Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by Lassr »

Lorini wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:17 am You get Auto Explore in the game anyway now, you don't really need the mod. Yes you have to research it but it's there.
Yes, just never know when it will pop up.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

To help with energy in the early and middle gme I tend to build trade only stations around a lot of my planets. A fully decked out star hold produces 36 energy minus maintenance, and if the system is along a front, you can defend it with defense sats which make even a trade station fairly formidable.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Trade stations I knew about, but I usually put them internally with a fully decked out defense station on the borders. But I'll have to look into a mix of trade station with defense stations, especially towards peaceful borders.

I've been having a lot of luck with a defense station using guns, the addon that adds double range, the second that adds slowing down the enemy, the third as the one that speeds up my own ships, and the fourth the one that adds +12 (I think) defense platforms. Then using missile defense platforms. The slowed enemy gets hammered pretty good by a huge swarm of missiles long before getting a shot off. There's probably more effective systems, but it looks damn cool.

I'm seriously underwhelmed by fighters. I want carriers to be at least on par with the best weapons, but my experiments with them put them as unusable at the moment. I've always wanted WWII in space and Stellaris comes so close. Without the carriers it falls just short.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

You have to research auto-explore? Really? I hope diaper-changing is very early in the tech tree.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Freyland wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 pm You have to research auto-explore? Really? I hope diaper-changing is very early in the tech tree.
Yes, it is rather stupid, that is why I was using the MOD. Just wasted research for something that should be automatic.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lassr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:12 pm
Freyland wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 pm You have to research auto-explore? Really? I hope diaper-changing is very early in the tech tree.
Yes, it is rather stupid, that is why I was using the MOD. Just wasted research for something that should be automatic.
Meh, it's cheap and comes early. To be honest, in the very early game you're also much better served ordering your science vessels around manually since there's a lot more strategic importance to when and where you get certain systems surveyed. Once all your border systems are well surveyed in the mid to late early-game, it's less of an issue to use the automated exploration.

I tend to just queue up 4 or 5 systems for them at a time, and it's not enough micromanagement to even worry about.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sepiche wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Lassr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:12 pm
Meh, it's cheap and comes early. To be honest, in the very early game you're also much better served ordering your science vessels around manually since there's a lot more strategic importance to when and where you get certain systems surveyed. Once all your border systems are well surveyed in the mid to late early-game, it's less of an issue to use the automated exploration.

I tend to just queue up 4 or 5 systems for them at a time, and it's not enough micromanagement to even worry about.
I had totally forgot about the ability to hold shift and queue up surveys. :doh:

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I still cannot beat this game. I did when it first came out but now the other Empires far outpace me. I think this is like the 15th game in a row I have been destroyed after a few hours of play. I have tried numerous strategies. If i try to keep up large fleet sizes then I do not have enough energy for maintenance. I run out of materials constantly. Surrounding empires have twice the planets I do and 5 times the fleet size. Pirates are now very irritating. You cannot leave explored system untouched or pirates form and then they only attack me.

I give up.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

giving it one more go, I switched back to a race I created when I first started playing. MY OO race never does well, let's see how this goes.

Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My best run with the new patch has been with a Fanatic Militant, Authoritarian empire with a lot of bonuses to mineral production.

In the early game I pushed hard to get mineral production up, and getting that up really let me get ahead of the AI empires. Around the late early game I put a lot of those minerals into building a bunch of dedicated anchorages in key systems and that also really gave my military a leg up over all the empires around me.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am My best run with the new patch has been with a Fanatic Militant, Authoritarian empire with a lot of bonuses to mineral production.

In the early game I pushed hard to get mineral production up, and getting that up really let me get ahead of the AI empires. Around the late early game I put a lot of those minerals into building a bunch of dedicated anchorages in key systems and that also really gave my military a leg up over all the empires around me.
I believe that is the traits of this race. My OO race was more technology driven, this one is militant and authoritarian. I also am building anchorages and racking up the minerals. I just can't get my fleet numbers up as fast as the other empires still. But I am at peace with everyone at the moment.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I think that is what is sooooo frustrating about this game. For such a wide open game that it appears there is only a narrow path to victory and it involves sacrificing everything to build up a fleet.

I tried the peace path once but there's always that one race that just hates you and when they declare war they can usually take several systems before my partners can swoop in to help.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I've found defensive starbases on choke points to be valuable in 2.0. It allows me to maintain a smaller fleet, without risk, or as much risk anyway.

During the initial land grab, I'll explore until my home system is built up or until I find another empire. If they are going to be enemies, I'll look for a choke point, one or two systems between us and hurry to grab those. It means occasionally sacrificing otherwise good systems, but defense is far easier. Once I have the choke point(s) I build pure defense star bases. I max out the platforms, usually with missiles. The bases require an initial mineral investment, but are maintained by credits. I keep a small fleet to augment the star base.

I also keep an eye on the fleet power difference. If they get to overwhelming, I'll build a bigger fleet. If I'm out of naval points, I'll build an anchorage base in an empty system. Keeping the enemy in the superior zone (their navy power superior to mine), combined with the choke point, works. If there is a war, it's won or lost at the choke point. I'd guess I'm running 65-70% victorious. I do run with a single shipyard base, usually moved to an empty system near the front when I have the minerals and open base points. This gives me a short supply line for replacement or more ships. I'll also push past the naval limit during wars, if I have the materials to do so. I can disband back to the limit afterward.

If credits are running low, I'll build a base in a system with a colony and run trade stations.

I tend to like turtling, so this system works for me. My initial empire tends to be small, but once I gain a tech advantage, I can start picking off choice enemy systems or preparing for a federation. I'm also experimenting with vassals and subjects, but grinding a large empire down enough before hitting 100% war exhaustion is hard. I've found I have to shrink them a bit first. :lol:

I suspect it would backfire badly if I tried to spread out in a wide empire. But I'm happiest playing tall and this update helped tall players a lot. Or at least my style of tall.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

There's a tips discussion on Reddit with good information.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

<Frustration>

Well, that didn't go well either. I had a +16 in credit/month, Two empires went to war and I was dragged in due to an defensive agreement. I added some defense platforms to by ports along the border, build 3 more starbases and parked my two 5K fleets along the border. I then noticed my energy credits went from +16 to a -120 per month. WTF? So in 3 months my credits were bankrupt. Then the other empire shows up with three 15K fleets and begins his destruction of my empire.

Rage quit...

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I loaded the game back up with a No Station Maintenance mod. So I have plenty of energy now but I don't think the mod counts for materials maintenance because it is still eating into my material supply. But it gave me a chance to get my fleets up to 10K each. But the other empire still has more ships and yet our territories are the same size we have about the same number of planets and stations. I have all my mines cranked up on each planet, all systems mined but that empire can afford a much larger fleet, If I build them up that large I go bankrupt with fleet maintenance. I'm stumped but I am surviving thus far. We'll see what happens if another war is declared.

Can the pirates ever be defeated? They just keep popping up after taking them out. It is a hassle as they wipe out a system or two of mines before I can deal with them.

Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 am Can the pirates ever be defeated? They just keep popping up after taking them out. It is a hassle as they wipe out a system or two of mines before I can deal with them.
Nope. It's a soft encouragement to not leave unclaimed systems in the heart of your territory, but mostly to make sure you keep fleets or stations spread around your territory to defeat them when they show up.

In my experience they tend to show up in the same system over and over again in a lot of cases, so just figuring out where that is and building a modest defense station in the province they tend to attack first can be helpful, or just having a few small pirate hunter fleets spread around your territory to intercept them.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 am Can the pirates ever be defeated? They just keep popping up after taking them out. It is a hassle as they wipe out a system or two of mines before I can deal with them.
Nope. It's a soft encouragement to not leave unclaimed systems in the heart of your territory, but mostly to make sure you keep fleets or stations spread around your territory to defeat them when they show up.

In my experience they tend to show up in the same system over and over again in a lot of cases, so just figuring out where that is and building a modest defense station in the province they tend to attack first can be helpful, or just having a few small pirate hunter fleets spread around your territory to intercept them.
that's finally what I did. I found a system with two hyperlanes. One leading to me and one leading to another empire. I have a defensive station set up blocking my hyperlane. SO the pirates always attack me first and then flee. I assume they may be attacking into the neighboring empire. I then swoop in and wipe out their station. Rinse & repeat over and over and over and over...I just hope the other empire does not build a starbase there to end that strategy.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Unless you have the beta patch or a mod the pirates will only attack you.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Fitzy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm Unless you have the beta patch or a mod the pirates will only attack you.
huh, they do attack me at first but then they leave when it is obvious I am stronger. I do see there ship entering the other empire but i have no idea what they are doing because they disappear eventually.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

so there are mods out there that can spawn pirates for the other empires and there is a mod to turn pirates off. Apparently your empire is the only one that has to deal with pirates. I chose to turn them off.

As i was researching this I learned that the other empires on Normal setting get a 50% reduction in maintenance costs so that is why they always have fleets twice the size of mine. There is a mod that makes the other empires have the same maintenance cost as you. SO I am trying a new game with that mod. Normal difficulty should be no cheats for the AI; so Stellaris has no difficulty level where the AI does not cheat...yet.

I read where the next update supposed to add difficulty sliders to address some of this.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I’d always assumed normal meant no AI cheating too. Thanks for the info.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I wish there was a way to get my federation partner to mass his fleets "at the border" Before I declare war... instead of starting a war and then just hoping he gets there before both sides run out of steam.

Anyone know of a solution to that?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm I wish there was a way to get my federation partner to mass his fleets "at the border" Before I declare war... instead of starting a war and then just hoping he gets there before both sides run out of steam.

Anyone know of a solution to that?
Would be a nice option.

The Mod to make the AI pay the same maintenance works beautifully. Their fleets are the same size as mine now and wars are even and comes down to who maneuvers the best not who has the biggest fleet.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange that I have posted so very little in this thread. This came back on my radar due to Surviving Mars somehow. I own this game though not sure how. Ive played it a very little but need to give it a big go.
I saw there is a Starfleet mod for it.

Back 20-25 years ago this would be a dream game. I would have sat all night for months playing ti. Trying to get myself to play it now is much more difficult.

Used to be my favorite type game. I was always space and rpg until shooters grabbed me and ran off.

Maybe theres an easy mode.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:27 pm
Maybe theres an easy mode.
there is not. You will have to grab a few MODS to make it easier. Particularly the mod that makes the AI pay the same maintenance cost as you.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

The new beta patch included an Ensign mode that has minimal cheating by the AI. The example they give is gene editing being cheaper for the AI. So it might have done away with maintenance cost differences. But maybe not too.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It took 459 hours, but I finally "won".

Other notable, fun achievements in this run.

Last, Best Hope. I was John Sheridan, without the cool uniform. The War in Heaven triggered, but both were on the other side of the galaxy, so I figured I'd go it alone and keep hammering at my economy. The other species though looked to me for leadership in this time of darkness and so I formed the League of Non-Aligned Powers and led my people to victory over the ancient ones.

Does Not Compute I defeated the Contingency Crisis. This is the second Crisis I've finished. The third I don't think I've ever even seen. Prethon? Or something like that. The Contingency was fun. I'd just gotten to about 2k mineral per month when it hit. I did this through a heavy use of mineral mining robots. The Ghost in the Signal, knocks 75% of their production offline. Doh. I survived only because I had been playing with building up the League of Non-Aligned Powers Federation Fleet. It was at its full 500 naval cap. That was around 250k of fleet power that didn't cost me any maintenance. In addition, I'd handed over most of my empire to sector governors and had migration treaties with a few powers. The sector governors did not rely on robot labor as heavily as I did in my sector. Finally, I'd captured and kept one of the Ancient Power's empires. This tiny sector produced a huge amount of minerals. (The other Ancient Power went to my vassal for some reason).

With the federation fleet and my own not insignificant fleet I was able to smash the Contingency in my area. This dropped the mineral penalty and gave me a tiny bit of breathing room. Arrogant, I set out to do the same to the other areas, but I was driven back in a horrible loss. I retreated to my borders since the other three Contingency Planets all popped on the other side of the galaxy. I finished building a Dyson Sphere, which allowed me to switch my production to minerals. With my new found wealth I rebuilt the fleets and attacked. Only to lose again.

This time I studied the battle reports. Two important things stood out. Destroyers and Cruisers died fast. They seldom even escaped. So I scraped them all. Second, the Contingency shredded armor. But all of their weapons in the report were <100% effective against shields. So I rebuilt the Corvettes, Battleships and Titans with as much shielding as I could put on and scrapped their armor for increased hulls.

This time it worked. I led my scrappy Federation of unwanted aliens into battle and we destroyed the Contingency down to the last AI.

Victorious

This is where it sort of fell apart. My fleet were dominant. I couldn't be beaten, but everyone was in a damn federation. And my Empire was spread out across the galaxy. Still, I attacked the empire that was the first one I discovered in this game. It was a bitter sweet moment, their early friendship allowed me to expand in the other direction knowing I had one frontier safe. Still, they were trying to claim some of my planets and insulting me. It was time to show them the true power of the dark side, oops, wrong game. I sent 3/4 of my fleet to protect my vassal while I smashed my puny neighbors.

Once victorious I went to graciously allow them to surrender and was -900 points short. Um. What? It turns out that all federation and vassal claims count against the surrender total. So even though I'd destroyed this empire to the final planet, my vassal's claims on the entire territory of another empire meant I had to destroy them too.

So another tedious romp through a backward empire and I'm done!

Nope.

It turns out they still had hope in a third pathetic empire in their tiny Federation. Fuck. I conquered them and got the Victory.

Um. No.

I had every single planet and system in their entire Federation as far as I could tell, but I only got an occupation bonus of 95. That plus my Fleet bonus of 50 and the war weariness of 50, put me 195. I needed 200. Because surrender is -100 and demanding vassalization is another -100. So with everything conquered I still had to wait 5 ticks of war weariness to hit the final surrender. Which at that time, meant about 5-10 minutes of doing absolutely nothing.

Thoughts on 2.02

It's a lot of fun. I've put in around a bit of time with the new expansion and the latest beta. There's still work to be done. Torpedo corvettes are overpowered. Destroyers, Cruisers and especially Carriers are almost pointless. I use them because I play Stellaris as a story telling game and I love the idea of a WWII in space. This time I had to let them go to beat the Contingency, I just couldn't build enough ships to destroy them without a better build.

The strength of the game is still story telling. The "quests" are alright, but the little stories you create yourself are a blast. Fighting the Contingency while an ascended Synthetic race was fun. The savior of the galaxy, from an AI, was a human/machine combo. :horse:

The beginning is fun. Exploring. The race to claim or turtling in for the long run. The middle is kind of dull. The Khan event never spawned this time or maybe it would have been different. The end crises are fun. It's a constant struggle to bring enough firepower to the front before being overwhelmed. The War in Heaven was a lot of fun. Being the leader of a ragtag bunch of powers made me laugh. But finally blowing through the massive fleets is an accomplishment.

The game just needs some balance and something more to do in the middle than build up for the end. I'm also still holding out for some super end game post crisis thingie coming out of the middle of the galaxy.

I'll probably move on now and come back later with mods. I have a lot in my favorites that I'm curious about, but I wanted an achievement/victory run and Paradox is vicious about the rules on those. No mods, and you have to play Ironman.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Fitzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm I'd just gotten to about 2k mineral per month when it hit. I did this through a heavy use of mineral mining robots.
:shock:
Damn, best I have gotten to is about 450 per month...or is this the number before you deduct maintenance and consumer goods? I have reached 450 surplus per month.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am
Fitzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm I'd just gotten to about 2k mineral per month when it hit. I did this through a heavy use of mineral mining robots.
:shock:
Damn, best I have gotten to is about 450 per month...or is this the number before you deduct maintenance and consumer goods? I have reached 450 surplus per month.
It was my surplus before I built my navy up to 1000 naval cap and before the debuff to my synthetics. Keeping in mind that my navy was about 300 instead of the more than 1000 I could have had.

After the buildup and the debuff the surplus fluctuated between 500 and 1500k depending on the size of my navy and if the navy was docked at a crew quarters starbase. To reach that I turned the 7 planets I was managing into primarily mineral mining. The Dyson Sphere provided enough power to reach the end game. I replaced all farms with mines and all power plants with mines. That provided around 100 per planet, so around 700 for the core sector. I kept Unity and science buildings. I think the core provided another ~100 from space mines.

The conquered Ancient planets provided a huge boost as well. The sector provided over 700. A ringworld Ancient system provided the bulk though at around 1000 for that one system. One planet was a ridiculous 600.

The remaining was made up by the 7 sectors each of which provided 200-300 per month.

I had around 120 systems and 40-50 planets and habitats at the time. Mostly in sectors. I suspect micromanaging could bring even more, but handling 6-7 planets is about all I can do before going crazy.

I was running the +20% influence edict and the +33% Unity edict. The Unity one comes late in the game and isn't useful until you have all the traditions you want. Which is all of them :mrgreen:

I was also trading with the Castle people, which added 150 and was trading my massive research for as many minerals as the other powers could afford, but that was usually lump sums.

So prior to the debuff I was running Synths, which had +25% mineral production I think, with the additions I added. The two edicts, for +55%. The Mineral Processor 2, which is 20%. Plus some tech boosts which added at least 20%. Oh, the synthetic upgrade added another 5% for some governors.

Oh right, also a Unity edict that cut ship upkeep by 20%. Plus all Admirals end up with the logistics skill in my experience, which is another 20%.

It adds up.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Do you have the synthetic add-on to the game or is this the base game?

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Lassr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm Do you have the synthetic add-on to the game or is this the base game?
I have the all the add-ons. Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm not even sure anymore what is or is not in the base game.

This was also on "Captain" difficulty in the latest 2.02 beta. No mods.
Last edited by Fitzy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

As far as I'm aware synthetic races are in the base game now and can show up for anyone, but the DLC adds the ability to play as them and adds certain synthetic related events.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I wasn't synthetic from the beginning, which I think requires a special start. I wanted the achievement for "ascending" to synthetic, so used my ascension perks to become robots. I wasn't impressed with the result. It wiped the modifiers from my species and replaced them with the generic "synthetic" modifier. I thought it would be more powerful. I was able to differentiate the "human" ascended synthetic from the normal, built synthetics, but they weren't better. Just different.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

ok, thanks. I just noticed I was not opted into the Beta so I was still playing 2.01 or whatever it was.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

There’s still some big changes coming to 2.02. They are changing war weariness again. Um. Actually that’s all I remember. Wait. I think there was something about being able to force Federation members you’re at war with to surrender separately from the federation.

It’s playable now though from my perspective. War can be annoying in the late game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So with the "AI pays same maintenance" MOD I have advanced further in the game than I have since it first came out. I am currently the strongest race but I played a race that has a pacifist trait so I cannot make claims so I am starting wars only to reduce their fleet size and wear them down. I can only make claims if they start the war and they won't do it now that I have surpassed them in strength.

But at least the game is fun again

Black Lives Matter
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Surprising, I thought another change to war surrender was coming first.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bought the first expansion and the (first) cheap story line pack over the Steam Holiday sale. Started this game up since the first time from before Heinlein or even the spore pack was released. The game is unrecognizable from what I had learned. I'ma have to learn the game all over. The starting pace appears to be much slower and I don't know a ton of features and you only get hyperspace lanes and you start with nothing and you can't go to other systems until you send a science vessel and...

I think I may have to wiki study before I invest too much in relearning the the learning curve with false starts.