RIP Alan Rickman

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

RIP Alan Rickman

Post by gilraen »

Died of cancer this morning, at the age of 69.

Just...unbelievably sad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35313604
Paingod

Re: RIP Alan Rickman

Post by Paingod »

Someone really needs to find this Cancer asshole and put him down for good. I'm tired of hearing about him killing all these people.

Sad news, though. I thought he was good at what he did and he'll be missed. :(
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That sucks, always liked him. He was of course brilliant as Severus Snape, but to me he'll always be Hans Gruber from Die Hard.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

^^^ this. It is almost as if the Snape character was written with him in mind (and I didn't like the movies but enjoyed the books).

And as Hans Gruber, he made Die Hard. "Relax Theo, it is the time of miracles. . . "

RIP. huge loss.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Loved him as Snape and Hans Gruber was a fantastic villain. Heard this morning that there was a list of the top 100 villains released and Hans was #46. To me it should be higher but I need to see the list.

RIP

Cancer sucks.

edit: Here is the list. I think I would move him up the list.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ahhh snap - Snape died. :(

I've never seen Die Hard so my earliest memory of his is from Prince of Thieves. "Why a spoon? Because it will HURT MORE!!!"
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I liked him best in Robin Hood. Damn it seems every week now a famous person Ive grown up with is passing away. getting scary. And now two at age 69 which is no longer supposed to be old old. Geez. Sad. RIP.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just thinking back, his voice over of Marvin in Hitchhiker's was hilarious and his character in Galaxy Quest I enjoyed.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote:And now two at age 69 which is no longer supposed to be old old.
It's just statistics. It's stinks to fall in the bottom half of the bell curve, but someone has to.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He was great in so many roles I almost feel bad saying Snape was my favorite but damn, I think it was.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lassr wrote:Just thinking back, his voice over of Marvin in Hitchhiker's was hilarious and his character in Galaxy Quest I enjoyed.
I forgot that!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had never seen him before Die Hard and he stole that movie. And if you haven't seen Quigley Down Under, you need to check that out. I love that Western.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

One of my favorite actors. I can't actually remember which movie of his I happened to watch, that just had that effect, where I absolutely HAD to watch other movies that he'd been in. It wasn't Die Hard, and I didn't see Robin Hood until years later..it may have been Mesmer or Rasputin. This was in the age of VHS rentals, some movies took forever to find, but it was totally worth the effort.

One of my biggest regrets is never getting a chance to see him on stage.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Die Hard was his first movie. And 69? I'm starting to sweat a little, and that puts dbt into Walking Dead territory.

RIP
Last edited by tgb on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Odin

Post by Odin »

By Grapthar's Hammer, what an actor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lassr wrote:Just thinking back, his voice over of Marvin in Hitchhiker's was hilarious and his character in Galaxy Quest I enjoyed.
He was hilarious as Metatron in Dogma as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Brian

Post by Brian »

So in the past few weeks we've lost Lemmy (70 - Cancer), Bowie (69 - Cancer), and now Rickman (69 - Cancer) all entertainers from the UK.

So did Death just get lost on the way to Keith Richards house? (72)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ha Quigley . I was glad to see him get the ending he got there :)
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Brian wrote:So in the past few weeks we've lost Lemmy (70 - Cancer), Bowie (69 - Cancer), and now Rickman (69 - Cancer) all entertainers from the UK.

So did Death just get lost on the way to Keith Richards house? (72)
Cancer is scared that if it get's in Keef's body it will kill it on contact. Keith Richards IS
the cure to cancer. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:Ahhh snap - Snape died. :(

I've never seen Die Hard so my earliest memory of his is from Prince of Thieves. "Why a spoon? Because it will HURT MORE!!!"
Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?

Because it's dull, you twit! It'll hurt more!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm just going to leave this here. There's something in my eye.
"When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, 'After all this time?' And I will say, 'Always.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Bell - Mike Oldfield. with Alan Rickman reading instrument names in the loftiest method ever.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Isgrimnur wrote:

As great as Rickman was as the Sheriff of Nottingham, every time I try to picture the character, all I can see is Roger Rees as the Sheriff or Rottingham from Men In Tights.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

A couple of my favorite things from him:

The Barchester Chronicles: This is one of my favorite classic pieces of literature and Rickman really nailed the oily character of Obadiah Slope. Impressive work on a complex character.

Something the Lord Made: This was a HBO film about the people who first developed heart surgery on humans. Rickman plays Alfred Blalock, the doctor credited with developing the procedures, but Mos Def was also excellent as Vivian Thomas, the "lab tech" who did all of the practical experimentation on truly developed the procedures, even though he was not and would never be a doctor. just a wonderful film.
No sig, must scream, etc.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:He was great in so many roles I almost feel bad saying Snape was my favorite but damn, I think it was.
I have to go with Hans. My wife knows me well enough to have told me this morning that Hans Gruber had died, not that Snape had died.
Isgrimnur wrote:

That line and his performance almost made Robin Hood bearable. Almost.
gilraen wrote:One of my biggest regrets is never getting a chance to see him on stage.
I saw him probably 20 years ago or so in the Noel Coward play Private Lives on Broadway. It was my first (and still only) Broadway experience, and he was great.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spock, the Goblin King, and now Snape.

It is a sad time to be a middle-aged nerd.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote:
He was hilarious as Metatron in Dogma as well.
Yeah, I was thinking of that role too. He had such a great deadpan. RIP
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Eye in the Sky
Release Date: 11 March 2016
Alan Rickman ... Lieutenant General Frank Benson
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MHS

Post by MHS »

This one bums me out even more than Bowie. I really loved him in everything I saw him in.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
AjD

Post by AjD »

R.i.P. Too young. Enjoyed him in everything.

His performance in Galaxy Quest was legendary though. My vote for his greatest role. It's impossible to imagine another actor topping it.

Also, as has been pointed out before... Galaxy Quest is the greatest Star Trek movie ever made. (Or least it's tied for #1!)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

MHS wrote:This one bums me out even more than Bowie. I really loved him in everything I saw him in.
My thoughts exactly.

Just the other day I got sidetracked on Youtube and was watching people do impressions. The impressions of Rickman were terrific. And the clip from when he came on the show and took the host to task for the impressions... :lol:

Damn. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

AjD wrote:R.i.P. Too young. Enjoyed him in everything.

His performance in Galaxy Quest was legendary though. My vote for his greatest role. It's impossible to imagine another actor topping it.

Also, as has been pointed out before... Galaxy Quest is the greatest Star Trek movie ever made. (Or least it's tied for #1!)
He was a great character actor, and that was my favorite role of his, too. Also liked him in Bottle Shock. He will be missed.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Damn it! No! :(

What a classy actor. One of my favourite roles of his is actually from an HBO movie where he plays the surgeon performing the first open-heart surgery. Something The Lord Made

Consequently, just last week I watched A Little Chaos where he plays King Louis XIV.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Yeah, was really hoping this was a hoax ala the recent trend, but instead it's another death to cancer. Also a recent trend.

All the above listed roles are my favorites. The fact that he could play a wizard, a terrorist, a cheating businessman, and a Shakespearean-trained actor playing an alien with a prosthetic head (along with about a dozen others) speaks for his versatility, and the fact that he is so beloved while playing those roles, most of them villains, speaks to his talent. It may sound strange, but I would hate to feel the pain that Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, and Daniel Radcliff are all feeling, having grown up with such an apparently wonderful man for more than a decade.

RIP, Severus. RIP, Hans. RIP, Sir Alexander Dane.

In many ways, RIP, my childhood.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing wrote:That sucks, always liked him. He was of course brilliant as Severus Snape, but to me he'll always be Hans Gruber from Die Hard.
This was his best role, quite a memorable villain. I also thought he was a great villain in Robinhood as the Sheriff of Nottingham.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Watch him play a creepy stalker in Dust, his last short film. One line of dialogue (not by him) in the entire 7 minute movie.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote:
I forgot that!
Just watched it last Weekend :(. Classic 90's villain. Loxly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJk-yQadw_U

"And Call of Christmas!"

He was great as Hans Gurber but I loved his Sheriff of Nottingham.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hyena wrote:It may sound strange, but I would hate to feel the pain that Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, and Daniel Radcliff are all feeling, having grown up with such an apparently wonderful man for more than a decade.
Probably the closest he ever came to having a family:
[Rima] Horton, 68, and Rickman never had any children. Even though the pair was together for decades, they decided not to have any kids. The actor is cited as previously saying that he would have loved to have a family, but Horton didn't want any children and he respected her decision.

“You should remember I am not the only one involved. There is another person here,” he said. “I would have loved a family. Sometimes I think that in an ideal world, three children, aged 12, 10 and 8, would be dropped on us and we would be great parents for that family.”