BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by malchior »

Pre-load complete - 12 MB/s! It's nice that I'm between projects right now so I can give this a few hours today.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Funny how this game wasn't even on my radar until yesterday. Now, it's pre-loaded and ready to go!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm going to test out the fiber connection we're having installed at work and download this to a flash drive to bring home tonight. Speed report in an hour and 25 minutes when it's unlocked on GOG. :D

I'm going in without tips, guides, videos, streams, spoilers, or anything else. I prefer to discover games on my own as much as I can.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 am I'm going to test out the fiber connection we're having installed at work and download this to a flash drive to bring home tonight. Speed report in an hour and 25 minutes when it's unlocked on GOG. :D

I'm going in without tips, guides, videos, streams, spoilers, or anything else. I prefer to discover games on my own as much as I can.
Be sure to come back by and write a little on it after you make it through a good bit. At this point I am jaded and am curious how others who aren't find it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Arrgh, power is out at the house! Such is the fate of all those who mock Smoove's broadband speed. (but in all fairness Coop started it)

Edit: Power is restored! I will never mock Smoove again! (until the Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire pre-load is available if Smoove bought that game)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
DD*

Post by DD* »

T minus 60 minutes to unlock!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Doh! - I was planning to pre-load this last night and wasn't feeling well. I didn't even fire up my PC.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 am I'm going in without tips, guides, videos, streams, spoilers, or anything else. I prefer to discover games on my own as much as I can.
The extreme weight of this interface may punish you for this strategy. The tutorials seem... inadequate. You'll figure it out all out eventually.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

From the few reviews I've read this morning, seems like the main complaints are;
1. slow pace due to animations.
2. sometimes clunky interface.
3. creepy silence from mechwarriors during combat.

Despite these complaints, it still sounds like the game gets a lot right.
I can't play until late tonight at the earliest so hopefully you all provide some impressions before then.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am From the few reviews I've read this morning, seems like the main complaints are;

I can't play until late tonight at the earliest so hopefully you all provide some impressions before then.
I played Battletech incessantly for 10+ years through adolescence and college. I never once felt compelled to make voice-overs for my mechpilots. OTOH, I always, always wished I could see the weapons fire, the armor vaporize and the mech's crashing to the ground. Pretty clear to me that this PC game was made for the Battletech players, not the instant-gratification folk.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Unlocking....
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

To be honest, given the number of times I'm going to shoot things or move in the game, I don't think they could record enough mechwarrior voice lines to prevent them from repeating themselves. How many ways can you say "moving to target area"?

Also, I'm not paying the SOBs to chit chat.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:57 am
Archinerd wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am From the few reviews I've read this morning, seems like the main complaints are;

I played Battletech incessantly for 10+ years through adolescence and college. I never once felt compelled to make voice-overs for my mechpilots. OTOH, I always, always wished I could see the weapons fire, the armor vaporize and the mech's crashing to the ground. Pretty clear to me that this PC game was made for the Battletech players, not the instant-gratification folk.
None are deal breakers for me either, still very excited.
Rip

Post by Rip »

From watching a lot I would say the pilots comments are just about right.

They seems to say things at appropriate times as well.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Launching...if you don't hear from me I'll be in Battletech bliss
Last edited by IceBear on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

That's weird. I felt fine this morning when I got to work but now I might have the stomach flu.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Downloading now but speeds are fluctuating all over the place.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I guess the Paradox servers are getting slammed...tried to submit my Valhalla code and it's just spinning
DD*

Post by DD* »

Gah, I'm updating now. Steam first told me over an hour, the bastard. Now at 10 minutes...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ohoh...crashed loading mission 2
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As is usually the case with these KS games, I suspect there will be a series of problems that will be resolved with an "emergency" patch over the next 7-10 days. And then a massive patch released in the next ~3 months that will address a large number of issues that aren't game-crippling but still rather annoying.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you all for beta testing this before I pick it up on the first decent sale.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Been flawless since then. Think I was clicking too much with my impatience. I watched a lot of streaming of the pre release and think I saw one hang. I think it's pretty solid. Remember this was in beta test for awhile
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hope you're right. I just don't know the size of the beta test pool. I'd imagine it's a fraction of the number of people playing now so I'd imagine all those unique configurations are going to expose more problems. It could also be I'm a jaded PC gamer and KS backer. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh I'm sure there are going to be issues with all the users out there now but the MP beat I think was open to most Kickstarter backers and that was really the core engine being tested there
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh...and Boom! PPC to the enemy heavy mech's head :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

So far I've played the tutorial and part of the first story mission. I like what I see up to this point (although not as much as XCOM), but with a few caveats:

Long loading times

The tutorial is useless, consisting of "move there" and "shoot at that". If I hadn't watched a couple of video guides, I probably wouldn't understand the interface or HUD at all.

There aren't enough tool tips. See above.

No difficulty selection.

Only one save slot. From what I can tell it's Ironman or nothing.

Unless you know the lore (which I don't) the story is convoluted and confusing. It's like Game of Thrones but starting in the middle of the fourth season.

I'll be able to get back to it this afternoon and will add more later.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Please don’t tell me it’s a permadeath type game. I don’t mind saving a lot, but I’m too old for rouge-like games.

By the way, still 150 miles from home, cleaning out used bookstores.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Based on what the devs had said, the only way for the game to be permanently over is if you run out of money. Otherwise, you can keep hiring new mechwarriors and buying/salvaging new mechs. If you get beat up, you can take some easier one-star contracts to rebuild your company, then go back to doing five-star contracts where you're up against "Steiner Scout Lances" (i.e. 4x Atlas).
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

First couple missions down and I'm having fun...

stessier

Post by stessier »

There is far too much posting in this thread by people having fun. Real fun means you forget to eat and sleep. Game must be a dud.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There is time while your alpha strike is resolved to come to the forums, post an update and get some coffee.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can't wait until the kids are in bed to give this a whirl.

The download was 20m per 4GB file on a 25x25 fiber line. 12.5GB in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm Based on what the devs had said, the only way for the game to be permanently over is if you run out of money. Otherwise, you can keep hiring new mechwarriors and buying/salvaging new mechs. If you get beat up, you can take some easier one-star contracts to rebuild your company, then go back to doing five-star contracts where you're up against "Steiner Scout Lances" (i.e. 4x Atlas).
Still do not like just one save slot. I remember this being an issue with the Shadowrun games also that I believe an outcry caused them to have to fix. Other games have multiple save slots, no excuse here for a modern TB game. This is just laziness on their part IMO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm Please don’t tell me it’s a permadeath type game. I don’t mind saving a lot, but I’m too old for rouge-like games.

By the way, still 150 miles from home, cleaning out used bookstores.
It isn't because you are immortal. The only way to lose is to go broke and that isn't all that easy.

Don't care about save slots. I see no reason to save scum at all. I will only load a save if there is a crash.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm Based on what the devs had said, the only way for the game to be permanently over is if you run out of money. Otherwise, you can keep hiring new mechwarriors and buying/salvaging new mechs. If you get beat up, you can take some easier one-star contracts to rebuild your company, then go back to doing five-star contracts where you're up against "Steiner Scout Lances" (i.e. 4x Atlas).
Still do not like just one save slot. I remember this being an issue with the Shadowrun games also that I believe an outcry caused them to have to fix. Other games have multiple save slots, no excuse here for a modern TB game. This is just laziness on their part IMO.
Yeah, I have to agree with you. It's like they didn't learn their lesson from last time. Personally, I was planning on playing more or less iron man (until I get pissed off and want to load a game), but it's not that hard to see someone wanting to make a save at a critical decision point so they can replay the game from there on without having to replay the entire thing.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Turns out I was wrong about saving. Every time you save the game it creates a new slot. You just don't see it happen. Plus there are checkpoint saves.

And it has nothing to do with save scumming. The very first story mission after the tutorial has 5 or 6 stages, and there's no way I could finish it in one sitting, given my schedule. I'm sure there are longer to come.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm
I almost hate asking this-- why do you call it "lazy"?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

tgb wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm Turns out I was wrong about saving. Every time you save the game it creates a new slot. You just don't see it happen. Plus there are checkpoint saves.
Good to know. That's kind of how they eventually implemented it in Shadowrun.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tgb wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm So far I've played the tutorial and part of the first story mission. I like what I see up to this point (although not as much as XCOM), but with a few caveats:

Long loading times

The tutorial is useless, consisting of "move there" and "shoot at that". If I hadn't watched a couple of video guides, I probably wouldn't understand the interface or HUD at all.

There aren't enough tool tips. See above.

No difficulty selection.

Only one save slot. From what I can tell it's Ironman or nothing.

Unless you know the lore (which I don't) the story is convoluted and confusing. It's like Game of Thrones but starting in the middle of the fourth season.

I'll be able to get back to it this afternoon and will add more later.
Correction, I’ve been told at QT3, that there is more than one save slot. You might want to doublecheck.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton