Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rshetts2

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by rshetts2 »

Well I decided to give PVP another go with my new team and have not lost a single battle out of around 30 fights. The thing is those 30 fights would have put me to tier one, under the old system. Under the new one I just hit tier 10. Under the old system it took you 2 wins to jump a tier, under the new one, its at least 5. They really turned PVP into a major time sink and Im not sure if its its worth the effort. That being said, I did read that the accumulated reward surpass what you got through hitting tier 1 in the old system, once you hit tier 8 so, PVP requires a lot more effort but it should eventually pay off, if youre willing to commit to the major time sink its become. On the plus side it seems that you are rewarded a random trait stone for every win and Ive picked up a few runic and arcane stones during my run. So if you need stones and you have a team you can win with, PVP may be a good way to get some.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
T

Post by T »

How does the PvP grind compare to MPQ comparing it to their PvP and PvE? I've cut down my time in MPQ due to it being a major time sync while making barely any progress. I was thinking of PvPing in GoW instead.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

T wrote:How does the PvP grind compare to MPQ comparing it to their PvP and PvE? I've cut down my time in MPQ due to it being a major time sync while making barely any progress. I was thinking of PvPing in GoW instead.
Its similar but GOW has the added bonus that your team doesnt leave battle hurt like MPQ so theres no heal issues. If your team is strong enough and you win most of your battles, you can accumulate a decent amount of resources. In MPQ I tend to PVE more than PVP as I find the PVP to be way too grindy for my taste. PVE is pretty grindy as well but I have a couple of good teams that can handle PVE without taking a ton of damage and that make PVE the better option for me.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
T

Post by T »

rshetts2 wrote:
T wrote:How does the PvP grind compare to MPQ comparing it to their PvP and PvE? I've cut down my time in MPQ due to it being a major time sync while making barely any progress. I was thinking of PvPing in GoW instead.
Its similar but GOW has the added bonus that your team doesnt leave battle hurt like MPQ so theres no heal issues. If your team is strong enough and you win most of your battles, you can accumulate a decent amount of resources. In MPQ I tend to PVE more than PVP as I find the PVP to be way too grindy for my taste. PVE is pretty grindy as well but I have a couple of good teams that can handle PVE without taking a ton of damage and that make PVE the better option for me.
Good point about not having to heal. I mostly PvE too for progression rewards and just do Shield in PvP. Lately I've also just been going to 300 in PvP for the token and 10 pack. I guess these games have to be a grind to get you to spend money.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ive done PVP quite a bit the past two weeks with my new team, Gorgotha, Alastair, Rowanne and Creeping Death/Sorc hero. This team is killing it. I have lost two battles and both losses were due to bad boards more than anything else. I find the PVP grind in GoW more interesting than Marvel mostly because there is a huge variety in the teams you face, where as in Marvel, whether its PVE or PVP battles seem very similar through out. Also the PVP grind in GoW gives you a bunch of resources for your efforts. It takes more effort than the old PVP but the accumulated rewards are much better. If you have a team that can win consistently, PVP is a good way to go.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Once I got a set of armor providing +100% to gold, PvP became the way to go. Of course I'm donating quite a bit to the guild to get the 12 Glory Chest keys as often as possible. I've attached my standard offensive roster.

Undefeated in 117 (and counting):

Gold donation:

The team:

Morthani's Scythe is the necromancer's class weapon.
I saved up gems and souls (and traitstones) until some decent undead option came available on the rewards tab of the shop. Then I maxed out the Morthani's Will.
The Banshee is mostly good for the purple multiplier.
Twisted Hero is the next candidate for swapping out. I'd switch to Sunweaver, but I'd lose out on the opportunity to get +5 to Magic when using TH's spell. Getting a +5 to my hero's magic when dropping Morthani's Scythe is a battle-changer.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
T

Post by T »

Good to hear about PvP. I pretty much quit MPQ PvP except for the Shield. And the MPQ PvE is too much of a grind. I hope to get into some GoW PvP soon, not enough time and too many other games. I think I have a pretty good team for my level.

You guys are crushing it! Meal, congrats on the Mythic! And thanks to you and everyone else for all of the guild rewards. I have 500 keys I will open this weekend.

Meal, I like your color distribution. With bonus purple and three with purple to catch the overflow.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Looking good Meal! 117 straight wins! Ive been a bit slow on the guild gold donations as Im trying to get my kingdoms leveled up properly. PVP is a good way to make gold as well and Ive been able to build up my kingdoms, something that I had ignored earlier, to my detriment. I do appreciate all the big donations people are making and figure now that I am able to make a serious PVP run Ill be able to start making more substantial donations as well.
T

Post by T »

As a casual player who has logged in almost every day since this was released I used to give all of my gold to the guild until they added kingdoms. Now I still always give to the guild but most of it goes to kingdoms as it's like compound interest. I almost always get one or more tributes when I log in. Once my kingdoms are leveled it will all go to the guild.

One thing I love about this over MPQ is the generous rewards. It takes forever to get anywhere in MPQ. The 3* drop rate is pathetic. And I like that the more you pay the better the rewards.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The streak ended at 146. Lost to a goblin team 35 levels below me and an extremely unfavorable board. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
T

Post by T »

Sorry to hear that Meal. 146 is still an impressive streak.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Not a big deal. Somewhat liberating, actually, as now I can PvP vs. teams much higher level than I just to see how I'd match up. That streak got annoying to try to maintain after a while. :)
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The Meal wrote:Not a big deal. Somewhat liberating, actually, as now I can PvP vs. teams much higher level than I just to see how I'd match up. That streak got annoying to try to maintain after a while. :)
Im 160-1 with my current team, my loss was somewhere in the middle. Guess how I lost that one battle.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, after going 3 months with no legendary drops at all, I got 2 within a few days. Psion dropped first (meh) and then Bone Dragon dropped this evening (woohoo). Finally a good legendary. I may switch back to Necro for a while just to have some fun with him. I also finally got Green Slime to drop a few days ago as well. RNG is a strange, strange bitch. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
T

Post by T »

ColdSteel wrote:Well, after going 3 months with no legendary drops at all, I got 2 within a few days. Psion dropped first (meh) and then Bone Dragon dropped this evening (woohoo). Finally a good legendary. I may switch back to Necro for a while just to have some fun with him. I also finally got Green Slime to drop a few days ago as well. RNG is a strange, strange bitch. :D
Good to hear! Did you open a bunch at a time? I forgot to open my 500+ tokens this weekend.

The Green Slime is great. It's relatively low mana to activate and it has two colors, so it fires off quite often. Not to mention the buf it gets every time it casts. If magic gets bumped early the stats can get crazy. I have a Valkyrie feeding it blue and I have nature link and am working on water link.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I've been playing pretty much every day. I got Bone Dragon maybe a week ago. I'm sure this is far from ideal, but my team does pretty well: Sunweaver, Sparky, Bone Dragon, and Brian.I buff up Sunweaver, then let fly. the more armor my opponent has, the better. Brian pretty much just takes up space right now. I wanted something to catch the stray greens, and he'll throw in his random buffs. I suppose I COULD just put a goblin in that last slot and do a little sniping.
No sig, must scream, etc.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

paulbaxter wrote:I've been playing pretty much every day. I got Bone Dragon maybe a week ago. I'm sure this is far from ideal, but my team does pretty well: Sunweaver, Sparky, Bone Dragon, and Brian.I buff up Sunweaver, then let fly. the more armor my opponent has, the better. Brian pretty much just takes up space right now. I wanted something to catch the stray greens, and he'll throw in his random buffs. I suppose I COULD just put a goblin in that last slot and do a little sniping.
Since my team is built on pumping armor, I hate the Bone Dragon and actively avoid him when possible. I can handle most other teams but a team with the Bone Dragon is the bane of my existence.
T

Post by T »

Opened 575 keys last night and pulled 4 legendaries. Infernal King, which I had, and Celestasia, WebSpinner and Sheggra, which I did not have. Was able to ascend my Valkyrie a level and get it close to its third trait, water link. All in all a good haul. Also, another case for hoarding keys.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

T wrote:Also, another case for hoarding keys.
I don't know. I tried the hording keys approach and got absolutely nothing. However, both of the legendary troops I got last week were from opening only 13 chests at a time. RNG man, it givith, it taketh away.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
T

Post by T »

ColdSteel wrote:
T wrote:Also, another case for hoarding keys.
I don't know. I tried the hording keys approach and got absolutely nothing. However, both of the legendary troops I got last week were from opening only 13 chests at a time. RNG man, it givith, it taketh away.
Fair enough. I will stick with what works for me. I should add all of the legendaries were from glory and gem keys, so about 250 or so. Only had 4 or so gem keys, but I managed to get a legendary.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I can't see there being code involved which provides more better outcomes for key hoarders. However, a chest popped now which provides benefit definitely surpasses waiting a month or two to receive that benefit.

But definitely use what works for you!
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Anyone know why I can't spend gems on VIP keys? I have 1k gems but the buttons for buying are grayed out.

Also I have switched teams. I decided that since I can't beat em, I might as well join em. I have gone complete cheese. Using 1 valk and 3 druids with the valk in spot 2. Very, very fast wins.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just tried this. It's pretty good. My goblin team is faster but only because of the ability go take another turn. I also have a Treant team that's about this fast. Treant is just incredible fully leveled and traited.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Cortilian wrote:Anyone know why I can't spend gems on VIP keys? I have 1k gems but the buttons for buying are grayed out.

Also I have switched teams. I decided that since I can't beat em, I might as well join em. I have gone complete cheese. Using 1 valk and 3 druids with the valk in spot 2. Very, very fast wins.
You have to be VIP level 5 to access VIP chests, Im assuming you are not and thats why you are grayed out.

I tried the Valk/Druid team and its pretty good but I dont like the color limitation. My team covers all the colors so its very rare that I have any mana issues. Of course its easier to put the Valk/Druid team together, so if you dont have a lot of higher level troops its a good team to rely on until you do. I may slot it as my defensive team for awhile and see how it does.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Thanks on the VIP level thing. That explains it. Bummer
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Found this "gem" a week ago. Need help for tacticalcrack addiction. :wub:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote:The team:

I saved up gems and souls (and traitstones) until some decent undead option came available on the rewards tab of the shop. Then I maxed out the Morthani's Will.
Twisted Hero is the next candidate for swapping out. I'd switch to Sunweaver, but I'd lose out on the opportunity to get +5 to Magic when using TH's spell. Getting a +5 to my hero's magic when dropping Morthani's Scythe is a battle-changer.
Oh my. TH was swapped out for Giant Spider. When that power goes off (blue/green to 13), I get to PICK which color on the map gets replaced with purples. And if I've already lost a slot (my hero at the top of the list), then it also deploys a Spider Swarm (which absorbs damage, and poisons others when giving out skull damage) though that's so secondary as to be nearly nothing. Swapping a full color of gems for purples? That's nearly an instant win for me right there. Infinitely undefeated since making this swap.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Dave, get yourself into a guild ASAP (preferably the Qt3 guild we're all in). Really provides a lot of benefit to you for no cost. Other than that, have fun finding a team which works for you. You'll figure out the cheesy team options (goblins, rock worms, etc.) with any amount of PvP battling, but it's lots more fun to put your own group together.

Before you go the PvP route, try to establish Level 4 Kingdoms in each of the lands. Earn souls by doing the side quests in each land (+100 souls for each end quest victory, which is a lot at the early levels). Don't kill yourself in the process of finding The One True Team™ -- enjoy the process of figuring out what works for you.

Save all gems until you can purchase the top tier (450 gems?) armor. You'll get to choose between +100% souls or +100% gold (obviously gold is the correct choice, and then spend crazy amounts in your guild for additional gems and glory keys -- don't bother with spending for maps or souls unless you need to unlock keys/gems).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The Meal wrote:Dave, get yourself into a guild ASAP (preferably the Qt3 guild we're all in). Really provides a lot of benefit to you for no cost. Other than that, have fun finding a team which works for you. You'll figure out the cheesy team options (goblins, rock worms, etc.) with any amount of PvP battling, but it's lots more fun to put your own group together.

Before you go the PvP route, try to establish Level 4 Kingdoms in each of the lands. Earn souls by doing the side quests in each land (+100 souls for each end quest victory, which is a lot at the early levels). Don't kill yourself in the process of finding The One True Team™ -- enjoy the process of figuring out what works for you.

Save all gems until you can purchase the top tier (450 gems?) armor. You'll get to choose between +100% souls or +100% gold (obviously gold is the correct choice, and then spend crazy amounts in your guild for additional gems and glory keys -- don't bother with spending for maps or souls unless you need to unlock keys/gems).
The only thing I would add is to not run too many challenges early unless you really need the souls badly. Instead, wait until you can put together a soul farming team. A Valkyre is a great soul farmer as she give you 6 extra souls with each cast. Keeper of souls with his first trait active increases souls earned in battle by 50%. These two combined can more than double your standard soul earnings in challenges.
T

Post by T »

The Meal wrote:

Oh my. TH was swapped out for Giant Spider. When that power goes off (blue/green to 13), I get to PICK which color on the map gets replaced with purples. And if I've already lost a slot (my hero at the top of the list), then it also deploys a Spider Swarm (which absorbs damage, and poisons others when giving out skull damage) though that's so secondary as to be nearly nothing. Swapping a full color of gems for purples? That's nearly an instant win for me right there. Infinitely undefeated since making this swap.
I was going to suggest a purple generator to you. If you have a Green Slime, try that too. It takes less mana to charge than the Spider and I believe it has a link trait that boosts one of its own colors, green. Use a Valkyrie to feed it blue, which also has a blue link skill. The Slime also gets a random boost every time it casts.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I don't have one (yet), but will consider it. The Giant Spider also boosts my purple matches. A match-3 fills 10 mana (as the Banshee also boosts purple). Once I get a Green Slime I'll take him out for a spin.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

T wrote:
The Meal wrote:

I was going to suggest a purple generator to you. If you have a Green Slime, try that too. It takes less mana to charge than the Spider and I believe it has a link trait that boosts one of its own colors, green. Use a Valkyrie to feed it blue, which also has a blue link skill. The Slime also gets a random boost every time it casts.
I believe Creeping Death is the Necro class weapon. Is Morthani's Scythe possibly a purple reward weapon? I have both. Its hard to say which might be the better of the two. Ill have to switch over to Morthani's scythe and try it out before I can say that for sure. CD does 14 damage to all and places 2 death marks ( on your weakest and strongest opponents), where as MS does 16 (?) to all and drops skulls. I will say that if any of your death marks fire off, its usually game over because the one that usually fires goes on the strongest opponent. OTOH, MS does a bit more damage and drops skulls which can cause cascades if they match. Ill definitely have to give MS a goe and see how she pans out.
T

Post by T »

I'm working on the Necromancer weapon now. The only give is that I miss the Sorcerer skill that gives +1 to purple matches. Once I get it I'll switch back to the Sorcerer.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

T wrote:I'm working on the Necromancer weapon now. The only give is that I miss the Sorcerer skill that gives +1 to purple matches. Once I get it I'll switch back to the Sorcerer.
The trade off is that you get +5 to magic with a purple weapon as a Necro. Thats a really nice bump to spell damage, especially when the most powerful necro weapons are damage to all weapons. Thats an extra 20 damage spread over your opponents team. Thats hard to give up as well.
T

Post by T »

rshetts2 wrote:
T wrote:I'm working on the Necromancer weapon now. The only give is that I miss the Sorcerer skill that gives +1 to purple matches. Once I get it I'll switch back to the Sorcerer.
The trade off is that you get +5 to magic with a purple weapon as a Necro. Thats a really nice bump to spell damage, especially when the most powerful necro weapons are damage to all weapons. Thats an extra 20 damage spread over your opponents team. Thats hard to give up as well.
I believe the Sorcerer has a similar magic boost to purple weapons.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

The Meal wrote:Dave, get yourself into a guild ASAP (preferably the Qt3 guild we're all in). Really provides a lot of benefit to you for no cost. Other than that, have fun finding a team which works for you. You'll figure out the cheesy team options (goblins, rock worms, etc.) with any amount of PvP battling, but it's lots more fun to put your own group together.

I haven't joined a guild yet. It's such a short list of ones to join when I click on the guild icon. Is there a way to get to a larger guild list to join?

So far I've completed all the quests in 6 different locations on the main map.
I'm at level 40 with about 40k in gold, 233 keys, 46 glory and 19 gems.
My best weapon is a GREEN 8-point damage bow.
My favorite party members are a BLUE/BROWN epic level 13 knight that increases everyone's attack buy 3. Next a RED/YELLOW level 10 Valkyrie that turns another color to all blue gems. And last in my favorite party is a Purple level 10 Skeleton that creates 7 skulls, gains 4 armor AND gains an extra turn, too!

It seems important to have a party that uses every color available.

Thanks, for all the suggestions.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Dave Allen wrote:

I haven't joined a guild yet. It's such a short list of ones to join when I click on the guild icon. Is there a way to get to a larger guild list to join?

So far I've completed all the quests in 6 different locations on the main map.
I'm at level 40 with about 40k in gold, 233 keys, 46 glory and 19 gems.
My best weapon is a GREEN 8-point damage bow.
My favorite party members are a BLUE/BROWN epic level 13 knight that increases everyone's attack buy 3. Next a RED/YELLOW level 10 Valkyrie that turns another color to all blue gems. And last in my favorite party is a Purple level 10 Skeleton that creates 7 skulls, gains 4 armor AND gains an extra turn, too!

It seems important to have a party that uses every color available.

Thanks, for all the suggestions.

Most of us here are in the guild started by Quarter to Three. Drop your account ID in the thread there and you should get an invite. Heres the thread: http://forum.quartertothree.com/t/gems- ... /75789/661

If youre not registered over there then drop your account ID name here and one of us can let them know over there.

PS: to find your account invite code just hit the settings button ( It looks like a copper gear ) and youll find the invite code at the bottom of that screen.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

rshetts2 wrote: Most of us here are in the guild started by Quarter to Three. Drop your account ID in the thread there and you should get an invite. Heres the thread: http://forum.quartertothree.com/t/gems- ... /75789/661
Just signed up over there - approval pending. Thanks.

T

Post by T »

Patch 2.01 just hit. The highlights, there's more than this. Explore Mode sounds like a good addition.

Explore Mode
A new game mode has been added in ALL Kingdoms. It is accessible once that Kingdom’s quest line is finished.
Explore Mode throws you into a random battle from its Kingdom, with a few troops changed around to keep it fresh, and in return offers you a double chance of Runic Traitstones, and a triple chance at Arcane & Celestial Traitstones.
As a bonus feature, the Explore Menu shows the traitstones available in each Kingdom too!
Dual Troop Types
Up until now, the poor Undead Dragon had to decide if he was Undead, or Dragon. So we asked ourselves… ¿Por qué no los dos? And now he gets to be both (and he feels whole again).
Apart from relieving stress on the Legion of Undead Dragons out there, this addition is sure to mix up a few team comps as new combinations of troops have access to new bonuses.
Not all troops have a double troop type, but you’ll find a goodly number of them that do!
Troop Type Changes
In order to make Double Troop Types work, and to keep things balanced as we continue to pour lots of new troops into the game, we’ve had to add some extra troop types!
Unfortunately, that means the demise of the Marauder as a type; its members (along with many of the Wildfolk) have run off to join the new factions.

To summarize, here are the changes:
* We’ve added: Mechs, Raksha, Wargare, Centaur, Tauros, Orc, Goblin, Naga, Rogue, Mystic, Stryx, Merfolk
* We’ve removed: Marauder
* Marauders & most Wildfolk have migrated to the types above
* A few Wildfolk have stubbornly remained Wildfolk, and have been joined by a few Marauders who didn’t fit anywhere else.
Status Effects
We have 2 new status effects, and a couple of significant changes:
* WEB: Much like Entangle with Attack, Web reduces a target’s Magic skill to 0
* STUN: A stunned troop no longer gain benefits from any of its traits
* DEATH MARK: We have removed the 2 turn grace period at the start of this effect – now it actually feels dangerous!
* ENTANGLE: This is no longer removed by Attack buffs, in fact it now stops any Attack buffs applying while in effect. Web works similarly with Magic Buffs.
Trait Changes
We have added new Slayer and Bond traits for the new Troop types.
We have added new traits for the 2 new status effects.
* Snare: Inflict Web when doing Skull damage
* Slippery: Immunity to Web
* Stalker: Deal double Skull damage vs. Webbed enemies.
* Knockout: Inflict Stun when doing Skull damage
* Thick Head: Immunity to Stun
* Clobber: Deal double Skull damage vs. Stunned enemies.
We have added 2 new immunities:
* Indigestible: Immunity to Devour
* Mana Shield: Immunity to Mana Burn
We have modified Impervious to include the new immunities.
Balance Changes
Conditional effect based on number of gems on the board increased required Gems from 10 to 13, as 10 was too easy to achieve, and 13 would still be achieved in 80% of those cases.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

They made some nice changes to Gems of War. Its great that you can now focus farm specific trait stones. That was much needed. One change that will really help my team is the change in death marks. Now they can fire off immediately instead of having a 2 turn stall. That helps quite a bit. One minor change not mentioned is the new mini game button on the in game task bar. Not a big deal but now you dont have to find the kingdom for treasure hunt and arena, you can get to them straight from the task bar now. Much easier. MPQ could take a hint from this game. Add content thats helpful to the players instead of making things more PTW every update.

BTW is you want to spend a little and support the game I think the best bang for the buck may be the daily treasure scroll purchase. You get 45 maps (over 15 days) and the amount of resources you can get per map makes it a decent deal. The average is around 3 traitstones per map, so you should get around 135 stones out of this plus the decent amount of gold, souls, gems and gem keys that you get.