BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by NickAragua »

There are basically three major modpacks that you can install that I'm directly aware of (also, my knowledge on this is like a year old). All of them add a significant number of mech chassis and new vehicles to the game, as well as mission types and flashpoints; not to mention they expand the star map to the entire Inner Sphere rather than a small section of the south periphery. In most of them, you'll also see mechwarriors eject from really shot up mechs and some kind of fatigue system to encourage you to cycle your mechwarriors out.

First is "Battletech Extended" (BEX), which keeps the fundamental mechanics of this game. The mech lab stays roughly the same, weapon balance stays more or less the same, you just get a crap-ton of new mechs, vehicles, weapon types, missions and flashpoints. It's also possible to install a sub-mod that lets you deploy up to 8 mechs per mission instead of 4; and increase the bad guy count in some missions to compensate. If you choose to start around the 3050s, you'll actually see the clans come in with their overpowered tech. Basically, if you just want "more battletech", this is the mod.

Then there's "Battletech Advanced" (BTA), which I'm less familiar with. It's kind of a middle-ground between BEX and RogueTech, discussed below.

"RogueTech" transforms the game into as close as you can get to tabletop given the engine's limitations. You get crazy/awesome stuff like helicopters, infantry, weird pirate mechs, superheavy units, the ability to lay mines and set fires, the ability to own and operate vehicles. I think they've got low-visibility rules implemented too, as well as actual tabletop to-hit rules (meaning a lot lower to-hit odds). The downside is that unless your machine is a beast, it'll chug a lot due to all the extra processing power required.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I didn't realize Roguetech added infantry... I might be feeling an itch now too.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Looking at it again, based on screenshots I've seen, they definitely have battle armor and bunkered-infantry that likes to hang out in buildings. I don't know if they have infantry infantry for squishing, though.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So...I'm finally playing this. What's the best starting options / choices? I mainly want to make opposing mechs go boom and fall over. Not sure what to do with my initial starting million credits.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Do you have the three expansions/DLC, or just playing vanilla?

Regardless, save the money unless you see a + or ++ or +++ weapon on the market. Mechs are going to be too expensive for you to buy for a while.

Focus on doing half and one skull contracts. You'll want to be doing as many as you can, because monthly maintenance costs can add up. Shuttle back and forth between half and one skull systems, clearing the contracts out in each.

If you're doing campaign mode, then you'll eventually get the "Argo", which is an upgradable transport, as opposed to your crappy starting Leopard. Otherwise, you'll start out with the Argo, but try to leave yourself at least a months' worth of payments.

Since everything is randomly generated, it's hard to give a specific path, but you want to aim for a full stable of medium mechs ASAP, so salvage bits of those as often as you can; eventually you'll be able to put one together. Some of my favorite mediums are the Wolverine 6M, the Griffin 1S and, I hate to say it because it's terrible in table top, but the Shadow Hawk. But it'll take you a while to see one of those. The general rule is heavier is better, but there are some major boners like the Cicada. The Vulcan and Phoenix Hawk are solid low-end mediums.

For lighter mechs, the Panther and Firestarter are solid options, as is the Javelin. Spider is super fast but you have to be pretty careful as it's basically all engine. Jenner is fast but has major heat issues.

Customization is key here - the default mech loadouts tend to suck ass, so what you want is to strip the mechs down to their skivvies, max out armor and then add weapons/jumpjets/heatsinks back. Don't worry about keeping up with heat one to one, but if you keep that heat rating somewhere roughly in the middle, you should be good. For ammo count, you usually want your guns to be able to fire 10-20 shots at least for standard contracts. Some of the story missions and flashpoints will require more ammo, but by the you should have a feel for how much ammo you need to install. Definitely install ammo in the legs, as the bad guys don't target those nearly as often and if a leg goes out it doesn't usually take half your weapons with it.

Machine guns, flamers and small lasers attack for "free" with every melee attack you make; melee attacks are great because they a) do 2x damage to vehicles b) ignore a lot of the evasion/cover modifiers and c) let you still deliver damage while you cool off. Note that standing around to deliver multiple melee attacks in a row is inadvisable as your mech will get perforated.

Mech salvage tip - best way of getting mech chassis parts it to get headshots. But that's hard. Another way is to keep knocking the mech down - eventually the poor scrub inside will get turned into paste. Knockdowns are achieved by hitting a mech with stability damage when it's already "unstable" - which is something that happens when taking ballistic weapon damage and melee attacks. Another tip is to approach from the sides so you hit the side torsos for automatic pilot damage.

It's been a while since I played pure vanilla (I mostly use the Battletech Extended 3025 mod, as I'm a fiend for more mech chassis and vehicle types), so sorry if I'm mixing up mod stuff with vanilla stuff.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I am doing campaign mode. Right now no expansions or mods, though I didn't realize that there were expansions so I'll probably pick them up. I've never modded a game, but I suppose I could give it a try if there's one that's easy and pretty essential.

I did 'buy' a Warhammer, only to discover that I wasn't actually buying a warhammer, I was buying 1/3rd of the parts of a Warhammer. At which point I reloaded and then didn't do that. But dammit I want a Warhammer or a Marauder!
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, the general rule is that full mechs will cost upwards of 10M C-Bills to buy. What you bought was probably like a leg and a loose arm actuator.

With campaign mode, you want to make sure you're pretty beefed up before you hit the next "campaign" mission, because it makes the skull ratings of all systems go up once you hit certain checkpoints in the campaign, meaning the easier missions stop appearing.

I would definitely grab the expansions as they add a crap ton of content to the game, including "flashpoints", which are like mini-campaigns that unlock after the main campaign finishes. Most of the expansion content comes into play later in the game or after you finish the "main story".

You won't go wrong playing vanilla, but if you ever start to get bored with the mission/mech variety, or want to deploy more than 4 mechs at a time look up "Battletech Extended 3025" (although it's probably like "3025-3069 commander's ultra plus edition" or something stupid like that by now).

Some other tactical tips: don't forget to use and abuse the morale-activated abilities (the blue crosshairs that lets you target specific mech parts and the blue shield which gives you massive defensive bonuses). Also: it's ok to run away from a randomly generated mission. If you know your mechs will get all shot up, it's often cheaper to just bail than to stick it out. The employer might be pissed but repairs can get super expensive (or you might even lose veteran mechwarriors; mechs you only lose if you have 'center torso destruction' turned on).
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I just tried to install RogueTech and it told me I need a RIDICULOUSLY large Pagefile. I'm leery to actually do that. Is this worth the squeeze? It seems to have a huge change to system reqs from vanilla.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The RT-Crew's minimum system requirement is to have at least 16GB of physical RAM (more is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED) to minimize crashing from insufficient memory. Additionally, as a general configuration rule for all computers, make sure you have set a PageFile that is at least 1.5x the amount of your physical RAM, ideally on your fastest drive.
Emphasis mine.

Someone's been reading those Windows XP tweak guides again.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:36 pm Yeah, the general rule is that full mechs will cost upwards of 10M C-Bills to buy. What you bought was probably like a leg and a loose arm actuator.

With campaign mode, you want to make sure you're pretty beefed up before you hit the next "campaign" mission, because it makes the skull ratings of all systems go up once you hit certain checkpoints in the campaign, meaning the easier missions stop appearing.

I would definitely grab the expansions as they add a crap ton of content to the game, including "flashpoints", which are like mini-campaigns that unlock after the main campaign finishes. Most of the expansion content comes into play later in the game or after you finish the "main story".

You won't go wrong playing vanilla, but if you ever start to get bored with the mission/mech variety, or want to deploy more than 4 mechs at a time look up "Battletech Extended 3025" (although it's probably like "3025-3069 commander's ultra plus edition" or something stupid like that by now).

Some other tactical tips: don't forget to use and abuse the morale-activated abilities (the blue crosshairs that lets you target specific mech parts and the blue shield which gives you massive defensive bonuses). Also: it's ok to run away from a randomly generated mission. If you know your mechs will get all shot up, it's often cheaper to just bail than to stick it out. The employer might be pissed but repairs can get super expensive (or you might even lose veteran mechwarriors; mechs you only lose if you have 'center torso destruction' turned on).
I'm really enjoying the game, BTW. I did go ahead and pick up the expansions - am enjoying the urban setting, among other things.

One question about the targeting ability - it gives a % chance of hitting specific mech areas. Does it change your odds of hitting the mech at all? E.g., if you have an 80% chance of hitting the mech with a weapon normally, but targeting the head you have a 5% chance of hitting, choosing to target your head doesn't change that 80% chance, right, if you miss the headshot?

Also seems like there's a massive range in mission difficulty even within specific "skull" rating. Like I've had some 2.5 skull missions where I just fight a smattering of small and medium mechs, and also have had 2.5 skull missions where we're up against 10 mechs at once, including heavies.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 pm One question about the targeting ability - it gives a % chance of hitting specific mech areas. Does it change your odds of hitting the mech at all? E.g., if you have an 80% chance of hitting the mech with a weapon normally, but targeting the head you have a 5% chance of hitting, choosing to target your head doesn't change that 80% chance, right, if you miss the headshot?

Also seems like there's a massive range in mission difficulty even within specific "skull" rating. Like I've had some 2.5 skull missions where I just fight a smattering of small and medium mechs, and also have had 2.5 skull missions where we're up against 10 mechs at once, including heavies.
The called shot gives you a bonus to land the shot, in addition to a greater chance to hit the location you're aiming at; like in the tabletop game, roll to hit first, then roll location. So, if you really need to land a shot but don't much care about where, called shot is a good option.

As for the swingy difficulty, that's how it goes with randomly assigned units. A good indicator of how much stuff you'll be facing is the mission's payout - if it's super high, then you're likely going to see more units. At least, that's what I've read from other people.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's certainly been my experience. High $$$ payouts = tougher mission.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I see the Heavy Metal and Urban Warfare DLC are half price. I haven't played in quite a while the vanilla game + Flashpoint DLC, is it worth getting the two other DLC if I'm more of a casual BT player?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:18 pm I see the Heavy Metal and Urban Warfare DLC are half price. I haven't played in quite a while the vanilla game + Flashpoint DLC, is it worth getting the two other DLC if I'm more of a casual BT player?
Urban Warfare adds a new environment type, the city, which you'll see in random battles as well as a bunch of new flashpoints.

Heavy Metal adds a substantial number of new mechs and one excellent flashpoint.

If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Urban Warfare, but you really can't go wrong with Heavy Metal either. Especially if you want to get full use out of most of the bigger mods out there, they pretty much assume you've got all three expansions.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I've restarted the game and I'm enjoying the campaign again but I think I want to try playing where when I end the campaign I can continue playing without having permanent enemies. Any recommendations for not being total enemies with the pirates by the time you get the Argo?

Should I just play like years before advancing the campaign at all? Is that at all an affordable option?

Should I just forego redoing the campaign if I want to play off everyone?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:00 pm So I've restarted the game and I'm enjoying the campaign again but I think I want to try playing where when I end the campaign I can continue playing without having permanent enemies. Any recommendations for not being total enemies with the pirates by the time you get the Argo?

Should I just play like years before advancing the campaign at all? Is that at all an affordable option?

Should I just forego redoing the campaign if I want to play off everyone?
From what I recall, technically, if you "even out" the contracts that you take, you'll come out slightly ahead in terms of rep. However, that means that reaching high-end rep... takes a long time. Taking contracts against the "Local Government" feels bad because you're picking on random planetary militia, but on the other hand it's free rep with whatever faction is offering the contract. Similarly, taking contracts for the local government is basically giving up rep.

So if you want to max rep, don't work for local govt, work against them.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also I recall the cash payout for the main quests as being substantially better than the cash payout for random side quests, which wound up pushing me to advance the story more rapidly, as otherwise I got too impatient to build up cash through side quests.

How good is the black market stuff, incidentally? I had one chance to "buy into" the black market, but I had taken a bunch of quests against pirates, so my rep with them was low, so buying in would've cost something like 90% of my cash on hand, so I declined.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

It's been a while, but as I recall, you're more likely to find "the good shit" in the black market. Meaning ++ gear, inferno missiles, LBX autocannons, double heat sinks, gauss rifles, etc.

However, if you have crappy rep with the pirates, you won't be able to afford any of it anyway since the multiplier gets... large. So bankrupting yourself to buy access is pointless.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's slow going building pirate rep at the beginning but I'm digging on the lighter mech fights that you usually run past just getting as quickly to assault mechs as possible. I'm almost at 0 rep with the pirates and have slightly positive rep with Canopians and the Capellans. I turn down any pro planet gov't missions and any anti pirate missions.

Of course I totally spaced on the fact that you can drag both your bars to the left and jack rep. Especially when you are taking on the planetary gov't so there is no rep counter balance. :oops: Even then, that's OK, as I need the money. It trickles in when you are locked in the early game... Though with no Argo to build and upkeep my monthly costs could be worse. The worst thing going on fragile mechs make for fragile pilots. I now have 8, including myself, with only room for one more. 4 of us are wounded.

:sci-fi-robot:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This is $2 at CD Keys right now if anyone is looking.