New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: New mouse time

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I found a program called ClickFix that can fix the problem. It'll allow the faulty mouse to work while waiting for replacement mouse. The fix will make the mouse usable but not suitable for fast faced gaming.

https://github.com/CemraJC/clickfix
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm 20 months later, the OMEN mouse is still working just fine - no problems and it's comfortable enough. i am considering taking it apart to remove/disable the red LED.
34 months from purchase (has it been almost three years now?? i guess so), some of the texturized rubber where my thumb usually rests is worn down, but the mouse still operates like new - this is how peripherals should be, compared to that Razer piece of crap that died in eight months.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Work was nice enough to buy me a Logitech MX Master 3 at my request. This one is in grey to distinguish it from my personal one in black.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am Work was nice enough to buy me a Logitech MX Master 3 at my request. This one is in grey to distinguish it from my personal one in black.
i recommended that one to my mom - she just got a new machine and was looking for a replacement mouse (all the wireless mice in their house were small travel-sized ones, and they finally came around to the fact that these were not very ergonomic) - but she said it might be 'too big' and since she couldn't try it out, she just went with the Logitech M510, which is what my dad uses now.

not sure why they insist on wireless, but whatever.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 pm Had my Logitech G502 Hero for over a year and still loving it.
G502 Hero
Wanted to give an update. Had to replace the mouse. It lasted a year. The left mouse button would not hold it's click. i.e. If I clicked and dragged trying to highlight or move something, it would unclick in the middle even though I still had the button pressed. Really got frustrating as it would take 10 attempts sometimes to highlight text I wanted to copy. After reading all the problems with Logitech and clicking issues I decided to get the Razer Basilisk Essential Gaming Mouse. So far I like it.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:31 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 pm Had my Logitech G502 Hero for over a year and still loving it.
G502 Hero
Wanted to give an update. Had to replace the mouse. It lasted a year. The left mouse button would not hold it's click. i.e. If I clicked and dragged trying to highlight or move something, it would unclick in the middle even though I still had the button pressed. Really got frustrating as it would take 10 attempts sometimes to highlight text I wanted to copy. After reading all the problems with Logitech and clicking issues I decided to get the Razer Basilisk Essential Gaming Mouse. So far I like it.
too bad, as Razer is even worse build quality
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

+1, although I do hope you're one of the people who has zero problems with Razer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, that is discouraging. Maybe I'll be lucky.

Do they make a good reliable mouse these days? Corsairs user reviews were worse than Razer and Logitech as far as percentage of 5* reviews. You read tech websites and they give Razer good reviews. Of course most of those reviews and user ratings are initial usage and not over time usage.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I loved my Razer mouse when I got it. It wasn't until it failed early that I found out 1) just how common that particular known issue was, 2) how little they cared once they got their money (the same known mouse-killing issue persisted with the reissue of that model), and 3) how terrible their customer support was. The thing is, most people have a good experience with them. They're only a problem when something goes wrong and they hang you out to dry.

Corsair, on the other hand, turned backflips trying to find a solution to a problem I had with one of their mice, and sent me a free replacement outside of warranty without me having to argue.

I'm using a Logitech right now, but I've never had a problem with it or had to use their support, so I can't comment on them in that regard.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:21 am I'm using a Logitech right now, but I've never had a problem with it or had to use their support, so I can't comment on them in that regard.
I've only ever used Logitech, this is my first time venturing outside the Logitech family. If the Razer fails I'll probably return to Logitech or try Corsair.

Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Try HyperX. The software is not that good but the hardware is great. No problem with my mouse from over 1.5 years of usage. I have one with crazy amount of LED region that can have different color and can have animating patterns but I set the LED to single dim color for my daily use.

My G502 Hero lasted about 6 months before the mouse button problem. Strangely cheaper low end Logitech mouse's button last better than the G502 Hero. I have a low end Logitech gaming mouse that is over 5 years old and still working just fine. No button click problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I like the Razer products for their function and design, but I'd agree about the build quality issues in the mice (keyboards have been rock solid in my experience). Fortunately I'm one of those people who've received good support.

I'm not a fan of the Logitech software, and hate that experience on any machine in which I've got one installed.

I do like Corsair products (especially keyboards), but right now they're all relegated to spare status for one reason or another. Depending on my setup at the new job, I think I blow the dust off the mechanical keyboard and make it my work daily driver.

Mouse hardware is pretty personal, as you do want something that's comfortable (size, weight, button location) for you personally. Any one of those three being off can really ruin an experience, even for an ostensibly good design. I give folks lots of leeway for their recommendations because of this. It may not even be a conscious thought, but folks do tend to make excuses for the products that work best for them (despite shortcomings). I think it's fair to apply that to my happiness with Razer mice.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Shameful admission: I'm using a Razer keyboard right now. Yep. I bought a Razer product.

I'd been using a full-featured Corsair that was built like a 60s land yacht and took up a huge amount of desktop real estate. When I changed how I used my mouse a while back (more than halved the sensitivity) to try and improve my accuracy in FPS games. It improved my accuracy quite a bit. At high sensitivity the area of your desk your mouse has to be in to be on target is pixel-tiny - a sixteenth of an inch can move your crosshair off target. At low sensitivity you have a lot more space to aim, meaning that your hand doesn't have to be quite as accurate for your shots to be accurate. Dropping my mouse sensitivity way down meant I had to make larger motions, requiring a lot of desk space. I bought a desk-sized mousepad (SteelSeries QcK XXL at 16"x35") and set up an arm rest extending from the desk so that the right side of my desk was completely free for my mouse. The problem was that moving my mouse left always smacked it into my keyboard because it was so large. When my son's keyboard took ill*, I took it as an opportunity. I researched TKL keyboards (Tenkeyless, ie,no numpad) that had the features I wanted, and the only one that fit my specifications and was within my budget was the Razer BlackWidow TE Chroma v2 TKL. I hesitated a long, long time because it was Razer, but there was nothing else and it had been a lot of years (7 or 8) since my run-in with Razer, so I took a chance. I gave my giant Corsair keyboard to my son (which was an upgrade for him.)

I feel dirty, and do not like the Razer software (it's pushy), nor do I trust the company, but in the year I've had it I haven't had any problems.

*My son's old keyboard was also a Corsair, one of their cheaper models. It was long past warranty, and yet a quick note to Corsair, followed by some troubleshooting and they sent us a brand new one which now serves as a backup.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:26 pm Try HyperX. The software is not that good but the hardware is great. No problem with my mouse from over 1.5 years of usage. I have one with crazy amount of LED region that can have different color and can have animating patterns but I set the LED to single dim color for my daily use.

My G502 Hero lasted about 6 months before the mouse button problem. Strangely cheaper low end Logitech mouse's button last better than the G502 Hero. I have a low end Logitech gaming mouse that is over 5 years old and still working just fine. No button click problem.
I'll add HyperX to my list.

Before I bought the G502 I had the Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse which I bought back in 2008. It lasted 12 years before the scroll wheel stopped scrolling smoothly. That is a good run. The G502 lasted 1 year exactly. Bought 1st of March 2020 and crapped out mid march 2021. The G502 makes all the top gaming mice lists I read and felt great, the razer feels great. I like mice with the thumb rest. Looks like HyperX has one also but I hope I'm lucky with the Razer. If the Razer craps out it won't be a big loss, I only paid $2 since I had $30 in Bing Amazon Awards built up.

March must be mouse month for me. Amazon says I bought the G5 back on March 1 2008.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have never tried their mice, but I use HyperX's headphones for movies/music, and they're top-notch. Goog quality, solid build.

And my Logitech G-Pro Wireless is the best gaming mouse I've owned, hands down.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

After buying/trying several mice I've settled on the RAPOO 1620. It's big, its noiseless, and its $7.99.
I bought three of them - 2 wireless, 1 wired.
I'm all set until Left-handed Lives Matter.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh geez, looks like the dreaded mouse curse has now hit me. I've had my Logitech mouse for years now, and it's actually the second time I buy this exact model, but now the clicking is intermittent. It's most noticeable if I'm holding down on the left mouse button, it's as if the click is being interrupted before it resumes again. It's a pain when I have to drag something. Sometimes it results in double clicks. I'm thinking of trying out a different brand this time around. Anyone have experience with Corsair mice? I'm looking for a wired one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you go back in the thread you'll see my wife got me a Corsair mouse and a Logitech for backup. I used the Corsair almost a year and was enjoying it but its middle button died so started using the Logitech. Still using it. They did replace my Corsair free. tested it and it worked but stayed with the Logitech.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have had great experiences with the Corsair M65 Pro. I have had two, plus each of my kids have one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yikes, that one's way overkill for what I need, plus it's $130 on Amazon. I have to think of the Canadian market price when it comes to selecting things. Thinking back on Logitech and I think I might just go with the MX518, which is only $61 in comparison.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it's a dedicated pro-quality gaming mouse, and the difference is noticeable, but it is a big investment. Mine involved a lot of saving, and the kids' were Christmas presents.

FWIW, I'm using a Logitech myself now, comparably priced (G Pro Wireless.) It is, in my opinion, the superior mouse, and the best gaming mouse I've ever used.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think that Logitech mice have been their most consistent products. They've lasted me for years. I have mixed experiences with some of their other products though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have mixed experiences with some of their other products though.
*cough*headsets*cough*speakers*cough
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, honestly I've had bad experiences with their headsets, which is why I went with a Steelseries headset the last time and I liked it so much the next time I had to buy one, I bought the same model. Their speakers, I don't have much experience with aside from their powered travel speakers. I've been using a set of Bose for what feels like forever now. My last Logitech keyboard I was disappointed with and I vowed to never buy another Logitech keyboard again. Now rocking a Corsair all-aluminum body that feels built to last.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:12 pm Yikes, that one's way overkill for what I need, plus it's $130 on Amazon. I have to think of the Canadian market price when it comes to selecting things. Thinking back on Logitech and I think I might just go with the MX518, which is only $61 in comparison.
I've been using the updated MX518 model since last year and it's really nice, feels just like how I remembered it. The only thing is the scroll wheel feels like it's made of cheap plastic, but I guess the old one kind of did too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:29 pm Yeah, honestly I've had bad experiences with their headsets, which is why I went with a Steelseries headset the last time and I liked it so much the next time I had to buy one, I bought the same model. Their speakers, I don't have much experience with aside from their powered travel speakers. I've been using a set of Bose for what feels like forever now. My last Logitech keyboard I was disappointed with and I vowed to never buy another Logitech keyboard again. Now rocking a Corsair all-aluminum body that feels built to last.
I used a Corsair keyboard for years (K70 RGB), then passed it on to my son. That thing is rock solid.

Also, another vote of confidence in SteelSeries headsets. I use an Arctis 7, and I love it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What I really like about the Steelseries headset is the usb soundcard thingy, although I don't know how common that is now, but at the time I bought my first one, it seemed no other manufacturer did that when most of the choices were with analogue input rather than usb and what's nice about this one is that it can be used either way. But I've always had lots of static and uneven sound via analogue.

Yeah, the Corsair keyboard really is rock solid. It honestly feels like the last keyboard I'd ever buy.

I went ahead and bought the MX 518.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:20 pm Ahh geez, looks like the dreaded mouse curse has now hit me. I've had my Logitech mouse for years now, and it's actually the second time I buy this exact model, but now the clicking is intermittent. It's most noticeable if I'm holding down on the left mouse button, it's as if the click is being interrupted before it resumes again. It's a pain when I have to drag something. Sometimes it results in double clicks. I'm thinking of trying out a different brand this time around. Anyone have experience with Corsair mice? I'm looking for a wired one.
One of my Logitechs is dying of the same symptoms. I'll probably just buy another Logitech. I don't use it for gaming, and it lasted a good number of years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I still swear by the Logitech MX Master 3. Even got work to expense one for me for the work laptop to replace the dinky Microsoft one they gave me years ago.

Amazon.ca says CAD$130, but the wheel is nice and weighty, and can switch between chunky roll and smooooooth spin.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sat May 22, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 pm I still swear by the Logitech MX Master 3.
I'll look at that, thanks. My company will definitely buy it for me.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I took a chance on this mouse (but for about $5 cheaper than I see it now), and I've been really happy with what it provides compared to what it cost me. I've only had it for about a week, so maybe it ends up being a clunker, but for now, my $27 mouse has been great.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a Redragon mechanical keyboard that I used on my non-gaming system for a while. It wasn't feature-packed, but it was solid.

Also, is it dragoning again, or is it a ragon that is red?
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:22 pm Also, is it dragoning again, or is it a ragon that is red?
My understanding is that they are wrestlers. The world is confusing nowadays.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Got my new mouse delivered tonight (the MX518) and I'm rather underwhelmed. I have small hands and it feels a little oversized for me, but mind you I never used the original version of this mouse. The outershell is mostly made up of glossy plastic and seems to stick to the skin. It's not like the soft rubber coating of my MX 500, which I might go back to if I can find another one locally when the stores open back up. Another issue is the wheel. With the MX500, I had the option between free-scrolling and friction modes, while this one only has friction which has me bummed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 pm I still swear by the Logitech MX Master 3.
Any other opinions on this mouse? I want a really good not-gaming mouse (I do some light graphics editing and a ton of text editing) and I'll spend $100 if that's what it costs, but the Amazon reviews aren't glowing. An Isg review is worth 1,000 Amazon reviews, but why is this mouse worth $100?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Solid mouse wheel that can be colicky or not, a thumb button that makes switching programs easy, forward and back (or configurable) buttons, and a horizontal scroll wheel.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Good mouse wheels are underrated. My previous mouse wheel was amazing. It just seems these manufacturers don't count a good mouse wheel as a feature. The mouse wheel on the MX 518 makes me hesitate whenever I click the wheel. It doesn't feel great and makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong to it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 am
Any other opinions on this mouse? I want a really good not-gaming mouse (I do some light graphics editing and a ton of text editing) and I'll spend $100 if that's what it costs, but the Amazon reviews aren't glowing. An Isg review is worth 1,000 Amazon reviews, but why is this mouse worth $100?
Treat yourself to a decent trackball mouse. You won't be sorry.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 am Good mouse wheels are underrated. My previous mouse wheel was amazing. It just seems these manufacturers don't count a good mouse wheel as a feature. The mouse wheel on the MX 518 makes me hesitate whenever I click the wheel. It doesn't feel great and makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong to it.
I've been using MX510 for years now. I have 2 of them - one for personal computer, one for work. The one used for the personal computer (gaming) - the scrolling wheel doesn't click properly anymore. It will register sometimes but only when the wheel is in some specific position (it's friction scrolling). So I switched the two, so I use the with the broken wheel for work. I also try to map all my gaming stuff now so it uses the wheel click as little as possible.

I've tried using a Havic vertical mouse, which helped with some wrist overuse pain issues on the outside of the wrist but cause other pain issues on the inside. So I'm mostly just sticking with the Logitechs.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 am
I use the MX Master 3 on my work rig and I've been very happy with it.