[SyFy]Expanse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: [SyFy]Expanse

Post by Pyperkub »

Yes, but the link I posted to fb is now dead. Said spin off series AND a movie.

Screen cap of the headline

Last edited by Pyperkub on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't know about that, but I would pay to watch a spinoff of Amos and Peaches.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Screen cap of post /article headline

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
disarm

Post by disarm »

That's the website that I saw, but as mentioned, they seem to have pulled the story not long after it was posted. The inability to find any others mention of this leads me to believe it's probably a fake story
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Expanse hidden content not available on your TV:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... azon-x-ray
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I started reading the ninth book in the series, and was pleasantly reminded that Alex is alive and well. We are definitely in the realm of alternate universes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Formix

Post by Formix »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 pm Don't know about that, but I would pay to watch a spinoff of Amos and Peaches.
I'd watch Amos and Peaches pimp my ride, Amos and Chrissy great Belter baking show, Amos and Bobby, Hangover 4...you name it.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Formix wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:43 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 pm Don't know about that, but I would pay to watch a spinoff of Amos and Peaches.
I'd watch Amos and Peaches pimp my ride, Amos and Chrissy great Belter baking show, Amos and Bobby, Hangover 4...you name it.
That's funny - the other day I was bitching about how much screen time that dumb little girl gets in this season and I said I'd rather watch Amos sitting on the toilet than her and her dumb puppet creature.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Finale Review: the main plotline was completed very well, a lot of good stuff though a little confusing and a bit rushed, but overall pretty satisfying. They even had time for a couple of "cast moments" which a series finale really deserves and needs. Overall I would say I was pretty satisfied.

That said, I probably won't stop ranting about the inane subplot that they essentially wasted over 10% of each episode on... and ended with NO resolution or tie in to the rest of the story? Maybe fans of the book can justify it, or maybe down the line announcement of a spinoff, but as it stands, I felt like it just tainted the entire finale as well as this last short season. I found myself counting the number of minutes they absorbed each episode instead of giving us critical time with the main cast and crew. Any scene with any combination of the main stars would have been so much more rewarding and better use of time. I honestly don't know what they were thinking. They didn't even bother tying the storyline in, or if they did, I certainly missed it.
Spoiler:
As I recall, the last we see is the dumb girl and her zombie brother running away and hiding from her lame ass parents yet again and... then we see the CGI dogs running around? Was that it? WTF WTF WTF. Can anyone explain how ZomBoy fits into the rest of the story in any way? I think I read he had the protomolecule inside him or something but I don't recall that being revealed? And either way what was the point of any of this if it isn't going to be continued later?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They definitely seem to be going for possible spin-off or movie follow-up to finish it off.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Laconia -
Spoiler:
Absolutely critical to the overall plot-line. This would be much move evident in the next season - I hope.
words
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great episode after the nothingburger last week, though I can't help thinking it would have been better with Alex at the helm. I don't remember the muppet sideshow from the books, but later:
Spoiler:
Amos gets saved by some dogs/robots and is different when he comes back. Maybe that is the tie in.
Once again Drummer delivers. However...
Spoiler:
They implied that Filip escaped which seems a little too convenient.
I don't remember that from the books either.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Some extremely light book and potential future season/movie spoilers re: Laconia
Spoiler:
All that stuff had pretty much no role this season, but is the basis of the last three books of the series. The three main characters seen in those scenes - Duarte and the two kids - have major to important roles in the last three books.
What I’m not clear on is why they spent time on them if this was the last season. My only guess is that they have some idea that storyline will be continued in some form. Otherwise I agree it was pointless.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jaymann wrote:Great episode after the nothingburger last week, though I can't help thinking it would have been better with Alex at the helm. I don't remember the muppet sideshow from the books, but later:
Spoiler:
Amos gets saved by some dogs/robots and is different when he comes back. Maybe that is the tie in.
The stuff on Laconia comes directly from one of the novellas, called Strange Dogs, that was released alongside the main book series. It's not mandatory content for understanding the main post-show storyline, but it does add some interesting background.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:26 pm Some extremely light book and potential future season/movie spoilers re: Laconia
Spoiler:
All that stuff had pretty much no role this season, but is the basis of the last three books of the series. The three main characters seen in those scenes - Duarte and the two kids - have major to important roles in the last three books.
What I’m not clear on is why they spent time on them if this was the last season. My only guess is that they have some idea that storyline will be continued in some form. Otherwise I agree it was pointless.
Either that or they already had the script in the can before they were cancelled and decided to go with it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jaymann wrote:Once again Drummer delivers. However...
Spoiler:
The books have his story play out a bit different, but that character has a similar fate in the end...
Spoiler:
Marco, Filip and the Free Navy fleet meet at Callisto prior to burning for Medina to take out the Rocinante. By this time, Filip has become very disenchanted with the idea of his father as a hero, and sees that his life has been completely manipulated by Marco. When Marco calls him back to the Pella to leave for the ring, Filip instead chooses to stay behind. He throws away his communicator and signs up for work at the station under the name Filip Nagata, abandoning Marco and starting a new life.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

disarm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:31 am
Spoiler:
The books have his story play out a bit different, but that character has a similar fate in the end...
Spoiler:
Marco, Filip and the Free Navy fleet meet at Callisto prior to burning for Medina to take out the Rocinante. By this time, Filip has become very disenchanted with the idea of his father as a hero, and sees that his life has been completely manipulated by Marco. When Marco calls him back to the Pella to leave for the ring, Filip instead chooses to stay behind. He throws away his communicator and signs up for work at the station under the name Filip Nagata, abandoning Marco and starting a new life.
Ah, the way that played out in the show smacks of cutting corners in a short season.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Jaymann wrote:
disarm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:31 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ah, the way that played out in the show smacks of cutting corners in a short season.
In am interview I listened to recently, Ty Frank made it sound like they had already outlined a FULL 10 episode season when Amazon told them 6.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First three books arrived from Amazon today. Haven’t read any sci-fi in a loooooooong time, looking forward to these.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Regarding Laconia, in the finale Duarte tells Marcos:
Spoiler:
“You were a useful distraction, but I have gods to kill.”
That should be a big hint where the story goes.

It's weird finishing the show and the books in the same week. Been a huge fan since book 1 was first released. Glad it got the attention it deserved.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just finished binging with a pizza last night, what a great ride. Though the whole thing felt a bit rushed, I really enjoyed how it seemed that each character had their moment(s). I also like how even characters on the "bad" side are sympathetic - for example, I really came to like Marco's second in command.

The only thing that bothered me was
Spoiler:
Filip - he was too much all over the place. I can understand a slow but steady turning against his father, but he kept flip flopping, very strongly back and forth. That last moment in the mess where he demanded support for his father made no sense given where he was previously with respect to his father. It just came out of nowhere. I really didn't like the character at all.
But overall, a great ride to what IMO has been the best sci-fi ever on television.

PS, I doubt the series as is will be picked up but I would go for three 2 hour movies, one for each remaining book. That would work.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Massive Easter egg in
Spoiler:
the assault on the ring.
The team members are all named for famous sci-fi movie and video game characters:

E. Ripley
D. Hicks
J. Vasquez
W. Hudson
R. Deckard
C. Shepard
W. Riker
G. Ackbar
D. Bowman
D. Idaho
J. O’Neil
J. Rico
S. Connor
Jag

Post by Jag »

You missed a bunch. The actual shot here. Fun to try and name as many as you can. My favorite is Starr, L. :D
Spoiler:
Full list here: https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6 ... ster-eggs/
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I really loved this episode. My only complaint
Spoiler:
was that Filip left the ship. It was too convenient and also negated the power of the scene where Naomi blew up the freighter and killed her own son to end the war. Oh, good! He stole a ship at the last moment and escaped. Hooray! Filip was a better character when he was a lost cause, even if conflicted. He murdered his friend in cold blood. He's not a good guy.
edit - spelling
Last edited by McNutt on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:26 pm Some extremely light book and potential future season/movie spoilers re: Laconia
Spoiler:
Either that or they already had the script in the can before they were cancelled and decided to go with it.
Still not a great excuse as they could have simply edited it out. There was certainly enough time for an editor to junk that trash and put in longer takes of other scenes or whatever. If they come back with a spinoff or whatever I suppose it's fine, but it really kind of tainted the entire season for me. I kept thinking maybe one of the main characters would die and have to be resurrected or something significant tying in to the main plotline, but not only did it not tie in, they didn't even bother bringing it to a conclusion. It just felt like a huge waste all around.
Jag

Post by Jag »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm Still not a great excuse as they could have simply edited it out. There was certainly enough time for an editor to junk that trash and put in longer takes of other scenes or whatever. If they come back with a spinoff or whatever I suppose it's fine, but it really kind of tainted the entire season for me. I kept thinking maybe one of the main characters would die and have to be resurrected or something significant tying in to the main plotline, but not only did it not tie in, they didn't even bother bringing it to a conclusion. It just felt like a huge waste all around.
They actually gave an interview where they discussed this
https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2288 ... en-shankar
Spoiler:
Can we talk a little about those prologues? What did you want to ultimately get across breaking up this short story across each episode?

Shankar: Those opening vignettes are all based on the novella that Ty and Daniel wrote called Strange Dogs. And it deals with people who are living on Laconia under the rule of these Martians who are creating this independent state. For us, it was a way to connect the events of season 6 to the big questions that ended season 5 about the alliances that Marco had made with these rogue Martians to get warships. He gave them the proto molecule as payment and the scientists who knew how to use it, and they took that through the ring to do something that was mysterious, and the ship gets eaten at the end of season 5 in a mysterious way. There was a way to deal with all these questions and also not lose some focus on the protomolecule, which was really the thing that has always been at the center.
Also in the interview they said this about the protomolecule which I loved.
Yeah, and in the first book, we are specific about that, because we say the protomolecule is like a bunch of monkeys found a microwave. One of them figures out how to open the door, and he goes, “Oh, this is a box to put things in.” And another one realizes that a light comes on, and they’re like, “Oh, this is a light to illuminate the darkness.” And another one says “This is really heavy, and I can break things with it.” So it’s a handy weapon for getting stuff.

All of them are wrong, because a monkey has never reheated a frozen burrito. So they have no context. So when the humans find the protomolecule, we keep going, “Oh, it must be this.” And we’re always wrong. Because the context in which the protomolecule was created and the species that created it, we share no context with.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's an awesome analogy.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am I really loved this episode. My only complaint
Spoiler:
was that Filip left the ship. It was too convenient and also negated the power of the scene were Naomi blew up the freighter and killed her own son to end the war. Oh, good! He stole a ship at the last moment and escaped. Hooray! Filip was a better character when he was a lost cause, even if conflicted. He murdered his friend in cold blood. He's not a good guy.
Answer:
Spoiler:
It is true to the books, Filip left Marco, though not in the way depicted in the show.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finally caught up on seasons 5 & 6. While it's wonderful this series got a second life on Amazon, it felt like it became very constricted in its storylines and what it showed. I realize most of this was budget related and the rest could likely be explained by the source material (I haven't read it) or how they chose to diverge from it, but the first three seasons had a sense of magic, discovery, and general breadth that the show just never regained. (Except for in those disconnected season 6 scenes most people complained about.) Part of that is normal as a series ages, but it was obvious that season 6 was squished, effectively the part 2 to season 5. It felt a bit similar to watching season 5 of Babylon 5. Still, better than nothing? Yeah.

Spoiler:
True to the source or not, it frustrated me that it became the Marco Inaros show. I didn't mind the character/actor, but he just became this force that was out of balance with any antagonist I remember earlier in the series. I would have been happier with him as a one-season threat, or someone who appeared less frequently over multiple seasons. Filip's arc seemed to take forever on screen, but in the scope of the story it actually felt rushed. Other interesting belter characters/plots seemed to be pushed out (but again, that may be in line with the books). It would have been nice to see Anderson Dawes again or at least to see his assassination on screen, but I'm sure Jared Harris became too expensive. Season 4 was claustrophobic because it was planet-based, but seasons 5 and 6 just felt small with a couple of exceptions, like Das Boot in space in contrast to what the series showed us earlier. Ending on a military victory rather than an environmental one seemed odd, but I'm aware of the issue with the books' pacing. I still enjoyed it immensely.
I'm incapable of praising Shohreh Aghdashloo enough.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I finally finished this a few weeks ago. Loved the series, but I too felt the 6th season seemed smashed together, it needed a few more episodes. That makes sense if they planned more but Amazon said 6 episodes only. Too many unanswered questions, which would be fine if we were getting another season.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Sudy wrote:Finally caught up on seasons 5 & 6. While it's wonderful this series got a second life on Amazon, it felt like it became very constricted in its storylines and what it showed. I realize most of this was budget related and the rest could likely be explained by the source material (I haven't read it) or how they chose to diverge from it, but the first three seasons had a sense of magic, discovery, and general breadth that the show just never regained. (Except for in those disconnected season 6 scenes most people complained about.) Part of that is normal as a series ages, but it was obvious that season 6 was squished, effectively the part 2 to season 5. It felt a bit similar to watching season 5 of Babylon 5. Still, better than nothing? Yeah.

Spoiler:
True to the source or not, it frustrated me that it became the Marco Inaros show. I didn't mind the character/actor, but he just became this force that was out of balance with any antagonist I remember earlier in the series. I would have been happier with him as a one-season threat, or someone who appeared less frequently over multiple seasons. Filip's arc seemed to take forever on screen, but in the scope of the story it actually felt rushed. Other interesting belter characters/plots seemed to be pushed out (but again, that may be in line with the books). It would have been nice to see Anderson Dawes again or at least to see his assassination on screen, but I'm sure Jared Harris became too expensive. Season 4 was claustrophobic because it was planet-based, but seasons 5 and 6 just felt small with a couple of exceptions, like Das Boot in space in contrast to what the series showed us earlier. Ending on a military victory rather than an environmental one seemed odd, but I'm aware of the issue with the books' pacing. I still enjoyed it immensely.
I'm incapable of praising Shohreh Aghdashloo enough.
Spoiler:
I think a couple things happened. Kas Anvar and whatever the real reason they killed Fred when and how they did. Large chunks of both books are Holden and Fred talkin'. The kingsmoot that was five minutea of the tv is a third of babylons ashes. And the preparation for it provides much of the dramtic tension. I'm also convinced that they did something weird in the writers room for the final season. The writing, particularly for the belters, was just bad in the first few episodes. And got drastically better in the second half of the season. I wasnt partial to how angry they made the crew but i understabd what they were trying to do. The problem was forcing conflict inside the roci was grossly out of character. There was conflict in the books, but holden doesn't lie to his crew, Amos doesnt threaten holden anymore, naomi never Really has beef with Clarissa. The crew (and overall writing) was moving plot force not real conversation and reaction yo circumstances which the early seasons did MUCH BETTER. IMHO. Also Jared Harris was heavily booked, not expensive from what the various podcasts have suggested.
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Finally finished the last season, and enjoyed it, but it did suffer somewhat from the episode count. A few more episodes, at least, would have made it feel less rushed and avoid time leaps.
Spoiler:
Like after they located the asteroids with engines, and then suddenly the UN is taking over Ceres station.

Speaking of which, IIRC, when the Roci got the data core with that info, the people who died preventing that had told Marco they left a surprise with it if they did get the core before the data was deleted- that was never followed up on, was it?