Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:44 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:42 pm Here Rallys is Checkers. Same menu. Love the cheeseburger and fries.
Sorry they are mostly Checker's here too. :oops: I haven't seen Rally's in almost decade.
They've really cut their menu down during Covid.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't been since COVID. They started raising prices before inflation took off and I had already cut my fast food intake down to next to nothing. I haven't seen coupons from them in the mail in years either.

But two Checker fri burgers for $3 was a good value in the day and I loved how they knew that so many of their customer but their fries on their burgers that they actually made it a menu item.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get an email from them ALL THE TIME wanting me to sign up for their app and get free food. But I already signed up hence the email address. I just ignore them.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:23 pm

Depending of course on individual restaurant quality, it's so much better than KFC. The chicken itself, the tenders with the blackened ranch sauce... the new chicken sandwich really is amazing if you're into a giant hunk of juicy white meat. The shrimp and fish are so-so, but I still order them occasionally as there aren't a lot of options for fast food and cocktail sauce is delicious. Note that almost everything is spiced though, even the mild/base options.

The sides are less captivating. Mrs. Nym loves the macaroni & cheese but it's pretty bland. The red beans and rice are delightfully different, but I heard they're leaving the menu. The cajun fries are surprisingly good when hot! The biscuits are kinda dry, but that's just a biscuit thing. The desserts are OK.
I don't really have anything to compare it against. Plus we don't really have fast-food much beyond the occasional Little Caesars pizza.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's what I'm here for. I'm dedicated to dying directly from fast food over-consumption.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And from what I've seen, Ottawa's had Popeye's for quite a long time now. More than 5 years, as far as I'm aware.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I still have yet to try a Popeye's chicken sandwich, but you've collectively made me hungry for a chili dog and fries from Checkers right now.
Stop funding for NPR
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It will never live up to the hype, but it's a damn thick, satisfying slab of moist chicken breast on a bun.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last week I went to McD's for the first time in at least 10 years, maybe 15, and got my old go-to, the double quarter pounder with cheese. It was pretty good. But holy hell, that sandwich + large fries was $10. It might've been a little cheaper if I'd gotten the value meal but I didn't want to bring home a soda just to pour it out. For a few bucks more I could've gotten 5 Guys, which is of course much better. But McD's is much more convenient, being just half a mile away with a drive-thru. I can see myself going back there once or twice a year. 5 Guys is 1.5 miles away and one must go inside and wait for pickup...and since nobody there speaks English, the pickup process never goes smoothly.

A few weeks earlier I had tried a Whopper with cheese, which I used to prefer back when I ate fast food regularly, but I gotta say the McD burger was better. I don't think I'll be back to BK for quite awhile.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 pm I still have yet to try a Popeye's chicken sandwich, but you've collectively made me hungry for a chili dog and fries from Checkers right now.
Had a foot long chilidog and tots from Sonic the other week. Very good. Had not had one since the early 90s. I usually get a burger. Washed it down with a giant cherry limeade.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm Last week I went to McD's for the first time in at least 10 years, maybe 15, and got my old go-to, the double quarter pounder with cheese. It was pretty good. But holy hell, that sandwich + large fries was $10. It might've been a little cheaper if I'd gotten the value meal but I didn't want to bring home a soda just to pour it out. For a few bucks more I could've gotten 5 Guys, which is of course much better. But McD's is much more convenient, being just half a mile away with a drive-thru. I can see myself going back there once or twice a year. 5 Guys is 1.5 miles away and one must go inside and wait for pickup...and since nobody there speaks English, the pickup process never goes smoothly.

A few weeks earlier I had tried a Whopper with cheese, which I used to prefer back when I ate fast food regularly, but I gotta say the McD burger was better. I don't think I'll be back to BK for quite awhile.
I just had a BK $5 meal and the burger was actually pretty bad. Don't know if it's the meat or a change to flame broiling but whichever but it was first fast food burger I'd had in I don't know when and I kinda wished I had gone to Taco Bell instead, which is seem to get every two to three months. Or had been until the lines started getting insane and I became much more conscious about making sure I bring lunches with me when I have to leave the house.

Had a Chili dog from Sonic once when they opened one within driving range and they were selling them for a buck a piece. I haven't been back. I guess I'm spoiled or set in my ways when it comes to coneys because whatever these other places, Dairy Queen, Sonic, Checker's, etc.. call a chili dog, it just not even good fast food to me.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm Last week I went to McD's for the first time in at least 10 years, maybe 15, and got my old go-to, the double quarter pounder with cheese. It was pretty good. But holy hell, that sandwich + large fries was $10. It might've been a little cheaper if I'd gotten the value meal but I didn't want to bring home a soda just to pour it out. For a few bucks more I could've gotten 5 Guys, which is of course much better. But McD's is much more convenient, being just half a mile away with a drive-thru. I can see myself going back there once or twice a year. 5 Guys is 1.5 miles away and one must go inside and wait for pickup...and since nobody there speaks English, the pickup process never goes smoothly.

McDonald's recently upgraded the meat they use for the quarter pounders (it's no longer frozen before cooking) so that would explain why their burger was better.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The quarter pounder (especially the Whopper-esque BLT version) is certainly the better burger now, but the Big Mac ironically always draws me back with its Mac sauce and diced onions. I enjoy them (because fat/salt/sugar), though neither seem like real food.

Is Burger King flame broiled now? I felt like they always were, though I'm pretty sure they weren't. Didn't their burgers always have grill marks? Were they fake? I still find a hot Whopper worth eating, but the rest of their menu is pretty revolting. The alternative and special burgers are often double-patty with few or no vegetables, and I just don't know how anyone can choke them down. (Though I know custom ordering is an option.) It's like Wendy's Baconator that's just barely swallowable due to all the grease any mayo. BK had a creamy peppercorn burger recently and the sauce was fantastic, but I think the default toppings were those damn crispy onions that wind up on everything these days.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As far as I know BK is flame broiled and they always have been. Though I don't know since the coming of the impossible burger. Special orders won't upset them, if they are true to the 70s.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

BK has always been flame-broiled.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mashed: The Untold Truth Of Burger King
Did you know, for instance, it wasn't always called Burger King? The chain started out in 1950s Florida, and it was called Insta-Burger King after one of their key pieces of equipment: a stove called the Insta-Broiler. When the Insta-Broiler went the way of the dodo and was replaced by the now-famous flame-broiler, the name didn't make much sense any more. It became just Burger King in 1961, and it wasn't long after that the so-called Burger Wars began.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks, I think I misunderstood LM's "I just had a BK $5 meal and the burger was actually pretty bad. Don't know if it's the meat or a change to flame broiling...". Were the cheap-ass burgers not broiled, perhaps?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think he meant a change to the process.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love BK. I had two Whopper Jrs thanks to a coupon just the other day. I also like McD again. I was really burnt out on their food because my wife worked there for 2 1/2 years and I went through the menu so many times at lunch with her and her discount. But the switch of meat has vastly improved them. Strangely I liked their old crappy nuggs more than their new stuff. If I want nuggs I go to BK or ChickFilA.

Taco Bell has really improved their beef as well. I just loads of their $1 burritos now. They removed most everything I liked lately except them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I used to love Whoppers back in the day, but the one I had recently was dry, lukewarm, and flavorless...and their fries are nothing to write home about, either.

I wonder where JeffV is. This thread needs a fresh injection of disdain. :wink:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 pm the one I had recently was dry, lukewarm, and flavorless
This was what I ate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 pm I used to love Whoppers back in the day, but the one I had recently was dry, lukewarm, and flavorless
This is every Whopper I've had for the last two or three years. It's bad enough that I have quit eating them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 pm I wonder where JeffV is. This thread needs a fresh injection of disdain. :wink:
This thread never fails to sicken me. The food cited at best is dreadful, and in the case of Chik-fil-A, sponsors hate groups and any of you who patronize them are truly deplorable humans.

But I will say something positive. My kids have a weekly crappy meal habit at McDonald's, the chosen night is Friday, end of their school week. Recently they started "free fries Friday." Their fries do not suck, but I wouldn't normally order them just to have fries and getting anything there to have with it just disgusting. But Meijer sells panko-crusted shrimp, I used to make it with Tater Tots, but it saves me a few cents to get free fries and then make the shrimp and salad to go with it.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And yet you go to Hooters.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was a kid I thought only BK allowed customized burgers. Maybe that was true then but these days everywhere allows you to special order.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Used to be that burger joints pre-made sandwiches that sat under infrared lamps. During peak hours that worked OK. If you wanted one that hadn't been sitting around, you ordered it custom (e.g., without tomatoes) so they'd assemble a fresh one for you. Or, if you knew the magic words, you ordered it "on the grill." 'Course, that meant waiting a few minutes and largely defeated the fast food model.

I still remember the playground version of the BK jingle: "Moldy pickles, moldy lettuce/Special orders, you'll regret it/All we ask is that you let us heave it your way."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 pm And yet you go to Hooters.
I'm disappointed that they are now serving bait shrimp for their Buffalo Shrimp. The wings are fine, though, and my wife likes those and the crab legs (I challenge you to find cheaper crab legs on a menu anywhere). My daughter and my wife are the prime movers when it comes to going there...I just make the best of it (and I do like the 911 buffalo shrimp even if they are on the verge of being popcorn).
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In Canada, Harvey's hinges on the whole customized burger thing. It's what sets them apart.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apparently our Popeyes had the biggest grand opening of any location in Ontario, and they've had to pull in employees from other locations in the Province to handle the load. Part of that success is that it's the location furthest north. To give some perspective, before this the closest location was in Barrie, and then in the Sault and those are more than several hours away. They've had around 1000 people a day since opening a few days ago.

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/pope ... ng-5009163
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never been to one. We dont have one. If we did Id try their chicken once and most likely find it bad as Bojangles and never go back. KFC and ChickfilA are fine for me.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That's a very JeffV-like assumption to make.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Meanwhile, Dominos is offering incentives to get people to order carryout rather than delivery, in the form of a $3 "tip" to be applied to a future carryout order.
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:22 pm Never been to one. We dont have one. If we did Id try their chicken once and most likely find it bad as Bojangles and never go back. KFC and ChickfilA are fine for me.
I’d never thought I would say this but their chicken sandwich beats ChikFilA’s hands down. Seriously.
Last edited by Grifman on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:38 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:22 pm Never been to one. We dont have one. If we did Id try their chicken once and most likely find it bad as Bojangles and never go back. KFC and ChickfilA are fine for me.
I’d never thought I would say this but their chicken sandwich bears ChikFilA’s hands down. Seriously.
+1
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I apparently don't like cajun spics as I think Popeye's is really bad. I'm not a fan of Bojangles either - didn't really have any flavor the time I had it. Chick-Fil-A nuggets (don't like pickle flavor) or KFC for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:45 pm Used to be that burger joints pre-made sandwiches that sat under infrared lamps. During peak hours that worked OK. If you wanted one that hadn't been sitting around, you ordered it custom (e.g., without tomatoes) so they'd assemble a fresh one for you. Or, if you knew the magic words, you ordered it "on the grill." 'Course, that meant waiting a few minutes and largely defeated the fast food model.

I still remember the playground version of the BK jingle: "Moldy pickles, moldy lettuce/Special orders, you'll regret it/All we ask is that you let us heave it your way."
You'd think that, but as someone who worked at Carl's Jr (Hardees in some places)I would just take the burger back, unwrap it, take out the tomato and wrap it back up for delivery :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm I apparently don't like cajun spics as I think Popeye's is really bad. I'm not a fan of Bojangles either - didn't really have any flavor the time I had it. Chick-Fil-A nuggets (don't like pickle flavor) or KFC for me.
Their sandwich isn’t Cajun, but you can get a spicy version if you wish. And I do like me some BoJangles, especially their biscuits - country ham, sausage, steak, chicken - good eating there.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:24 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm I apparently don't like cajun spics as I think Popeye's is really bad. I'm not a fan of Bojangles either - didn't really have any flavor the time I had it. Chick-Fil-A nuggets (don't like pickle flavor) or KFC for me.
Their sandwich isn’t Cajun, but you can get a spicy version if you wish. And I do like me some BoJangles, especially their biscuits - country ham, sausage, steak, chicken - good eating there.
I don't think I've ever had Bojangles fried chicken, but I 100% agree on their breakfast biscuits being good eating.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Their sandwich isn’t Cajun, but you can get a spicy version if you wish.
Sorry, the sign on the store said "Louisiana Kitchen", so I just presumed. Whatever it is - do not like. :) And I didn't try the spicy version - I know my limits. Glad y'all enjoy it though - keeps the lines down at my preferred spots - win/win! :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:42 pm
Their sandwich isn’t Cajun, but you can get a spicy version if you wish.
Sorry, the sign on the store said "Louisiana Kitchen", so I just presumed. Whatever it is - do not like. :) And I didn't try the spicy version - I know my limits. Glad y'all enjoy it though - keeps the lines down at my preferred spots - win/win! :D
Their regular chicken is Cajun, no lie there, it's just that their regular chicken sandwich isn't. I'm guessing that' s because they were trying to compete with ChikFilA and having a purely Cajun sandwich would limit them because everyone doesn't like spicy.