Helldivers - Now on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Helldivers - Now on Steam

Post by Isgrimnur »

HELLDIVERS 2 released:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Anyone playing this?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yeah, its a ton of fun. Unfortunately the servers are extremely unreliable right now and you'll be lucky to even get in a game.
The developer are working on it, but their "fixes" seem to be making things worse at the moment. I recommend giving it a week or three.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Couple videos on HD2. First is a review and info. Second is more game play footage.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

This absolutely did not look interesting to me. But I checked out a decent chunk of those videos (well, not too much of the 40+ min one) so that I know more about the game when my 8th grade son asks to get it because all of his bros are playing it. :D So thanks for that!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

my 19 year old son bought the full package on humble bundle. CDN$80. So far he claims it has been money well spent. He also has a pre-built team of friends to co-op with. That probably helps.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its supposedly a huge hit. I played the first one but it was overhead twin stick shooter with 3 other players. My friend and me would play with 2 randos. This is a totally new 3rd person way to play that game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

The warhammer, starship troopers and Star Wars franchises are cursing they didn’t come up with this. It’s basically the imperial guard or stormtroopers …
waitingtoconnect

Has anyone been playing this. It’s great fun.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Had my first play session last night with my brother and nephews. It was a blast. We got the difficulty level just right where we struggled, but was still successful - but not getting all the bonus mission stuff. I am currently only level 5. I did play HD 1 quite a bit. There still seems to be some bugs with match making, but I am forgiving them for now. Well worth the price.

Feel free to throw me PM to gain an ally FOR DEMOCRACY!
words
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I can play the lower difficulties and enjoy myself but when I get up to challenging I start getting overwhelmed and feel like my fellow rando Helldivers are wondering "How did I get teamed up with this f*cknit?" Overall its fun though if I can find the time to devote 20 minutes of uninterrupted play without child/dog/cat/wife needing my attention. I really want to get into the meta tho.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just got this game as a gift and don't know much about it. Would be interested in playing with some people here to help me get started. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 pm I just got this game as a gift and don't know much about it. Would be interested in playing with some people here to help me get started. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Hey Grifman, I have seen you online a few times. Next time we are both on at the same time I will try to join your group and we can run some missions. I am NOT a good player but I enjoy the game and can pass on what I have learned and help you gain some XP/resources.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:18 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 pm I just got this game as a gift and don't know much about it. Would be interested in playing with some people here to help me get started. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Hey Grifman, I have seen you online a few times. Next time we are both on at the same time I will try to join your group and we can run some missions. I am NOT a good player but I enjoy the game and can pass on what I have learned and help you gain some XP/resources.
My group? I don't have a group :) That's why I need help!
waitingtoconnect

I’m currently playing this on the ps5 (though not right now) I’ll put up my friends code later but not sure how long it lasts as it rotates.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:24 pm
Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:18 pm
My group? I don't have a group :) That's why I need help!
LOL, sorry Grif. I meant if I see you on a mission then I will try to jump in if there is a free slot. I welcome to you to do the same with me.

waitingtoconnect

Ok friend code is 7456-3181
raydude

Post by raydude »

I just enlisted to join the fight for Super Earth and Managed Democracy! I'm still finding my way around though, even though I fought in the last war (first game). I've only played two games with strangers so far and while it was fun, it was a little uncoordinated since no one was speaking. Would love to join up with any of you! I'm playing on Steam: raydude
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

My roommate and I have been playing pretty regularly, late evening PST; we're set to 'friends only' but if you're on my friends list you are welcome to drop your bug-stomping for democracy ass right in. And if you're not on my friends list you can add me with code 9146656. We have mikes but you may have to give us a minute to wander through the settings and find where to turn them back on. We're mediocre at games so we sometimes play on 'challenging' because that's the lowest tier that drops the tier 2 loot and sometimes on medium because that's the actual pace we enjoy playing at.
raydude

Post by raydude »

heh, I just realized that the friend codes are generated within the game itself, in the "social" menu. Makes sense, as people on PS won't be friending using Steam names. My friend code:6070-5687. I'm decent at easy but wouldn't mind stepping up to medium or higher. Just realize what quality of Helldiver you're getting :). Although I will try my best not to create friendly fire. I move so that my firing line doesn't have a friendly in it and when I shoot I tend to stay still so I don't drift into someone else's firing line.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

raydude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 amAlthough I will try my best not to create friendly fire.
Why do you hate democracy?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is this having a resurgence, or is everyone actually talking about Helldivers 2?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Helldivers 2, we're just lazy and are using the old thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait…what? I came here to discuss Helldivers 3.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Cortilian needs to quit being lazy and change the title.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cortilian hasn't been by for three years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes. I know. It was me being passive aggressive.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So I'm trying to do the tutorial and am at the place where I need to use a stratagem, but I have no idea how to use one. It says use the CTRL key to call up the stratagems, which I have done, then it says use the WASD keys but only the D key does anything, it cycles through two arrows pointing right, and one arrow pointing up. I have no idea what those arrows mean, and nothing triggers when using those keys. This is poorly explained, IMO, and I am stuck. What do the WASD keys do? How do I actually activate the stratagem and how do I point it at target? This is confusing as heck, with a terrible, IMO, explanation. Can someone help me? Thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:53 pm Yes. I know. It was me being passive aggressive.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
raydude

Post by raydude »

Grifman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 pm So I'm trying to do the tutorial and am at the place where I need to use a stratagem, but I have no idea how to use one. It says use the CTRL key to call up the stratagems, which I have done, then it says use the WASD keys but only the D key does anything, it cycles through two arrows pointing right, and one arrow pointing up. I have no idea what those arrows mean, and nothing triggers when using those keys. This is poorly explained, IMO, and I am stuck. What do the WASD keys do? How do I actually activate the stratagem and how do I point it at target? This is confusing as heck, with a terrible, IMO, explanation. Can someone help me? Thanks.
It may make more sense if you change your key bindings for the strategem input. Hit "Escape", click "Options" then click "Mouse and Keyboard" on the left hand side. Then click "Change Bindings" at the top and scroll down till you see "Strategem" and change the 'left, right, up, down' buttons to left, right, up, down arrows on your keyboard.

Now to enter the strategem hold down "CTRL" and follow the sequence of arrow presses for the strategem you want. So, if the screen shows "down, up, down, up, left, right" then just enter those arrow keys in the correct sequence.

The other benefit to remapping the strategem keys to the arrows is that you can call down strategems while on the move, which is nice if you have to retreat and need to call down a strategem at the same time.

If the tutorial doesn't let you change the key bindings, then you can still hold down CTRL and use the WASD as the left, right, up, down arrow keys. Then once you get to the real game change the bindings as you wish.
raydude

Post by raydude »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:14 pm
raydude wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 amAlthough I will try my best not to create friendly fire.
Why do you hate democracy?
I do not. I am simply adding an unblocked dose of liberty to the enemies of Super Earth!
Montag

Post by Montag »

You can also change the setting to press instead of hold. So tap the button then do the sequence. I had a hard time holding down the button and doing the sequence with the same hand. I am using an X Box controller on PC now.
words
waitingtoconnect

Gryndyl wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:41 pm My roommate and I have been playing pretty regularly, late evening PST; we're set to 'friends only' but if you're on my friends list you are welcome to drop your bug-stomping up for democracy ass right in. And if you're not on my friends list you can add me with code 9146656. We have mikes but you may have to give us a minute to wander through the settings and find where to turn them back on. We're mediocre at games so we sometimes play on 'challenging' because that's the lowest tier that drops the tier 2 loot and sometimes on medium because that's the actual pace we enjoy playing at.
Traitor to democracy!! Your code is inaccurate!

Added ray and Montag on mine- I’m gadgetwalrus on psn
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Finally got a chance to play this. Only did tutorial and 1 mission.
I did the mussion on trivial and almost ran out of time because i couldn't figure out how to activate the towers. It could have used an automatic waypoint to the terminal to help. Whats weird is that once I was ready to exteact it did pop ip a waypoint to show me the correct terminal for that.
Even though they aren't timed I'm still not a fan of their version of quick time events. I screwed up quite a few because I couldn't process exactly what to do or my twitching caused an incorrect key press. Not being timed is the only reason I'm not just uninstalling it. I'll give it some more time before making a final decision. I'd definitely prefer it if they just weren't there.
I would also love an auto reload function as it's just another thing to have to remember and process and have gotten stuck trying to fire before proccessing having to reload.
Other than to increase difficulty I dont see any reason why you can't have that.
Definitely feels like a Starship Troppers game.
The game I played I was alone. Is thete some way to see where players are fighting to join them?
Overall I'd say i enjoyed it but just so for now.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
raydude

Post by raydude »

Has anyone been able to successfully join a friend's game? I will see that a Steam friend is playing online and I right click and select "join game" but Steam wouldn't let me. Tonight was the first time I was able to join Montag - but then he was playing on harder difficulty with other level 35s and I'm a level 10 :).

Am I doing something wrong?
Montag

Post by Montag »

raydude wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:01 pm Has anyone been able to successfully join a friend's game? I will see that a Steam friend is playing online and I right click and select "join game" but Steam wouldn't let me. Tonight was the first time I was able to join Montag - but then he was playing on harder difficulty with other level 35s and I'm a level 10 :).

It is still buggy and looks like cross platform still has some issues. I am part of the PC Master Race. I had issues with this early, but not very often. It could have an information lag, where the party was full, you caught them at a transition time etc.

Despite the hassles, I am still having a crap ton of fun.
words
raydude

Post by raydude »

I've noticed when hunting on the map for games to join that, unless the map icon says "in progress X minutes" you will usually spawn on the host ship. And 50% of the time when that happens I get kicked from the game before we even drop. However, when I press "R" to quickplay I get put into games where the helldivers are already on the planet which means they can't kick me. So now I've taken to doing quickplay games.

Speaking of, I joined a quickplay game on medium difficulty where the objective was to kill 225 Terminids. There was only one dude and he already was halfway there. There were already 3 bile spewers and numerous other bugs around so I was too busy running around and shooting to call down any strategems. Then the other player died but I managed to reinforce and bring him back. Then I died and he just ran around and shot the bugs on his own for about 20 seconds until he died. We only had 4 respawns left; the game respawned us both in and I landed on high hill.

The other player leaves and now I'm the only helldiver facing 5 bile spewers, numerous bugs, and no support weapons. Luckily I was able to call down a sentry right on a bile spewer, killing it. Then 2 airstrikes killed a bunch more. I realized that my position was pretty safe - no bile spewers could hit me and the only things that could were the flying bugs and they didn't come up too much. Called down my support weapon on another bile spewer and just waited until my gatling sentry and airstrike cooldowns were done and between those and my regular weapons I hit 225 and was able to extract :).
waitingtoconnect

raydude wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:01 pm Has anyone been able to successfully join a friend's game? I will see that a Steam friend is playing online and I right click and select "join game" but Steam wouldn't let me. Tonight was the first time I was able to join Montag - but then he was playing on harder difficulty with other level 35s and I'm a level 10 :).

Sent you a friend request via psn. I’m gadgetwalrus there
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I haven't had a chance to join anyone's game on here but thats mainly due to the fact that no one has been on when I get a few minutes to get a mission in. I will keep looking for you guys.

I wanted to pass on this great video about how patrol's spawn and how mission map heat is generated. It gave me some great ideas on how to tackle missions in the future. You don't get XP for kills but only for objectives. Check it out: