SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by jztemple2 »

That's good info there Isgrimnur, thanks for posting it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Always glad to help.

The question piqued my interest. My first response was that they had to have planned for that, and so I went looking for it to share.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:28 am Image

This is what the solar system looks like from the Parker Solar Probe, inside Mercury's orbit. There are some similar images from other vantage points here.

Science Alert
The footage is made up of individual images captured between August 8 and 12 this year, during the probe's ninth perihelion, or closest approach to the Sun.
These images were captured by the Parker probe's WISPR (Wide-field Imager for Solar Probe) instrument.

All of those streaks the probe is zooming through are coronal streamers – massive loops of electrically charged gas and plasma that connect two regions of opposite polarity on the Sun. They're extended out by the solar wind and they glow like this because they're filled with electrons.

These streamers, also known as helmet streamers, are usually only visible from Earth during an eclipse – but in the footage they're seen as the spacecraft flies above and below them inside the corona.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You can watch SpaceX launch NASA supplies to space station early Tuesday. Probably not, the weather looks iffy. And something different, a used Dragon Cargo but a new Falcon.
SpaceX will launch a Dragon spacecraft packed with NASA cargo to the International Space Station early Tuesday (Dec. 21) as part of its latest resupply mission for the U.S. space agency and you can watch it live.

A shiny new SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will take to the skies here from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center at 5:06 a.m. EST (1006 GMT). The two-stage launcher will blast off from Pad 39 lofting a robotic Dragon cargo capsule carrying more than 6,500 pounds (2,948 kilograms) of fresh supplies, experiment hardware, and other gear for the astronauts aboard the orbiting lab.
NASA's Artemis 1 moon mission slips to spring 2022 after engine issue
Rocket woes have again delayed NASA's return to the moon.

The agency is now targeting a launch in March or April 2022 for its Artemis 1 flight, an uncrewed mission around the moon and the first flight of its massive Space Launch System (SLS) rocket. NASA was previously targeting Feb. 12, 2022, for the flight, which is the first in the Artemis program that aims to return astronauts to the lunar surface later this decade. But hiccups in the mission's integrated testing program have forced another schedule delay.

"After performing a series of inspections and troubleshooting, engineers determined the best course of action is to replace the engine controller, returning the rocket to full functionality and redundancy while continuing to investigate and identify a root cause," NASA officials wrote in a statement published Friday (Dec. 17). "NASA is developing a plan and updated schedule to replace the engine controller while continuing integrated testing and reviewing launch opportunities in March and April."
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if you could use a much smaller around rocket yet much taller to launch small sats into orbit? Like a rocket 3 times taller than a Saturn V but less than half as big around using smaller engines. I guess it would come down to weight and engine power and fuel. Not to mention strength of the vehicle with the small size and weight at the top.

Was thinking of my old long thin model rockets.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Typically small sats are hitching rides in a launch vehicle intended for a primary launch satellite.

Long, tall designs have the additional concern of a buckling failure that’s not present in squattier designs.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In spite of iffy weather, we had a launch earlier this morning: SpaceX aces 100th rocket landing after Dragon cargo ship launch to space station
SpaceX launched its 31st rocket of the year early Tuesday (Dec. 21), sending a used Dragon cargo capsule toward the International Space Station before nailing the company's 100th landing.

A new two-stage Falcon 9 rocket blasted off from Launch Complex 39A here at NASA's Kennedy Space Center at 5:07 a.m. EST (1007 GMT), kicking off the company's 24th cargo resupply mission to the orbiting lab for NASA. The Dragon is packed with more than 6,500 pounds (2,949 kilograms) of supplies, scientific experiments, and hardware for the crew of Expedition 66 on the station.

About eight minutes after liftoff, the Falcon 9's first stage returned to Earth, landing on one of SpaceX's drone ships in the Atlantic Ocean in a smooth touchdown. The massive ship, called Just Read the Instructions, is one of SpaceX's three drone ships that are designed to serve as floating landing platforms and return them to port for later reuse.
SpaceX's Dragon CRS-24 cargo ship is seen as it separates from its Falcon 9 rocket upper stage after launching into orbit on Dec. 21, 2021 to deliver Christmas gifts and other NASA supplies to the International Space Station. It will arrive on Dec. 22, 2021. (Image credit: SpaceX)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image
wrapped like a butterfly in a chrysalis of technology, ambition, metal and wires
The NY Times published a very nice (and very well-written) overview of JWST's history and the science it's intended to explore.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

:D :D :D

Seasons Greetings from NASA:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How to watch NASA's James Webb Space Telescope launch online in several languages on Christmas Eve Christmas Day
NASA is counting down towards a Christmas Eve launch for its biggest space telescope ever and you can watch it all live online.

The James Webb Space Telescope is the successor to NASA and Europe's iconic Hubble Space Telescope. The next-generation capabilities of the upcoming observatory, paired with the laundry list of mission delays over the last several years, makes this a highly-anticipated event across the astronomical community. You can watch the entire mission on our live updates page here.
Already one change:
Arianespace has announced that due to upper-level winds, it will not attempt to launch the James Webb Space Telescope on Friday (Dec. 24). The next launch opportunity will be Saturday (Dec. 25) beginning at 7:20 a.m. EST (1220 GMT).
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:42 pm :D :D :D

Seasons Greetings from NASA:
I suspect a Kerbal Space Program parody is almost certain.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pmAlready one change:
Arianespace has announced that due to upper-level winds, it will not attempt to launch the James Webb Space Telescope on Friday (Dec. 24). The next launch opportunity will be Saturday (Dec. 25) beginning at 7:20 a.m. EST (1220 GMT).
Good thing they were smart enough not to put the launch date into their new video.

Conform or be cast out!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pm How to watch NASA's James Webb Space Telescope launch online in several languages on Christmas Eve Christmas Day
NASA is counting down towards a Christmas Eve launch for its biggest space telescope ever and you can watch it all live online.

The James Webb Space Telescope is the successor to NASA and Europe's iconic Hubble Space Telescope. The next-generation capabilities of the upcoming observatory, paired with the laundry list of mission delays over the last several years, makes this a highly-anticipated event across the astronomical community. You can watch the entire mission on our live updates page here.
Already one change:
Let me be the first to wish the JWST a happy new year's launch.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Has anyone checked it for Log4j?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From our local news outlet: Brevard County Commission’s resolution commends Blue Origin’s reconstruction of launch pad for New Glenn rocket
BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. — As Blue Origin prepares for its first orbital launch using the New Glenn rocket in the new year, the aerospace company owned by billionaire Jeff Bezos received some accolades from the Brevard County Commission.

On Tuesday, commissioners presented members of Blue Origin’s team with a resolution commending the work that the company has done to prepare Launch Complex 36 to launch New Glenn in 2022.

“Of all of the thousands of rockets that we’ve launched in this county since the early 50s, not one has ever been built here, and that’s going to change now,” Commissioner Curt Smith said.

Speaking before the commission, Scott Henderson, the vice president of test and flight operations and Florida site director for Blue Origin, noted that the company’s investment of more than $1.5 billion into the Florida economy is a key part of their goals.

“Our vision at Blue Origin is millions of people living and working in space for the benefit of the Earth,” he said. “It’s not something that’s going to happen in our lifetime — maybe in our kids’ lifetime, maybe in our grandkids’ lifetime, but I think it’s special that we’re going to be able to say that that road to space started here in Brevard County at mile marker zero right there at Complex 36.”

Henderson said that Blue Origin has hired more than 1,000 people in Florida and an average of 500 construction workers have been working at the LC36. A ribbon cutting was held at the site in October. Henderson received his bachelor’s degree in astronautical engineering from the U.S. Air Force Academy and his masters in engineering management from Florida Tech. He worked for SpaceX and for Raytheon Intelligence and Information Systems before starting at Blue Origin in March 2014. He was also the space launch commander for the 45th Launch Group in Cape Canaveral before he started working in the commercial sector.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pretty pic.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Size comparison of the Blue Glenn to other rockets.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Space.com has a comprehensive overview of the Webb mission. The second embedded video, detailing deployment, is worth your time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rollout to the pad for Webb is about to begin:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im nervous already.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Ariane 5 rocket is now on the pad

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope won't hit Santa during Christmas launch
NASA is launching a huge observatory into space early Christmas morning (Dec. 25), but you don't need to worry about it hitting Santa Claus.

While St. Nick is wrapping up his annual world tour, presumably somewhere in Alaska, Hawaii or the other Pacific islands in the westernmost time zones, an Ariane 5 rocket will be blasting off from South America with NASA's James Webb Space Telescope.

Santa is not expected to cross paths with the Ariane 5 rocket, which is scheduled to lift off during a 32-minute window that opens at 7:20 a.m. EST (1220 GMT) on Saturday. That's 9:20 a.m. local time at the launch site: the Guiana Space Center near Kourou, French Guiana.
Worryingly however, it has been discovered that the servers at the North Pole have been running Log4j. Some delay in gift delivery might be expected.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Here is a quick reminder of all the things that have to go correctly after launch and before science operations:

Conform or be cast out!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Let's do this!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Let's make some juice. SADA don't fail us now...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Dang, I did not expect to WATCH the solar array deployment. So cool!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:50 am Dang, I did not expect to WATCH the solar array deployment. So cool!
Ditto!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:59 am
The Meal wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:50 am Dang, I did not expect to WATCH the solar array deployment. So cool!
Ditto!
The commentators seemed just as surprised as I was.
Conform or be cast out!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I kept being distracted by noticing people with inadequate and/or poorly fitted masks. Thanks, COVID!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

How's progress going?

Things are good so far:
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Meal wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:27 pm How's progress going?

Things are good so far:
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html
Thanks for that link.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There's a Weird Cube on the Moon
China’s Yutu-2 rover recently sent home a photo of a mysterious cubic object on the lunar horizon, according to logs published by Our Space.
Enlarge Image