[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:18 am I just want a Captain Shran series.
What happened to that series you proposed last year? "Captain Guapo: Alien Lover", I think it was called? The episode titles seemed to follow a theme.

episode 1: so many alien ladies, so little time
episode 2: captain guapo goes green...and blue, purple and mauve
episode 3: welcome to pleasure city. population: you
episode 4: one small step for man, one dose of penicillin for guapo.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:38 am Image
Episode 5: Captain Guapo Tastes the Rainbow
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 am
What happened to that series you proposed last year? "Captain Guapo: Alien Lover", I think it was called? The episode titles seemed to follow a theme.

It's been held up due to an IP issue. As you know it's central to the Captain Guapo character that he have a Gilk Cow on the bridge at all times, since Captain Guapo sustains himself on nothing but gilk. But Lucasfilm won't even give me a limited IP license on the Gilk Cow, the stingy bastards. :x

Also you never wrote back to me on the Captain Guapo / Paste Pot Pete multiverse crossover episode.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You mean "Paste Pot Pete: No One Wants Him to Come Home"?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 am You mean "Paste Pot Pete: No One Wants Him to Come Home"?
That's the one. The multiverse is so hot right now! We could make a fortune.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a two hour movie with Triple P just opening portals, then you hear someone off screen shout at him, then they play the sad Christmas Time is Here song from Charlie Brown and he wonders off with his head down to another portal.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:46 pm It's a two hour movie with Triple P just opening portals, then you hear someone off screen shout at him, then they play the sad Christmas Time is Here song from Charlie Brown and he wonders off with his head down to another portal.
I have a note. How about 3P fires paste through the portal and we are shown how that changes history. For example, Hitler is pasted to the table during the Munich bomb plot, gets blown up, and Red Skull ascends to power. Endless What If? fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like it, I like it! Can you be in Peoria by Friday for our first writer's meeting?

Side note: completely off topic, but this discussion reminds me of a great Sarah Silverman Show episode in which her dog Doug travels back in time and kills Hitler. The headline they throw up on the screen for a fake Austrian newspaper reads "World's Ugliest Dog Kills Art Student".

God I loved that show.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:18 am Q always annoyed me more than anything else. The "space gods" I WISH they'd bring back are the Douwd (one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek), Trelane and his parents and maybe the creatures that gave Charlie Edwards his powers.

Although it's possible the last two are just Q's people.
I don't know if you've read Peter David's Q-Squared, but in that novel, it's hypothesized that Trelane was a Q at a child level. One of my favourite Trek novels, as it deals with multiple timelines.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:18 am Q always annoyed me more than anything else. The "space gods" I WISH they'd bring back are the Douwd (one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek), Trelane and his parents and maybe the creatures that gave Charlie Edwards his powers.

Although it's possible the last two are just Q's people.
I don't know if you've read Peter David's Q-Squared, but in that novel, it's hypothesized that Trelane was a Q at a child level. One of my favourite Trek novels, as it deals with multiple timelines.
That was one of the 'good' Trek novels*. It not only did that, but it managed to not make the timey-wimey stuff obtuse.

*Good Trek novels. There have been hundreds of Trek novels. The majority were speed written pulp crap, the same as most novels in any other sprawling, multi-author setting (D&D novels come to mind.) But there were a few that were fantastic. Quite a few of them (but not all) were identifiable by also having hardback releases rather than just the mass-market paperbacks (although hardback wasn't a guarantee, either...)

Q-Squared comes to mind. Imzadi. The Garak novel. Spock's World. Q-In-Law. It's been many, many years (decades) since I've read one, but there were some that were actually worth the time.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, agreed with all those that you listed. There were very few that managed to push the boundaries into what I'd actually call literature. They weren't just good Trek novels, but actually well-written sci-fi. The Garak novel, A Stitch in Time was amazing and one of my absolute favourites.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love Peter Davids novels but I totally disagree with Trelane as a Q. He needed tech for his powers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:35 pm I love Peter Davids novels but I totally disagree with Trelane as a Q. He needed tech for his powers.
Yeah, it's been twenty... five? years since I've read any of them. I don't remember if that was addressed.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed May 11, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:43 am
hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 am

It's been held up due to an IP issue. As you know it's central to the Captain Guapo character that he have a Gilk Cow on the bridge at all times, since Captain Guapo sustains himself on nothing but gilk. But Lucasfilm won't even give me a limited IP license on the Gilk Cow, the stingy bastards. :x

Also you never wrote back to me on the Captain Guapo / Paste Pot Pete multiverse crossover episode.
episode 6: Riders on the Gorn
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:51 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:35 pm I love Peter Davids novels but I totally disagree with Trelane as a Q. He needed tech for his powers.
Yeah, it's been twenty... five? years since I've read any of them. I don't remember if that was addressed.
I think it was. I think it was that because he was in a childlike stage, and needed technology to enhance his powers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:
episode 6: Riders on the Gorn
Episode 7: Prisoner of Deep Space 9
Episode 8: So Speaks the Tailor
Episode 9: The Doctor is In
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

FYI, Paramount has posted the full first episode of STRANGE NEW WORLDS to YouTube:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watched bits and pierces. Dont want to watch it then not watch the show. But looked really great. The effects, set, costumes, sound, characters, all brought back the feel of Star Trek...great looking show and ep. Im also glad it doesn't make everyone bad people and enemies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Random Star Trek related question. It occurred to me recently that while my kids have had a ton of exposure to Star Wars, they haven't really been exposed to Star Trek. Which leads to the question - what's the best thing to show my kids to give them at least a basic intro to Star Trek?

My first instinct is to show them The Undiscovered Country. Good movie, good story, gives a flavor of the universe. But maybe there's a TOS and TNG episode that would be a better intro?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First Contact. Or mayb The Best of Both Worlds followed by First Contact.

It's got the kind of action film appeal that can draw a new viewer in better than a more cerebral Trek-like episode (like Darmok) would.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I dunno if I'd really start with First Contact. That movie and its in-jokes work better when you have knowledge of the characters and their world. I'd maybe go with Wrath of Kahn followed by Voyage Home.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:16 pm My first instinct is to show them The Undiscovered Country. Good movie, good story, gives a flavor of the universe. But maybe there's a TOS and TNG episode that would be a better intro
If that's your instinct, I'd go with it. The fact that it's an entry you value will improve the experience.

I don't think I'd recommend First Contact myself. It's an independently enjoyable film with a lot to see, but "Picard the action hero" is a pretty major divergence from the TNG series character. I guess it might do a decent job of inspiring interest, but I don't believe it represents the franchise very well overall.

There are really two paths: TOS or TNG. Obviously you're looking for a single movie/episode and will let things evolve from there, but if I had the luxury of planning something broader: Are your kids (I don't pay enough attention to know their ages) already culturally aware of the characters of Kirk and Spock? Watch Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and Journey Home followed by Undiscovered Country. Or if they're completely blind to Star Trek, first look up a couple "best TOS episodes" lists and handpick whatever you have time for--1, 3, 5 episodes or whatever. This is if you think they'll have the attention span for the pacing and alternatively stilted/hammy acting, but this is where you can threaten to revoke various privileges.

Then, do the same for TNG... watch the best of the best/most relevant episodes (e.g. Best of Both Worlds). Or whatever you remember liking the most. I was always a big fan of the puzzle/time loop episodes. I respect the classics now, but they're not what got me into either series. I'm the weirdo who will tell you to watch Masks. You can of course skip TOS entirely and begin with TNG. But given how foundational it is, I'd only consider it if you're sure they won't go for TOS.

Then watch Generations to tie the two series together (still my favourite despite its flaws), and move on to First Contact if you wish. That's it. That's all the Star Trek anyone needs to see. (Sure DS9 is amazing but it's a hell of a commitment.) They will understand 90% of cultural references and be able to interface with geeks and nerds whether or not they're of their ilk. And while I myself am childless, I imagine that's one of the major goals of parenting.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A little late, but I finally got to Picard's season finale.
Spoiler:
I thought it was a pretty good episode. But you know, it felt so much like they'd written the beginning and the ending of the season first, then had trouble filling the season with an actual coherent story. So much of the season is meandering, and so much of it makes little sense. Normally, the journey in getting to the end would be half the fun, but it's pretty telling that you could remove most of the episodes, and it'd feel like you aren't missing all that much. Really should have been a 3 or 4-parter. Dial in the key points and it'd be stronger for it.

- Did enjoy seeing Wesley, though it's funny how Wheaton had said he wasn't asked.
- Soji or whatever her name was this time around, I forgot she had even been in this season. Doesn't sound like she really needed to be, given how much of a reduced role she had.
- Speaking of which, I was really confused how Wesley had managed to communicate with her to tell her where to be, as the thing right before that, she had sent her "Dad" a voice message through the same interface. I thought that was quite poorly communicated to the viewer.
- Seven/Raffi kiss came out of nowhere. No precedence to it whatsoever.
- Q dying and sending them off was quite a nice bittersweet scene. But again, it underscores the reasoning behind why they needed to be sent back in the first place. And how did he get his powers back? Have a feeling they had more filmed with him, but ended up cutting most of it, given how little he ended up in it.
-Jurati/Borg Queen is now a CareBorg? That is such a departure of past Borg behavior that it doesn't ring true. It feels like they've fallen back on a Voyager level Borg as compared to the TNG/First Contact borg. Friends? :roll: *sigh*
Now I kind of want a Captain's Table series. I know there were some rumors of something like that. Have Guinan back in a version of Ten Forward that has a doorway that links up to all the Trek timelines. Each episode would have a character walk in through the door and tell Guinan a story, setting the scene for their adventure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 am A little late, but I finally got to Picard's season finale.
Spoiler:

They actually did cover this a few times. It was heavily implied early on in season 2 that they were in a relationship/coming out of a relationship.

-Jurati/Borg Queen is now a CareBorg? That is such a departure of past Borg behavior that it doesn't ring true. It feels like they've fallen back on a Voyager level Borg as compared to the TNG/First Contact borg. Friends? :roll: *sigh*

I actually was okay with most of that, as I mentioned very early on (I think right after episode 1 of season 2 aired) that the concept of a Borg faction trying to join Starfleet was interesting to me. I could have done without the whole Jurati mingling with the Borg Queen on a psychic level crap though.
But yeah, not a good season overall. At all.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:08 pm
Spoiler:

They actually did cover this a few times. It was heavily implied early on in season 2 that they were in a relationship/coming out of a relationship.
Spoiler:
Huh, I just took that to be a bit of random comment, much like most of the show has felt, rather than anything concrete. I kind of stopped taking much of anything in this show too seriously.
Spoiler:
I actually was okay with most of that, as I mentioned very early on (I think right after episode 1 of season 2 aired) that the concept of a Borg faction trying to join Starfleet was interesting to me. I could have done without the whole Jurati mingling with the Borg Queen on a psychic level crap though.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I see what you mean. But it's mostly in the way it was executed that felt entirely unsatisfying, and the behavior comes off feeling hamfisted and not genuine at all. The entire way the Borg Queen was handled this season has been pretty bad, in a world where the Borg from First Contact were made more threatening to offset the way they were handled in Voyager.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
Also like, they're concerned about making sure to gather every little piece of technology in order to avoid causing timeline issues, but they're all fine with the Jurati Borg Queen taking a 24th century starship to go around (voluntarily) assimilating people back in the 21st century?

Also, it seems like somehow the Federation didn't know about this new touchy feely Borg collective until the Jurati Queen shows up in episode 1?

And like, Jurati didn't think it would be a better idea to hail Picard rather than to start by taking over everyone's ships forcibly?

I mean, whatever. I suppose the show hit "sure, that might as well happen" territory by episode 3 or 4 at the latest.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Spoiler:
Yeah, it's the sign of a badly plotted/badly written series that seems to be making it up as it goes along.

Also, how did Picard suddenly get a change of heart about the Borg Queen? Just because? I mean, he could have been completely wrong and the Queen could have doubled-down. At that point, which is the same point as the first episode, the viewer has no reason to believe otherwise. This is an example of the writing we've come to expect this season. And being that season 3 was filmed back-to-back, I don't expect them to have learned their decision.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know what I want in season 3? A Borg Tribble. Now that I've thought it up, I won't rest until I get this. Fan fiction...AWAY! Let the adventures of Lo-cute-us begin…
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:52 pm You know what I want in season 3? A Borg Tribble. Now that I've thought it up, I won't rest until I get this. Fan fiction...AWAY! Let the adventures of Lo-cute-us begin…
I mean, when you're at the point where the Borg Queen has a musical number followed up by eating car batteries, you might as well throw in a bunch of other amusing garbage while you're at it.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don’t piss off Lo-cute-as. You’ll make him….furry-ious.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

….wait…”garbage”? :angry-tappingfoot:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a Borg Tribble in Star Trek Online .I have one.

So in all this where are the time police? You know those guys from the future who come back in their time ships and make things right.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Gary’s looking for his damn cat.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:41 pm ….wait…”garbage”? :angry-tappingfoot:
Look, I think the fans agree that anything that doesn't star Captain Guapo is hot garbage.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 10: Set Phasers...to FUN!
Episode 11: Charlie XXX
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 pm Episode 10: Set Phasers...to FUN!
Episode 11: Charlie XXX
Honestly, I can't understand why Paramount hasn't ordered multiple seasons yet.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I suspect some of the casting choices might have something to do with that. Mark Wahlberg really isn't cutting it as an elderly Gowron.

"I will die with honor! Oh, hey, say hi to your mother for me."
He won. Period.