BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Stefan Stirzaker

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Reinstalled with these mods and glad i did. Load times after last i played are much faster
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Extended 3025 now at version 1.9.1.2

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/387?tab=posts
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

wait I just updated to 1.9.1
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 pm wait I just updated to 1.9.1
The mod creator has been pretty busy it seems since the last time I updated the mod. This new one was posted on August 30th.

Edit: Installed everything as per instructions. I'm never sure if I need to also reinstall the bigger drops mission control files which I've downloaded off the same website but I did that as well just in case. Let the CAB do its thing afterwards and played out one contract to test it out. No glitches but more assault mechs added to collection after shooting up the opposition. :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I've been slowly playing through a career campaign for the last few months, set in the 3039 era (w/ that mod that Nick contributed to). After I finish up or get tired of it, taking a break for another game but will come back and play 3049 against the clans at some point.

Any word on more DLC or better yet, Battletech 2?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Unfortunately, the devs have stated that they're done with BT and are not working on a sequel at this time, so what we have is what we've got. Which is a shame, but it is what it is. On the plus side, it means modders can chug along without having to worry about a patch breaking everything.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:10 am Unfortunately, the devs have stated that they're done with BT and are not working on a sequel at this time, so what we have is what we've got. Which is a shame, but it is what it is. On the plus side, it means modders can chug along without having to worry about a patch breaking everything.
I think that's just fine. The developers built a pretty solid framework to mod on top of. Some of the best, longest playable games I have were ones where the devs got up, scrubbed their hands on their pants, and walked away.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:15 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:10 am Unfortunately, the devs have stated that they're done with BT and are not working on a sequel at this time, so what we have is what we've got. Which is a shame, but it is what it is. On the plus side, it means modders can chug along without having to worry about a patch breaking everything.
I think that's just fine. The developers built a pretty solid framework to mod on top of. Some of the best, longest playable games I have were ones where the devs got up, scrubbed their hands on their pants, and walked away.
On the one hand... bummer.

On the other hand... mods will keep it fresh and don't cost anything. :)

Besides, we can hope that someday, after we start to tire of the mods, they'll announce 2.0 and somehow be even better than what the mods are doing. OK, so it's probably not a highly likely hope... but let's wait to be disappointed at least until they announce it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I DL'd the Battlefield Extended 3025: Commander's Edition mod with accompanything bells and whistles needed to run it on a fresh install. I got that working just fine - no other mods. I don't need the game modded further than this, I don't think.

I was wondering if the mod does something to the difficulty. I started up on year 3025 (Vanilla) on Hard with 5 Salvage to make a Mech. I rolled my team out to the first mission and proceeded to get ripped apart. Arms and legs flying, we hobbled back after a sad victory over evenly matched forces. My four Mercs needed to take a 6 day nap, so I hired a few more and saddled up to the next mission - where I promptly lost more arms and legs and a nice Large Laser I clearly wasn't planning to use in the next fight. By the end of my fourth deployment, I had lost 2 ML's, 2 LL's and 1 PPC in addition to having three Mercs in medical.

I don't think I forgot how to play, but I feel like I'm getting kicked in the teeth harder and earlier than before. I could be wrong.

Is the 3025:CE mod one that makes "Normal" difficulty hard, and "Hard" difficulty insane? I know some mod creators suggest not adjusting the game difficulty after adding in the mod because the mod dials it up without help.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

One of the things that BEX does is it puts in the BetterAI mod, which, well, you know. Improves the AI behavior. I think it doesn't actually introduce any new AI behaviors, but makes the AI weigh them more appropriately, so that an LRM boat is less likely to charge into the middle of your formation, etc. And also it lets the AI reserve turns, so you can't automatically reserve all your guys until then end then effectively get two turns. And, in my experience, the AI is also a lot more likely to try to max out its evasion pips. So yeah, the battles will definitely be tougher.

The other part is that BEX adds a whole crap-ton of era-appropriate mechs and vehicles, so you'll be seeing (for example) hovertanks equipped with large SRM batteries and AC/20s and other such unpleasantness.

There's a couple more minor adjustments, such as that sometimes a unit will retain its evasion pips, and you'll also see quirks which affect mech performance one way or the other, plus there's the whole mech familiarity mechanic, so if you keep the same mechwarrior in the same mech for a while, he'll get a lot better at it.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Okay. I may need to turn it down to Normal if the AI is actually going to play smarter, then. I think I used Hard to compensate for some dimmer bulbs.

*Edit: In checking, some people claim that Normal is harder than Hard for some reason, like HSB got them backwards. I'll just keep on truckin' with Hard then.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I think the difficulty level doesn't really affect how the AI plays, it just affects the composition of the opposing forces you see - pretty sure that, as the difficulty goes up, they use heavier equipment, have better pilots and have less chance of coming in with half armor to start with. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:think:

That may explain the fully armored enemies I'm facing and not the "light gray" armor of foes I recall from before. It also means I may ramp up to heavier Mechs quicker, which isn't necessarily what I'm after. I enjoy the light stages quite a bit, but it doesn't make sense to keep doing it when you've got a stable of 75+ tonners and big bills to pay.

I'm just a few missions in and will try a shift to Normal to see how it feels.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I never quite got around to restarting on Normal difficulty, maybe it can be adjusted mid-game? I seem to have adapted, though - or maybe my pilots just got a touch better. I don't limp out of every mission now and have settled into a good rhythm of two fights, 6 days of rest, 2 fights, 6 days of rest - until the contracts dry up.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:35 pmit just affects the composition of the opposing forces you see - pretty sure that, as the difficulty goes up, they use heavier equipment
Last night a 1-skull rated mission had a 70-ton Archer and two 50-ton mediums. Thankfully I was given a trio of Light allies to help. I still only have the one 45t medium I was given to start with, and have acquired three Lights.

I have re-discovered the joys of a Firestarter bristling with Machine Guns that easily leaps behind enemies. Added bonus now is that this tends to panic them.

I find the random events interesting, too. I don't know if these came from the expansions or if it's the 3025 Extended mod. Last night I was given an opportunity to acquire rare goods in exchange for exotic animals at a rate of 1,000,000 c-bills. I took it, though it ate up 70% of my wealth. I was given 1/5 of a Black Knight. Not quite what I was hoping for. It looked like there could have been anything in there from mech parts to weapons.

I love the "Dispute the Salvage" option that sometimes pops up, giving me the chin-scratching moment of decision between acquiring some parts of a couple better Mechs and an added 5 Rep with the winning side. I have so far been 50/50 on that. Boosting rep is important, and 5 free is hard to pass up - but so is taking two steps closer to a 50t Mech.

I'm trying to not make any enemies out of any one faction, meaning I'm also hardly getting "up" in relations as well. That's fine for now as I'm nowhere near ready for a 3.5 skull mission. Some 1.5 skull missions overwhelm my team. I appreciate that it's possible to slowly inch up the reputation ladder by cycling between +3 to this faction with -2 to that faction and then taking a reverse mission so you end up with a functional +1/+1 between the two. It's not the fastest way to make friends, but it does stop me from killing a whole faction's worth of missions.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Taking contracts vs the local government is almost always a win-win: you get paid, and you get rep with the faction that hired you.

Only people that lose are the local government, but nobody cares about those guys.

The other thing about BEX (and this gets more relevant as the timeline advances) is that you'll occasionally see news articles pop up saying that this mech is now being manufactured here, etc. This isn't just throwaway lore, if you travel to the systems it mentions, you can actually buy that type of mech there.

Also, I highly recommend these three flashpoint mods: It Came from the Rim, Jinxed, and The Periphery is a Harsh Mistress. Basically, all they do is add three flashpoints into the flashpoint pool (and one of them is a great chance to load up on Marauders for salvage, but you really need at least a higher-end medium lance to get it done). There's also "The Cache", but from what I understand its rewards are bugged and give you an incredible amount of loot that basically spoils the rest of the game. So maybe skip that one.

BEX comes with a bunch of extra flashpoints, but I'm pretty sure they're all 3039+, so you're unlikely to see them with a 3025 start.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:30 amBEX comes with a bunch of extra flashpoints, but I'm pretty sure they're all 3039+, so you're unlikely to see them with a 3025 start.
You clearly haven't watched me doze on a planet while time passes. I'm already half of the way through 3025 and working towards 3026. I'll get to 3039 eventually!

I recalled reading that the bulletins were real things, and have seen a couple so far - but mostly for Light mechs I'm not too worried about, like Commandos. I'd always rather have a sturdy Panther than a Commando if I have to take a Light. Heck, I'd rather have the Urbie I've outfitted as an artillery platform (2JJ's, AC2, PPC) for long-range strikes than a Commando.

I did read a bulletin about "Frankenmechs" (built from parts of other Mechs) and assume this is a prelude to Omnimechs.

One thing the loading screen tips mentioned, but I didn't read completely before it left, was something about Clan content being "non-invasive" to an existing save. I hope that doesn't mean that having started in 3025 I won't be able to even see them happen if I'm around in the year when they would begin.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nah, you'll see the clans just fine.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

There is a remarkably clear delineation between the missions difficulty ratings. You really can't "graduate" beyond 0.5 or 1.0 skulls without having a couple fair Mediums in your stable and some pilot skill.

All of my Mercs are 4/4/4/4 across the board. Only my leader is 5/4/4/5. I have a single 45-ton Mech with 2xML and 2xSL (but great jump and fair melee). I've got my Firestarter with 1xML and 6xMG. There's the Urbie with 1xPPC and 1xAC2. Finally a 30t Valkyrie with 2xLRM10. My first Panther is in the shop with a missing leg, and my second is being refit.

I figured I should be able to work to beat a 1.5 skull mission. Maybe not.

A 1-Skull mission might have 4 to 6 opponents and I can maneuver them into place or take half at a time by hiding behind hills. We come out okay. The first 1.5 Skull was up against like 8 Lights and 2 vehicles. There's only so many hits you can dodge before they start landing, and a lance of Lights doesn't have the armor to absorb much punishment. What I really need are some more potent alpha strikes to wipe out easy targets as they present themselves.

I remembered finally some of my annoyance at the available tonnage/weight ratios in some Mechs. My 45t Phoenix Hawk has 19.5t when fully stripped to the core with no armor. 35t Panthers have 21.5t. So does the 30t Urbie. Those extra two tons can make a real difference when you need to punch above your weight at range. I struggle to find a good role for that one Medium I have aside from absorbing damage. Everyone wants to shoot it. It ended up with 2xML and 2xSL because it kept getting it's arms ripped off and I got tired of losing PPC's or LL's - and it consistently overheated so I was only ever firing the PPC/LL anyway. More Heat sinks means more jumping for Evasion, too.
Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It looks like a huge update dropped recently and it’s not compatible with earlier saves if I’m not mistaken? Kind of bummed if that’s the case because my current company is outfitted with all sorts of Clan tech and I’ve been cutting a path through the Inner Systems like my own little Clan invasion. But if it’s time to retire the Angry Koalas then they wholeheartedly deserve their retirement on some nice resort planet.

It will be fun to start again though.

Edit: Or I can just upgrade to 1.9.2.0 save my game then upgrade to 1.9.2.1?
Black lives matter!

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 amEdit: Or I can just upgrade to 1.9.2.0 save my game then upgrade to 1.9.2.1?
I don't know, but I'd take a backup of it before I did just to be sure. There's a good reason I have auto-updates disabled for this game.

I continue to be impressed by the work the modders put into this title. The random drop placement has helped keep maps from feeling stale by always approaching one from a different angle - and in that way they always look actually different. The larger number of mission flavors is welcome, too.

I've been enjoying my visit, and my company is up to 3 Medium Mechs now, but the difficulty curve works against me as 2-skull missions have ripped me apart despite being able to handle them. Going toe-to-toe with 6+ other Mechs, half of them also Mediums, breaks down armor easily. My last mission last night put me up against a Rifleman who ripped a leg off two of my Mechs. It smartly held his distance out of view while I fought, perched up on a cliff, and it took a while to get to him through the rabble.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

On the plus side, you won't be seeing any more official updates to the game.

BEX, however, I've been told is save game incompatible between the previous major release and this one.

In tabletop, the standard Rifleman is a complete joke, but with the buffs HBS gave to AC/5s, and the "natural CASE" every mech gets, it's a pretty tough customer. In a player's hands, it gets even nastier when you realize you can take some of the guns off and up the armor. And I think it's got some kind of special equipment, too?
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 amIn a player's hands, it gets even nastier when you realize you can take some of the guns off and up the armor. And I think it's got some kind of special equipment, too?
I didn't get a chance to see, but I do have 3 parts of the bugger... :) ... Once I had a Shadow Hawk and Firestarter trading punches with him, he ejected pretty quickly. Still, it took me 16 days and maybe 340k to fully repair after that fight. The only "win" in there was salvage.

I think the last time I got a Rifleman I made it like my Urbanmech - long range artillery that didn't get too close because the armor was flimsy. I don't mind having a Mech that can hit anything on the field without jumping back and forth. I'm fairly sure I did the same with the Jagermech and Blackjack. Just treated them like artillery. A couple solid AC10++'s, and a pilot that can split attacks and penetrate defenses. Right now I'm using a LRM/PPC Panther to fill that role.

I'm also up to 12 Mercs now, so I can run three back-to-back missions before dealing with fatigue as long as my Mechs don't get too banged up. I can add another 4+ but want a second Mech Bay before I do.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

With the Extended 3025 mod, I really need some way to keep track of which Mercs are training with which Mechs. As I'm collecting more salvage, I'm opening up new Mechs - but can't remember anymore who's training on what. They're all pretty skilled with a few Light Mechs, and only the top 3 show on their list of skills when you hover over them. Until they've worked in a Medium long enough to bump down one of those Lights, I have no idea who knows what. It's a little frustrating.

I'll have to start taking notes on who's assigned to what. Even then, I'll be throwing that out the window each time I unlock a new heavier Mech. I'm not at a point yet where I can settle into a nice consistent lance structure with an assault or two, a heavy, and a medium scout.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, with the preponderance of mech types in that mod, it's pretty tough to match a single dude to a mech, considering the amount of mech churn that goes on. It would be neat, if you pulled up a mechwarrior from the roster, for the mechs he's skilled in to highlight a little, brighten up or something.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Having started over with a new merc company I need to remember that I don’t have a group of veterans with 10s in all their stats, or mechs tricked out with Clan gear or Clan mechs won in battle or any assault mechs.

On the other hand it’s a lot of fun playing with a bunch of really mobile light mechs. I ended up taking the mystery box offered in the beginning of the game and snagged a SLDF UAC-5. Couldn’t mount it on anything for a while but when I salvaged a Firestarter I stripped the weapons and mounted the cannon on it along with a laser. It’s a weird pairing but it’s a great sniper until I get something a bit heavier. I also have a little Urbie which came with a PPC that’s actually developing into something to be feared.

Funniest moment was my second hire who had lots of potential and got cored by a Saladin on his first mission. Oops.

Oh no! They got the new guy! (I hope he didn’t owe me C bills...)
Black lives matter!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If I fire this up again is BEX the only mod you recommend or is there a suite of mods that make it hit the sweet spot?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

BEX itself is a compilation of various mods, so it should be all you need.

I personally recommend the "full mission control and bigger drops" patch that's optionally available with the mod so you have the possibility of a) deploying more than four mechs at a time, given enough time and money and b) extra allied/hostile lances spawning in. But that makes difficulty even more "swingy" than it is right now.

You'll also need the Community Asset Bundle, as that's got all the models and such for the new mechs/tanks/etc.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 pm BEX itself is a compilation of various mods, so it should be all you need.

I personally recommend the "full mission control and bigger drops" patch that's optionally available with the mod so you have the possibility of a) deploying more than four mechs at a time, given enough time and money and b) extra allied/hostile lances spawning in. But that makes difficulty even more "swingy" than it is right now.

You'll also need the Community Asset Bundle, as that's got all the models and such for the new mechs/tanks/etc.
When you say optionally available, how do you install it? I looked through the mod install page, but maybe I missed it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You basically drop it into the mods folder, overwriting whatever it asks you to overwrite.

When you load your campaign, the easiest way to check that it installed correctly is to look at the argo upgrade section, and there'll be a set of new "argo" upgrades in the middle row.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 amWhen you load your campaign, the easiest way to check that it installed correctly is to look at the argo upgrade section, and there'll be a set of new "argo" upgrades in the middle row.
I didn't do anything fancy with my BEX install and I have that middle set of upgrades available, like buying a second Leopard. I may have downloaded a "complete" version (I think it was the Commander's version?) without really understanding.

You mentioned that installing this skews the drops to be a little harder, accounting for you deploying more tonnage. This may explain why I've been ripped apart in several missions by 2x or more the power of my lance. The only reason we don't wipe is that they come in waves, or I position so I'm only dealing with a few at a time.
Black Lives Matter

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 am You basically drop it into the mods folder, overwriting whatever it asks you to overwrite.

When you load your campaign, the easiest way to check that it installed correctly is to look at the argo upgrade section, and there'll be a set of new "argo" upgrades in the middle row.
Thanks! I missed it in the downloads area.
WestorEast

Post by WestorEast »

So I downloaded the BTA mod pack and gave it a whirl. And I can not figure out how to get back to base Battletech and the campaign I was working on. When I click the 'launch game' button on Steam, it takes me right to the BTA start-up and when I deselect all of the mods that make it up, that still just puts me at the BTA main menu, just with the mods disabled. What am I doing wrong here?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You need to verify integrity to restore the old files. The mod changed the menu screen.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've been playing a new Career game with BEX and oof I had forgotten how hard Clan weapons hit. I'm using the "bigger drops" mod and I think it's actually making things harder, since now I have an additional Clan star to deal with on every mission.

Right now I'm spending a month in a 1-2 skull Clan system to get some gear, then a month in a 4-5 skull regular system to pay for all the repairs I incurred in Clan space. Rinse and repeat.
WestorEast

Post by WestorEast »

This is probably another stupid question for BTA, but where do I find more pilots to hire? My original crew is getting whittled down something fierce and the store button only has metal, not meat, available to buy. I haven't seen a world with the hiring hall tag on the nav chart, so do I just need to head to a world with a big enough pop or something?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm not too familiar with how BTA does it, but in BEX, last time I played it, pilots are usually available for hire in any populated system.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

WestorEast wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:47 am This is probably another stupid question for BTA, but where do I find more pilots to hire?
At a planet, click on the ship button, and there should be two buttons, one for equipment and the other is hiring hall.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
WestorEast

Post by WestorEast »

NickAragua wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:32 am I'm not too familiar with how BTA does it, but in BEX, last time I played it, pilots are usually available for hire in any populated system.
Figured it out. On the bottom right part of the ship screen, where you normally never bother to look, there's a hiring hall and store button. Since there's still the normal store button on the left-hand list with the mech bay and barracks and everything, I never even bothered to check it out.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've not played BattleTech in many months, but I've got an itch to install it again.

What are people's opinions about the current best mods (especially comprehensive ones) to improve and deepen the experience?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.