Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Canada 2015-21 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

Post by hepcat »

Remember when liberals were considered snowflakes? :roll:
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:15 pm Remember when liberals were considered snowflakes? :roll:
I'm going to save YK the effort...

PROJECTION!

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find it ironic that those who follow the mandates are called sheep, but that those blindly following conspiracy theories are the supposed saviors of the world... :mrgreen:

Last night, I saw reference to a Fox News statement encouraging a full-scale invasion to save Canadians from oppression and tyranny. Hahaha, please. :lol: There's nothing that we need saving from, other than from those protesters camped out for days on end. Again, like I said earlier, we were completely fine before they got here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:42 pm Last night, I saw reference to a Fox News statement encouraging a full-scale invasion to save Canadians from oppression and tyranny.
It could be necessary. When shall we expect you to begin invading?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You just know the Ruskies are latching on to that call for invasion and calling it equivalent to the Ukraine.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:42 pm Last night, I saw reference to a Fox News statement encouraging a full-scale invasion to save Canadians from oppression and tyranny.
Uh.. do you mean Canada invading...? :think:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Couldn't hurt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yes.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Apparently they didn't charge anyone with any crimes under the Emergencies Act. I think the Liberals know it's going to be overturned. By then, the occupation of Ottawa will be over so it'll have done its job. Suspect Trudeau will take the fall for it and step down (wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to get away from all this crap). It'll be the only way the Liberals will have a chance in the next election
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Overturned how, exactly? The last I heard, the NDP was planning to have its cake and eat it too by reluctantly supporting invocation of the Emergencies Act to contain the crisis while also condemning the lack of leadership that made it necessary. Unless they've shifted their position, I'd expect it to stand since that would provide enough votes to ensure a majority (barring a significant number of MPs breaking ranks), even if all the other parties vote against it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

IceBear wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:30 pm Apparently they didn't charge anyone with any crimes under the Emergencies Act.
Not from what I hear. They arrested the Lich Queen today along with some of the other organizers. They've also been freezing bank accounts. And no, I doubt if it will be overturned. It was enacted for a reason, and it's something has to be renewed every 30 days if there's an extension needed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh they used it to freeze accounts and several people have said that the coordination of police today wouldn't have happened without it, but The National said that all of the charges listed in court were existing charges. It's smart because if that civil liberties group wins it won't affect the charges.

Oh, they also said that without the Emergencies Act the Ontario police wouldn't have had the right to seize trucks with non- Ontario plates. Suspect a few of these measures might be pulled out so the police could take some of these actions without having to use the entire Emergencies Act
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:48 pm Overturned how, exactly? The last I heard, the NDP was planning to have its cake and eat it too by reluctantly supporting invocation of the Emergencies Act to contain the crisis while also condemning the lack of leadership that made it necessary. Unless they've shifted their position, I'd expect it to stand since that would provide enough votes to ensure a majority (barring a significant number of MPs breaking ranks), even if all the other parties vote against it.
Meant more the court actions later when the truckers' lawyers and other they other lawsuits get the courts to say that the Federal government overstepped. If that happens then at least it shouldn't immediately dismiss the charges laid.

Btw...I don't have a problem with them using the Emergencies Act. I'm just a natural pessimist and have only had my cynicism strengthened lately by what I see happening in general
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm
Uh.. do you mean Canada invading...? :think:

Yes, please. Or at least you could annex the other side of Ambassador and its surrounding areas.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

IceBear wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:55 am Oh they used it to freeze accounts and several people have said that the coordination of police today wouldn't have happened without it
Yeah, see the thing is, from what I understand, the government and in extension the police, were powerless to do anything because Canada doesn't have any laws in place for this sort of thing. But now, they might just have to as a result of all this. It's largely why it took so long to do anything. The only recourse was to invoke the Emergency Act to give the government power to do what it needs doing without bringing in the military. Canada was literally caught between a rock and a hard place. We were expecting a minor menace that would end after a day or two, not for 3 weeks of immobilization.

IceBear wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:10 am Meant more the court actions later when the truckers' lawyers and other they other lawsuits get the courts to say that the Federal government overstepped. If that happens then at least it shouldn't immediately dismiss the charges laid.

Btw...I don't have a problem with them using the Emergencies Act. I'm just a natural pessimist and have only had my cynicism strengthened lately by what I see happening in general

From what I understand, any organizations used under the Emergencies Act cannot be sued, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. I don't think it was an overreach. I think it was duly needed to flush the protesters out.
LordMortis wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:27 am Yes, please. Or at least you could annex the other side of Ambassador and its surrounding areas.
Well, we kind of have our hands full at the moment... Besides, with what happened at Cornwall, and the dispute with the Mohawk Reservation having us dismantle the bridge and having to build a detour to a new facility, I don't think it's a prospect we would look forward to.

But how's the situation in Detroit at the moment?

The scene in Ottawa is interesting right now. Ottawa Police, who've had to upgrade their gear to helmets and batons, along with the RCMP are slowly reclaiming the areas by pushing out protesters. They've also got a tactical vehicle.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:22 pm But how's the situation in Detroit at the moment?
Inflation and supply chain shut downs. Outside political influence trying ruin the area. Pretty much par for the course for the last two years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I feel the pain, man. The protesters really did a number on thing by blockading and negating their whole point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I hope you're right Rumpy...I am just used to the bad guys winning all the time now.

As a fyi I was visiting with a friend today. His girlfriend was walking her dog in a park in Oshawa. She was wearing a mask. A man came up to her, yelling obscenities at her for wearing a mask. She said " My body, my choice". He ripped her mask and glasses off her face. This is the attitude of the protesters that are still there in my opinion...only their opinions matter...no thoughts for others and it's absolutely disgusting
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, It's been a frustrating time for everyone these last few weeks. But they can't have done this forever anyway. They would have run out of resources.

As for what happened to your friend's girlfriend, that is indeed disgusting. Yeah, we get it, it's their choice. But for all the noise they make about it being a choice, they sure like to force their viewpoints onto everyone else they encounter.

And this just in, the Ottawa Hospital is currently locked down following a bomb threat. It never ends, does it?
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ottawa ... -1.5788474
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No it does not...my wife told me about the bomb threat about 20 minutes ago
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, anyone who thinks the Emergency Act was an overreach probably don't realize the extent of what was happening in Ottawa and elsewhere.

Looking back, it's very clear that the protesters... actually I'm not even going to call them that from now on because that gives them legitimacy that they could have any points in their favor. I'll call them civil disobedients. It's been very clear that they were never interested in negotiating or to see reason. They came prepared to be there for a long time, not just a few days. The evidence:

1) They built a communal kitchen to serve food to everyone in their community.
2) They brought themselves entertainment, in the form of hockey nets, a bouncy castle, hot tubs, and even a stage for concerts, and probably more stuff I'm not aware of.
3) The flags and the rhetoric, and overall aggressiveness towards anyone who might disagree with their viewpoint, including the citizens they've harassed and who are just trying to live and sleep while these people are camped out in their streets.
4) And that's not even counting the rest of the activity that was going on at the borders in Coutts and near Detroit, which I hear the American goverment becoming very concerned about due to trade being stopped while the blockades were in effect, and other protests happening in Edmonton and Toronto.

Something had to be done, and it wasn't going to be done without invoking something due to the lack of power the police had, but once it did get invoked, it's clear it was helping. Yesterday saw Ottawa police, along with RCMP officers and other police forces in full gear start to reclaim the city streets, and tow trucks towing trucks away. I think Ottawa can start to breathe again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Anti-vaxing was just an excuse to start a right-wing riot and thumb their noses at the authorities. I wonder how long that would last in country besides the U.S. or Canada.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and we would have been fine for a day or two of protests, and while they did say they'd stay for as long as they needed to, Ottawa didn't actually think they'd follow through on it, which only became more evident later during the first week. The anti-mandate was just a a way in, and if you look deeply enough at those organizing the convoys, you see them attached to extremist groups who have no place in Canadian democracy. For the most part, Canadians just aren't wired that way, which is why this is all coming off feeling so dissonant when more than 80% of Canada is fully vaccinated and boosted. They're crying themselves a river, making a mountain out of molehill, and it's all in vain.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anywhere else they'd just stone them to death.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It certainly wouldn't be tolerated for days on end with the level of disruption they were engaging in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The long, dark tea-time of Canadian tyranny is over, for now.

Trudeau ends use of Emergencies Act, says 'situation is no longer an emergency'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is revoking the use of the Emergencies Act, the powerful legislative tool that was used to quash the protests and blockades that erupted in Ottawa and at border crossings over recent weeks.

"The situation is no longer an emergency," Trudeau told a news conference.

"We are confident that existing laws and bylaws are now sufficient to keep people safe."

MPs in the House of Commons voted to affirm use of the act on Monday. The Senate has not yet held its own vote.
Meanwhile, Conservative gaslighting continues apace.

Conservative senator says 'friendly ... patriotic' Ottawa protesters have been demonized
Conservative Saskatchewan Sen. Denise Batters defended anti-vaccine mandate protesters in a speech late Tuesday, arguing these "friendly" and "patriotic" demonstrators have been unfairly maligned by the "chattering classes."

Batters — who was photographed posing in front of convoy trucks gathered in Ottawa during the protest — said she didn't experience any of the harassment that locals complained of during the weeks-long occupation.

"I can say that in the last two years, I never felt safer walking home from my office at night. The protesters I met very much reminded me of the people I know in Saskatchewan — friendly, hard-working, patriotic Canadians," she said.

While she said she sympathized with Ottawa residents who had to endure constant noise during the demonstration, Batters said she only saw "peaceful" and "non-threatening" demonstrators when observing the crowd from her Senate office, which faces Wellington Street, the centre of the now-disbanded occupation.

"I do not tolerate harassment, intimidation or destruction ever, but I can honestly say that I personally did not see any of that behaviour exhibited by the protesters," she said. "What is the national emergency this time? Dance parties and loud horns?"

Ottawa police have launched well over 100 criminal investigations related to the demonstration after receiving more than 1,000 calls for service from local residents.

The police are probing reports of hate crimes and harassment, among other possible criminal offences. More than 1,550 tickets have been issued for bylaw infractions like excessive noise and the use of fireworks in the densely packed urban core.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least now they can get some decent tee-times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I loved the senator that called everyone (including his own wife) Karens. I also had to laugh at a senator complaining that the people of Ottawa did little work for high pay...that's the job description of a senator isn't it :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

How out of touch does a senator need to be to assume that everyone in the city is a federal civil servant? (Which is what I assume they mean by "little work for high pay", although that is bullshit for civil servants too.) That sort of contempt from Tory politicians is why civil servants were cheering when Harper got the boot back in 2015.

Anyway, senators (especially Conservative senators) work hard. At padding their expense claims... :coffee:

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that senator sounds out of touch with the reality of the citizens in Ottawa. You know, not everyone has a cushy job like she does... Most citizens are just trying to get by.

And if she feels they are friendly, then they obviously don't feel threatened by her, but I imagine she'd be singing a different tune if she disagreed with them, as they are very agressive with anyone that disagrees with them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Re: Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

Post by Max Peck »

It just struck me that the thread subtitle has aged reasonably well, aside from the fact that it turned out not to be an either/or situation.

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like we can expect political stability for the federal government until the next election.

How the Liberal-NDP agreement will work and what it might mean for Canadians
The "supply-and-confidence" agreement struck between the governing Liberals and the opposition New Democrats could affect the kind of legislation Canadians can expect to see pass through Parliament between now and 2025.

The parties have agreed to work together on key policy areas in situations where both parties want the same "medium term outcome" — while avoiding an early election call.

According to the deal, those key policy areas are climate change, health care spending, reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, economic growth and efforts to make life more affordable.

To do this, the parties will need to establish a working relationship that governs how they communicate plans and voting intentions. The Prime Minister's Office published a statement on its website outlining the deal. Here's a look at some key questions.
The NDP and the Liberals have identified seven key areas where they say they will work together. Here's what they've agreed to pursue:

Health
  • A new dental care program that would start with low-income kids under 12 this year before expanding next year to include under-18s, seniors and people living with a disability. The program would be restricted to families earning less than $90,000 with no co-paying requirements for anyone earning less than $70,000.
  • A commitment to work on a "universal national pharmacare program" by passing pharmacare legislation by the end of next year. It would be followed up by tasking the National Drug Agency to recommend essential medicines and a bulk purchasing plan.
  • A commitment to "additional ongoing investments" to shore up provincial health care systems by hiring more doctors, nurses and mental health supports.
  • A Safe Long-Term Care Act to address the funding and policy shortcomings exposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Affordability
  • An Early Learning and Child Care Act — to be passed this year — to ensure child care agreements struck between the federal and provincial governments get secure long-term federal funding and are focused on non-profit spaces.
  • More affordable housing, a $500 top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit this year and a "homebuyer's bill of rights."
Climate change
  • A commitment to phasing out federal government support for the fossil fuel sector — including funding from Crown corporations — starting in 2022.
  • A commitment to finding new "ways to further accelerate the trajectory" to a net zero economy by 2050.
  • A "Clean Jobs Training Centre" to support retraining for energy workers as Canada moves away from fossil fuels.
Labour
  • A pledge to implement as soon as possible legislation passed by the Liberals to ensure federally regulated workers get 10 days of paid sick leave every year.
  • The introduction of legislation by the end of next year making it illegal to call in replacement workers when an employer of unionized employees in a federally regulated industry locks out workers.
Reconciliation
  • A commitment to continued funding to help First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities undertake burial searches at the former sites of residential schools.
  • A commitment to work with Indigenous peoples to decide how housing investments are delivered and designed.
  • A commitment to advance policies related to missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
Tax initiatives
  • Changes to taxation for financial institutions that have made robust profits during the pandemic.
  • Implementation of a publicly accessible beneficial ownership registry by the end of 2023.
Democracy
  • A commitment to work with Elections Canada to expand voter participation, which could include expanding election day to three days of voting.
  • A change to elections rules to allow people to vote at any polling place within their electoral district.
  • Improvements to mail-in ballots so that voters are not disenfranchised.
  • A commitment to ensuring that the number of seats Quebec has in the House of Commons remains constant.
I'm disappointed that there is no mention of revisiting electoral reform, but not surprised given that the Liberals and NDP have substantially different ideas as to what that should look like. IIRC, the Liberals favour a single transferable vote (which would tend to consolidate seats under mainstream parties) while the NDP favours proportional representation (which would disperse seats across less popular parties). Unfortunately, that leaves us with first past the post, which favours the Conservatives so long as they remain the only viable right-of-centre party.

Aside from that, this looks fine to me. Also, it's pissing off the Conservatives and that's never a bad thing. :coffee:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Freedom Convoy protesters set to return to Ottawa for Canada Day, stay through summer
Ottawa police say they expect more protests and larger than usual crowds during Canada Day celebrations in the capital this July as groups related to the Freedom Convoy continue to plan protests.

In a statement, the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) said it is "working with Canada Day organizers and our policing partners to implement a public safety plan that allows all Canadians and visitors to freely and safely enjoy the capital during this celebration."

Significant road closures and an increased police presence are expected. Police say additional resources from other services are being brought in.

Several groups — most formed out of the Freedom Convoy — are planning protests in Ottawa throughout the summer, including many of the key figures and prominent streamers involved in the ongoing "Freedom Movement."

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Canada MPs given panic buttons as threats increase
Canada's members of parliament will be given panic buttons to call police in an emergency, amid growing harassment, intimidation and threats of violence.

The move was announced by Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino who has himself received death threats.

The "very negative and toxic rhetoric that we see online" was very concerning, he said.

Canada's MPs have also been threatened on the streets and last year PM Justin Trudeau was pelted with rocks.

Mr Mendicino, who said he was threatened last month after introducing a gun control bill in parliament, said the mobile alarms would add another layer of security for politicians.

MPs are also being offered cameras, alarms and other security measures to be installed in their homes, and training on how to de-escalate potentially violent situations.
One politician in particular has been targeted by abuse.

Jagmeet Singh, the leader of the small leftist New Democratic Party (NDP) and a practising Sikh, was harassed by angry protesters last month during a campaign visit in Peterborough, Ontario.

Video shows the mob shouting expletives at Mr Singh, calling him a "traitor" and wishing him dead.

Mr Singh later said the encounter was one of the "most intense, threatening and insulting" incidents of aggression in his career, and that his staff feared for their safety.

Fellow NDP MP Heather McPherson told CBC news that she was worried about her family's safety, and has previously received threats to kill her pet dog.

Several MPs have said that the vitriol has intensified since an anti-vaccine mandate protest occupied Ottawa in February and March.

The so-called Freedom Convoy saw the city brought to a standstill as hundreds of lorries blocked roads. Canadian media reported that for a few days during the protest, Mr Trudeau and his family were evacuated to a secret location for their own safety.

Liberal MP Judy Sgro said many politicians were "feeling very unsafe" in the wake of the protests.

She added that she did not take a panic button initially - until someone followed her home one day.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You guys are as nuts as us!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

We're working on it. We even have elected Conservative politicians playing footsie with these thugs.

CPC MPs meet with Freedom Convoy organizers
A group of Conservative Party of Canada MPs met with some of the people planning protests in Ottawa this summer, including organizers of the Freedom Convoy that occupied downtown streets earlier this year.

James Topp, a veteran marching across Canada to protest against remaining vaccine mandates, is set to end his journey on June 30 but he drove into Ottawa Wednesday to take part in the meetings.

He was joined by Paul Alexander, a former official in U.S. president Donald Trump's administration, and Tom Marazzo, who served 25 years in the Canadian Forces and had a failed bid as an Ontario MPP candidate.

Marazzo was invited by James Bauder to come and help run the Freedom Convoy during protests in Ottawa earlier this year.

Bauder, who is facing charges in Ottawa and continued to protest in British Columbia after leaving the city in February, is responsible for creating the Canada Unity group and website that helped develop the initial convoy plan to come to Ottawa.
Taking place in a government building near Parliament Hill, just days after Ottawa suspended vaccine mandates for federal employees and passengers travelling to Canada, Alexander told MPs the "COVID-19 pandemic is over" and criticized what they call "government overreach" — in one instance, blaming lockdowns for the May 24 Uvalde, Texas, school shooting that left 19 kids and two teachers dead.

Topp told the MPs that a number of groups formed out of the Freedom Convoy had come under one umbrella to continue protesting.

"Their issue is not so much with mandates anymore, it's their satisfaction with the federal government," Topp said. "There is a divide in this country I have never seen or experienced before — I've only ever seen it in a war zone."

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This seems perfectly normal and not at all weird or alarming.

Questions swirl about group that's set up 'embassy' at St. Brigid's in Lowertown
The doors of St. Brigid's have been painted red and banners bearing a white tree insignia hang on either side.

It's a striking visual that's captured the attention of community members and left some with questions, including about possible connections to this past winter's Freedom Convoy.

A director for the group flatly denied any link with the protest that shut down part of downtown Ottawa for three weeks this past winter, saying it's not associated with the convoy and anyone who says otherwise is spreading misinformation.

But one of the organization's directors has shared posts about the convoy on social media and a second described herself as an adviser to Dwayne Lich, the husband of convoy leader Tamara Lich, during her bail process.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This seems perfectly normal and not at all weird or alarming.

One in custody after vehicle rams Parliament Hill gates
Ottawa police have one person in custody after a vehicle rammed the front gates of Parliament Hill early Wednesday morning.

Around 3:30 a.m. ET, an unauthorized vehicle drove into the front gates on Wellington Street but was prevented from entering because of security barriers. According to police, damage to the gate is minimal.

The Ottawa Police Service said in a news release an officer who was nearby was able to take the driver into custody without incident.

An investigation is ongoing and charges, according to police, are pending.
Amphibious tour bus crashes into fence of PM's official residence
An amphibious tour bus crashed this morning into the fence at 24 Sussex Drive, the prime minister's unoccupied official residence.

Etienne Cameron, a co-owner of Lady Dive Tours in Ottawa, says the company is investigating the crash involving one of its vehicles. The driver, whom he did not immediately identify, was the only person on board.

The driver would not give his name at the scene of the crash but said he's completely fine and even the bus took very little damage.

Photos posted to social media this morning show a red "Amphibus" appears to have veered off the eastbound side of Sussex Drive onto the sidewalk and crashed into the black metal and stone fence outside the residence.

A large section of the fence had been knocked down entirely and rocks and rubble were strewn across the ground.

Cameron says the crash happened during a routine "morning check" during which a driver takes the bus out for a spin prior to tourists getting on board.

Ottawa police say they received a call about a single motor-vehicle collision involving a commercial vehicle at 9:21 a.m., and confirmed there are no reported injuries.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This continues to seem completely normal and not at all weird or alarming.

Controversial group creates 'private security force' to guard former church
A controversial organization operating out of a historic Ottawa church has set up what it calls a "private security force," saying it was necessary because police weren't responding to its concerns quickly enough.

The United People of Canada (TUPC) said it has identified people it claims have committed crimes targeting the group, and is prepared to "ensure the rule of law is upheld within our lawful authority," according to William Komer, one of its directors.

However, Komer wouldn't share details about whether the force will be made up of outside contractors or the group's supporters.

"The exact security force, who's involved, we're keeping that completely private," Komer said Tuesday.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Who could have foreseen that this would end badly...

Bailiff says St. Brigid's Church occupants are now 'basically squatting'
The bailiff who taped an eviction notice to the doors of St. Brigid's says The United People of Canada (TUPC) need to leave the church immediately and the building's locks will soon be changed.

Locks at the Rectory Art House next to the church were swapped out on Thursday, so only the owners of the property and the artists who rent from them can access it.

"There is no lease anymore. Now they're basically squatting," said Dave with Cease Bailiff Services. "That won't last very long."