Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chraolic

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by Chraolic »

I randomly got a $10 credit from Oculus the other day, so I guess they must really, really have wanted me to just buy something already. I've mostly played PCVR games so far and hadn't really used the Oculus store for anything other than video apps, but I got Thrill of the Fight with the credit and I've got to say that game is a proper workout. You can't just stand there and flick the controllers around since it measures the force of the punch in game, so you have to put a bit of welly into it to actually score a good hit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tried that and returned it. I just don't have enough room to play, and nearly punched my TV learning that.

I usually only buy via Oculus if it is an exclusive or if I want something I can take elsewhere (like if I feel like working out in the bedroom instead of the living room.) There are a few good ones - Robo Recall is light fun, Asgard's Wrath was a blast, and I've heard good things about Vader Immortal and Lone Echo (I really do want to try Lone Echo if it ever goes on sale.) Some of their entertainment apps are a lot of fun, although a lot of those are free (Quill Theater, for example.) I also have Mage's Tale and From Other Suns on my wishlist, but they were reminder adds, and I'd need to look more closely at them before I pulled the trigger.

But that's the problem - Oculus games rarely ever go on sale, and when they do it is tiny niche games and the discount is tiny.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 amBut that's the problem - Oculus games rarely ever go on sale, and when they do it is tiny niche games and the discount is tiny.
They've been sending me codes for 30% off several times, so that seems like it would be an OK discount if I ever got around to buying anything. I've also been looking at Vader Immortal but I hear it's really short and $30 to get the whole experience seems a bit steep.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm thinking that it may be time to try some multiplayer VR. Pavlov, Onward, and Contractors all get lots of recommendations. I may grab one before the Steam sale ends.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, here's a tip on how I solved one recurring problem for under $25.

VR devices that don't use external towers (like the Rift-S and Quest series) use external cameras to track your movement and position. Michelle is home every night and wants to watch TV. She's worked all day, and wants to relax in a nice, comfortable room without glaring overhead lights on. The problem: I constantly lose tracking because it is too dark for the Quest 2 cameras to see detail. So either I can't use it, or I spoil her pre-bed relax time.

The solution? VR cameras see into the infrared. I spent a little under $25 for this IR lamp, designed for outside nighttime security cameras, plus this plug to use it with a normal outlet. It's got a light sensor, so it is off when it is light in the room, and kicks on automatically when it gets dark. When on, all you can see is a very faint glow from the bulbs, and it produces almost no heat. It's small, about the size of a 2oz shot glass.

I tested it by taking my Quest 2 into the bathroom, shutting the door, and unplugging the night light. It was pitch black, and the headset couldn't see a thing. I plugged in the lamp. It was still pitch black to my eyes, but the headset could see just fine. When I switched to passthrough mode (IE - the screens were feeding directly from the front cameras), it looked like bright daylight. The lamp itself looked like a small floodlight.

I just keep it in the corner of the living room, pointed at the ceiling. When it gets dark, it illuminates the room perfectly, and I don't have to annoy the family with bright lights.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

With those VR solution that use camera to track movement and position, do you play games sitting or standing?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I bought Walkabout Mini Golf with my 30% off credit, and it is FANTASTIC.

They really did a great job with the physics, and you can play with one-controller in a "putter grip" position which feels very natural and realistic. I also like that while the courses are set in fantastical environments, they're not completely unrealistic like you see in a lot of other mini-golf games.

It comes with 6 or 7 courses unlocked right off the bat, and each of those has a "hard" version that can be unlocked by scoring under par or finding 10 lost balls which are hidden around the various courses. Finding the lost balls adds them as selectable options when you start a game, and makes for a fun little mini-game while you're playing.

I would have never dreamed a silly mini-golf game would rekindle my love for the Quest, but here we are. Between this and SUPERNATURAL, I've used the Quest more in the past week than I did the previous six months.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:41 am With those VR solution that use camera to track movement and position, do you play games sitting or standing?
Yes.

It depends on the game or experience. For most games I stand. Some (like vehicle games - racing, flying Star Wars Squadrons) are better sitting. For watching VR180 videos I usually sit. For 360 experiences, I use a rotating wobble stool (any rotating seat would work.) Some games require standing (some games do stealth by the player crouching, while room scale games require some amount of walking around.)

Oculus apparently also added a means to raise your view level to standing height while sitting, opening a lot more options.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One thing I've learned from VR is how much of a pain being cross-eye dominant is in shooting. Cross-eye dominance is when your dominant side doesn't match your dominant eye. In my case, I'm right handed, and very right-handed at that, but I'm left-eye dominant. That means that I'm right handed and need to shoot with my left eye. Pistols aren't a problem, and I've been aiming with my left eye by just shifting my head a little since I learned how to shoot (I think I was 8.) But long arms aren't designed for that. You can't hold a rifle to your right shoulder and put your left eye to the sight. You either have to shoot with your non-dominant eye, or shoot with your off hand. I've read estimates that this problem affects between a quarter and a third of all shooters.

I did most of my long arm shooting when I was a lot younger and didn't know about eye dominance. Other than the rifle and shotgun training I had working at the prison, I haven't regularly shot long arms since I was about 16. Back then I'd always heard that you should keep both eyes open when aiming, but never could pull that off. I had to close my left eye to shoot - now I know why. My left eye was the one in charge of actually fixing objects in my view, while my right was only there to add depth perception. With both eyes open, I simply couldn't see down the sights - I'd be seeing along the barrel instead. It wasn't until I started working at the prison that the instructors actually checked me for ocular dominance, and I haven't really had the chance to work with it. (Side note - it easy to test at home*)

Until now. For those that haven't played them, many, if not most VR shooters use actual sights, requiring the shooter to line up the sight picture just like a physical firearm. And so I have a decision to make - how to deal with my cross-eye dominance?

Option 1: I can try to switch dominant eyes. Some people can do this by obscuring one eye partially while shooting (usually by putting a piece of tape on their shooting glasses, forcing their other eye to take over.) It doesn't work for everyone, however, and age is a factor there. See, the dominant eye develops significantly more neural connections than the off eye, and rewiring the brain is easier when you're younger. Still, I might be able to do this by simply going back to closing my eye - I just don't want to develop that habit, and while it isn't a huge deal in a range setting, it is detrimental if aiming while moving.

Option 2: Switch which hand I shoot long arms with. This one would be more straightforward... in real life. I have yet to see a game that really supports it by moving the important gun hardware to the off side (one-sided charging handles, bolts on bolt actions, etc.) In real life you can simply by left-handed guns. In games you have to do acrobatics to reload. But at least you don't have to worry about smacking the scope if you reach across the top. I've tried shooting left handed, and it is awkward as hell, as I've spent a lot of time training how to move, how to look, how to stand while holding a gun in my right hand, and it all vanishes when I switch.

Option 3: It's gaming. I haven't been in a real-life job and/or situation that required any real level of tactical awareness and muscle memory in years, and it's unlikely I ever will again. I could just cheese it and shoot one-eyed, although again - it kind of sucks to lose depth perception and peripheral vision in a game, especially while moving.

It's funny. I always knew I'd have to deal with this if I ever started shooting again. I just never expected it to be an issue in games.

*One way to check ocular dominance: Hold your hands together at arm's length and form a small triangle between the thumbs and index fingers. Look at a distant object (25 yards away or so) that just fits in the triangle. Without moving your hands, close one eye. The object will either remain in the triangle (your off eye is closed) or won't be in it at all (your dominant eye is closed.) Example:
Spoiler:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Whoo!

A couple of months ago I introduced a couple of friends to VR. I let them try out my setup, and they were hooked.

They just thanked me with a ProTube VR MagTube (plus the bipod and the grips.) This thing is really, really nice. I never could have afforded this kind of toy myself.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn. Not sped up:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was able to get pretty good at Expert level but Expert+ is beyond me without actually putting the time in. As someone who thought Expert was insane when I was just getting started, your brain starts to execute the necessary actions almost subconsciously. As I type this, I think it is actually kind of along the lines of how you learn to type. You aren't really telling your fingers to hit the individual keys, you are providing strategic guidance and your brain sends out specific instructions on your behalf. You are the CEO saying what you want done. You can't be bothered with directing each individual employee how to do their job. You tell the directors and trust them to pass the word along.

There may be too many analogies in that explanation.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 am There may be too many analogies in that explanation.
You could just go with "It's a muscle-memory game." ;)

Before I started to diversify, I was in early Expert. I could handle any of the built-in maps on Expert, but custom maps were hit-or-miss, mostly because they're designed by insane people who are apparently composed entirely of ball joints.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I was visiting a friend a couple of weeks ago and she had me try her oculus. After the first few minutes I was saying to myself, I think I need to buy this.

Bit the bullet today.

So far I've just bought the table tennis game, which is really amazing, even though I kinda suck at table tennis. I could see playing that for an hour at a time every day.

I also did a helicopter tour of that big mountainous park in China, since it looked like some free fun.

I imagine I'll probably be picking up Beat Saber, since that sounds up my alley. I'm not really into fighters or shooters, but anyone want to recommend something else fun, free or otherwise?
No sig, must scream, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sure. What kind of game do you like? What do you avoid?

What headset did you get? Quest 2? If so, and you have a gaming PC, you'll want to check out Virtual Desktop for sure.

To get you started, check out these playlists:

Free VR games
Top VR games
Brief overview of various VR games

There is also this thread here on OO.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Yep I got the Quest 2, the one with the extra memory, FWIW.

I haven't been playing many video games lately, but tend to be more into RPGs when I do (or dumb tower defenders). But it seems like I should take advantage of whatever VR is good at. I'm just not typically into twitchy fighters or shooters. Oh, I'm not into horror really either. I'm sure VR is great for it, but not my thing. I bet I'd like some good immersive puzzle though. And more sports too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Virtual Desktop allows you to play PCVR games (any VR game released for the Rift, Rift-S, on Steam, etc) wirelessly. It does require a decent router, but completely replaces the link cable. There is also Air Link (which is an Oculus product.) It has the advantage of being free, but it still has a lot of bugs to work out.

If you have a PC that will run it, grab The Lab on Steam. It's free, and it's fantastic. Learn about SideQuest, which is also free and is a source of a lot of free games.

Puzzles and RPGs, not shooters are twitchy fighters (I'm guessing you mean combo fighters ala Mortal Wombat/Darksiders, etc)? Here are a couple that jump to mind:

I've also heard really good things about Demeo, but haven't dug very deep yet.

If you have any interest at all in creative topic, get Tested VR, free on Oculus. Also, grab Felix & Paul Studios, also free. Lots of VR documentaries - Traveling While Black was great.

And don't underestimate the value of the YouTube app and Quill Theater that come with (or are free for) the Oculus. Both are fantastic resources (although I recommend finding VR videos on the YT site and saving them to a playlist rather than trying to use the app to search.) Try a search for 'Immercirque' for a great start.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let me try that again. It keeps changing the linked videos to a review for Na'au (or something like that.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some other things to check into: the default strap sucks unless you like getting your ears sawed off. There are lots of alternatives. Also, the battery life sucks, but a battery pack and cord will let you play for 10+ hours straight. If you prefer to do it the simplest way, the official Elite Strap with battery solves both problems, although I personally went with third-party options (they were cheaper.)

Some accessory companies you'll hear about are VR Cover, AMVR, and Kiwi. All are good. Anker is best for power banks.

And if you wear glasses, consider lens inserts. Scratched VR lenses are no joke - pay attention to their warnings and cleaning instructions.

I also use a set of Sony earbuds for the audio. There are lots of options, though.

And make sure you read up on setting up the IPD (interpupillary distance.) It's pretty essential to know how to adjust it to get a good, clear image.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Yeah, I do wear glasses. Of course I installed the glasses spacer insert right off. Just for my initial 40 minutes or so of play today everything was acceptable for me in term of fit. I could imagine complaining perhaps if I was trying to do multiple hours of something.

I'll have to try out some of those things you've mentioned. I'm sure there's lots of fun to be had.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Apparently the Oculus Quest 2 has been improved yet again. The $300 model will now include 128 GB storage and all new headsets will come with a silicone face cover, which can also be ordered for free by current owners.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:59 pm Some other things to check into: the default strap sucks unless you like getting your ears sawed off. There are lots of alternatives. Also, the battery life sucks, but a battery pack and cord will let you play for 10+ hours straight. If you prefer to do it the simplest way, the official Elite Strap with battery solves both problems, although I personally went with third-party options (they were cheaper.)

Some accessory companies you'll hear about are VR Cover, AMVR, and Kiwi. All are good. Anker is best for power banks.

And if you wear glasses, consider lens inserts. Scratched VR lenses are no joke - pay attention to their warnings and cleaning instructions.

I also use a set of Sony earbuds for the audio. There are lots of options, though.

And make sure you read up on setting up the IPD (interpupillary distance.) It's pretty essential to know how to adjust it to get a good, clear image.
When I get past the (extreme) budget crunch I'm in, I'm getting the $300 Oculus Quest 2. Can you link to a lens insert? I wear glasses.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:07 am When I get past the (extreme) budget crunch I'm in, I'm getting the $300 Oculus Quest 2. Can you link to a lens insert? I wear glasses.
Sure! There are several companies that offer them. I got both of my sets from WidmoVR and have been extremely happy with them. Just be aware that the manufacturing/shipping time is long (not absurdly long, but a few weeks), so you might want to order them early if you don't want to have your Quest 2 sitting there for a couple of weeks tempting you to wear your glasses and risk scratching the lenses.

It's worth noting that the only downside is that anybody you share the headset with will effectively be looking through your glasses, so you'd have to snap them out (which is easy) to let someone else use it. If they also have glasses, they'll have either wear them or squint. Personally, I picked up a set of lens rings (they keep glasses lenses spaced away from the lenses) and use that with the glasses spacer (included with the Quest 2) when I share it. The downside to the rings and/or spacer is that it moves your head further back, which significantly reduces your field of view while using the headset (it looks a little like looking through binoculars.)

A couple of things to be aware of with the lens inserts: If you wear bifocals/trifocals/progressives, you want the lenses made based on your distance prescription, not your close-up prescription. That's a little counter intuitive, as the screens are only an inch or two from your eyes, but the actual focal distance is around 8 feet. As far as your eyes can tell, objects are actually distant and your eyes focus as if they were.

Second, you'll need your IPD (the distance between your pupils.) Many optometrists don't include that on a written prescription, so make certain you have it (if not, you may need to have them measure it - normally it's free and only takes a second.) You'll see lots of ways to measure it yourself, from tape measures to apps, but if you're paying for lenses, get it done by your optometrist. The other ways approximate, the optometrist measures precisely in tenths of millimeters. You'll need it both for the lens prescription and for the headset itself, as you set the lenses (in the headset) to match it. The lenses in VR headsets are fresnel lenses (the same kind of lenses used for sheet magnifiers with the concentric rings.) They have a 'sweet spot' right in the center, and you have to line that up with your pupil (and with the prescription lenses designed for your interpupilary distance) or everything will look slightly blurry. Essentially, by giving the measurement to the lens maker and then setting it in the headset, you'll be lining up your pupil, the center of the prescription lenses, and the center of the headset lenses perfectly.

It sounds complicated, but it only takes a second if you have your IPD. The Quest 2 has three numbered settings that cover the most common IPD range:

1: 58mm
2: 63mm
3: 68mm

You just slide them until the number closest to your IPD shows and it lines it all up for you. Tip: You can actually set it between numbers to get closer to your true IPD. For me, the my left eye is 32mm and my right is 34.5mm. My combined is 66.5, so I set it right between 2 and 3. See the video:

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can get a copy of my prescription.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think I'm going to start experimenting with DecaMove. There are two versions. One uses a USB antenna and a belt clip device that cost $60, and the other uses an app and your phone and costs nothing.

Essentially, it uses the magnetometer in your phone/the device to track your hip movement, and thus your body position. This lets you use your hip direction for movement in VR games, which is kind of a big deal. The alternatives are generally head or controller oriented movement (where your head or controller points defines 'forward'.) When you're playing a shooter, for instance, if you have it set to head oriented and you look to your left while you're walking, you'll also start to move left. It makes it tough to keep your head on a swivel. And if you have it set to controller oriented, then you always have to point where you want to go (or do complicated thumbstick gymnastics.) It's also a problem if you ever need to move while doing something with your hand, like if you're running for cover while reloading. With this you should just be able to turn your body to define 'forwards', freeing up your head to look around and your hands to do hand stuff.

Not every game is supported, but a lot are, and supposedly it supports a lot more than those listed - this is just their officially tested list. For free it's worth trying.

Mac explains it better.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So today I'm in VR. I need something off the desk, so I tap-tap the side of the Quest 2 to turn on passthrough mode so I could see out. Then I just stood there. I couldn't move.

I was holding the thumbstick forward. To walk. In real life.

(For those that haven't tried it, passthrough displays the external cameras on the screens - you are basically seeing a live feed of what's right in front of you in 3d, allowing you to move around and find things without removing the headset - so it looks just like you're in VR.) (As an aside, the Quest 2 in passthrough mode functions as a decent set of night vision goggles, as the cameras see into the infrared and integrate that info into the passthrough display.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Another, peripheral topic. Not about games, but about video.

Since Michelle moved in, I generally give her the TV. I generally watch videos (streaming or files) on my laptop. But lately I've switched to doing shows and movies in VR. It's quite an experience. Essentially, VR tricks your brain into believing what it's showing you. If something fills your field of view and is set at a certain distance, it appears huge. What that means in this case is that if you have a movie theater sized screen in VR, it is 100% a movie theater screen as far as your brain can tell. How good of an experience that is obviously depends on your VR set, of course. An original Rift probably won't look all that great, but with a Quest 2, it's somewhere between 1080 and 4k resolution (technically 1832x1920 per eye.) Again, as far as your eyes and brain can tell, you're sitting in a movie theater with a full-sized screen in front of you, plus the headset blocks out the external light and noise (like Michelle watching TV five feet away.)

As a bonus, any of these will handle 3d movies as well.

Generally, you need to launch these on your PC via Virtual Desktop/Airlink/link cable. They aren't 3d games, though, so while there may be a 3d environment involved if you pick a theater, they don't require a fast PC at all. I've streamed any number of 4k video files in them via the link cable on the Rift S, and later via wireless link (I use Virtual Desktop myself) on the Quest 2, and I have no trouble at all.

I've tried a number of different apps for this: DeoVR, Bigscreen, Skybox, Pigasus, Gizmo, Virtual Desktop, probably some others. I don't remember all of the ones I've tried and uninstalled, so I'll just mention a few standouts.

DeoVR - avoid. It's a decent enough player, but the developer has a contract with a certain porn site, and they've engaged in some really skeezy tactics (like if you use their browser, any mistyped URL will take you to that specific porn site instead.)

Skybox - A good, basic video player with a good variety of environments to watch in.

Pigasus - Also a good player. It's got a few quirks and bugs that need worked out, but it has one advantage - Samba support, which means it can access files on your network directly without needing to launch via a PC.

Bigscreen - my current favorite for most video files (mostly because I really like its environments - they have a 40s style theater that I love, and a 70s/80s theater for the right movies.) It has other functionality I haven't spent any time with, including the ability for people to connect online and watch shows together in the same 'room' (you'll see them as avatars) and the ability to rent 3d movies directly and function as a streaming service. They also like to do livestream events of rocket launches - a chance to watch SpaceX launches with friends, for instance, all from home. Again, I haven't used these, but they've got a good reputation. Also, this one is free.

Virtual Desktop - if you're playing any PCVR titles, you'll likely be getting this anyway to play them without a cable. It basically lets you see your PC as if it were in VR with you. That means that pretty much anything you can do on your PC, you can do in VD (unfortunate acronym.) In fact, the other day I sat at my PC, loaded up VD, then launched and played Half-Life - non-VR - on a giant VR screen. The relevance of this to the topic - this also allows you to stream things like HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, etc, as you can just open your browser or the app and watch as if you were sitting at your PC. Pick an environment with a giant screen and you're good to go - I've been watching Band of Brothers on HBO Max this way recently. (Note: You may need to use Firefox to get them to display correctly - streaming services have weird DRM when it comes to browsers.) And, FWIW, I find the result is better than using the Amazon or Netflix VR apps, which are extremely limited and not kept updated.

Give it a shot. Bigscreen, at least, is free. Here are a couple of trailers for Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop, plus a video about Skybox (although I use a different method.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:36 am I think I'm going to start experimenting with DecaMove. There are two versions. One uses a USB antenna and a belt clip device that cost $60, and the other uses an app and your phone and costs nothing.

Essentially, it uses the magnetometer in your phone/the device to track your hip movement, and thus your body position. This lets you use your hip direction for movement in VR games, which is kind of a big deal. The alternatives are generally head or controller oriented movement (where your head or controller points defines 'forward'.) When you're playing a shooter, for instance, if you have it set to head oriented and you look to your left while you're walking, you'll also start to move left. It makes it tough to keep your head on a swivel. And if you have it set to controller oriented, then you always have to point where you want to go (or do complicated thumbstick gymnastics.) It's also a problem if you ever need to move while doing something with your hand, like if you're running for cover while reloading. With this you should just be able to turn your body to define 'forwards', freeing up your head to look around and your hands to do hand stuff.

Not every game is supported, but a lot are, and supposedly it supports a lot more than those listed - this is just their officially tested list. For free it's worth trying.

Mac explains it better.

I tried this today using the free version (which uses your phone rather than the $60 doohickey.) It worked really, really well. There's a learning curve (as it is basically getting used to a new type of controller), as you have to learn to essentially ignore the right 'turn' stick and just move forward, backward, and strafe. To turn left or right, you... turn left or right. With your body. I played a level in Zero Caliber, and while I had a few issues while I was getting used to it, by the end I was moving so much more easily and precisely than before. Just the ability to look over my shoulder or point the gun to the side while clearing an area without having to adjust the thumbsticks to keep from walking into a wall was a huge improvement.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:45 pm Whoo!

A couple of months ago I introduced a couple of friends to VR. I let them try out my setup, and they were hooked.

They just thanked me with a ProTube VR MagTube (plus the bipod and the grips.) This thing is really, really nice. I never could have afforded this kind of toy myself.

I'm finally getting used to this, and I have to say - it makes all of the difference. The extra support to keep your hands from wiggling around makes shooters go from awkward to controlled. I did do a couple of small modifications. I ordered an extra front mount, which I put halfway between the rear and the front. It gives me a middle position that makes smaller weapons (like SMGs and bullpups) easier to use (P90s are still... interesting.) I also used some contact cement and glued a piece of black yoga mat to the butt of the stock. It keeps the plastic from slipping around on my arm.

It looks a little absurd from the outside, but when you're playing all you know is that your hands are locked in place, your shoulder is on the stock, and your cheek is on the cheek rest (four points of contact.) When you have the headset on, you don't see that the pipe is on the wrong side, you just see and feel the weapon.

I've also finally gotten used to left handed shooting after 40 years of doing it right handed, at least enough that it feels natural now, and enough that I'm not struggling to clear a room or change a magazine. It also helps, and quite a bit. (If you missed the previous conversation, I'm cross-eye dominant - right handed, but left eyed - which means I should be shooting left handed.)
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I know I said I'm not really into shooters, but I've really gotten into In Death Unchained. It's an archery based game with a procedurally generated world. Just move around and shoot all the bad dudes. Find upgrades. Repeat. Fun stuff in 360 degree VR.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is that the one with the crusaders? I was just checking that out the other day.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

It has a vaguely medieval/religious theme to it. It was the first game I tried out via my friend's set, although her version of the game was more like tower defense.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

News on the VR front, mostly from the big Facebook event yesterday.

~GTA San Andreas is coming to the Quest 2 (officially.) No date.
~A new Oculus headset has been announced, currently only under the code name 'Project Cambria.' It seems like it isn't the next gaming headset - it's a higher priced, higher-quality headset apparently targeted at business, for use in training, teleconferencing, and collaboration on projects, and for whatever VR social media system it is they're cooking up. It has the ability to track eye movement and facial expression, then project that onto an avatar.
~After The Fall is coming in about five weeks, a cooperative VR Left4Dead clone with crossplay on PCVR, Quest 2, and PSVR.
~Within the next year, Facebook accounts will no longer be required for Oculus.
~They're implementing a cloud backup that backs up settings and saves. This is a really nice thing. Currently, uninstalling a game removes everything, including saves. Doing a factory reset (a frequent troubleshooting step) likewise removes everything. This should solve that.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Blackhawk wrote:News on the VR front, mostly from the big Facebook event yesterday.

Oooh - this may be the change that finally convinces me to get an Oculus.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote:News on the VR front, mostly from the big Facebook event yesterday.

Oooh - this may be the change that finally convinces me to get an Oculus.
FWIW, it wasn't require for the first few models, just for the latest. (Glad they're getting rid of it, though!)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A corporate name change and announcing they're removing the account requirement.

It's almost like they've come to realize that their reputation isn't doing them any favors. Of course, you're still probably going to have to log in to some sort of account (your Oculus account, or your Meta account), and it will still be same company. Software purchases for Oculus products are tied to the account, so if you aren't signing in somewhere, you can't access your software.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yes, from what I've read you will still need an account, just not necessarily your primary social media account.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. It'll be nice not to have my Facebook account tied directly to my Quest 2 (assuming they give existing users the chance to switch accounts.) But they know who I am, and I have no doubts that the information will be consolidated in the end anyway.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Oculus gave me a $10 credit again for some reason, so this time I got Hand Physics Lab and it's pretty good. Possibly more of a technology demo than a game; while it does have 80 puzzles they are very short and can probably be completed in an hour or two, but the tracking is on point and it feels very immersive to be able to just reach out and grab something rather than pushing a button on a controller, so I hope more titles will use hand tracking in the future.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mafia 2 & 3 VR Mods
The mod supports a first-person view — the Mafia trilogy is usually played from third-person — but you’ll be playing with a gamepad. Check out some of our gameplay from the first entry in the series with the mod enabled below.
Mafia 2 And 3 VR Mods Go Live

Though played with a controller, we thought the mod for the first game was really impressive, and Ross has since implemented first-person support for on-foot gameplay as well as driving too.
The caveat:
As with past releases, you’ll need to be subscribed to the developer’s Patreon in order to actually get access to both mods, though this will also give you access to Ross’ work with GTAV, RDR2 and the original Mafia
Still, that's five games ported into VR for a month's Patreon backing. That's not awful... especially since I see a NOLF 2 logo up on the site. It'd almost be worth that just to drive around those environments in first person VR.