Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Gun Politics

Post by Isgrimnur »

But yet they were traveling to their private property to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. I mean, pick a lane. Are you following laws or not?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 am However, when you get out of the car for roadside assistance, probably not a good idea to strap on the long guns without consulting the lawbook.
Especially if you are all Black men.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Happy birthday, America:
At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the country during the Fourth of July weekend as major cities nationwide confront a surge in violent crime, according to data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive.

The data, which includes the number of shooting incidents and gun violence victims nationally over a 72-hour period from Friday through Sunday, is still evolving and will be updated.
If you want to be horrified at the details, read on.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:32 pm Happy birthday, America:
At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the country during the Fourth of July weekend as major cities nationwide confront a surge in violent crime, according to data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive.

The data, which includes the number of shooting incidents and gun violence victims nationally over a 72-hour period from Friday through Sunday, is still evolving and will be updated.
If you want to be horrified at the details, read on.
In Chicago, after Police Superintendent David Brown raised concerns before the "most challenging weekend of the year" for police, 83 people were shot, including 14 killed, in shootings from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday, according to a CNN review of preliminary Chicago Police Department data.
Estimating tells me that that's good for ~10% of total killed and ~20% of shootings.

Our details (includes holiday Monday).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 am Chrysler Arena
C'mon, man! Fritz is so pissed at you right now.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

The other half begins to strap up.
All his life, Jabril Battle was anti-gun. Then came the pandemic, the lockdown, the shortages and a feeling that at any moment, things could blow. Battle bought a Beretta.

Drawn to last summer’s protests against police violence, Savannah Grace found herself face-to-face with a camo-clad officer’s long gun. She’d always hated guns, but went out and got a Glock 45.

In blue cities and red suburbs alike, firearms purchases soared last year — to the highest level in half a century, based on federal background checks. A striking portion of those sales went to first-time gun buyers — 40 percent, according to the firearms industry’s trade association. Other studies show first-timers accounting for more like a fifth of sales in 2020, but that’s still unusually high, retailers said.

Overall gun ownership nationwide jumped from 32 percent of Americans to 39 percent last year, according to University of Chicago survey data — well under the 50 percent level of half a century ago, but the biggest jump in recent decades.
Thank the Lord. The 2nd Amendment is for everyone.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

“We wanted the second amendment to simply be too painful to tread on, so there was only one logical solution.”
A Utah company has stopped selling a kit that encases Glock handguns in Lego blocks, amid uproar and after the Danish toymaker demanded it cease and desist.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In other news, the pharmaceutical arm of ohnson & Johnson has announced they'll stop making chocolate flavored Oxycodone.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is hard not to think these people are just mad. It is beyond negligent. Were they actively trying to get *EVEN MORE* children killed?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sometimes I can only shake my head sadly.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:08 pm It is hard not to think these people are just mad. It is beyond negligent. Were they actively trying to get *EVEN MORE* children killed?
I triple checked to make sure it wasn't The Onion.

:doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope, just Utah.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I a.............want one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got you the lego prison shiv set. Isn't that enough?
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I hide my gun in my big bin of Legos because nothing is quieter and faster than finding the right Legos in the collection when you need them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I do have the Lego caltrop set...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:35 am Well, I do have the Lego caltrop set...
Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:48 pm Nope, just Utah.
Tomato, tomahto
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

The NRA is in turmoil, but gun-control proponents still can’t get what they want.
The narrative is familiar: Gun-control measures can never pass, because the NRA forbids it. The group buys off all the politicians with its incredible campaign spending. Then it owns their votes, and gets everything it wants. But the reality is starkly different.

In the 2020 election cycle, the NRA contributed less than $1 million directly to candidates. That made it the 996th-largest donor for the cycle, according to OpenSecrets. The group spent about $5.4 million on lobbying in that same time frame, which put it a bit higher, at 169th. Since 2012, the NRA’s highest contribution ranking has been 294th, and its highest lobbying ranking has been 85th.

Congressional staffers from both sides of the aisle, several of whom asked not to be named so they could speak candidly, told me the NRA’s campaign spending is not the reason restrictions on gun ownership or use haven’t passed at the federal level in decades.

NRA membership hasn’t grown in eight years. In 2020, it mustered only about half of what it spent in 2016 to elect Donald Trump. Leaked financial documents indicate that its revenue dropped by more than $80 million over those same four years.

The group also just failed in its attempt to declare bankruptcy and faces a dissolution suit filed by New York’s attorney general, stemming from corruption accusations against its executives, including CEO Wayne LaPierre. The attorney general recently filed a 187-page amended complaint outlining dozens more allegations brought to light during the bankruptcy proceedings. The NRA has even started to argue in court filings that the allegations against LaPierre should not be held against the group at large if they are found to be true.

Even so, Democratic leaders can’t seem to pass the gun policies they want.

And it isn’t because of the filibuster, either. The Democrats can’t get bare majorities to support their top gun priorities. They haven’t passed an assault-weapons ban since retaking the House in 2018. They’re unlikely to pass one or even bring it up for a vote before the 2022 midterms. And even if it passed the House, it wouldn’t pass the Senate.

The deadlock isn’t the result of the NRA paying off politicians to vote against the wishes of their constituents. It’s much simpler than that: Many people in this country own guns, and millions of them are dedicated voters. And they are what now stand in the way of new gun laws.
I really wish the Democrats could find a way to walk away from this issue. It does nothing but burn political capital for no perceivable gain. Fortunately, Biden hasn't invested too much into it from what I've seen.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Absolutely it's votes. There are too many single-issue 2A voters and a whole load of new gun owners in traditionally liberal circles.

Dems need to recognize that enforcement and strengthening of existing laws is the best tool currently available. If they ignore that, the laws will continue to be weakened and/or disappear.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Number of people killed by Guns in Norway:

2012 — 3
2013 — 1
2014 — 5
2015 — 4
2016 — 3
2017 — 0
2018 — 3
2019 — 3
2020 — 2

Number of people killed by Guns in America:

2020 — 43,598
Lauren Boebert

A man in Norway just killed a bunch of people with a bow and arrow.

Norway has some of the strictest gun laws around, yet mass killings still occur.

Liberals need to understand it is not the gun - it is the criminal who commits the act!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Need to ban immediately!

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, ammo is in short supply.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

RCie: Gun Politics

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Currently at the range/ffl picking up new stuff after the 72 hour waiting.period. There are a ton of new gun buyers.

In a marked departure from 2020 and earlier this year, it's mostly young white males. Previously it was at least 50% minority/female.

These guys are struggling to complete the 4473.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The whole self defense thing is out of control.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/11/24/attorne ... -shooting/

Guinn says Carruth holds a valid defense under the Castle Doctrine, “to defend himself, others or his property,” and they are looking forward to the Attorney General’s Office investigating and presenting the case to a Lubbock grand jury. Guinn says a grand jury could still indict Carruth, but his hope is “upon careful review of the law, they will not,” but it doesn’t mean he can’t be arrested and charged or convicted later.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yep. I can't imagine getting into a yelling match with someone in that situation but nonetheless that's still murder in my book.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:42 pm Yep. I can't imagine getting into a yelling match with someone in that situation but nonetheless that's still murder in my book.
They guy went inside while the other guy waited outside for his kid. He got a rifle and came back out. It's unnecessary escalation.

If your fear for your life and leave, you're done. Congratulations, you lived another day. If you leave, get a gun, and come back, that's looking to kill someone.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At the very least, go inside, lock the door, get a gun, call the police. Wait for the police inside behind the locked door.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe he feared for the woman who was still outside.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 am Maybe he feared for the woman who was still outside.
If you watch the full video, there was no indication that he was a threat to anyone. It certainly appears that they were trying bait him into getting shot.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:52 am
Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 am Maybe he feared for the woman who was still outside.
If you watch the full video, there was no indication that he was a threat to anyone. It certainly appears that they were trying bait him into getting shot.
I don't know if that was an explicit end goal but this is the outcome of a lack of guardrails. If you are told over and over that you have this nearly endless right to defend yourself well whatever tool is available is going to be used. And when people are this selfish this is just bad news. I saw extended clips of the guy after he shot. He clearly couldn't give one fuck about that guy. He instantly transitioned into what it meant for himself as he just defended his actions while the guy bled out on the ground. Utterly indefensible and reprehensible conduct but this is America.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yeah, that was eerie. Everyone just stood around and argued for a while as if someone hadn't just been gunned down.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ah, Lubbock. So few reasons to miss it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looking into the background, ugh. Checked out the released videos - both of them, showing two angles (someone was recording through the window, too.) The woman outside was the in a relationship with the shooter, and was the victim's ex. They victim and the woman had kids, 9 and 14. The victim was supposed to pick them up at 3:15, and they refused to hand them over. That led to the argument. The only actual threat the victim made prior to the gun coming out was to take them to court.

Since then, the victim's widow has filed for custody of her step-children, who are now living with their mother and the guy who killed their father.

So many bad decisions in this video, and almost all of them by the shooter (the victim going after him instead of walking away was a mistake, but way down on the list of errors in this scenario.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The almost calm demeanor of everyone after the guy was killed is also weird to me.

But the thing that sticks out most to me is that this mother is forcing her kids to now live with the man who killed their father. I don't care how unfair she thinks it might be, she should have immediately taken those kids and left the killer for the sake of her children. Her kids come first.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the first bit, shock. Some people go numb when things go to shit. They are the same people who tend to freeze rather than react.

For the second bit, no shit. I'm surprised that CPS didn't give her an ultimatum there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:06 pm For the first bit, shock. Some people go numb when things go to shit. They are the same people who tend to freeze rather than react.
The current wife of the deceased (not the ex-wife) who was filming from her car said she thought it was a paintball gun or similar because the shots were quiet. Not sure if it was integrally suppressed or what, looks like a Ruger PCC to me. She didn't realize what was happening until she she saw that her husband wasn't getting up. It explains her reaction but not the shooter. He knew what was going on.

In her affidavit, Jennifer says that she didn’t realize at the time that Carruth had been using an actual gun; she says thought it was a “some type of stun-gun or paintball gun” because the sound of the shots “was very muffled and not as loud as I know firearms to be.”
https://lawandcrime.com/caught-on-video ... f-defense/

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:06 pm
For the second bit, no shit. I'm surprised that CPS didn't give her an ultimatum there.
She's a judge in Lubbock, appointed by the Governor.

Gov. Greg Abbott appointed Anne-Marie Carruth judge of the 72nd Judicial District Court in Crosby and Lubbock Counties in January 2021 to take over the seat for a term set to expire at the end of 2022.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the ex wife of the shooter, not the mother of the children of the dead father.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:16 pm That's the ex wife of the shooter, not the mother of the children of the dead father.
They're still married but estranged and have filed for divorce.

But correct, not the mother (shooter's current girlfriend).
Carruth was identified in a Nov. 8 affidavit signed by Judge Anne-Marie Carruth, who wrote that she was "notified that my husband, William Kyle Carruth, is under investigation for the shooting and killing of his girlfriend's children's father after he attempted to pick up his children late Friday afternoon."

"...my husband ... is under investigation for the shooting and killing of his girlfriend's children's father ..."
Texas. America.

MYT