X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by rshetts2 »

Its hasnt been as quite what I expected but Ive enjoyed the run so far. They tackled several pretty heavy philosophical issues in the last episode and basing the episode on suicide bombers was a bit of a risk. Still they managed to have a bit of fun with Mulder on his trip.
I agree that the 6 episode run kind of shackled them a bit, It really didnt give them enough time to re-establish the show and that has made things seem rushed at times.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kraken wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:I think they really hurt themselves by doing just 6 episodes. There wasn't enough time to focus on the mythology while still doing the monster-of-the-week episodes that made the show so much fun.
It doesn't know if it's a tribute or a pilot or a sequel or a reboot, and it doesn't succeed at being any of those. Although it has its moments, I hope it doesn't become a zombie existence of six episodes at a time with an uncertain future.

Agree that I really don't want a spinoff with those new agents. They're ok as occasional foil characters.

Wife thought that was Lauren Ambrose. I thought it was Allison Pill. Apparently she was right...and apparently those women were separated at birth.
Not true. Lauren Ambrose is attractive. Allison pill is... Not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah the internet.

I would say Alison Pill is very attractive. As would most red blooded males. :wink:
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It appears the series has done well enough rating wise that they may want to do another mini series run.
the first five episodes have averaged a 3.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 9.9 million total viewers in same-day numbers, it would certainly behoove Fox to keep the solid ratings performer around.
taken from this article: http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-19/fox-exe ... ve-do-more

Theres nothing solid on a renewal but it seem the numbers are there, so we may see more of Mulder and Scully.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote:Ah the internet.

I would say Alison Pill is very attractive. As would most red blooded males. :wink:
Neither of them are "my type" insofar as there is such a thing, but they aren't unattractive, either. Their expressions and mannerisms are very similar. They could easily pass for sisters.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote:It appears the series has done well enough rating wise that they may want to do another mini series run.
That kind of maybe-yes, maybe-no, short-run scheduling is not good for continuity or direction.
geezer

Post by geezer »

:oops: ok. Fair enough. I didn't mean to be that Internet guy. It's just that I only know Allison Pill from Newsroom and I thought she was extraordinarily plain and exceptionally annoying. But objectively she's cute I guess.
Last edited by geezer on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Kraken wrote:

Neither of them are "my type" insofar as there is such a thing, but they aren't unattractive, either. Their expressions and mannerisms are very similar. They could easily pass for sisters.
Going to have to vote for: not attractive
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

WTF?!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Umm... What did I just watch?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I suppose this means we'll get another series/movie, but that was completely unsatisfying.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

ImLawBoy wrote:I suppose this means we'll get another series/movie, but that was completely unsatisfying.
D'accord!
I hope that the reappearance of Miller & Einstein doesn't mean a spinoff is in the offing. Ugh.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Xmann wrote:Umm... What did I just watch?
That pretty much sums it up. Felt like it started in the middle of a movie and then ended 45 minutes early. Was Mulder in the episode for more than 3 minutes? So disappointed.

From Hollywood Reporter:
Are we going to see more of The X-Files on Fox?

They're going to ask for more. The ratings were very good. They were happy with the show. I talked to Dana Walden today. She said they'd very much like more, but nothing's being negotiated yet.

What did the network think of the cliffhanger?

The X-Files traditionally ended with a cliffhanger, and we didn't want to do anything different. This just happens to be a very big cliffhanger. I have an idea of where the story goes.

The finale also sets up a landscape where aliens and the big conspiracy aren't that secret. Is that where you want to take it?

It begs that question. I've thought about it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ImLawBoy wrote:I suppose this means we'll get another series/movie, but that was completely unsatisfying.
Unless they can blow it out of the park n any follow up that's a huge price to pay IMO. Where do they take from here? The cat's out of the bag, and apocalyptically so. Nothing can be the same after this, and this isn't something that could be swept under the rug, too many people would have to be involved to cover this up with some alternate explanation. I'll also note that tens of millions will die because it takes weeks/months to create and distribute a vaccine, which isn't going to be easy with society collapsing.

Maybe they'll merge the X Files and The Walking Dead :roll:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, it would definitely have to be in a wildly different world. It would be even more unsatisfying if they started a new season with, "Thank goodness you saved the world with that vaccine you cooked up in 20 minutes, Scully! That was a close one! Now what do you think about these crop circles?"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ImLawBoy wrote:Yeah, it would definitely have to be in a wildly different world. It would be even more unsatisfying if they started a new season with, "Thank goodness you saved the world with that vaccine you cooked up in 20 minutes, Scully! That was a close one! Now what do you think about these crop circles?"
That would be worth it just to see the nerd rage dialed up to 11.

Now I am gonna have to watch the series just to see how unsatisfying it is.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymann wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:Yeah, it would definitely have to be in a wildly different world. It would be even more unsatisfying if they started a new season with, "Thank goodness you saved the world with that vaccine you cooked up in 20 minutes, Scully! That was a close one! Now what do you think about these crop circles?"
That would be worth it just to see the nerd rage dialed up to 11.

Now I am gonna have to watch the series just to see how unsatisfying it is.
The series wasn't unsatisfying, just the cliffhanger for a show that we don't even know will be back in any form. The new episodes, though uneven, were overall pretty good, IMO.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

That was a bizzare ending. Overall I enjoyed the mini series. I wish they hadnt run with just 6 episodes thought, because the show felt rushed at times and especially rushed in the final episode. I does look like we will likely get another mini series in the future, there was a quote by Carter on SyFy that basically said that the ratings were strong and all parties want to do more, they just need to work out scheduling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumors swirling that a 10-episode season 11 is going to be announced soon:
Just as it was the last go around, the biggest hurdle has been scheduling, with finding an opening in the work schedule of the always busy Gillian Anderson being a key issue. That has been all but resolved and, while there are still some key deal points (fear not, I hear Fox got the memo on equal pay) all three are set to return for the new season, which I’m told is eyeing a Spring/Mid-2017 production start in Vancouver. Sources also tell TVWise that Fox is eyeing the new season for a key slot on their 2017 Fall schedule.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:finding an opening in the work schedule of the always busy Gillian Anderson being a key issue.
Huh? I can't name a thing she's been in recently except the X-Files. I'll have to iMDB to see what the heck is keeping her so busy. Maybe she's off doing humanitarian work or something?

*Edit: Okay, nevermind. She's doing a lot of stuff I'd probably never watch.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

American Gods is on your 'probably never watch' list?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She's also very good in The Fall. I mean, it's not hand modeling, but she's definitely been doing steady work since the X-Files ended.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote:American Gods is on your 'probably never watch' list?
Never even heard of it. I don't have cable TV and don't watch shows online. My commercial exposure is almost nil. If it's not on Netflix, and not in my face, I have no clue.

My life is basically: Up at 5:00am, get ready for work, out the door at 6:05am, work until 3:30pm, home by 4:15, make & eat dinner, take care of the kids until 7:30, tuck them in for bed, spend an hour or two with my wife (maybe watch a movie or talk), get on the computer and play games, go to bed at 12:00am. Repeat 5 days a week. Weekends are much the same, but with a lot of errands and chores instead of work.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's based on a Neil Gaiman book that is well-reviewed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paingod wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:American Gods is on your 'probably never watch' list?
Never even heard of it. I don't have cable TV and don't watch shows online. My commercial exposure is almost nil. If it's not on Netflix, and not in my face, I have no clue.

My life is basically: Up at 5:00am, get ready for work, out the door at 6:05am, work until 3:30pm, home by 4:15, make & eat dinner, take care of the kids until 7:30, tuck them in for bed, spend an hour or two with my wife (maybe watch a movie or talk), get on the computer and play games, go to bed at 12:00am. Repeat 5 days a week. Weekends are much the same, but with a lot of errands and chores instead of work.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well it wasn't soon, but it's been announced:
Just more than three years after the last revival of the Chris Carter-created series was announced, Fox said Thursday a new 10-episode run of the Gillian Anderson- and David Duchovny-starrer is set to start production this summer.

Technically the 11th season of The X-Files, this new run will air on Fox’s schedule either later this year or early next. Starting off with strong ratings, the previous six-episode revival of the FBI conspiracy drama debuted January 24, 2016 on the very revival friendly Fox.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I quit tv a few years ago. Just up and quit. So even though I loved loved loved X-Files I did not watch the return of it. Hear it was good. I will miss it and the new STar Trek(which sounds like crap) and I dont watch The Expanse...miss a lot but also dont really miss it either.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Excited, hope they can catch magic in the bottle twice!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It will be interesting to see how they unravel that mess at the end of the last season.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New thread? Title change? Anyway, here's the first official trailer for the next season, straight from NY Comic-Con.
The all-new 10-episode installment once again will be executive-produced by creator Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson returning in their roles as iconic FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. The event series will air during the 2017-2018 season.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a reminder, the next (last?) season of X-Files resumes tomorrow night (1/3). Here's a bit of information that was posted right before the holidays via TV Insider:
This season will maintain the drama’s basic storytelling format: The premiere and finale are directly tied to the core mythology, while the eight hours in between are standalone “monster of the week” installments. “Fake news, science being thrown out the window, conspiracies—these things that are causing huge shifts in culture, politics and, in many cases, morality right now will play into the new stories we tell,” Carter says.

Many characters from the show’s history are set to return, including Annabeth Gish’s duplicitous agent Monica Reyes and presumed-dead conspiracy-loving Lone Gunmen member Richard Langly (Dean Haglund). Karin Konoval, who appeared in the once-banned Season 4 episode “Home,” is back as not one but two new characters. Plus, Mulder’s half-brother, former federal agent Jeffrey Spender (Chris Owens), pops up as a pivotal part of the William storyline.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I binge watched season 10 so I will be up to date for tonight. Don't see a big problem with the cliffhanger since
Spoiler:
they already have the vaccine.
It appears they are grooming Einstein and her partner to take over if the show keeps going.

And Mulder on shrooms was worth the price of admission.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't remember the previous miniseries at all. I suppose I ought to record this one anyway.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, that was a pretty good start though they did finesse the cliffhanger at the end of the last run. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's pretty ham-fisted:
Spoiler:
It was all a premonition?
But I did enjoy: "Mind if I smoke?"

And Barbara Hershey has got to be the hottest 70 year old on the planet.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 am That's pretty ham-fisted:
Spoiler:
It was all a premonition?
But I did enjoy: "Mind if I smoke?"

And Barbara Hershey has got to be the hottest 70 year old on the planet.
...after Bernadette Peters

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't hate it, though the whole car chase scene felt like a car commercial. Very strange edits - repeated foot to the floor, speedometer, etc... X-files 2 Furious or something.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

5 minute episode in 42 minutes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Much better than last week's episode, that's for sure. I think the biggest contributing factor was that instead of them being split up last week, they spent 90% of their time together and exchanging witty dialogue. I was a bit surprised to see Langly.
Spoiler:
but appreciated the effort they went through to officially put The Lone Gunmen to rest (for those that doubted they were truly gone).

Then again the ending of this week's episode (in true X-Files fashion) didn't quite close the door completely. It was kind of weird how they were able to seamlessly incorporate 2017/2018 America into what's happening to them and the X-Files. Also, F Skinner.

Hilarious:

Enlarge Image
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I LOL'd at the comment about the Patriots...
-mf