Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by TheMix »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:19 pm Thanks for taking the time to explain. It still takes me out of any VR demo that I see, but it is what it is.
Trust me, when the headcrab leaps for your face, you won't be thinking "where are my arms?". :D

Edited for top of page nonsense....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In fact, you'll be so busy looking for headcrabs that you won't notice you don't have arms. You won't notice anything except the sights on your gun, in fact. They could probably erase your fingers one at a time and you wouldn't notice.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:56 pm In fact, you'll be so busy looking for headcrabs that you won't notice you don't have arms. You won't notice anything except the sights on your gun, in fact. They could probably erase your fingers one at a time and you wouldn't notice.
They do some pretty cool things with that in Hand Physics Lab, for one thing your in-game hand will be lopped off if you brush against a laser barrier, and even though you know it's not your actual hand it still feels a bit weird. Luckily you can just pop the hand back on since it's quite cartoony, but I definitely wouldn't want to play a body horror game like Outlast in VR.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Lots of good stuff on sale for the next 2 days in the Quest store. I kinda hate being tied to the Quest, but they are so committed to VR that it seems worth the risk.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 pm Lots of good stuff on sale for the next 2 days in the Quest store. I kinda hate being tied to the Quest, but they are so committed to VR that it seems worth the risk.
I'm very, very tempted by the Vader Immortal pack. I can't afford it. But I'm still tempted.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Blackhawk wrote:
DOS=HIGH wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:27 pm Lots of good stuff on sale for the next 2 days in the Quest store. I kinda hate being tied to the Quest, but they are so committed to VR that it seems worth the risk.
I'm very, very tempted by the Vader Immortal pack. I can't afford it. But I'm still tempted.
Vader Immortal is a cool overall experience, but the gameplay is nothing special and it is not something you're likely to go back to after experiencing the story once. If you can get it at a good discount, you should go for it, otherwise don't stretch your budget just for the brief bit of fun it provides.

Last edited by disarm on Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:41 pm
Blackhawk wrote:
Vader Immortal is a cool overall experience, but the gameplay is nothing special and it is the something you're likely to go back to after experiencing the story once. If you can get it at a good discount, you should go for it, otherwise don't stretch your budget just for the brief bit of fun it provides.
Yeah, it's about an hour an episode from what I've heard. But right now it's $15 for the whole collection, which isn't bad. It's more about getting to experience the setting in VR.

Now, if they'd only a Star Trek game like that (other than Bridge Crew.)
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Due to a glorious fantasy football championship win, I’m thinking that I’m in the market for some VR. I am not really thinking of spending an absurd amount, but was wondering if the Quest 2 is worth it, and what sort of accessories would be considered must have?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, it's worth it. It's the sweet spot right now. You can get by with just the headset, but there are some things that are pretty important, and how important depends on how you end up using it. At the very least you'll want a new strap (the headband bit - the default one is just a painful nylon strap), grips with straps so they controllers don't fly out of your hands, and battery to turn the 2 hour playtime into 10+. My recommendations (based on significant research and backed up with personal experience), quoting my own posts, as I'm too lazy to type it all up again:
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:57 pm You will likely also want to invest in a battery pack (to turn the 2 hour battery life into ~10 hours), a new strap (the included one is awful), and grip covers. If you're not already getting the strap/battery from Oculus, here are my recommendations:

My favorite source for a look at what's available and quick reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenPlaysVR/videos

Mac in VR, PSVR Without Parole, and BMF are also good channels.

Check out the other thread for a discussion of free games that are out there, many of which are also available on Quest 2.
My battery:

Attached with this:

And a good set of earbuds - these are made specifically for VR with cords that are just the right length:

The only other thing is that if you wear glasses, you're going to be needing a solution. Scratching the VR lens generally means buying a new headset.
If you are going to be sharing the headset, consider a set of spacer rings. If you're the only one using it, or don't mind swapping every time, the best solution is to buy a set of presciption VR lenses. I got mine from WidmoVR. Warning: Use your distance vision prescription if you have one or wear bifocals/progressive lenses. Your eye focuses at a distance in VR, despite the screen only being an inch or two away. It has something to do with magic.

Also a good idea is rechargeable batteries for the controllers with a full 1.5v output (which most AA batteries don't have.) Four of them - one battery in each with the second set on the charger/charged. I use these:

Also make sure you have a good USB-C cable to charge it with, and preferably one that can transfer data. Note that the Quest 2 uses standard USB-C, so there is no reason to buy the overpriced Oculus cables.

For clarification: Do you plan to play PCVR (games run on the PC and played in VR), or just play the native Quest titles? And if the prior, do you have a good 5GHz wifi connection (internet speed isn't relevant, just the local network connection.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To clarify a point, the prescription lens inserts are significantly superior to wearing glasses inside the headset. They give you a clearer view, a better field of view (less 'binocular effect'), and they also serve as a protector for the lenses. Any 'oops' will likely just require new prescription lenses as opposes to a whole new headset.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My eyes are top notch so I don’t have to deal with that, and I don’t share, so I don’t think I have to worry about anyone else’s crappy eyes. :)

I have a good WiFi setup in the house, but less so where I’m setup. So I was assuming I would need to tether with the link as I was hoping to play things like Skyrim VR, Half-Life:Alyx and Flight Simulator.

I assumed that once I got it I would figure out what else I could do with it besides playing those kinds of VR games.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:16 pm My eyes are top notch so I don’t have to deal with that, and I don’t share, so I don’t think I have to worry about anyone else’s crappy eyes. :)
Awesome! Now, do yourself a huge favor and see if your optometrist would be willing to quickly measure your IPD for you. It takes about ten seconds, and probably won't require an appointment (or a fee.) It's the distance between your pupils, and is something you want to know to set the eyepieces up correctly. There are ways to do it yourself (usually with an app or a ruler and mirror), but they're horribly imprecise.
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:16 pm I have a good WiFi setup in the house, but less so where I’m setup. So I was assuming I would need to tether with the link as I was hoping to play things like Skyrim VR, Half-Life:Alyx and Flight Simulator.

I assumed that once I got it I would figure out what else I could do with it besides playing those kinds of VR games.
Alrighty. FWIW, all that matters for wireless play is that the PC running the game is connected to the access point via a cable, that there is a relatively clear 5GHz channel for the Quest 2 to connect to, and that the router isn't too far from the headset. The cable isn't much of a problem for games where you're stationary - Flight Simulator, for instance. It's kind of a pain for something like Alyx, or anything where you're turning and flailing a lot. For the Quest 2, I did the research and bought this cable:

It goes directly from the PC, assuming you have a USB-C output on your video card. If not, you'll need a C-to-USB 3.0. I think I bought these two for that:

Note that both cable options use a repeater. You are limited to, I believe, 10' otherwise, which works for stationary games, but not for moving games.

If you are going to be tethered in moving games and have a place you can mount them, these are excellent for getting the wire out of the way:

It results in the wire going from your headset straight up instead of down by your legs - which becomes a big problem when you need to turn in a circle, causing it to wrap around your legs.) With the pulleys there is almost no resistance. The cable just sort of floats above you, and they have enough stretch that you can walk all over a normal sized play area.

The good news is that with a Quest and a PC, you can buy and play pretty much any game released for PC, for Quest 2, or for earlier Oculus systems, as those ran directly on PC (but double check on earlier titles, as sometimes there are controller issues.) And don't skip the other thread I quoted a link to above. There are a lot of good free options. And don't underestimate the potential in searching for 'VR180' in the Quest version of YouTube, or using Virtual Desktop (on the Quest 2) to watch streaming content directly in the Quest, or something like Big Screen or Skybox for watching local video files. Honestly, watching shows that way is almost like having a personal IMAX. Try it at least once.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

All of what BH said, but there is also the option to do AirLink, which is basically Bluetooth to your PC. It will drain the battery a bit faster, but completely frees you from cables, and with the battery pack you won't even feel the difference.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hyena wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am All of what BH said, but there is also the option to do AirLink, which is basically Bluetooth to your PC. It will drain the battery a bit faster, but completely frees you from cables, and with the battery pack you won't even feel the difference.
Bluetooth? Unless I'm mistaken, it's also tied to wifi, and a 5GHz is needed there, too. I regularly use Virtual Desktop for PCVR (which I prefer, as it is fully configurable, while AirLink give you standard corporate options), and use AirLink occasionally when it's needed. Both use the same wireless connection. I didn't go into the options much, as he said that he didn't have a good connection where he plays.

RM9 (and others), the connection just needs to be the local one. The reason is that you're essentially streaming the game from your PC to the HMD (Head Mounted Display.) It functions as a sort of wireless monitor. You're also streaming your inputs back (so you click a button or move your hand, it sends it to the HMD, which sends it to the PC, which interprets the input and applies it in-game, then sends that back to your HMD.) It does this while simultaneously streaming almost-4k video at game framerates. On a good local 5GHz wireless connection it is fast and smooth, but on a bad connection you start getting lag, and lag in VR is... weird. It's like getting lag in real life, reaching for the water faucet and having your hand move a half second later, or turning your head and having your view shift with a delay. Or having the world freeze for a split second and then leap to catch back up with you.

So that's why the connection from the PC to the router matters, and the wifi connection the headset matters, but the actual internet speed that router gets does not (unless you're playing multiplayer, of course.)

Also, RM9 - in your list of games you included Skyrim VR. It's a fun game, but a bit of advice - don't start there. It's also a frustrating game with poor controls, and getting it working decently in VR requires tons of hassle. It shouldn't be your first VR experience. If your system will handle it, check into Asgard's Wrath, perhaps, as an alternative.

In general, be wary of early VR ports of non-VR games. Read reviews and do your homework. A lot of those were done before VR-specific development had established how things like basic controls and menus should work. They're the equivalent of porting a modern shooter to a system with pre-WASD/mouselook controls, or like console shooters before Halo figured out how to make console shooters playable. Skyrim VR, Fallout VR, and Borderlands 2 VR stand out as examples of porting too early.

Once you're comfortable with navigating in a VR environment, then try those. You don't want to be figuring out VR and figuring out the game at the same time.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

One last question for the Quest 2 - how important is the storage? Do I need to double up? What is my advantage for doing that?
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:51 pm One last question for the Quest 2 - how important is the storage? Do I need to double up? What is my advantage for doing that?
That's actually tough to answer. I got the larger option, and I've never come close to filling it up, but it's often at a level where I'd be having to 'make space' if I had the smaller one. But it's highly dependent on how you end up using it. If you play a lot of Quest 2 games and apps (that is, actually installed on the Quest 2), you'll probably want it. If you play almost exclusively on the PC through the Quest 2, you may not need it.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ok, thanks for all the help. Now it's time to decide if I really want to do this or not. :)
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble one of us...
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

I’m not sure how to specify it, but if someone refers you both parties get a $30 Store credit ($60 if the holiday double deal is still active). You may use my ID macdaddy0 if you like (although BH has been more helpful per usual).
Either way, I would like a few OO friends at some point. :violin:

I don’t think the double storage is necessary, particularly if you’ll be on PC as well. Most native games are small, and digest very easily and quickly.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

RuperT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:08 pmI’m not sure how to specify it, but if someone refers you both parties get a $30 Store credit ($60 if the holiday double deal is still active). You may use my ID macdaddy0 if you like (although BH has been more helpful per usual).
When I went in to purchase, I did notice that, and contacted Blackhawk to hook him up for his extensive help. I felt like he earned it. :)
Make up bags of change
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Demeo? Any good?

This review from ars technica certainly sounds promising.

Anyone playing this? I watched the trailer just now, and it looks a lot like what I always hoped a VR table top RPG might look like.

If there are others from OO playing this and enjoying it, I might give it a shot. Plus, it’s on sale right now.

Thoughts??
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's at the top of my Steam wishlist. I'm very interested.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:47 pm
RuperT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:08 pmI’m not sure how to specify it, but if someone refers you both parties get a $30 Store credit ($60 if the holiday double deal is still active). You may use my ID macdaddy0 if you like (although BH has been more helpful per usual).
When I went in to purchase, I did notice that, and contacted Blackhawk to hook him up for his extensive help. I felt like he earned it. :)
:oops: Gosh. Thanks.

A bit of extra advice: Getting used to VR is like getting used to being at sea. You're in a situation where your brain has to learn a new reality. Your eyes are seeing depth in a new way. Positioning and sound are working differently. You're seeing motion - and your brain thinks you're moving - but there is no feedback from physics. So you accelerate, and you compensate by leaning forward, but your body wasn't really accelerating, so you're leaning into nothing (and hopefully don't end up face-down.) I almost did this the first time I tried walking in a VR game and started going up a hill - I leaned to compensate for the angle and almost fell. Flip upside down in a game, hang from the ceiling, and... gravity is still pulling toward your feet. Are you upside down? Is gravity upside down? You know, but your brain has no honking idea.

You really do want to get your VR legs the right way. Get yourself too disoriented or sick the first time, and your chances of having to deal with it repeatedly go up dramatically.

Do NOT start off with: Roller coasters, flight, driving, or even freely walking around.
Here are some starting places. Give this a day or two, that's all you need. And do the trick with the fan - put one 'in front' of you blowing on you to give you a real-world reference. A floor mat you can feel helps, too. And don't forget to take breaks while you're getting the hang of it.

1. The Quest 2 comes with a tutorial called 'First Steps.' Do that.
2. Go to the Quest 2 store and install 'First Contact.' It's free. Do that.
3. Have some seated or stationary standing experiences. Try An Introduction to Virtual Reality. It's free. It is on the Rift, so you'll need to run it with the Oculus app on your PC and plug in (or give AirLink/Virtual Desktop a try and see how it works for you - it's worth a shot.) Felix and Paul Studios is free (and Traveling While Black is a must!) Watch Invasion. You'll want to stand for this one, and it's free.

Seriously, you can do everything up there in an hour or so.

Game time!
1. Go get The Lab on Steam. It's (you guessed it) free. I has a variety of games, and it is, frankly, an amazing product. All are standing (not moving) games, so it's a great place to get used to your controllers and interacting with things.
2. Elixir is free, and it'll give you a chance to try out hand tracking.

Now you're on your own. Try some games where you're stationary and things come to you (Beat Saber and Audio Trip are in this category) Then try some games that allow free locomotion*, but I'd put off anything involving speed, spinning, parkour, flying, or similar for a week or two. When you take off the HMD and your arms seem normal instead of in the wrong place, and when your dreams return to normal you'll know your brain has adapted.

*There are a few things you'll find in VR games that are 'comfort' settings intended to keep people from getting sick. The first is locomotion (and the terms from game to game vary a little.) The 'comfort' option is teleportation. You point a controller, hit a button, and you're there. The non-comfort equivalent is free motion, where you push the stick and slide along like in any other game. The second is turning. The 'comfort' option is snap turning, where pushing the stick to turn snaps you in (usually) 45-degree increments. The non-comfort version is smooth turning, which just turns you. The "Not worried about wires" version is just ignoring the stick and turning your body. The other comfort setting is a mask, a kind of heavy vignette that shrinks your field of view down to a tiny are while you're moving. Most modern VR games let you adjust these individually, tweaking or disabling them depending on your needs.

I'm very lucky - I have zero motion sickness issues and can turn everything off and get flipped around with no issues, but a lot of people need some degree comfort settings. But going through the steps above is key to giving yourself the best experience in the long run.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Kurth wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:14 pm Demeo? Any good?

Anyone playing this? I watched the trailer just now, and it looks a lot like what I always hoped a VR table top RPG might look like.

If there are others from OO playing this and enjoying it, I might give it a shot. Plus, it’s on sale right now.

Thoughts??
Big thumbs up from me, at least for the Oculus version. Steadily expanding the game, they just added a new ‘board’ bringing the total up to three. They also introduced a new character type with the bard.

I was very worried about motion sickness, given how prone I am to it in real life. It turns out my inner ear isn’t involved at all with VR, so I can get a bit zoomy without feeling sick. I don’t push it, though, and quit promptly if I start feeling bad. I still choose my games carefully, and have finally ramped up to a flight simulator which is fine for ‘normal’ flight - extended combat flight seems right out. I’m a bit paranoid that if I get too sick one time I’ll ruin myself for future play, but I’ve put in a lot of time at this point. I reference ‘comfort’ in my previous post about various games if that’s a concern.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

RuperT wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Thoughts??
Big thumbs up from me, at least for the Oculus version. Steadily expanding the game, they just added a new ‘board’ bringing the total up to three. They also introduced a new character type with the bard.

I was very worried about motion sickness, given how prone I am to it in real life. It turns out my inner ear isn’t involved at all with VR, so I can get a bit zoomy without feeling sick. I don’t push it, though, and quit promptly if I start feeling bad. I still choose my games carefully, and have finally ramped up to a flight simulator which is fine for ‘normal’ flight - extended combat flight seems right out. I’m a bit paranoid that if I get too sick one time I’ll ruin myself for future play, but I’ve put in a lot of time at this point. I reference ‘comfort’ in my previous post about various games if that’s a concern.
I know the multiplayer is probably the point with a game like Demeo, but is there a single player experience worth playing, too?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Ooh, if you guys get a Demeo game going, I'd be interested. I've never played it, but mostly (or completely, if I'm being honest) because I have no one to play it with.

All of that of course is dependent on times we would play and wife aggro situation...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Kurth wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:43 pm
RuperT wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Thoughts??

I know the multiplayer is probably the point with a game like Demeo, but is there a single player experience worth playing, too?
I should’ve been clear that I have not played Demeo single player. Thinking about why that is, I think there’s enough variance in Demeo’s encounter generator that it can make the whole affair more a gamble than a game sometimes, where some permutations seem unwinnable. I do still prefer it over the game skewing the other way, but I think there’s a sense that time wasted is best spent with friends. Also, there’s no progression besides some minor cosmetics, which advance at a glacial pace. Finally, it somehow seems ridiculous to play a digitized version of a boardgame by oneself, just as I will never condone a video game about paintball, dammit!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RuperT wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:21 am Finally, it somehow seems ridiculous to play a digitized version of a boardgame by oneself, just as I will never condone a video game about paintball, dammit!

You're talking to people who play physical version of board games by themselves all the time. ;)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finished the first episode of Vader Immortal last night. Got all three in a bundle for $14.99, so while the content was pretty light in EP1 (took me about an hour to complete it), I’m not too bummed. Really well done, in fact. Looking forward to the next 2 episodes and also playing through Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge.

Any idea if there’s more Star Wars VR content planned?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't heard one way or another, but Star Wars Squadrons has VR support.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Having just finished Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 on PC, I decided to give Sniper Elite VR a try. Wow. I see why they have special controllers for long guns in VR games. It was kind of horrible. I guess I'll need to look into that a bit more.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:51 pm Having just finished Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 on PC, I decided to give Sniper Elite VR a try. Wow. I see why they have special controllers for long guns in VR games. It was kind of horrible. I guess I'll need to look into that a bit more.
Not special controllers - special mounts for the same controllers. ProTubeVR makes a high quality one. They really do make a huge difference, as they tie both of your hands together, plus your shoulder, plus your cheek. It's so much more stable.

The other thing to be aware of is that VR is like real shooting - whether you're right or left handed isn't important. What matters is whether you're left or right eyed. Get it backwards and you're likely going to struggle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

An unexpected side effect - reality feels less real. What the hell?

I haven’t had any issues at all when I’m in VR. Actual reality is making me a little nauseas though after I’m done.

Still playing around with basic stuff though. Even the initial first steps thing, when I was allowed to grab a rocket with one hand and then use the other to pull the tab to ignite it? It took only a few seconds for that kind of operation to feel completely natural.

I’m pretty impressed with the technology, and I’ve barely done anything.
Make up bags of change
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:22 pm An unexpected side effect - reality feels less real. What the hell?

I haven’t had any issues at all when I’m in VR. Actual reality is making me a little nauseas though after I’m done.

Still playing around with basic stuff though. Even the initial first steps thing, when I was allowed to grab a rocket with one hand and then use the other to pull the tab to ignite it? It took only a few seconds for that kind of operation to feel completely natural.

I’m pretty impressed with the technology, and I’ve barely done anything.
I have had the exact same experience. After playing Blade and Sorcery or even the Tales from the Edge of the Galaxy Star Wars game, I find myself having minor (VERY minor) "glitches" in depth perception, or my hand feels weird when I reach for my phone and I try to grab it with my middle finger grip button instead of actually using my opposable thumbs...

And by the way, the rocket is my favorite thing in First Steps...I like to try and catch it when it comes flying back, or hit it with the ping pong paddle. :lol:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The more you use it the more your brain gets used to switching back and forth. Play more!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumors that the Quest Pro could arrive Q2 of this year at a premium price point and the Quest 3 is probably coming late 2023. I guess I'll continue to hold off on upgrading to a 2 for a bit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:22 pm An unexpected side effect - reality feels less real. What the hell?

A week ago:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:48 pm Now you're on your own. Try some games where you're stationary and things come to you (Beat Saber and Audio Trip are in this category) Then try some games that allow free locomotion*, but I'd put off anything involving speed, spinning, parkour, flying, or similar for a week or two. When you take off the HMD and your arms seem normal instead of in the wrong place, and when your dreams return to normal you'll know your brain has adapted.
Now you know what I was talking about! It's one of those things that sounds like a joke until you've experienced it. It really did give me incredible, hyper-realistic dreams, though. I miss that.

But yeah, that's your brain adapting to the experience of switching between two realities. It will fade after a while.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Now I get it. :)

It really is amazing technology even when I’m just going through menus like I’m in Minority Report.

I tried playing No Man’s Sky in VR through the link, but something isn’t working, not sure what yet.

Just was looking to branch out a little. I would love to be able to try watching a live sporting event through VR, but I don’t know if that’s still a thing.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 pm Now I get it. :)

It really is amazing technology even when I’m just going through menus like I’m in Minority Report.

I tried playing No Man’s Sky in VR through the link, but something isn’t working, not sure what yet.

Just was looking to branch out a little. I would love to be able to try watching a live sporting event through VR, but I don’t know if that’s still a thing.
Do you mean watching it IN VR, as in it's in 3d and you can look around? Or do you mean being in VR and being able to watch it? For the latter, look into Virtual Desktop (the Quest version, not the Steam version - it's on both.) It puts your PC screen into VR, and anything you can stream on the PC you can stream in VR. It really is like sitting in a theater with a massive screen. I can also be done through AirLink, but I find it a lot less smooth.

It's kind of fun (and nerdy) to sit on the bridge of the Enterprise in the Captain's chair and watch Star Trek on the main viewscreen.