[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

As I wrote, I'd rather have a few shows that work on the air and a few that don't, than nothing at all. Right now, the only travesty in my opinion is Picard.
And yeah, while the Pike series does look good, we still don't know if it will be. Picard initially looked good via the trailers, but look at the disappointment it caused. I just don't know if I could stand another disappointment in Trek at this point.
You never know if anything is going to be good until it happens. I'd rather not spend my time on Earth not wanting to watch or do anything because it might suck. :wink:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

STRANGE NEW WORLDS is the only new Trek I've been interested in in years. I love the TOS Federation setting when Klingons and Romulans were clever enemies and the mysteries were planets away rather than down in the holodeck. Maybe I'm still just a Cold War kid at heart.

I hope it's all played straight rather than indulging in time-jumps and the Mirror Universe. There's plenty of drama to be had in a setting where the limits of politics, exploration, and economics matter as much as they always have on Earth.

(To be fair, a huge amount of my Trek experience in my teens was about playing STAR FLEET BATTLES. This explains why my favorite TOS episode is "Balance of Terror.")
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

My only worry about Strange New Worlds is Goldsman (edit: sp) as the showrunner. I don't think that his involvement is necessarily fatal. If it truly uses the TOS format then the continuity and story arc plotting very well might take a back seat. Besides, TOS had it's share of dumb plots but generally was a whole better than its parts. I hope that is how this will go.
Last edited by malchior on Mon May 02, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:04 pm (To be fair, a huge amount of my Trek experience in my teens was about playing STAR FLEET BATTLES. This explains why my favorite TOS episode is "Balance of Terror.")
Man, I loved that game. :wub:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:30 pm
Holman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:04 pm (To be fair, a huge amount of my Trek experience in my teens was about playing STAR FLEET BATTLES. This explains why my favorite TOS episode is "Balance of Terror.")
A remake of STARFLEET COMMAND with *all* the SFB rules and *all* the eras faithfully represented is my dream game.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember when I stopped playing the rule books already numbered in the dozens with hundreds of pages. But I still loved it for its exacting detail. It was basically for space games what Panzer was for WW2 games.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

malchior wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:25 pm My only worry about Strange New Worlds is Goldsman (edit: sp) as the showrunner. I don't think that his involvement is necessarily fatal. If it truly uses the TOS format then the continuity and story arc plotting very well might take a back seat. Besides, TOS had it's share of dumb plots but generally was a whole better than its parts. I hope that is how this will go.
From what I understand, the stories themselves will be episodic in nature, but the characters will have character arcs tying things together. That's what early reviews are stating.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What they need is their version of a Baby Yoda to sell toys and bring in the younger crowd! Maybe a cute, talking tribble named Sven?
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Picard S2 E10:
Spoiler:
What a load of horseshit.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
geezer

Post by geezer »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:14 am Picard S2 E10:
Spoiler:
Kinda. But SNW premiere was very good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooh, good to hear. Watching tonight!

Update: Strange New Worlds is good so far. I think it’s going to make a lot of classic Trek fans happy.
Spoiler:
The one thing that I thought would be difficult is watching this show while already knowing Pike’s fate. But the writers added a twist that I think works quite well…Pike is ALSO aware he’s going to die, having seen his death after an encounter on the Klingon home world ( the reason for this was actually explained on Discovery a while back….at least the mechanics of it). This makes it possible for us to know about Pike’s fate while also watching him deal with it. We get to deal with it alongside him, essentially.

And the show just oozes Star Trek. It may be a bit fancier, and I disliked Nurse Chapel now being a geneticist who can change people’s appearances, but it still captures the feel of Star Trek quite well. Mount was born to play Pike, I think. He’s just great at it.

There were a few moments that felt cheesy. The tie in to Discovery and zero point was a bit much as I don’t see how you could “reverse engineer” warp technology from just seeing warp ships via a telescope, but they may have had other surveillance tech they didn’t mention. I’m willing to overlook that kind of thing as the show finds its footing.

The ending may feel heavy handed to some. But honestly, they did it in such a Star Trek way that I felt it was a hopeful message that worked.

I’m looking forward to this one now. It certainly helps wash the taste of Picard out of my mouth.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri May 06, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sudy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:14 am Picard S2 E10:
Spoiler:
That's a good summary for the season.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, re: Picard:
Spoiler:
What did people make of the Wesley Crusher appearance? It was nice to see him, and to get an update of sorts on the travelers. But at the same time...why was he appearing now? What was his interest in whatsherface?
Why did he want her specifically to be a traveler?

Also, why should I care about any of it?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you for the spoiler tags and identifying the show. ;)

Nothing is more useless than an unlabeled spoiler tag in a thread about multiple shows!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
raydude

Post by raydude »

Holman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:46 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:30 pm
A remake of STARFLEET COMMAND with *all* the SFB rules and *all* the eras faithfully represented is my dream game.
Yes! SFB fans represent! Stephen Cole, who was one of the original designers of SFB went on to design Federation Commander, a more streamlined version. I bought it, but like most games, I find myself with no one to play it with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been thinking of a Starfleet Command II replay. I usually liked to play the Gorn.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:34 pm Thank you for the spoiler tags and identifying the show. ;)

Nothing is more useless than an unlabeled spoiler tag in a thread about multiple shows!
It's almost as bad as having one called "Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate, BSG...." :P
Covfefe!
geezer

Post by geezer »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am Also, re: Picard:
Spoiler:
What did people make of the Wesley Crusher appearance? It was nice to see him, and to get an update of sorts on the travelers. But at the same time...why was he appearing now? What was his interest in whatsherface?
Why did he want her specifically to be a traveler?

Also, why should I care about any of it?
Spoiler:
Absolutely no idea. That was the most random thing ever, and the tone sounded like something out of a TV commercial. Sure - nice to have the update, but it was *weird*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:16 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:34 pm Thank you for the spoiler tags and identifying the show. ;)

It's almost as bad as having one called "Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate, BSG...." :P
I agree - it's the Sci-Fi Show Randomness thread.

What would be even better, though, are threads entitled "Discovery", "Picard", etc. We used to have multiple threads for every show, book, and game, dozens if it was popular. Now people are terrified if two vaguely related topics aren't combined into a meta thread. We're using OO like Discord.

Still, labeled spoilers are a nice compromise.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh, I guess I don’t get that worked up over it. I don’t have any issues understanding what people are talking about as they normally include the name, or it’s obvious what they’re talking about from previous posts immediately before.

But if it will keep your blood pressure down, I will create a new thread every time I want to discuss a new topic.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think it makes sense to have a different thread for each "major" show that considerable chatter is expected for. There's already a Strange New Worlds thread. I asked for opinions before beginning Picard season two discussion in this thread, but the consensus seemed to be that no one cared as long as there was sufficient labelling. Since we'd already discussed the first season here, I opted to continue on for continuity's sake.

I kind of hate that many shows are discussed in the Netflix/Prime/Hulu/etc. threads these days. Often they get buried since there are so many new shows. Also since I'm in Canada we have quite a few shows that pop up on different services and I don't know where to look. (But forum search usually works.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:31 pm Meh, I guess I don’t get that worked up over it.
Mildly annoyed at best. Just mildly annoyed with enough free time to enjoy the banter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:55 pm I think it makes sense to have a different thread for each "major" show that considerable chatter is expected for. There's already a Strange New Worlds thread. I asked for opinions before beginning Picard season two discussion in this thread, but the consensus seemed to be that no one cared as long as there was sufficient labelling. Since we'd already discussed the first season here, I opted to continue on for continuity's sake.

I kind of hate that many shows are discussed in the Netflix/Prime/Hulu/etc. threads these days. Often they get buried since there are so many new shows. Also since I'm in Canada we have quite a few shows that pop up on different services and I don't know where to look. (But forum search usually works.)
Would you say it burns your timbits?
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Toasts. :wink:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ooh, alliteration. I like. :D
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finally got around to watching Picard season finale. While it was pretty awful,it did have two saving graces for me:
Spoiler:
It made me somewhat like Q. I know the hug was sappy, but for some reason it hit me in the feels.

And the Borg Queen Jurati reveal on the ship was better than I expected. Even if after 400 years she ended up looking like Linus from the Peanuts gang. And they kind of did what I wanted with the Borg (or at least an offshoot) joining Starfleet, as I mentioned a few pages back.

The Wesley cameo just felt awkward.

Dr. Soong should have been given a mustache to twirl.
It wasn’t very good, but it was better than expected. Which isn’t praise, mind you.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

(more Picard, spoilers for season 3 cast)
Spoiler:
I'm not really prepared to talk about it because I'm still so disgusted, but the notion of the whole plot being set up by Q to help Picard forgive himself and learn to love is just absurd. I can see some potential for a "Q is dying" story, but it comes out of nowhere. Maybe I'm guilty of being inflexible, but a final jaunt with Q should have been of cosmic significance. Little could top their final scene together in TNG. The hug was moving in a way, yes... but it also just felt absurd. I fail to see how this was a meaningful Picard story to tell. In the end it really does feel like a cynical cash-in on old characters and relationships to me. And the individual plot points are often nonsensical.

So the Travelers run the Supervisors? Give me a break. And Kore is being recruited why? Isa Briones apparently isn't even going to be in season 3. (Elnor nor Jurarti either, but this may be obfuscation. Doesn't seem like it though with the announcement of the TNG cast returning.)

I knew this season would disappoint me, but I had no idea it would undermine TNG's legacy to this extent. I know you can say, "Well just pretend it doesn't exist; go back and watch TNG if you want to." But it just doesn't work that way, as much as I wish it did.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm
I knew this season would disappoint me
For the first 3 or 4 episodes you were its biggest defender. :wink:
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was enjoying it and wanted to be optimistic. But without going back and looking I'm pretty sure I said a couple times that I expected to be disappointed by the end. Just perhaps not this disappointed.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah well, us Star Trek fans still have Discovery and Strange New Worlds! :D
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:51 pm Finally got around to watching Picard season finale. While it was pretty awful,it did have two saving graces for me:
Spoiler:
It made me somewhat like Q. I know the hug was sappy, but for some reason it hit me in the feels.
Spoiler:
I mean sure if you look over the many unnecessary brutal deaths to teach a friend a kindness. :)

It also doesn't explain why he was expressing super 'I hate Picard' vibes other than some high school level attempt to set up the "twist". It completely made no sense.
My biggest problem is this shouldn't have been the entire season. How many of the dumb sequences could have been cut if they weren't padding this hackney, tropey plot line?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was just pretending everything other than the first 15 minutes of the first one and the last 20 minutes of the last one didn’t air. It’s my only coping mechanism for this. Please don’t take that away from me.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:08 pm I was just pretending everything other than the first 15 minutes of the first one and the last 20 minutes of the last one didn’t air. It’s my only coping mechanism for this. Please don’t take that away from me.
That tracks. I wish I had those sort of coping abilities.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You're just hoping Q were real so that he could make those disappear :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Q always annoyed me more than anything else. The "space gods" I WISH they'd bring back are the Douwd (one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek), Trelane and his parents and maybe the creatures that gave Charlie Edwards his powers.

Although it's possible the last two are just Q's people.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I always enjoyed the Q (species.) I just don't think they ever really had the 'key' episode that would help Q (individual) make a little more sense.

I always felt that he was an excellent example of the trickster god in mythology. Coyote, Loki, Anansi, etc. They were always troublemakers, but always with the purpose of furthering humanity. They'd create problems and fiascos that invariably resulted in the victims learning something that was vital to their survival. It's teaching humanity to swim by throwing us into the deep end of the pool, but only doing so because they know that the ship will sink the next day. They always seem like dicks - but the end result was always vitally beneficial.

They just never really conveyed that very well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also want one of these damn series to explore the Tholians.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd just settle for a Benzite regular!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just want a Captain Shran series.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:18 am I just want a Captain Shran series.
With a Benzite science officer, off to explore the Tholian homeworld!