The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: The Art of the Donald Trump Sideshow

Post by noxiousdog »

GreenGoo wrote:That's the problem with our country.
We'll take you as an honorary member.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought he meant teenage girls reading tweets in Canada.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Does Donald Trump know the difference between Supreme Court justices and the Department of Justice?
Politico wrote:Donald Trump on Wednesday fired back at Hillary Clinton, remarking that he would likely nominate Supreme Court justices who “would look very seriously at her email disaster.”
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AWS260 wrote:Does Donald Trump know the difference between Supreme Court justices and the Department of Justice?
Politico wrote:Donald Trump on Wednesday fired back at Hillary Clinton, remarking that he would likely nominate Supreme Court justices who “would look very seriously at her email disaster.”
Are you serious? The person that says he's "good at the military"(and China IIRC)? Obviously a moron. Yes, he's wealthy, and business savvy, but like his female counterpart in the recent decade of US political buffoonery, he's not exactly an intellectual. He speaks in vague generalities because he has no deep knowledge about the things he's being asked about.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote:and business savvy
This has been thoroughly discredited. He's worth less than half the billions he would have if he just sat on his pile of money and did nothing. The only thing he is good as it turning a massive fortune into merely a huge one.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jeff V wrote:The only thing he is good as it turning a massive fortune into merely a huge one.
It's HUGE! Wait, are we talking about his penis or his bank account?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

BOTH! Also, Trump steaks are the most flavorful, delicious steaks in the world!
He won. Period.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Skinypupy wrote:
Fitzy wrote:Someone needs to get some five year olds and have them read things Trump said.

I susp cut it would sound normal.

Not fair!
Teenage mean girls reading Trump tweets works just about as well.
Nice.

I want a contest called Who said it: Trump or a Child.

Preferably read by Samuel L Jackson
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:and business savvy
This has been thoroughly discredited. He's worth less than half the billions he would have if he just sat on his pile of money and did nothing. The only thing he is good as it turning a massive fortune into merely a huge one.
I would love to see some backup on that...not that I don't doubt it, but I've seen it mentioned enough times anecdotally that I wonder if there is some actual proof there.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Jeff V wrote:He's worth less than half the billions he would have if he just sat on his pile of money and did nothing. The only thing he is good as it turning a massive fortune into merely a huge one.
I would love to see some backup on that...not that I don't doubt it, but I've seen it mentioned enough times anecdotally that I wonder if there is some actual proof there.
Here you go.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There are several calculations. It's well publicized that Trump has often lost money in his real estate ventures. Several other of his business brands are "successful" only by selling to other Trump ventures.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Donald Trump believes that there should be punishment for women who undergo abortions if the procedure was outlawed, but indicated he has yet to determine what that punishment should be.

In an exclusive interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews, the GOP front-runner described himself multiple times as "pro-life" but struggled to define what the legal ramifications of that position should be. When continually pressed for what the answer is regarding punishing women who would break any theoretical ban, Trump said the "answer is that there has to be some form of punishment, yeah."

When asked what kind of punishment he had in mind, Trump lacked specifics and said he has "not determined what the punishment would be." Trump noted that he does "take positions on everything else but this is a very complicated position."
The MSNBC host followed up wondering if a man should bear responsibility for abortions as well, to which Trump said "no" he didn't think so.
Should the United States change the law of the land on abortion as set by the landmark SCOTUS ruling Roe vs Wade Trump says "you'll go back to a position like they had where people will, perhaps, go to illegal places." Still, he maintains "you have to ban it."

Ohio Republican John Kasich, who participated in an MSNBC town hall moderated by NBC's Chuck Todd earlier in the day, was asked if he agreed with Trump on the prospect of punishing women for abortion. "Absolutely not," Kasich responded. "I do have exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother but of course women shouldn't be punished," he added.
The GOP front-runner says "nobody respects women" more than he does. That respect, however, doesn't necessarily translate to Fields. "I would say I don't have great respect for her," Trump told Matthews. He also dodged when asked why he didn't have sympathy for Fields, instead pointing out that the tape being used by the police investigation was his tape and saying that there are more pressing issues at play, like ISIS and foreign threats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote:I thought he meant teenage girls reading tweets in Canada.
I should have put it in quotes. I was repeating Trump's response to Cooper calling Trump's "He did it first" defense something a 5 year old would say.

Trump: He did it first.

Cooper: That's something a 5 year old would say.

Trump: That's the problem with our country.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
AWS260 wrote:Does Donald Trump know the difference between Supreme Court justices and the Department of Justice?
Are you serious? The person that says he's "good at the military"(and China IIRC)? Obviously a moron. Yes, he's wealthy, and business savvy, but like his female counterpart in the recent decade of US political buffoonery, he's not exactly an intellectual. He speaks in vague generalities because he has no deep knowledge about the things he's being asked about.
He's business savvy in the same way Tony Soprano was business savvy. He's a goon, who thinks like a goon and hires goons to surround himself.

Not being an intellectual is a positive, or so I hear (lousy ivory tower intellectuals got us in this mess, apparently), but this guy isn't even smart enough to hire people who actually know things, to advise him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Trump is, by far, the GOP delegate leader — and the only candidate with a realistic shot at winning a majority of delegates before the July convention. But at the same time, nearly two-thirds of Americans view Trump unfavorably — and his image rating has declined since Republican voting began in February.

The danger for Trump is two-fold: His declining popularity is taking a toll on his standing in the 17 states that will hold primaries between now and the end of the process in early June. Losing some of these states — or even winning fewer delegates in proportional states — makes it more difficult for Trump to secure a pre-convention majority of 1,237 delegates.

That’s where Trump’s horrific poll numbers could haunt him again: If Trump misses the threshold to win the nomination outright in bound delegates, it will be more difficult to persuade unbound delegates to put him over the top if they see him as a general election disaster-in-the-making due to his high unfavorability ratings among all voters.

How bad are Trump’s image ratings? The HuffPost Pollster average of recent national polls puts Trump’s favorability at only 31 percent, while 63 percent view him unfavorably.
Trump is hardly alone: Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz are also viewed unfavorably by majorities of Americans, according to polling averages. Only John Kasich and Bernie Sanders — neither of whom has faced many negative attacks from either party — have positive image ratings.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

D.A.Lewis wrote:
LordMortis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFnggBHFUo

This nails it all... And it's from the establishment. :oops:

I also like the term "feckless democrats" Feckless needs to find its way into my lexicon.
That was great Thanks
I see colonel Wilkerson on TV occasionally and he has always impressed

He raised the possibility that Israel was been behind the chemical gas attack of civilians in Syria, so I've got to go Image
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Defiant wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:

I also like the term "feckless democrats" Feckless needs to find its way into my lexicon.
That was great Thanks

He raised the possibility that Israel was been behind the chemical gas attack of civilians in Syria, so I've got to go Image

ummm, here is the complete quote:

"I think the President’s statement was very circumspect, very prudent," Wilkerson says. "We don’t know what the chain of custody is. This could’ve been an Israeli false flag operation, it could’ve been an opposition in Syria… or it could’ve been an actual use by [Syrian President] Bashar al-Assad, but we certainly don’t know with the evidence we’ve been given. And what I’m hearing from the intelligence community is that that evidence is really flakey."
AKA: Dajjer
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

D.A.Lewis wrote:
Defiant wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:

That was great Thanks

ummm, here is the complete quote:

"I think the President’s statement was very circumspect, very prudent," Wilkerson says. "We don’t know what the chain of custody is. This could’ve been an Israeli false flag operation, it could’ve been an opposition in Syria… or it could’ve been an actual use by [Syrian President] Bashar al-Assad, but we certainly don’t know with the evidence we’ve been given. And what I’m hearing from the intelligence community is that that evidence is really flakey."
sounds to me like he is making the case that the evidence is flimsy
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

D.A.Lewis wrote:

By making a random accusation against an ally for which there isn't just flimsy evidence but no evidence or motivation? It's like saying that "We found Mr Body dead in the Billiards room. We don't have enough evidence yet to be sure who did it. Maybe it was Colonel Mustard? Or maybe it was Miss White? Or maybe Mr Body committed suicide by shooting himself twelve times in the head while his hands were tied behind his back?"

It's the shit you'll find on conspiracy websites and Hezbollah affiliated newspapers.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Defiant wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:

By making a random accusation against an ally for which there isn't just flimsy evidence but no evidence or motivation? It's like saying that "We found Mr Body dead in the Billiards room. We don't have enough evidence yet to be sure who did it. Maybe it was Colonel Mustard? Or maybe it was Miss White? Or maybe Mr Body committed suicide by shooting himself twelve times in the head while his hands were tied behind his back?"

It's the shit you'll find on conspiracy websites and Hezbollah affiliated newspapers.
You look at it as an accusation, I see it as making crazy samplings, putting no credence in any of the extremes. BTW, I have no problem with your example and the extreme nature of the suicide would be to me a statement that says, "I got nothing." BTW2, I've heard Wilkerson enough times to believe the guy is no conspiracy nut loon.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

D.A.Lewis wrote:
Defiant wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:

You look at it as an accusation, I see it as making crazy samplings, putting no credence in any of the extremes. BTW, I have no problem with your example and the extreme nature of the suicide would be to me a statement that says, "I got nothing." BTW2, I've heard Wilkerson enough times to believe the guy is no conspiracy nut loon.
ehhhh, that's an awfully specific way to phrase "the evidence is flimsy." It's like examining a random murder scene and saying "there's not much in the way of evidence here - we can't even rule out that President Obama ordered the assassination of the murder victim!"
Black Lives Matter.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I see it as making a joke, trying to be funny
I personally like that kind of random humor -
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

D.A.Lewis wrote:I see it as making a joke, trying to be funny
Ha ha! He should do stand up.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

GreenGoo wrote:
D.A.Lewis wrote:I see it as making a joke, trying to be funny
Ha ha! He should do stand up.
you are on in 10 . . .

tgb

Post by tgb »

It occurs to me that at this point Trump is taking a dive. People close to him have said that he really doesn't want the job - he just wants to be able to say that he could be president if he wanted to. Unfortunately the train is barreling down the tracks, and he can't find a way to apply the brakes.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

He's not acting like he's taking a dive, is he?

If you or I had been a media celebrity in a position to mount an all-too-successful protest campaign, we would now be tortured by midnight thoughts of the future and would be looking for a way to extricate ourselves. I think Trump's ego suppressed that little voice long ago. We're seeing him pass from "Hey, what if I ran for President?" to "Hey, what if I reshaped this whole country in my own image??"

Next up is "Hey, what if I nuked Mexico???"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:He's not acting like he's taking a dive, is he?
Its hard to say. He's frequently done things that have been political suicide for other politicians.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think a Trump looking to make an exit would be more conciliatory towards the people he expected to succeed him. He would be smoothing a path towards lucrative relationships with the Establishment and setting up for his next role as a Grand Statesman of American Business, Tuesdays on Fox.

The Trump that is incapable of such conciliation is the Trump that's incapable of not wanting to have it all, White House included.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

If it was revealed tomorrow that this whole thing was a long con engineered by the Clintons to a)guarantee a Hillary victory and b)decimate the GOP, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. They're certainly capable of it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:I think a Trump looking to make an exit would be more conciliatory towards the people he expected to succeed him. He would be smoothing a path towards lucrative relationships with the Establishment and setting up for his next role as a Grand Statesman of American Business, Tuesdays on Fox.

The Trump that is incapable of such conciliation is the Trump that's incapable of not wanting to have it all, White House included.
Besides, if he wants to say that he *could* have been President (but not actually be president), then he needs to quit while he's ahead. If he keeps going he either loses (in which case he can't really say that he could have been president) or he wins (and then becomes President).

Now would be the time for him to make up a reason to exit the race (too hard on the family, etc. etc.).
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I enjoy articles that point out and discuss his foibles, often as if it's a new revelation, like this abortion thing.

The guy is a complete facade. I've known this for decades, so it's frustrating that he has made it this far, and frustrating when people raise their eyebrows like he surprised them with his ignorance.

I'm not a fan of arrogant people to begin with, but as long as our worlds didn't intersect then *shrug*. This guy is just a few steps away from becoming the President of the US of A. That's...insane. I don't care how fed up you are with the "establishment". Putting this guy in a position where he can actually influence the process, let alone dominate it, is irresponsible and negligent.

Fuck, I hate this guy.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote:
Besides, if he wants to say that he *could* have been President (but not actually be president), then he needs to quit while he's ahead. If he keeps going he either loses (in which case he can't really say that he could have been president) or he wins (and then becomes President).

Now would be the time for him to make up a reason to exit the race (too hard on the family, etc. etc.).
Oh no, see, this doesn't take into account Trumpthink. See, I suspect that his ideal situation is that he wins the nomination, but then loses the general. Then, he can tell everyone that he SHOULD have been president, but the UNFAIR process ROBBED him of the chance. He would obviously be the wronged one here, since he's the best candidate and not a loser, he's got the best polls that say so. So, you see, he totally should have won, but was cheated out of it.

This way, he's still a winner, while not having to actually be the President.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Chaz wrote:Oh no, see, this doesn't take into account Trumpthink. See, I suspect that his ideal situation is that he wins the nomination, but then loses the general. Then, he can tell everyone that he SHOULD have been president, but the UNFAIR process ROBBED him of the chance. He would obviously be the wronged one here, since he's the best candidate and not a loser, he's got the best polls that say so. So, you see, he totally should have won, but was cheated out of it.

This way, he's still a winner, while not having to actually be the President.
He can spin it however he wants, I don't care, just so long as that very last part is true.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Defiant wrote:
Its hard to say. He's frequently done things that have been political suicide for other politicians.
Maybe he needs to further test the limits and just murder someone.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tgb wrote:People close to him have said that he really doesn't want the job
Links?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote:
tgb wrote:People close to him have said that he really doesn't want the job
Links?
link
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote:
Defiant wrote:
Maybe he needs to further test the limits and just murder someone.
Won't work
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:
hepcat wrote:I sometimes find myself almost hoping Trump wins. It would be a complete clusterf*%+* but I think we have enough failsafes in place to prevent him from doing anything too harmful.
I dunno...there's a nonzero chance that he'd be the last president. Democracy's looking increasingly wobbly already. Although a part of me thinks it would make for a fascinating endgame, I was kinda hoping to enjoy a few years of retirement before it all goes to hell. I'm too old to enjoy the apocalypse now.

But you're right, history is replete with stories of mad kings and emperors whose states somehow muddled through.
Since guns are needed to foment a coup, is there anyone in a military capacity you could see taking such measures to assert control when things go to hell? Or will it be a civilian effort bankrolled by the NRA?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The events of the past few days have persuaded me that Trump can't keep the con going through November. He's already exhausted his best material. The outrages that he needs to keep generating are getting more and more outrageous, to the point where only his most rabid followers can tolerate them. I just hope he gets the nomination before it all falls apart on him.