X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: X-Files close to returning to tv with new eps

Post by YellowKing »

My understanding is that it was originally shot in HD and cropped for TV. Only Season 1 is HD right now, but I'm hoping they convert the others.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

ImLawBoy wrote:So, do they do some kind of retro-fake HD to update the picture? Was any of the original series shot in HD?
It was shot on 35mm film, so not fake at all. Some special effects are going to be an issue if they were added as video, but it's not really an effects heavy show.
Twitter: joerumz
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good correction Tiny - I should have said widescreen instead of HD since there really wasn't "HD" back then. :D

I'm really looking forward to watching these again now that I'm caught up on some other series. I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen the full series. While it was airing I caught episodes here and there, but overall I'd estimate I only saw 10-20% of the total run. I did go back and watch Season 1 when it came out on VHS, but that's about it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From Fox:
The next mind-bending chapter of THE X-FILES debuts with a special two-night event beginning Sunday, Jan. 24 (10:00-11:00 PM ET/7:00-8:00 PM PT), following the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, and continuing with its time period premiere on Monday, Jan. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT). The thrilling, six-episode event series, helmed by creator/executive producer Chris Carter and starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as FBI Agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY, marks the momentous return of the Emmy- and Golden Globe Award-winning pop culture phenomenon, which remains one of the longest-running sci-fi series in network television history.
Looking forward to it babysitting the TiVo to deal with it being bumped or cut because football is running late. Never change Fox, never change.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sunday nights are already pretty competitive. I don't pay much attention to what airs when or where unless my DVR balks at getting new marching orders, but it seems like Sundays are always full.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The second episode of the new season is allegedly titled Home Again.
What’s more, the writer-director of the episode is Glen Morgan, who just so happened to pen the the original “Home” with fellow X scribe James Wong.
Sounds good to me -- plenty of time to mentally prepare. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LINK

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Gillian Anderson, Joel McHale and David Duchovny. EW notes McHale plays "a conservative talk show host who asks Mulder and Scully to do some paranormal investigating."

Enlarge Image
Annet Mahendru as Sveta, who "believes she's regularly abducted by aliens", per EW.

And I had to include this.....

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A VERY quick peek.... http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/17/ ... 9349000019

Hearing that whistle music at the end makes me hyped. Love that.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

EW has reported that The Lone Gunmen will be back on the new mini series.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That...should be interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given how they polished off their series with the X-Files cameo, interesting is probably a good word.

Unless...
Spoiler:
Their deaths were faked as part of a CONSPIRACY!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Blackhawk wrote:Given how they polished off their series with the X-Files cameo, interesting is probably a good word.

Unless...
Spoiler:
Pretty-sure that was actually cannon. Or at-least explained in a comic book continuation or some such.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Lordnine wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Given how they polished off their series with the X-Files cameo, interesting is probably a good word.

Unless...
Spoiler:
Pretty-sure that was actually cannon. Or at-least explained in a comic book continuation or some such.
Yep, it was established canon in post series literature.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And yet post-series literature in most cases is not considered canon. :think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:And yet post-series literature in most cases is not considered canon. :think:
And yet in this case it is:
The X-Files: Season 10 is a 25-issue comic book series published by IDW Publishing. The title serves as a canonical continuation of the television series The X-Files, and follows the events of the 2008 film The X-Files: I Want to Believe. Chris Carter, who created the television series, is the Executive Producer of the comic book series and also contributed to several elements to the comics' stories.
:coffee:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know they (the writers/actors) said they deeply regretted their decision regarding TLG so this doesn't actually surprise me all that much. I'm sure all kinds of story crafting will be necessary to explain the last 13 years and quite honestly it wouldn't be a true X-Files return without them part of it.

Also, can you really spoil something that's 13 years old at this point? If you haven't watched it yet, that's not on me.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

An update I saw today say's The Lone Gunmen will appear in every episode of the rebooted series.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some new promos for it. Why does Mulder kick that awesome poster!!!??? :)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/29/ ... al-is-here

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For some reason it popped into my head that I remember back when the show was new how some of us in RL talked about how bright their flashlights were and that the cast said they were really heavy. I always wanted one of their lights lol.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

I've never seen the X-Files, but I recently started listening to the Nerdist Podcast and somewhere between Ep 600-625 is one with Gillian Anderson (can't remember which one, just that those were the ones I downloaded when I heard her). It happened late last year and I think they might have made this reboot happen during the show. If anyone is a Gillian fan, she was an awesome and funny guest - highly recommend a listen.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I know it’s mean but my first thought after seeing the trailer was, Mulder and Scully both look like they’re melting!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Lordnine wrote:I know it’s mean but my first thought after seeing the trailer was, Mulder and Scully both look like they’re melting!

Its called aging, and yep it sucks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B in May of 2015 wrote:Looking forward to it babysitting the TiVo to deal with it being bumped or cut because football is running late. Never change Fox, never change.
It's like...I've done this before.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blah blah blah Carolina. Congrats and let's get to the X-Files dammit. Stop asking Cam questions, Bradshaw! Arrgh,adds 60 minutes to end time on DVR and goes to watch last episode of Jessica Jones instead
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I need to watch the second movie. I've never seen it. I guess the last season and first movie dampened my ardor for it back then. Here's hoping the new stuff is awesome, even if Scully isn't the poster material she was back then.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Yep, I get to hope they put it on demand soon so I can watch it, since my DVR recorded a half hour of football people telling everyone that watched it what they just watched.

Why do they do that? Surely the people who gave a crap about it know what they just saw, and the people who didn't watch it clearly can't possibly care to see people talking about what they didn't watch. It makes no sense at all to dip a half hour into a show that Fox presumably wants to succeed, and now folks that didn't remember about football missed half of the first episode.

Fantastic.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

So was it good?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Doomboy wrote:Yep, I get to hope they put it on demand soon so I can watch it, since my DVR recorded a half hour of football people telling everyone that watched it what they just watched.
It's on fox.com - available without provider login.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote:So was it good?
Actually, not really - the story was disjointed, and all over the place emotionally and dramatically. But that's ok. I've read the next two episodes are really good and reminiscent of some of the better episodes of the first run. So I can be patient.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd have to disagree. From keeping the exact same opening to Fox calling Scully info-dumping on the phone, hanging up and then disappearing, it was true to form. I think for a show that hasn't seen a new episode in 14 years, it was a respectable effort. Yes, there was a ton of exposition but I think they did a good job of setting the tone. I could definitely get used to seeing the two them reprise their roles and return to the X-Files. Or at least film 12 episodes, have Fox air five completely out of order and then cancel them all over again.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My wife has never seen the show before. Should I watch the older seasons with her first? Diving into 9 seasons of a show is kind of intimidating.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I doubt it would be worth the effort - and I say that as of OG fan of the show and as someone that watched the first 3 seasons again last year. There are some terrible episodes early on. I'd say watch these six and if there's interest in seeing how they got to that point, have at it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Am I the only one that thought that William B. Davis was dead?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That would have been a reasonable assumption, yes. However, that's what made the ending so much better. :D

Also, deep in your heart, you knew he was still alive - all you needed to do was look at the number of Superbowls the Bills have won since he "died".
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:I doubt it would be worth the effort - and I say that as of OG fan of the show and as someone that watched the first 3 seasons again last year. There are some terrible episodes early on. I'd say watch these six and if there's interest in seeing how they got to that point, have at it.
OTOH, the first few seasons are a lot of MotW so there's not a lot of harm in picking out some of the better ones and just watching those.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:That would have been a reasonable assumption, yes. However, that's what made the ending so much better. :D

Also, deep in your heart, you knew he was still alive - all you needed to do was look at the number of Superbowls the Bills have won since he "died".
:hawk:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The first episode was decent. It was clearly made to re-establish the underlying mythos and the X-Files themselves. I think now that they have all the necessary introductions out of the way things flow a bit better.

On a related note, I noticed on the dark web that someone named RM-IX sanctioned a hit on William B. Davis, stating "Its time for this losing bullshit to stop"
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

YellowKing wrote:My understanding is that it was originally shot in HD and cropped for TV. Only Season 1 is HD right now, but I'm hoping they convert the others.
An UPDATE to your info...Amazon has X-Files boxset seasons 1-9 on bluray now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01729J1O2/ref ... SABLQR8N8B
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

RunningMn9 wrote:Am I the only one that thought that William B. Davis was dead?
I had thought that too until I started watching Continuum (time travel TV show from Canada) and he has a major role in that.