General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Firefox
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > scroll down to Cookies and Site Data > click on Manage Data and look for the specific site's cookie to remove.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

thnx you two
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am getting all these weird IT support cases, LOL.

Today some old lady brought me an iPad Mini, pristine condition, in case and all that. But Youtube won't run. So I go into app store and tried to update. Wait, why does the UI look so different? Settings look different? Then I looked up the model number. This was the OG Ipad Mini that came out more than 10 years ago. It won't update to the latest iOS (last iOS it got was 9.x) , and thus, modern apps won't run on it. Too bad!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have come to despise Linux. Know why?

Because you can't ask a Windows question without some jackass popping in to tell you why you should just switch to Linux.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you meet a vegan Crossfit Linux user, which one do they tell you about first?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Vegan. That's a religion, the other two are lifestyles. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:21 pm If you meet a vegan Crossfit Linux user, which one do they tell you about first?
Their Tesla.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:24 pm Vegan. That's a religion, the other two are lifestyles. :D
Well, they could be visitors from a planet of the star system Vega too! See UFO threads ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:25 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:21 pm If you meet a vegan Crossfit Linux user, which one do they tell you about first?
Their Tesla.
Okay. That got a chuckle. Was not expecting. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Raspberry Pi 5 specs:

https://picockpit.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... erry-pi-5/

everything i wanted upgraded, got upgraded! to reasonable levels, even! will miss the audio jack, but that's it.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:16 pm Raspberry Pi 5 specs:

https://picockpit.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... erry-pi-5/

everything i wanted upgraded, got upgraded! to reasonable levels, even! will miss the audio jack, but that's it.
And here I was excited because I FINALLY scored on a Pi 4. I should have waited...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Don't see a place to put this...

For funsies, went to the SingleStore AI conference at the Chase Center today. Found a discount link so the tickets are only $5 each person (instead of $200). Only stayed about half a day, but what we heard was pretty impressive.

Basically, SingleStore allows almost anyone to ingest large amounts of data (and with some help, even unstructured data) at almost real-time, vectorize them into contextual data, and thus, start querying them using large language models (i.e. ChatGPT and so on).

One of the demos they have has voice query system for stock filtering. You can ask stuff completely free form, like "when did Amazon stock price peak in the last 90 days?" and it'll give you the ticker, the exact time, and the price. Then you can ask "what bullish news cause the stock price peak?" and it'll narrow down the news item for you.

Another demo they had imported the entire articles of NBA (as PDF documents), and asked a question, "How many games must a player play to qualify for MVP?" and the AI was smart enough to even point out the exact citings used to reach that answer.

There would have been some visual recognition AI for the afternoon, I think, among other things.

Extremely impressive technology, if it can be done at near real-time.

-----

I invited a friend along. He got a free lapboard so he definitely got his money's worth (technically he also grab an Apple power adapter someone left on the outlet, hahaha!) I drank like 2 juices and 1 of those "tall/thin" can of soda, so I think I got my money's worth too. LOL.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Check out this new Y70 case from Hyte. It has a touch screen panel built in. And its more than just a gimmick. Man I want that when I get to build my new system one day.

In case you're wondering....$360. The screen is recognized as a 2nd monitor. Pretty pixel dense too.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

so there is literally no way to disable 2FA on your Apple ID?

the Apple support rep. bailed on the chat immediately after breaking the news to me:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I love how support always phrases things so that they sound like they're doing you a favor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Discovery of the day: OneNote uses OneDrive to store content, but doesn't actually require that OneDrive be installed.

This brings me joy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FYI, multiple reports are circulating that Amazon is planning to switch their future tablets and similar devices to a completely custom OS that's not based on Android.

That's pretty much a product-killer for me, as it switches the Fire from being a cheap tablet to the Fire being an Amazon front-end that won't work with any of my other devices.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 pm FYI, multiple reports are circulating that Amazon is planning to switch their future tablets and similar devices to a completely custom OS that's not based on Android.

That's pretty much a product-killer for me, as it switches the Fire from being a cheap tablet to the Fire being an Amazon front-end that won't work with any of my other devices.
And they are not exactly known for their software prowess, on the consumer side of their hardware devices. At least from me. Because I have denounced them. Soundly. Over time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id never buy another Fire tablet anyways. Ill get a real android tablet from Samsung or something when I get one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A Fire is a real Android tablet - just a slow one with a clunkier version of Android. IfI didn't get a Fire, I wouldn't have been able to get a tablet of any sort.

I'd prefer a regular one myself - but the price is two to three times what the Fire tablet is, and given that I primarily use it for reading (and the occasional video), the relatively weak hardware isn't an issue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And you have to get apps off the amazon app store ....it wont work with google play.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:23 am And you have to get apps off the amazon app store ....it wont work with google play.
It's pretty easy to sideload Google Play store on a Kindle Fire.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just Fire or Fire tablet. It hadn't been called Kindle Fire for years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:43 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:23 am And you have to get apps off the amazon app store ....it wont work with google play.
It's pretty easy to sideload Google Play store on a Kindle Fire.
Very easy. When I got my current Fire, I did it in about five minutes while sitting in the car. Super easy...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well something has broken i feared would break and I rely on it every day...my tablet. Just needed it to last 1 more year but like all else nope. I got it for my wife a couple years before her passing then took it over myself. If you remember i would post about how slow it had become. Taking 2 or 3 min to simply open the browser or start a song on iHeartRadio. I put up with it.

I even used it for blue tooth music while I mowed. this year as I was exiting the mower I hung my thigh on the table in its little side holder and nearly broke it into. It broke the screen in 3 or 4 full cracks and shattered small other parts of it. Also introduced weird glitches like the virtual keyboard opening randomly.

I actually did a factory reset a few months back and it solved a lot of the speed issues but this week they were returning for some reason. Then last night I was trying to set the arm like I always use and it locked up. on reboot it locked up at the AMAZON name before it fully booted and sits there showing it a few sec then not then showing it. I cant turn it off or reboot it. Its dead.

So now Im out of an alarm and the music that has helped me so much since losing my wife. Ill adjust but dang just 1 more year is all I needed of it. Already have a nice replacement planned for the day i get case. Oh well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as you have a local wireless connection, any junk tablet or old phone will work just fine for music/alarm. It doesn't need service or a contract. I used an old, out-of-date 'preload minutes' style Android phone as a radio for years. You don't want to browse on it (no security updates), but for music and alarms? It's fine.

And you can get those for pocket change. Hell, a brand-new Fire 7 is only $39. Maybe not a five-star, state-of-the-art device, but much more within your reach (and remember, you can install Google Play on Fire tablets.) Or you can look at pawn shops, thrift shops, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is a fire. Ill never give amazon money for a tablet again. Ill see about an app for the phone. My old alarm app is dead it seems..I think it was called alarm Xtreme free.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:52 pm This is a fire. Ill never give amazon money for a tablet again. Ill see about an app for the phone. My old alarm app is dead it seems..I think it was called alarm Xtreme free.
I use alarm clock extreme on my galaxy phone so if uou can find a cheap android phone or tablet its still available.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried to download it on my android phone but says it wont work on current device.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are dozens of alarm clock apps out there. Just get one with a high rating + a lot of users, and check the recent reviews for hijinks.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I just use the Clock app that came built in on my Android phone.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

PM me your address. I'll send you one of my older Fire 7s.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me? I already replaced it with a Samsung tablet. But thanks for offering. Still getting used to it. but in a way thats half the fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gilraen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 pm I just use the Clock app that came built in on my Android phone.
yep
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The only reason that I use a non-default clock is because I wanted something with some other options for the lock screen.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anyone ever try Portals Desktop Organization? I've had issue after issue with Fences, and I'm about done with Stardock in general (they've eliminated customer support for their software - you have to go through their forums and be 'recommended' to actual support now.)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I decided to go mesh... by FINALLY installed 2 Eero Pro nodes, one downstairs (connected to the DSL modem/original router via Ethernet), existing 2nd router (also via Ethernet), and now another node upstairs. I know these are still 802.11ac, not ax or whatever, but they're fast (faster than my existing routers by a hair) and setup and autoupate are completely painless with the app.

However, privacy advocates will groan as Eero, an Amazon company, uses your Amazon login to save your profiles and whatnot.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

At some point in the next year or two..soon...ish...I'll have to get a Wi-Fi 6 compatible router. I have a great ASUS router but it's 6 years old and is gradually approaching obsolescence.

At that point I'll probably look into getting two ASUS routers that are AiMesh-compatible. Right now I'm using a TP-Link wifi extender (the kind that you plug into an electrical outlet). But for some reason these extenders start out great and then after a couple of years start deteriorating (this is my second one). Suddenly it would have trouble assigning IP to a device and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in, or randomly loses DNS resolution for a couple of minutes, or the connection gets interrupted enough to where my work VPN drops. Plus technically it's a different network than the main one so switching is not seamless. It'll be nice not to deal with it but I don't feel like dropping ~$200 just to get a new shiny when the existing setup still works okay.