Innocent until proven guilty...well, show us!

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TiLT wrote:Your proof is in the link, smartass. :p

I stand by my posts in this thread. Regardless of whether Unbreakable was tony72 or not, a proper explanation of the banning was in order, both to him and to the rest of us.
I read the link and saw someone claiming to be Unbreakable on your IRC.

Unfortunately, that's just not enough proof for *me* - and as you know, what I wants, I gets.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smoove_B wrote:
TiLT wrote:Your proof is in the link, smartass. :p

I stand by my posts in this thread. Regardless of whether Unbreakable was tony72 or not, a proper explanation of the banning was in order, both to him and to the rest of us.
I read the link and saw someone claiming to be Unbreakable on your IRC.

Unfortunately, that's just not enough proof for *me* - and as you know, what I wants, I gets.
Silly girl! IRC has a nice command called /whois. With it, you can see someone's IP. With someone's IP, you can see where they are connecting from. It's not in the log, since I don't want to go spreading someone's IP all over the net. (actually, I do. However, I forgot to include it in the log, and I don't think I have it any more. Sucks)
Insert witty comment here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So you have someone's IP.

Big deal.

That wasn't good enough when this thread started - it's not good enough now.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's good enough when combined with Unbreakable admitting that he's Tony72, as he did in IRC. That's what he was apologizing about in that thread.

Also, Gone Gold (the forums) took pride in having good, fair moderation. #gonegold has no such thing. My policy is pretty much: "Welcome onboard, have fun, chat as much as you like, and if we don't like you, we'll kick you to the curb while laughing at you.". The difference is that we don't pretend to have good moderation. We're all jackasses there (except Napoleon. He's too femine to be a jackass).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, you have someone CLAIMING to be Unbreakable that's CLAIMING he was also Tony72.

Sounds like a set up to me.

And all wrapped up and posted for everyone to see. How *convenient* that you "lost" the identifying IP numbers.

Roswell! Roswell!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's a weather balloon, I swear!
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Sounds like a clear case of TiLTism to me.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Mr. Fed wrote:Sounds like a clear case of TiLTism to me.
It's foreign and homoerotic?

Duh.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
gellar

Post by gellar »

Rip wrote:
TiLT wrote:In other news, Unbreakable has been banned on the IRC channel too. The glorious circumstances can be found here.

Yes, I'm a bastard.
Wow, and after you guys give us a ration about not treating people with respect when we ban them. Man you guys are vicious! I'm very happy the private mod discussions here are conducted professionally.

I would be very embarassed to have someone see a conversation that I was involved to be conducted at such a juvenile level.

Note to self...stay off IRC unless you are investigating somebody :shock:
The whole point of #gg is juvenile. We don't pretend to take things seriously there. That's what this place is for ;)

If you can't step back and act juvenile, it's certainly best for you to stay away.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
gellar

Post by gellar »

TiLT wrote:You need to read this thread more closely. EVERYONE gets made fun of at #gonegold. Notice how I kicked Orpheo during that short log, for example. I've kicked two other people today too, and they love it. Or so they tell me when they worship at my feet.
Not true sir. I didn't even know I was kicked, and when I found out, I swore that I would kill you.

gellar
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

You need to read this thread more closely. EVERYONE gets made fun of at #gonegold.
:In Captain Murphy's voice from Sealab:

"I can vouch for that!"
Rip

Post by Rip »

TiLT wrote:You need to read this thread more closely. EVERYONE gets made fun of at #gonegold. Notice how I kicked Orpheo during that short log, for example. I've kicked two other people today too, and they love it. Or so they tell me when they worship at my feet.

It's all about being upfront. You guys told Unbreakable that "You're not welcome, for reasons you already know. Shoo!", while we said "You're not welcome. Here are the reasons (not necessarily apparent in the log, I might add. The reasons built up over several days). You've got a chance to explain yourself, otherwise you can piss off."

Personally, I like the second version.
Oh don't get me wrong. I understand. I get around the net quite a bit. Just never had a taste for it. That kind of stuff is linked directly to script kiddy kind of stuff in the professional world. Me being out here as the real me, would make that a very risky place to hang given the business I'm in.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
CSL

Post by CSL »

Rip wrote:

It's all about being upfront. You guys told Unbreakable that "You're not welcome, for reasons you already know. Shoo!", while we said "You're not welcome. Here are the reasons (not necessarily apparent in the log, I might add. The reasons built up over several days). You've got a chance to explain yourself, otherwise you can piss off."

Oh don't get me wrong. I understand. I get around the net quite a bit. Just never had a taste for it. That kind of stuff is linked directly to script kiddy kind of stuff in the professional world. Me being out here as the real me, would make that a very risky place to hang given the business I'm in.
I'm sorry did I hear something braying and whining?

"Edited to remove excessive profanity"
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Wow... more drama? This could make our first 10-page thread.

I'm not sure why, though - is there really anything that needs saying left at this point?

- Ash
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I don't know. The guy who's paying for and kindly donating this forum space just got told to "Shut the fuck up," (by someone who's been warned against doing that in the past and even temp banned if I recall correctly). I'm guessing there may be a little bit left to be said...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just make sure if you ban him, you offer a forum poll on it first.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I don't know how to love this.
What to do, how to move this.
I've been changed, yes really changed.
In these past few days, when I've seen on the boards,
It seems like something else.

I don't know how to take this.
I don't see why this moves me.
It's just a board. An internet board.
And I've been on many boards before,
In very many ways,
It's just one more.

Should I bring it down?
Should I scream and shout?
Should I speak of love,
Let my feelings out?
Oh I never thought I'd come to this.
What's it all about?

Don't you think it's rather funny
I should be in this position?
I'm the one
Who's always been
So calm so cool
Never USENET's fool
Running every show
It scares me so

I never thought I'd come to this
What's it all about?

Yet, if OO said it loved me
I'd be lost; I'd be frightened
I couldn't cope
Just couldn't cope
I'd turn my head
I'd back away
I wouldn't want to know
It scares me so
I want it so
I love it so...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

I just read this entire fricking thread.

[19:48] <TiLT> <TiLT> look, you'll just be back sooner or later with another nick and another IP anyway. Let's talk about it again when I reban you at that time
This is the funniest thing I've read in some time.

2. There are some really naive/immature people posting here, but it's kind of cute.

3. This thread would make a lot more sense if people were getting banned willy-nilly.

4. CSL has some sort of compulsion with the STFU pictures. When he ends up banned because of it, he will have only himself to blame.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

The Meal wrote:I'm guessing there may be a little bit left to be said...
Well darn. Do you think we could at least get the general populace to revert to somber, paragraphic discussion mode?

That way you and I can have more fun. ;)

- Ash
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

CSL wrote:
Rip wrote:

Removed totally classless picture directed at the person who is DONATING this server space
See! This is the kind of bullshit that gives #gg a bad reputation. You talk about being discriminated against and then you go and post this crap.

Unbelievable... :roll:
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Rip

Post by Rip »

The Meal wrote:I don't know. The guy who's paying for and kindly donating this forum space just got told to "Shut the fuck up," (by someone who's been warned against doing that in the past and even temp banned if I recall correctly). I'm guessing there may be a little bit left to be said...

~Neal
That's about the response I expected. Children do that when you nail them on the head with the truth. As long as it doesn't get to the point of being offensive to others to see I'm not worried about it.

Although you could make it a little smaller as some people might read this area with children in the neighborhood. Which of course caused the moderator to have to edit you post.
— Benjamin Rush
--
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Edit: Nevermind.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

godhugh wrote:See! This is the kind of bullshit that gives #gg a bad reputation. You talk about being discriminated against and then you go and post this crap.

Now hold on a second... why is CSL now the representative of everyone who hangs out in #gg?

The day I let CSL speak for me is the day I throw myself down the well.

This gives ONE person a bad reputation - CSL.

Stop scapegoating 40 people over the actions of a few that you don't agree with.
wire

Post by wire »

After reading this whole trainwreck of a thread I have to believe that the forum overseers need one spokesperson to speak for them. Too many times one mod condradicts what another says or has to completely backtrack because they misspoke. Not a way to run a tight ship. Makes you all look bad.

As for #gg...if someone who happens to frequent there comes in here and does something bannable...just frickin ban them. There's no reason to post things like
That's about the response I expected. Children do that when you nail them on the head with the truth.
See! This is the kind of bullshit that gives #gg a bad reputation. You talk about being discriminated against and then you go and post this crap.
You wouldn't do a running commentary on a non-#gg person and to me it shows a lack of maturity on your part. You as owners/moderators should be above pettiness.

I was in the military for number of years and learned early on that as a rank and file soldier you could be childish and petty amongst other rank and file soldiers but once you were promoted into a leadership position that behavior wasn't tolerated. You had to stop being friends and learn to be a leader and set the example and hope to earn the respect needed to be a good leader. Granted this isn't the military but I believe it's an example that can be used in regular day to day life. If you didn't have it before volunteering then it's even more difficult to earn their respect...a flashy color on your name doesn't do that.

Yeah I know...who am I to say anything right?
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

godhugh wrote:
CSL wrote:
Rip wrote:

Removed totally classless picture directed at the person who is DONATING this server space

I was robbed by a one arm man once.. I keep telling everyone that every single amputee in the world is a filthy thief, but they just won't believe me.. I wonder why?
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Neal, why do you have a picture of Eddy X as your avatar?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

No need for close reading.
We all know #gg is for idiots and 1 genius. Me.
And we don't need any of you "normal" folk kickin' up dust in there, ya he-ar?
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
WPD

Post by WPD »

Kratz wrote:
Now hold on a second... why is CSL now the representative of everyone who hangs out in #gg?

The day I let CSL speak for me is the day I throw myself down the well.

This gives ONE person a bad reputation - CSL.

Stop scapegoating 40 people over the actions of a few that you don't agree with.
If I can't stereotype anymore what the hell is the point of living??? :shock:
Rip

Post by Rip »

wire wrote:After reading this whole trainwreck of a thread I have to believe that the forum overseers need one spokesperson to speak for them. Too many times one mod condradicts what another says or has to completely backtrack because they misspoke. Not a way to run a tight ship. Makes you all look bad.

As for #gg...if someone who happens to frequent there comes in here and does something bannable...just frickin ban them. There's no reason to post things like
That's about the response I expected. Children do that when you nail them on the head with the truth.
I'm an admin not a mod. I don't ban people or make content decisions. I keep the network and the machine operating and secure. When I speak on such things I speak solely for myself. I also stand by everything I've said. You have to recall that quote was out of context in that it was in response to being told to STFU.
You wouldn't do a running commentary on a non-#gg person and to me it shows a lack of maturity on your part. You as owners/moderators should be above pettiness.

Since that was the first of #gg I've seen (that distasteful link) I would say that it is hopefully the conduct of only a few, as I know several people who visit there that I hope would not have participated in what I read. I guess I'm just an ultra-conservative right winger. By the time I finished reading it I almost wanted to help the guy get a new identity and hide it the right way. Well not really but you get my point, hopefully.
If a person posts a message or a link here then you should expect to have it examined and criticized. Otherwise leave it on IRC or wherever it comes from.
I was in the military for number of years and learned early on that as a rank and file soldier you could be childish and petty amongst other rank and file soldiers but once you were promoted into a leadership position that behavior wasn't tolerated. You had to stop being friends and learn to be a leader and set the example and hope to earn the respect needed to be a good leader. Granted this isn't the military but I believe it's an example that can be used in regular day to day life. If you didn't have it before volunteering then it's even more difficult to earn their respect...a flashy color on your name doesn't do that.
So was I and I agree, this site is a representation of my business since it is hosted there. I doubt you would find to many people who have seen me act anything but professionally here or anywhere else.

Yeah I know...who am I to say anything right?
Your a community member, like everyone else here, and I appreciate your opinion, we don't censor around here except when it leaves the realm of good taste. (I know the CoC is coming) All I ask is at least argue with a little thought the way you have. A rude picture will foul language does not sway people to your point of view.
— Benjamin Rush
--
wire

Post by wire »

Your a community member, like everyone else here, and I appreciate your opinion, we don't censor around here except when it leaves the realm of good taste. (I know the CoC is coming) All I ask is at least argue with a little thought the way you have. A rude picture will foul language does not sway people to your point of view.
Well thankfully even when I was 13 I didn't find using rude pictures and foul language as good methods for getting my point across so at 37 I don't see a reason to start. :)

I think my only gripe in the 4+ years of coming to GG and now here is when a mod steps into a thread and says something objectionable and when called on it pulls out the "I wasn't wearing my mod hat when I said that" card. Either you're a mod or not...can't play the game both ways. Unless you want to post hours of moderation and have designated times they can say things a little questionable and be called on it without consequence.

Unless there is consistancy then you really can't expect to earn the respect I'm assuming a moderator is looking for to be effective.
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Rip wrote:

Yeah, which reminds me, great way to deal with that DDoS attack yesterday ;)

CSL, stop talking. Thank you!
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Samurai wrote:
You need to read this thread more closely. EVERYONE gets made fun of at #gonegold.
:In Captain Murphy's voice from Sealab:

"I can vouch for that!"
Wow, look at that guy getting BLOWN away in Samurai's avatar!
Odin

Post by Odin »

godhugh wrote: See! This is the kind of bullshit that gives #gg a bad reputation. You talk about being discriminated against and then you go and post this crap.

Yeah, godhugh, it is unbelievable. Unbelievable that a mod from this forum would post such a condescending and inflammatory rebuke against dozens of people because one person posted a statement he objected to.

Evidently slambie's anti-#gg bigotry is more widespread than I realized. Makes me want to spend more time there than here, if this is to be the prevailing attitude.

Sith
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Eduardo X wrote:Neal, why do you have a picture of Eddy X as your avatar?
Because Andy hasn't changed it in the last 12 hours or so?

wire, I'd tend to agree with a bunch of what you said there. This thread has shown the need for a more consistent message from the staff. As I've said a few times, the initial reluctance to release information related to tony's most recent banning was a (personal) hesitance with regard to how much information was appropriate to release. I felt as it it'd be better if staff, as a group, decided what to release. I also stuck my foot in my mouth with regard to just what information we had that was available when we had banned tony. I (rightly) got called out for that by fellow staff members who thought it made us look like a bunch of keystone cops.

Having a consistent PR message released from staff isn't going to do *anything* for folks who want more transparency in moderation activities around here, but it'd do a lot for some of the back-and-forth snipeyness that folks fall into, and it'd also have the effect of ensuring staff conveyed a consistent message. I'd be 100% for it in most circumstances.

Unfortunately, there is one bit of uniqueness regarding the makeup of staff. We don't work together. We don't all live in the same timezone, country, or hemisphere. We are under no obligation to "cover the same hours" or all be working in-step at the same time. If we're to operate only through one unified voice, responses from staff would likely have to be delayed by 24+ hours before the forum would hear an official peep from us.

Most of us were originally brought onto staff because we showed maturity and rational behavior. Our current system is far from perfect (as my own behavior shows, *very* far from perfect), but it does work. Some staff members are paragons of upstanding behavior. Quick, someone point out poor behavior by ImLawBoy, setaside, or Blackhawk (amongst others). Others of us have a difficult time knowing when to keep our big traps shut (cue neon arrow pointing to myself). But when we "work" in an enviornment where response time can be critical and where we're not afforded the luxury of waiting until emotions cool down before we need to jump in and make our responses known, there definitely will be times when we end up stumbling about a bit.

We're humans with human foibles (excepting Peacedog, who's extra appendages have elevated him closer to being the perfect being). We're gonna stick our foots in it every now and then. Hopefully never so bad that we can't pick up the pieces, reevaluate where we screwed up, and move forward.

Anyway, thanks for the note.

~Neal
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Sith Lord wrote:
godhugh wrote: See! This is the kind of bullshit that gives #gg a bad reputation. You talk about being discriminated against and then you go and post this crap.

Yeah, godhugh, it is unbelievable. Unbelievable that a mod from this forum would post such a condescending and inflammatory rebuke against dozens of people because one person posted a statement he objected to.

Evidently slambie's anti-#gg bigotry is more widespread than I realized. Makes me want to spend more time there than here, if this is to be the prevailing attitude.

Sith
How was what I posted condescending and inflammatory?

Let's break it down Mr. Fed style....
See! This is the kind of bullshit
What he posted was bullshit, so that part's true.
that gives #gg a bad reputation.
This could be debated, but I think this thread has shown the #gg has a bad reputation among some members of the forum. So, I stand by it.
You talk about being discriminated against
It's obvious you think #gg is discriminated against, so this part is true.
and then you go and post this crap.
Again, that post was crap, so I stand by this.

So, what was condescending and inflammatory?

Fact of the matter is, CSL is one of the more vocal members of #gg and quite a few people associate him with IRC. When he posts something like that, it reflects badly on the channel as a whole. Unfair or no, that's the way it is.

If you want to dispel "anti-#gg bigotry", then you might want to work on keeping your most vocal members from posting that kind of stuff.

If you don't, then that's 100% okay. It's your choice. Just don't expect the nasty comments and discrimination from other forum members to stop.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
slambie

Post by slambie »

If you can't step back and act juvenile, it's certainly best for you to stay away.
This is so much fun!

And I look so cool with my thumb and my foot in my mouth and this big fancy asshat on my head. Everyone loves it! They fall to their knees and worship me.

I'm going to retreat to a corner with my friends and giggle over it all afternoon.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Odin

Post by Odin »

godhugh wrote: If you want to dispel "anti-#gg bigotry", then you might want to work on keeping your most vocal members from posting that kind of stuff.
:roll: Ok, yeah. I'll break his legs the next time I see him.

You know, at first I thought CSL's post was asinine. But the more I see of a mod on this forum defending this anti-#gg attitude based on the actions of a small number of the people who visit there, the more I think his (now edited) post had some real merit.

I never considered myself to be in either "camp." I post on the forums and I occasionally visit the IRC channel. What people like you and slambie don't seem to get is that everytime you take a slap at the whole of #gg (instead of singling out one or more individuals that you actually have issues with) it's a slap in the face to EVERYONE who visits there - people like me and MHS and DarkFyre and Brinstil and dozens of others who, to the best of my knowledge, don't in any way deserve it. Now those people I name may not choose to be offended by it (and I don't mean to speak on their behalf. Nor am I implying that some DO deserve it, though that may well be the case) but it really pisses me off. If you can't understand that your attitude is condescending and inflammatory, then you just don't get it(tm).

Sith
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

slambie wrote:And I look so cool with ... this big fancy asshat on my head.
I, for one, am never eating another Hersey's Kiss again. (Okay, well at least not until our daughter comes back with her Halloween loot.)

~Neal