know about this ^ She might record/watch a few episodes. Too bad she is tuning into him now, after he is done.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

telcta wrote:Tonight's show will run over 30 minutes. I think my TiVo has it set for 50 minutes but I padded another 15 minutes to it, just in case.
This was a very good idea. Went about 63 minutes.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What is this 1902? I can find it on youtube in entirety in the morning. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Uhhmayzing!

I am so glad I got to witness the Stewart/Colbert era! I feel like the earth has tilted a little bit because the impact of those two shows.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Jon Stewart retiring the night of the first Republican Primary Debate is like a sniper walking away from a target rich environment because it got just too damn easy.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Technically the thread title is incorrect, as Trevor Noah will be the new host of the Daily Show. As to whether it will survive, who knows?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rshetts2 wrote:Jon Stewart retiring the night of the first Republican Primary Debate is like a sniper walking away from a target rich environment because it got just too damn easy.
Maybe he can do a special?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Pyperkub wrote:Technically the thread title is incorrect, as Trevor Noah will be the new host of the Daily Show. As to whether it will survive, who knows?
It's dead. Noah is an epitaph. And honestly I'll be shocked if he survives the first year. He's not that funny and he's not Jon Stewart.

Though I will say that I'd totally support an effort to re-cast the show with Jessica Williams when Noah doesn't work out.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Let's give Noah a shot. Stewart wasn't all that in the mid 90s, either.