[movie]Star Trek Beyond

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [movie]Star Trek Beyond

Post by hepcat »

He's just curious if he should bring his own in light of that.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote:
JSHAW wrote:From those going, let me know how much lens flare there is. :mrgreen:
Since Abrams isn't even directing, why do you think there will be a lens flare issue?
He meant Len's flare, a pile of wearable tchotchkes from Jennifer Anniston's boss in Office Space.
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

pr0ner wrote:
JSHAW wrote:From those going, let me know how much lens flare there is. :mrgreen:
Since Abrams isn't even directing, why do you think there will be a lens flare issue?
1. BECAUSE my statement you quoted, was a joke.

2. BECAUSE I'm curious to see if Director Justin Lin will throw his own versions of lens flare
into the mix, along with the moto-cross motorcycle Kirk is seen on in the trailers, which is creative, since we've never seen THAT in a Star Trek movie, have we? :roll:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program Mr. Literal.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
He meant Len's flare, a pile of wearable tchotchkes from Jennifer Anniston's boss in Office Space.
I literally LOLed.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reviews are looking quite good. 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Most reviews are calling it a throwback to the original tv series.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote:Reviews are looking quite good. 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Most reviews are calling it a throwback to the original tv series.
I see 89% right now.
Hodor.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am going tomorrow morning. We shall see!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote:
hepcat wrote:Reviews are looking quite good. 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Most reviews are calling it a throwback to the original tv series.
I see 89% right now.
Ah, they must keep a rolling tally. That's great it's going up though!
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
I see 89% right now.
Ah, they must keep a rolling tally. That's great it's going up though!
Yeah, I've seen it in the low 90s. Regardless, I can't wait to see it tomorrow.
Hodor.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

A good friend of mine, who's a bigger Star Trek nerd than Hepcat (sorry, Hep, but it's true) saw it last night and said that it was great. And he liked the first movie OK and hated "Into Darkness".
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's going to be rough for me to avoid seeing this opening weekend. But man, I hate crowded theaters.
hentzau wrote:A good friend of mine, who's a bigger Star Trek nerd than Hepcat (sorry, Hep, but it's true)
I'm a fraud. I say I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but I couldn't even figure out which part of a Jem'Hadar patrol ship was the front during a game of Star Trek Attack Wing once. :oops:
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have to admit that this is one movie that I secretly want to fail. Actually, I openly want it to fail. Perhaps the trailers somehow show the film in a way that is completely different from the reality. Perhaps. When I heard Beastie Boys and saw Kirk doing sweet jumps on a dirt bike I knew that the Star Trek I loved was long gone and the only way I was going to get the good Trek again was to have a spectacular fail. But alas, it looks like Action Trek is here to stay.

I'll just be on my front porch bitching if you need me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Like I mentioned earlier, most of the reviews I've seen mention that it's a return to its roots entry in the series, and that it feels like classic Star Trek in many ways.

I'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote:I have to admit that this is one movie that I secretly want to fail. Actually, I openly want it to fail. Perhaps the trailers somehow show the film in a way that is completely different from the reality. Perhaps. When I heard Beastie Boys and saw Kirk doing sweet jumps on a dirt bike I knew that the Star Trek I loved was long gone and the only way I was going to get the good Trek again was to have a spectacular fail. But alas, it looks like Action Trek is here to stay.

Action Trek will dominate the films. You will not see deep, sociological stories trumping EXPLOSIONS!!! at the cinema for a tentpole property these days.

You might get something a little better when the Trek series comes out next year. Maybe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:Like I mentioned earlier, most of the reviews I've seen mention that it's a return to its roots entry in the series, and that it feels like classic Star Trek in many ways.

I'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
That's interesting because the first review I read the other day said exactly the opposite. They trashed the movie and said it could learn a lot from old Trek. Alas, I can't find that review.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Probably written by the guy sitting in the lawn chair next to you. ;)

I think people vastly misremember those old episodes and how interesting they were.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We may go see it tonight. I'd rather see Star Trek, but my wife would rather see Ghostbusters. It's her birthday, so I'm going to see whatever she wants to see.

I've always been Star Wars >>>>>> Star Trek, but I still enjoy the IP. I've seen all the Star Trek films to date (including the original and TNG), and have been slowly catching up on the television episodes starting with the original.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

YellowKing wrote:We may go see it tonight. I'd rather see Star Trek, but my wife would rather see Ghostbusters. It's her birthday, so I'm going to see whatever she wants to see.

I've always been Star Wars >>>>>> Star Trek, but I still enjoy the IP. I've seen all the Star Trek films to date (including the original and TNG), and have been slowly catching up on the television episodes starting with the original.
I saw ST last night. I am slightly on the fence, but if I had to see ST or GB again, I'd go with GB.
It wasn't horrible for the most part, but I really did not like their solution at the end. Felt WAY too cheesy and ST can be better than that... I was enjoying it for the most part, but that semi ending kind of sucked..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:We may go see it tonight. I'd rather see Star Trek, but my wife would rather see Ghostbusters. It's her birthday, so I'm going to see whatever she wants to see.
It's the exact opposite scenario in my house. I want to see Ghostbusters and she wants to see Star Trek.

So looks like we are seeing ST on Saturday.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going with my traditional outfit for Star Trek premieres: an HR Puffenstuff costume. I tell everyone I'm a Gorn.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers wrote:
It's the exact opposite scenario in my house. I want to see Ghostbusters and she wants to see Star Trek.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:
msteelers wrote:

$$$ and time
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Watched it. I liked it. It's roughly on the level of "fun" of a little lower than ST4:TVH.

Krall the mystery guy just doesn't make that much sense. There's little hints of here and there about his true origins, but that final clue at the end only makes HALF sense.
Spoiler:
By now, everybody knows that Krall used to be captain of USS Franklin, former EF MACO leader. Ship lost. Turns out he survived, crashed, and found this "vampire tech" where he can suck the life out of others to change his own appearance, and decades of frontier life on his own basically had him hate the Federation for making peace with all its enemies... then what? He's gonna destroy the starbase? Then what? The weapon is linked to his capability (same origin), but it's never explained clearly enough. There's some mumbling about how they can take out entire sectors... So what? And what exactly does this do? Disassembles life? Then what?
Still, it's a fun little adventure that FEELS much like an episode of Star Trek, as others said. There's more of the Kirk / Spock / McCoy chemistry, and there's call outs to events that happened in the prime timeline that are echoed here, but not quite the same way.
Spoiler:
Spock considering leaving Starfleet, as well as passing of ambassador Spock.

The part about Sulu being gay was only mentioned in passing. In fact, there's even a DIFFERENT scene earlier that hinted at other same sex relationships onboard. No big deal.

All in all, 6.5 tentacles. It's a fun adventure, and it was NOT as "fast and furious" in space as I feared. There's good plot, not great, but the chemistry is much better here than before, and less about coincidences and happenstances like in previous two Kelvinverse movies.
Spoiler:
And yes, there will be a 1701-A
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: it was NOT as "fast and furious" in space as I feared.
Good to hear because that's what the trailers look like. I do not like action movies.

I expect to see it next weekend, so I didn't read your spoilers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mindless action movies I can understand. But if you dislike action movies, I don't see how you could possibly like any incarnation of Star Trek. They all relied on it to some extent. Giant space amobea, salt vampires, Borg, Klingon battles, Romulan wars, etc..
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I wouldn't classify Star Trek I, II or IV as action movies. They had a few space battles, but the action made up very little of the movie. The Trek reboot, however, has been nothing but action. Over-the-top action with a maximum of 6 minutes between explosions. It's a totally different beast.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Beyond is action adventure. Feel free to AMA, and I can always give normal vs. spoiler answers. :)

Yes, there's that big motorcycle jump in the trailer. There is a good reason for it, for which I will NOT reveal lest it spoils your fun. It closes one act and leads onto the next act. It does serve a purpose, not just *hah, let's do F&F in space*.

And it's a little funny that even Simon Pegg was not immune into recycling a TV/Movie trope: the person who passes on the "token" is the next to die. No, I'm NOT telling you who. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote:Mindless action movies I can understand. But if you dislike action movies, I don't see how you could possibly like any incarnation of Star Trek. They all relied on it to some extent. Giant space amobea, salt vampires, Borg, Klingon battles, Romulan wars, etc..
Well sure, action in the service of story is all well and good. I just don't like stories that are nonstop chases and explosions and gunplay -- which is what this movie's trailers look like.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

McNutt wrote:I have to admit that this is one movie that I secretly want to fail. Actually, I openly want it to fail. Perhaps the trailers somehow show the film in a way that is completely different from the reality. Perhaps. When I heard Beastie Boys and saw Kirk doing sweet jumps on a dirt bike I knew that the Star Trek I loved was long gone and the only way I was going to get the good Trek again was to have a spectacular fail. But alas, it looks like Action Trek is here to stay.

That'll be me sitting next to you. I just finished watching Voyager on Netflix (the show was great), the action in that TV show for the most part was in the dialogue and the story, not really a whole lot in special effects. The trailer for this new Trek film looked horrible and the fact that so many on the production team talks about updating the franchise for todays audience makes me ill. Obviously, with this being Saturday, Star Trek Beyond was not a must-see-day-one event. And that's pretty sad, because in the Star wars vs Star Trek camp I was always in the Trek camp, been to plenty of Trek conventions and religiously watch all Star Trek (tv, movies, animation). And yet will either wait for a good word of mouth for this movie, or just wait for it on Netflix.
AKA: Dajjer
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Kraken wrote:
hepcat wrote:Mindless action movies I can understand. But if you dislike action movies, I don't see how you could possibly like any incarnation of Star Trek. They all relied on it to some extent. Giant space amobea, salt vampires, Borg, Klingon battles, Romulan wars, etc..
Well sure, action in the service of story is all well and good. I just don't like stories that are nonstop chases and explosions and gunplay -- which is what this movie's trailers look like.
Because trailers are always the gold standard for a movies pacing. The majority of the reviews say that this movie is not what you think it is, based on the trailers. Sure, movies like Star Trek are going to be more action driven. Its a 2 hour movie, not a TV series. It will be paced differently than a media that has the luxury of 23 hour long episodes to spend developing stuff. This is not a new concept, the more successful Star Trek movies like Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are more action based than the ones that were not so popular. Give me an action Star Trek any day over a preachy futurized ham-fisted extrapolation of today's social-economic problems. If I want a dissertation Ill go back to college.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think you overestimate the amount of action in Wrath of Khan.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

McNutt wrote:I think you overestimate the amount of action in Wrath of Khan.
Or Undiscovered Country. To be sure, they had more action than The Motion Picture, but then, most (all?) episodes did, as well.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

And yet both had climatic major space battles. But hey they could have always gone with a climatic philosophical debate with god!

I am not saying that those movies are as action driven as today's tend to be. I am saying that they have more action than the less successful old school Trek movies.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yes, there's quite a bit of action on screen. All the major officers gets to hold phasers and shoot at bad guys. And yes, there are a LOT of casualties. By now every Kelvinverse Trek has people sucked out into space from catastrophic ship damage. This movie is no exception.

However, with that said, the action in THIS movie seems to make more sense, more integral to the plot, instead of "look how cool this is!" in the first two movies. As I said, the motorcycle jump has a purpose to it. Really.
Spoiler:
The "space suit flight", the "big chase on flying trucks" in INTO DARKNESS are pretty much "I do it because it looks cool", as well as the "let's space dive onto a platform" and "let's blow up Vulcan" in the original. It's as if it's just to mess with us.
tgb

Post by tgb »

We go to the movies once a year on my birthday, so I get to pick. Looks like this is it, although it doesn't sound like the big-screen adaptation of "Spock's Brain" we were promised. :(
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw it in Imax 3d today. Kasey is right, it is similar to 4 in entertainment value. I really enjoyed it and loved the user of the music...actually wished it had gone on a bit longer. I'd see it again...which is a very rare thing for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Defiant wrote:
McNutt wrote:I think you overestimate the amount of action in Wrath of Khan.
Or Undiscovered Country. To be sure, they had more action than The Motion Picture, but then, most (all?) episodes did, as well.
Or First Contact (getting out of the TOS, of course.)

We don't talk about anything after First Contact.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have a question about the Enterprise in this new reboot. In the first of these movies they showed it being constructed on Earth. In the second one they showed it flying off of a planet.

Is there any instance in the old shows/movies of the Enterprise being able to launch from a planet? I never thought it had a propulsion system that allowed that.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I know there were a couple episodes where Voyager took off from a planet. (I think it was a season two cliff hanger). And I seem to remember a couple episodes where the Enterprise was flying in a low orbit, but I can't recall specifically if it ever took off from a planet.
AKA: Dajjer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, all of the old Enterprises were built in space dock and could not land. Voyager and Defiant were both designed specifically for planetary landings.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)