[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I really wish they had ended season 1 differently.
Spoiler:
They should've just had Picard die - would've been much more powerful and a way to hand the torch to a new group, especially since the way that they had him not die was so silly. I wonder if they'll deus ex machina that away via Q.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am It's been renewed for season 3. I kind of hope when/if Stewart does decide to hang it up that they allow these characters to live on, perhaps bolstered by the addition of other alumni to the crew. But that seems pretty unlikely when the show's called Picard.
They could always kill him off and rename the ship the Picard.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

And have Stewart voice the computer. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:56 am

Well... I have deeply conflicting feelings about this. Right now they're mostly... disgruntled. But I hope I'll enjoy it.

The plot seems to recycle a lot of on-the-nose tropes. World transformed into a totalitarian hellscape? (Oh how timely?) Travelling back in time to the present day? (I mean, I guess it hasn't been done for a while at least.)

But I'll excuse it all for Picard getting crochety on Q.
Pretty much my feeling as well. A big thing making me feel this way is in the aesthetic of the series. Sure, it may have the characters, but it doesn't look or feel like Trek very much. And if it weren't for the characters, it would all be very generic. And I see that's something they haven't fixed with Season 2. It's like a Trek series that isn't able to use its common aesthetics due to rights issues or some such. There literally isn't anything drawing me to the series beyond the characters, which is an odd thing to say about Trek and with its rich history. And look, they're going to the 21st Century, which likely was easier on their budget. On the other hand, it could lead to some 'Double-Dumbass on You' moments which is one of my favourite parts of STIV. Even with these characters, though, I feel that may not be enough.

When Picard was announced, I thought we'd finally get something a little more intellectual given his nature, but instead I feel it's been quite the opposite. It's a series that makes me feel rather empty, like they're going nowhere with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Suddenly realized that Season 4 of Discovery had started - episode 1 of the new season is up. Didn't know that was imminent. I do enjoy the show quite a bit, so nice to have it back.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I got a cheap year subscription to CBS a while back during a sale they had and have been anxiously awaiting the new season. The show has its faults, but it still adheres to the core beliefs of the Star Trek franchise. The last season was an interesting departure and I'm curious where they're going to go now.

Although to be honest, I'm more anxious for the new Captain Pike series. Anson Mount was born to play that character. That one promises to be more like TOS in many ways.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I canceled Paramount a few weeks ago, intending to re-up after the whole season of Discovery is in the can. Hopefully they'll have some Picard and/or Lower Decks by then, too.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Season 2 of Lower Decks has already aired in its entirety.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I feel bad for those in international markets where Discovery in its entirety was pulled from Netflix at practically the last minute and delayed to 2022 in order to be on Paramount+.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bah, they do not deserve Star Trek! I don't give a timbit.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It is simply too bad that international Star Trek fans, who are disproportionately likely to be familiar with technology basics, will have no way at all to see Star Trek Discovery before 2022. They will no doubt collectively shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, I will just have to wait another year and pay money to Paramount before I can access these episodes which are available in other countries."
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:15 pm It is simply too bad that international Star Trek fans, who are disproportionately likely to be familiar with technology basics, will have no way at all to see Star Trek Discovery before 2022. They will no doubt collectively shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, I will just have to wait another year and pay money to Paramount before I can access these episodes which are available in other countries."
A real cryin' shame, that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For a reasonable fee, I'm open to international viewers calling me and I'll describe each new episode over the phone.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm For a reasonable fee, I'm open to international viewers calling me and I'll describe each new episode over the phone.
How much do you propose paying them?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I'm paying them, they're getting me drunk. I hope they like stories about Klapons and their fight with Captain Smirk.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm For a reasonable fee, I'm open to international viewers calling me and I'll describe each new episode over the phone.
Do you call that the 'Read'em and Weep' service? :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, that’s my love advice line. :(

By the way, watched the season 4 opener. That was straight up TNG level Star Trek.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Definitely enjoying this season, especially last week's episode on the rogue Vulcan (Nevarran?) monk soldier. The strength of the show continues to be the character depth and the individual episodes (the broader story arcs tend to be a little weaker and occasionally silly IMO).

I was really amused when a couple episodes ago they snuck in a fix for the massive plot hole that the ending of S1 of Picard created:
Spoiler:
When they're putting Adira's friend into an android body, they explain that it wasn't widely used after Picard because people couldn't get it to work consistently (for some unexplained reason) hence we don't need to worry about the show accidentally inventing immortality.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:59 am Definitely enjoying this season, especially last week's episode on the rogue Vulcan (Nevarran?) monk soldier. The strength of the show continues to be the character depth and the individual episodes (the broader story arcs tend to be a little weaker and occasionally silly IMO).

I was really amused when a couple episodes ago they snuck in a fix for the massive plot hole that the ending of S1 of Picard created:
Spoiler:
When they're putting Adira's friend into an android body, they explain that it wasn't widely used after Picard because people couldn't get it to work consistently (for some unexplained reason) hence we don't need to worry about the show accidentally inventing immortality.
I noticed and appreciated that spoilered line, too.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This season is much more TNG than previous ones.

I also think it was ingenious to make the show about rebuilding the Federation in a far future that has all but forgotten what it stood for. It allows them to introduce the spirit of Star Trek to a generation of viewers that have been raised on cynicism and anti heroes, without dumbing it down or just rehashing old stories for the old timers.

However, the lack of Tig Nataro this season is seriously pissing me off. Also, why she doesn’t have her own Star Trek spin-off (preferably with Stamets) is something I just don’t understand.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Star Trek is finally getting a new game.

Cheers to Hepcat's cheerful devotion for making it happen :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would much rather prefer a reboot of the Starfleet Command games.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:49 pm This season is much more TNG than previous ones.

I also think it was ingenious to make the show about rebuilding the Federation in a far future that has all but forgotten what it stood for. It allows them to introduce the spirit of Star Trek to a generation of viewers that have been raised on cynicism and anti heroes, without dumbing it down or just rehashing old stories for the old timers.

However, the lack of Tig Nataro this season is seriously pissing me off. Also, why she doesn’t have her own Star Trek spin-off (preferably with Stamets) is something I just don’t understand.
Yeah I agree. In some ways moving the show to the future helped address one of the fundamental issues with the show - that the Spore Drive was a little too magical and out of place with a show set in the Star Trek "past". And it helped make the show about, well, discovery.

But yeah, definitely want more Tig. Also bummed that Tilly is semi-leaving, though articles seem to suggest it won't be permanent. And I don't love Adira's character, done in the "young super genius" mold.

But those are nits on a solid season so far. I also like that the main "big bad" is something scientific / mysterious.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:22 am I would much rather prefer a reboot of the Starfleet Command games.
Everybody probably would, but there haven't been Trek games on the market in so long, I consider this dipping their toes back into the market to see if there's any interest to follow up with something of Starfleet Command's nature.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:41 pm Also bummed that Tilly is semi-leaving, though articles seem to suggest it won't be permanent. And I don't love Adira's character, done in the "young super genius" mold.

But those are nits on a solid season so far. I also like that the main "big bad" is something scientific / mysterious.
I hate that I don’t like Tilly that much. But she fell into the role of Wesley Crusher over time, and Adira is already supposed to be that character. Although I’d much rather Gray take their place.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:02 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:41 pm Also bummed that Tilly is semi-leaving, though articles seem to suggest it won't be permanent. And I don't love Adira's character, done in the "young super genius" mold.

I hate that I don’t like Tilly that much. But she fell into the role of Wesley Crusher over time, and Adira is already supposed to be that character. Although I’d much rather Gray take their place.
Tilly's one of my favorite characters on the show, probably only after Ceru. Hard to say why, but I think the actress who plays her does a great job just giving her a ton of personality (and she probably has the best chemistry with Michael on the show. Whereas Adira seems much more in the Wesley Crusher "young person who comes up with magical scientific solutions as we're repeatedly told what a genius they are" mold.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The latest episode was pure Star Trek. The fan service was fun. They mentioned the Metrons, Iconians(including a reference that there were only a few of them) and the Q Consortium at one point. And the ships named after Janeway and the English band T’Pau made appearances.

But more importantly, the story was all about service to the greater good…even when that good is questionable. Classic TNG stuff, if you ask me. They’ve really found their voice this season, I must say.

Also..Reno! <squeal>

Oh, and I’ll watch anything made by or featuring David Cronenberg.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And the last episode before the break (returning in February) continues to impress me with its adherence to Next Gen sensibilities. The story of Zora is basically The Measure of a Man.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Didn’t someone just complain about sci-fi shows ripping off stories from other media?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, and I will continue to do so if it's been done a hundred times before. The Measure of a Man is a) a Star Trek story being reexamined in a Star Trek show (not "other media", by the way), b) not something done repeatedly by writers when they've run out of ideas. I can think of at least a dozen instances of Groundhog's Day being retold without having to spend much brain power recalling them. And in only a couple of those instances did the writer bring anything new to the formula.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Redacted
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I removed that part and took it to a PM.

update: mommy and daddy have talked and we're not getting a divorce. :D

...although we still want someone else to take Zarathud. He's just not the right fit for our family.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat, you'll always be the wind beneath my chaps.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...seriously, can ANYONE take zarathud off our hands? We'll even toss in a travel cage.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:51 am I can think of at least a dozen instances of Groundhog's Day being retold without having to spend much brain power recalling them.
I can handle the Groundhog Days. What I deeply despise are the Cuckoo Nest episodes (An episode where the whole reality of the show is questioned, and then it's left ambiguous at the end whether it is just the main character being delusional - see Total Recall.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hear you. In a similar vein, if I ever see the words "psychological thriller" in a show's description, I know I'm probably about to see the 2,302nd retelling of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. It was clever about 130 years ago. Now? Not so much.

But I do wish that writers who decide to yet again include a time loop story in their show a la Groundhog's Day, would take some time to at least TRY to add something new to that. 90 percent of the time, they don't. And it just gets tiresome. We get it: the participant or participants are going to repeat the same time frame over and over again until they either learn to better themselves or cause a big enough explosion/event to end it.

Anyway, the Zora episode that just aired recently was a fine example of Star Trek being good old Star Trek. It really leaned into the "To seek out new life" tagline in a meaningful manner.

More importantly though, the clips for the show's return in February promise more Reno. :wub:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:30 am And the last episode before the break (returning in February) continues to impress me with its adherence to Next Gen sensibilities. The story of Zora is basically The Measure of a Man.
It was fine, but honestly not one of my favorites from this season. One of the gripes that I do have with Discovery is that sometimes it just throws a whole ton of big swings that don't all seem to make a ton of sense in rapid fashion, in a "sure that might as well happen" way.
Spoiler:
Like here, I feel like the Zora and DMA plots should've been separate episodes. The Zora stuff jumps so quickly from "wait WTF is Zora?" to "hold on Zora could literally kill all of us at any moment on a whim or start a war" to "everyone except for Stamets is ok with that, and Stamet's fears are borderline prejudice" to "we've now accepted a full life form who is a computer and now somehow also part of Starfleet". It'd kind of like Measure of a Man, but if Data was also just invented at the start of the episode.

Also the DMA plotline jumps so rapidly from "hey maybe we can contact the unknown aliens here" to "wait sketchy scientist guy has a secret weapon that'll destroy the DMA" to the ethical concerns to "ok now we have literally only two approaches and we have to vote on only those two". And hey, all of the sudden sketchy scientist guy is from another dimension and by the by has now invented a portable mushroom universe travel device which works perfectly. Sure, that might as well happen too. And like, did no one really want to take time to make sure that we understand sketchy scientist guy's weapon? Or to make sure that we understand the impact of setting off this weapon inside this giant mobile artificial black hole thing? Oh and by the way we also have a Star Trek multiverse not just two mirror universes.

It's not that any of these plot points are bad, it's that it all felt way too rushed for the significance of everything that was happening.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

But also in addition to David Cronenberg (who really is great), can I also say that I love the guy who plays Admiral Vance too? Not totally sure what it is about why I love the character & portrayal, but he just nails the Admiral as a hard nose no nonsense guy with a hint of traditional Federation idealism.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't argue against your points. We did get a lot of big stories condensed into one episode, as you point out. And yes, I wish they had split them up and given them their own episode or even arcs. But I can forgive them for being ambitious as long as they don't completely shoot themselves in the foot.

Also, they don't have the 25 or 26 episodes a season that previous Star Trek shows have had, so I tend to give them a little more leeway in light of that
Spoiler:
Story wise, I loved the Zora arc. She's (?) been gradually gaining sentience throughout this and the previous season. I figured they'd deal with it at some point. And while her assessment with (the always great) David Cronenberg's character did seem somewhat abrupt and perfunctory, I appreciate that they bothered to include an opposing viewpoint and a warning about how dangerous it could be to let a sentient AI incorporate itself into a ship completely, instead of just going with "cool, new ship AI is sentient!".

As for alien scientist story, I think they've done a better job of drawing that one out a bit more. It's still faster than I'd like, sure. But I went a little giddy when they brought up isolytic subspace weapons. He could be a disguised Son'a, or even a Ba'ku. That or the partner he's trying to rejoin could be. I just love that Discovery is willing to incorporate Star Trek history into the show. And not just any history, but some of the more obscure stuff.

p.s. Ruon Tarka doesn't say he's from a different dimension. He says his partner went to one and he wants to join him. Although that could all be a misdirect on his part.

And Admiral Vance? There's very little Oded Fehr can't do when inhabiting a character. He's a really good actor. And he incorporates the ideas and virtue of Starfleet almost perfectly.

Now, it's my hope that we're going to find out that either the Thasians (they created Charlie X) or one of the other TOS god like races is behind the DMA.
He won. Period.