Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Whatever you guys say there. The risk management at NASA has often been suspect and this was a whopper of a risky decision. Let's hope it turned out ok.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Meanwhile, NASA's 2024 budget request was updated to include a humongous tarp.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice little demo.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

There's a lot of motivation to light that candle, but damn, *that's* a whopper of a risky decision to discount those high winds. Godspeed Artemis I.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Even AccuWeather dunking now...

stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:10 pm Meanwhile, NASA's 2024 budget request was updated to include a humongous tarp.
:lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA gives the OK for Artemis launch after rocket endures Nicole
NASA's Jim Free confirmed during an afternoon teleconference on Friday that the scheduled Nov. 16 Artemis I launch is still a go, despite the rocket receiving some minor damage from Hurricane Nicole.

“Right now, there’s nothing preventing us from getting to the 16th," he said of the uncrewed Artemis I mission.

During the 3 p.m. EST teleconference with reporters, Free said that NASA officials had meetings last week about rolling the Space Launch System rocket and the Orion spacecraft back to Launch Pad 39B before Nicole was even formed, saying that at that time the wind speeds were supposed to be much lower.

Once the 322-foot rocket and its spacecraft were on the launch pad on, Nov. 4, they had meetings about the pros and cons of rolling them back to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) as they monitored the storm system, Free said, who is the NASA Associate Administrator for Exploration Systems Development.

“We had predictions then that the storm’s winds were going to be high, but still within our certification limits,” he explained of the more than two-hour meeting NASA had about rolling back Artemis in the VAB.

He did admit damage was detected on the vehicle and that engineers would inspect the $4.1 billion Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft.

Some room temperature vulcanizing (a sealant or caulk that he mentioned in his tweet) was loose on the Orion and there has been discussion of just snipping it off and determining the risk iof not replacing it, Free said.

An umbilical to the Orion came off its tray, but a team of people, including a veteran, moved it back to where it needed to be, Free said, adding that water got into the crew access arm and it will be dealt with.

In addition to a tear in the engine rain covers that will be fixed, Free said workers realized that one of the electrical umbilicals on the hydrogen tail service mass unit is having issues.

“We do have an issue on the ground side of one of the electrical umbilicals on the hydrogen tail service mass unit that was exhibiting some erratic signals," he said. "The team is out at the pad, taking out that apart and doing some visual inspection, figuring out what the issue is there and what we might need to do in terms of replacing that hardness. We do have a backup harness. It looks like we’d be able to use if it needs to be replaced."

Despite the minor damage, Free said the vehicle is in pretty good condition and engineers will begin to power it up on Friday in preparation for next week's launch.

It was because of Nicole that NASA was forced to push the fourth launch attempt date from Nov. 14 to Nov. 16. But Free said that if backups are needed, they still have Nov. 19 and 25.
Well, I'm out of town on the 16th (celebrating our 43th anniversary :dance:) so I'd prefer a launch attempt on the 19th, thank you. And please not on the 25th, the day after Thanksgiving, it will be mobbed around here :grund:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Only a few minutes away from a rare Falcon 9 launch that will not recover the booster.

Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Details About X-37B Payload Adapter Revealed After Record-Setting Mission

For the first time, we’ve got to see the U.S. Space Force’s top-secret X-37B reusable spaceplane together with its service module, a bolt-on payload package that boosts the number of missions that this shadowy uncrewed orbital platform can undertake. The photo disclosure came soon after X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle-6, or OTV-6 — signaling its sixth mission — returned to Earth after a record 908 days (or roughly two and a half years) spent in orbit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Booster 7 resumes static fire testing as SpaceX ramps up Starship production
Booster 7 is set to resume its static fire test campaign as soon as Monday with a short firing of half of its engines in what is hoped to be the significant event before the long-awaited 33-engine static fire test. This milestone will put the Super Heavy booster one step closer to being ready for Starship’s first orbital flight.

Meanwhile...
Over in Florida, progress is continuing at the Starship facilities at KSC.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Managers Give “Go” to Proceed Toward Launch, Countdown Progressing
Artemis I managers convened Monday afternoon to review the status of countdown operations as well as two open technical items, and gave a “go” to proceed toward launch Wednesday, Nov 16. The two-hour window for launch opens at 1:04 a.m. EST.

Engineers examined detailed analysis of caulk on a seam between an ogive on Orion’s launch abort system and the crew module adapter and potential risks if it were to detach during launch. The mission management team determined there is a low likelihood that if additional material tears off it would pose a critical risk to the flight.
Technicians also completed replacing a component of an electrical connector on the hydrogen tail service mast umbilical. While swapping the component did not fully fix the issue, engineers have redundant sources of information supplied through the connector.
Sadly I will be out of town. Oh well, maybe I'll be in town for the next launch... whenever that might be :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oddly, even though we are only about fifteen hours before the planned Artemis I launch, our local news channels haven't said boo about expected crowds, traffic jams, etc. And the county emergency management's Facebook page has only posted about the restricted areas offshore as a reminder to boaters. For the last two (it was two, wasn't it?) launch attempts we had multiple stories and postings about traffic and crowds. Maybe the thought is that between the early morning launch time and the "once bitten, twice shy" attitude about going out to try once again to see a launch, it is anticipated that the number of visitors won't be much beyond normal.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, you won't get hordes of people for a 1 a.m. launch that will probably just be scrubbed.

I read an argument from an MIT rocket scientist who blamed Congress's mandate to use space shuttle technology for 46% of the STS's cost and performance difficulties. That's such a precise number that it must be true. :wink: Hydrogen is the tiniest atom there is; it's a bitch to handle and it's going to leak. The Saturn V used kerosene, which packs less energy but you can pump at the local Sunoco.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:52 am
I read an argument from an MIT rocket scientist who blamed Congress's mandate to use space shuttle technology for 46% of the STS's cost and performance difficulties. That's such a precise number that it must be true. :wink: Hydrogen is the tiniest atom there is; it's a bitch to handle and it's going to leak. The Saturn V used kerosene, which packs less energy but you can pump at the local Sunoco.
I know I heard that a lot over the years from engineering management. It doesn't save money when you are trying to use it and design around it. Congress trying to be engineers, they have a hard enough time being politicians...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Now up to 14 engines firing on SH tests....

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:52 am Yeah, you won't get hordes of people for a 1 a.m. launch that will probably just be scrubbed.

Saturn used hydrogen on the upper stages, kerosene on only the first stage. And it's not really kerosene, it's RP1, which is a very refined version of kerosene. The Falcon 9 uses RP1, but the big booster and Starship will use cryogenic methane.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Lassr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:59 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:52 am
I know I heard that a lot over the years from engineering management. It doesn't save money when you are trying to use it and design around it. Congress trying to be engineers, they have a hard enough time being politicians...
I wish it was about them trying to be engineers or trying to save money. At least that'd be an honest failure. It was neither of these things.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

#soitbegins

For our FlOOridians:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Starting to look like this thing may actually go tonight.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And me over on the west coast of Florida :?. The launch time is way past my bedtime :roll: but I might stay up till they scrub :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Be nice. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:44 pm Be nice. :P
I just think it was very rude on someone's part to try to launch while I was out of town :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I served on a few red teams in my time :dance:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA launch director Charlie Blackwell-Thompson has given a "go" for the red team to drive out to Launch Complex 39B to troubleshoot an issue with a leaky hydrogen replenishment valve on the SLS Mobile Launcher. Two technicians and a safety official will enter the pad in two vehicles and enter a compartment near the side of the the mobile launch platform to torque packing nuts on the replenishment valve area.

This is a "hazardous operation," says Derrol Nail, NASA's launch countdown commentator. The red team members are trained to work near the fully fueled rocket to resolve technical issues during the countdown.
What, no engineer? They are doomed to fail!! :doh:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

One of the techs is Bruce Willis. They'll be fine.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA says the red team at pad 39B is taking a little longer than expected to complete their troubleshooting, which involves torquing bolts around a leaky hydrogen replenishment valve on the mobile launch platform at the base of the Artemis 1 moon rocket.
We did that a couple of times on Shuttle. Must have the same leaky valves, which actually came from the Apollo program.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have to make the game/no game call within the next half-hour. If you're going to scrub, NASA, do it now.

(Actually, I just remembered that I have a phone and a laptop sitting three feet away, so I can do both!)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Now they are saying one of the down range radar sites is down due to failed network equipment. They are repairing at the moment.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:08 am Now they are saying one of the down range radar sites is down due to failed network equipment. They are repairing at the moment.
I did not have 'failed Ethernet switch' on my bingo card tonight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The live stream just talked through the switch replacement. They'll need to re-certify the system post-fix because it is critical to the mission.

Edit: Apparently the switch is replaced so they are running through the verification process.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Eh, delays. Tomorrow is my day to work onsite. If it goes, it will be a fun day, but damn will I be tired. 5 hours until my alarm goes off....
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA's Mission Management Team will be polled in a couple of minutes for their readiness to enter into the terminal countdown. The launch team believes they are just a few minutes from completing all of the countdown preparations. A target launch time between 1:45 a.m. and 2 a.m. EST remains possible.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They just restarted the clock - estimating around 1:47 EST liftoff.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

T-9 and counting
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And a successful launch, SRB burn and sep, full duration core stage burn and then sep. All good so far so I'm going back to sleep :shhh:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Aw crap, I shut down the NASA feed on my phone when I thought it was off for tonight. Oh well, godspeed to the mannequins of Artemis I.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I dozed off a little after 1 AM, woke up at 2 AM and checked the NASA Twitch channel to confirm that I missed the launch, then went back to sleep.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch