Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Daehawk »

Arbys is too expensive for the food you get now days. Even with coupons. I laugh when I see them. I think to myself its like they're trying to go out of business. The prices are jacked and the food has shrunk. Not like the old days. Also they just slap a folded once wad of meat on the sandwiches now. In the old days it was single pieces of the same amount waded on them. It was more fresh shaved meat like meat and not a plastic packet of meat simply opened and slapped on like you get in a grocery store.

But the prices kill them for me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am
TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 am I was reading along and the author mentioned a "boyfriend" a couple of times. Which made me wonder. That's the only reason I actually checked.
Not sure your point. I'm well aware that the author still could have been male. I thought I made that clear by the rest of my comment. So if you are trying to call me out, you are way off base.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was meant to be humorous.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:confusion-shrug:

Not seeing it. Seems like a (baseless) jab at me. I guess maybe it was humorous to others.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It threw me because it seemed to imply that your original comment came from a 'woke' point of view on gender, but that wasn't at all how I (nor, I bet, anyone really) took your comment. Yours was just editorial in nature. And how you arrived at the curiosity to scroll all the way through to the final author's signature and photo was (IMO) obviously normal given the "this guy" link.

I'd also wager to guess that Issy truly didn't mean it as a jab.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe. But around these parts that gif is generally only rolled out when someone makes a statement that misses something obvious. In this case, I took it to be him pointing out that the author could be gay, and therefore, obviously, still have a boyfriend. Which I clearly hadn't considered. Except I had. And I thought my comment conveyed that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was not meant as a jab. I apologize for any ill feelings my attempt at humor has caused. It was certainly not my intent.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sometimes jokes just land with a thud.

Boring story time: Many years ago, a co-worker/friend told me that he and his wife had gone to see a movie (I forget what it was) and hated it. I joked that if the movie was that bad, they should have just sneaked into a different movie on the way out so as to get their money's worth. He didn't say anything at the time, but the next day he tore me a new one for suggesting that he was dishonest and could possibly do such a thing. He had been stewing about it the whole time and was questioning whether we were actually friends at all. I explained to him that it was just a dumb joke about the circumstances, and had nothing to do with my opinion of him, but he just couldn't wrap his head around it as anything other than an attack against his character. I apologized and we put it behind us, but to this day I still don't understand why it angered him so much.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:49 pm Sometimes jokes just land with a thud.

Boring story time: Many years ago, a co-worker/friend told me that he and his wife had gone to see a movie (I forget what it was) and hated it. I joked that if the movie was that bad, they should have just sneaked into a different movie on the way out so as to get their money's worth. He didn't say anything at the time, but the next day he tore me a new one for suggesting that he was dishonest and could possibly do such a thing. He had been stewing about it the whole time and was questioning whether we were actually friends at all. I explained to him that it was just a dumb joke about the circumstances, and had nothing to do with my opinion of him, but he just couldn't wrap his head around it as anything other than an attack against his character. I apologized and we put it behind us, but to this day I still don't understand why it angered him so much.
He's inherently dishonest, and your "joke" hit a little too close to the truth.

You're welcome. .05 please.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think that's called a personality disorder.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can we just get past all this and return to helping me recreate a Swenson’s Galley Boy in a controlled lab setting? I didn’t realize how much of my world depends on the success of this project until Max set up the kitchen.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 pm This guy (as well as most of the internet) seem convinced that they do add brown sugar to their burgers.
Excellent, now I need to try that for sure. I like that they won't admit to it though:
When I make taco meat I chop up and brown three large yellow onions and then cook two pounds of meat in with that. It isn't the same without the onions because they add a sweetness to the dish. Maybe that's Swenson's secret. It works well as filler too for stretching the meat. It's soooooo much better than the meat cooked without the onions. It's surprising how sweet browned onion can be without any other sweetener.
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:08 pm
Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 pm This guy (as well as most of the internet) seem convinced that they do add brown sugar to their burgers.
Excellent, now I need to try that for sure. I like that they won't admit to it though:
When I make taco meat I chop up and brown three large yellow onions and then cook two pounds of meat in with that. It isn't the same without the onions because they add a sweetness to the dish. Maybe that's Swenson's secret. It works well as filler too for stretching the meat. It's soooooo much better than the meat cooked without the onions. It's surprising how sweet browned onion can be without any other sweetener.
I add chopped onion to my home-made burgers, but it's very apparent they are there. Brown sugar would not be so visible.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At the end of the day, does it really matter whether a genuine Galley Boy has brown sugar in the patties if adding brown sugar to the ground beef lets you make something that tastes the same as a Galley Boy?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll put red dye number 5 in that sonuvabitch if it gets me close to a Galley Boy.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to put raw chopped onion in my meatloaf but discoved a couple years back that sauteing the onion fist until tender then adding them to the ground beef making it a lot better.

Also caramelized onions are a dessert by themselves.

EDIT: Because I spell caramel as carmel so much because thats the way I pronounce it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At one security job I had just finished training a new guy. I made a very obvious joke about trying to stay awake on the night shift. He got royally pissed.

I explained that it was a joke.

He then proceeded to tell me that if I ever suggested that he would fall asleep on duty again, he'd drag me out of the truck and shoot me.

I'd had years of security management experience by then, and there were so many red flags in that conversation that I reported him to management. They chose to ignore him, and kept him on my shift as the only one to back me up. I pointed out that he was a danger and a liability. They said to deal with it.

I resigned. That job wasn't worth getting sued - or killed - over.

Two weeks later he was fired after beating the shit out of a guest. I hope they got trounced in the lawsuit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 am

At one security job I had just finished training a new guy. I made a very obvious joke about trying to stay awake on the night shift. He got royally pissed.

I explained that it was a joke.

He then proceeded to tell me that if I ever suggested that he would fall asleep on duty again, he'd drag me out of the truck and shoot me.

I'd had years of security management experience by then, and there were so many red flags in that conversation that I reported him to management. They chose to ignore him, and kept him on my shift as the only one to back me up. I pointed out that he was a danger and a liability. They said to deal with it.

I resigned. That job wasn't worth getting sued - or killed - over.

Two weeks later he was fired after beating the shit out of a guest. I hope they got trounced in the lawsuit.
Once when one of my coworkers complimented my work I joked that I was coming for his job. As if I could've been the art director. He went to our boss anyway and I ended up having to apologize, but it went on my permanent record so I was screwed forevermore.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You have a permanent record?
God but I wonder what mine looks line and who has it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:30 am You have a permanent record?
God but I wonder what mine looks line and who has it.
Written on papyrus, no doubt.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Papyrus doesn't have all that long a shelf life. I'd guess cuneiform clay tablets myself. :coffee:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt is actually Ea-nasir.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if I can get a copy of my school records.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:31 pm I wonder if I can get a copy of my school records.
Unless your school was obliterated in a nuclear incident, why not? I had to get mine some years ago for a government job I applied for. I think I had to pay some token fee for the transcripts.

To my knowledge, there was nary a mention of the various things that elicited "THIS WILL GO ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD." Not even the time we put a whoopie cushion on the teacher's chair.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So I just contact the last school I attended?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Probably the school district office.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The two colleges I went to had the means to request on their website.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I made turkey burgers for supper tonight. I forgot to try adding some brown sugar to the ground meat to see if it would improve the flavor.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you try requesting your permanent records from school? That might work too.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used 100% ground pork in my chili starter...deeelish.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:57 pm I used 100% ground pork in my chili starter...deeelish.
Same in my taco meat. I was thinking pork is "the other white meat" so it should be better for you than beef, but I'm not so sure? :think: It sure doesn't have much grease to skim out of the pan.

I may try substituting some tofu for some of the ground pork. I watched a Hot Thai Kitchen episode where Pai completely replaced the ground pork in Larb Moo with tofu. Don't think I can go that far, but tofu is cheaper.
Stop funding for NPR
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 pm This gal :shifty: (as well as most of the internet) seem convinced that they do add brown sugar to their burgers.
I’ve been told in the years since I first made this recipe that Swenson’s swears up and down they don’t use brown sugar in their burgers. But there is SOMETHING adding a hint of sweetness. Whether that’s brown sugar, honey or some other kind of sugar additive, there’s definitely something proprietary about these burgers that makes them so sweet and tasty. My best guess is brown sugar, but feel free to do some experimenting on your own and report back to me what you think they use in the burgers to get that signature sweet taste!
I had to laugh at the photo the writer posted of the Swenson's "at the end of his driveway". From the sign alone, I knew exactly which Swenson's he was referring to AND the apartment complex he lives in.

edit: cool, they were just voted Best Burger in Ohio by Readers' Digest.
I tried this with ground turkey tonight, although I didn't have any of the stuff for the condiments and used a naan instead of a bun. Still it tasted pretty good. There was a lot of surface caramelization (and scorched sugar to be scraped out of the pan when I was done cooking it), but the burger didn't really taste sweet as such and I couldn't specifically taste the brown sugar (but I sure could smell it for the first couple of minutes while the meat was cooking).

All in all, it didn't end up nearly as weird as I expected, even if it was the most Daehawk thing I've eaten in years.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys eat weird stuff :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:39 pm You guys eat weird stuff :)
You still struggling to find the perfect red chili and peanut butter flavored potato chip?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That actually sounds like it would work....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Heathens. The lot of ya.
He won. Period.
Roman

Post by Roman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:27 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:39 pm You guys eat weird stuff :)
You still struggling to find the perfect red chili and peanut butter flavored potato chip?
Speaking of peanuts - I bought some new salsa from trader joes on Thursday. Had peanuts added to it - really really liked it.
Salsa was an odd consistency- almost like butter chicken or korma.
I’m getting more next time I hit the states.
https://www.traderjoes.com/home/product ... ate-073992
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Chili & peanuts? This thread has turned Thai for sure.
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

See, fundamentally the Crunchwrap is a great idea. It's a unique shape. It combines the softness of a tortilla with the crunch of a tostada. Its contents is where it lacks. The classic Crunchwrap (the only one available here most of the time) contains ground beef, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, and nacho cheese sauce. Minus the cheese sauce, THAT'S CALLED A TACO SUPREME! This is not interesting. This is not innovative.

But today I felt like a Crunchwrap. Then I saw you could add red sauce to it. RED SAUCE. This is me and red sauce:

Then I ate it all and forgot to taste it because I was high. Filled my belly though! And got in my moustache.