RIP Prince

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Death at Prince's home

Post by Daehawk »

Very strange. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Kept thinking April Fools! Shit.

Grew up on him. 57. Damn. He was such a health nut too..all vegan and seemed so young and healthy. SHIT!

RIP. Ugh feel off.

Might want to update the thread title to reflect his actual death.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Odin

Post by Odin »

GreenGoo wrote:
Xmann wrote:Wow, just...wow

Prince was always near top of my personal list of most talented musicians.

If you've never seen his performance of While my guitar gently weeps, do yourself a favor and watch it. Dude was beyond words phenomenal.

This is a tough one for me. Big part of my childhood....DAMNIT!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I didn't learn (or understand) just what an amazing guitarist he was until I was much older. Past the point of actively listening to his music anyway. Today I have a better understanding of just how phenomenal he was.
This is true for me as well. Somehow I never paid enough attention to Prince back in his 80s prime to realize what an exceptional guitarist he was. I think it was the "My guitar gently weeps" collaboration video that clued me in. What a loss to music.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

RIP

I guess I'll be hearing "1999" running through my head for the next few days. But that's not so bad because I liked that song.
AKA: Dajjer
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Enough wrote:Even my friends who didn't personally care for his music would gladly admit he was a total musical genius. What a loss, RIP Prince.
I would fit into that group. Never a real Prince fan...sure he had a few good tunes. But he was a talented performer.
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I am devastated.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am forever grateful that I had the chance to see Prince live. Madison Square Garden, 2004, I think. He played more than two dozen songs, made some funny jokes about his own vanity, and closed with Purple Rain.

And I'll forever regret that I passed on going to a party at Paisley Park when I was in college in Minnesota. A classmate had worked there as a security guard, and at about 11pm was looking for a group of people to bring over for an all-night party, sure to include a performance by the man himself. But it was a Wednesday, and I had class the next morning, so I said no thanks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Odin wrote:This is true for me as well. Somehow I never paid enough attention to Prince back in his 80s prime to realize what an exceptional guitarist he was. I think it was the "My guitar gently weeps" collaboration video that clued me in. What a loss to music.
I was but a kid when Prince was in his early 80s prime, but I remember seeing the video for "When Doves Cry" on MTV pretty much non-stop in 84/85. I had no appreciation for his musical talents until I was much older and in college. There was a girl in grammar and high school that was absolutely in love with Prince. She knew he was the real deal when we were like 11 or 12. I have to believe she's devastated today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Re: RIP Prince

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Very talented singer, songwriter, and musician. He still looked and acted much younger than his years (not that he acted childish just looking at him you wouldn't think he was 57).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

My wife is crushed...her favorite musician

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
morlac

Post by morlac »

Odin wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Xmann wrote:Wow, just...wow

Prince was always near top of my personal list of most talented musicians.

If you've never seen his performance of While my guitar gently weeps, do yourself a favor and watch it. Dude was beyond words phenomenal.

This is a tough one for me. Big part of my childhood....DAMNIT!!

I didn't learn (or understand) just what an amazing guitarist he was until I was much older. Past the point of actively listening to his music anyway. Today I have a better understanding of just how phenomenal he was.
This is true for me as well. Somehow I never paid enough attention to Prince back in his 80s prime to realize what an exceptional guitarist he was. I think it was the "My guitar gently weeps" collaboration video that clued me in. What a loss to music.
He wasn't just a brilliant guitar player, he was a musical genius. Total prodigy. He played all 27 instruments in the studio for his first album...every single one. He did the same thing for his side project "The Time" except he added all the backup vocals as well. He continued this for his first five albums playing almost all the instruments himself. I believe Purple Rain was the first album he let his touring musicians help record...The Revolution. One of a Kind. RIP
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Xmann wrote:My wife is crushed...her favorite musician
my wife's too.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Smoove_B wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Tremendous loss for the music industry. As odd as he was, Prince was a musical genius - both as a guitar player and songwriter.
We will likely be hearing new music from him for decades. But yes, whatever you thought of his persona the dude was an incredibly talented musician.

I had heard about his music vault but wow! No idea he had that much stuff in there. Hoping they start releasing some.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of my roommates in an off campus house during college was in a band that fancied themselves hardcore punks. He listened to nothing but Naked Raygun, Big Black and Dead Kennedys throughout most of our year in that house. I remember one night, while watching music videos on some channel, a Prince video came on. I remember starting to laugh when he abruptly shot me a look that could kill. When I asked what his problem was, he just said through gritted teeth, "It's Prince, man.".
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:One of my roommates in an off campus house during college was in a band that fancied themselves hardcore punks. He listened to nothing but Naked Raygun, Big Black and Dead Kennedys throughout most of our year in that house. I remember one night, while watching music videos on some channel, a Prince video came on. I remember starting to laugh when he abruptly shot me a look that could kill. When I asked what his problem was, he just said through gritted teeth, "It's Prince, man.".
I was in to that music too, but unlike your roommate, Prince was not on my exception list. If you held a gun to my head, I probably still couldn't name anything he's done in at least the last 25 years.

Only the weird die young, I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oy. Starting to see some unsubstantiated rumors regarding how he might have died that I won't repeat here. I truly hope they're not correct and it turns out it was just random, freak thing that makes no sense. Better that.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

McNutt wrote:You could see MJ self destructing. Not so with Prince.

This!! Prince was a notorious health nut and vegan. With others there were signs...that's what is so bothering with his passing
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:Oy. Starting to see some unsubstantiated rumors regarding how he might have died that I won't repeat here. I truly hope they're not correct and it turns out it was just random, freak thing that makes no sense. Better that.
I'm guessing you mean the rumor he was HIV+ and quit taking his meds. That has been swirling for a couple weeks now.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Rip wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Oy. Starting to see some unsubstantiated rumors regarding how he might have died that I won't repeat here. I truly hope they're not correct and it turns out it was just random, freak thing that makes no sense. Better that.
I'm guessing you mean the rumor he was HIV+ and quit taking his meds. That has been swirling for a couple weeks now.

Yup, they certainly have...
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I don't follow HIV news nearly as close as I thought I did.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Lassr wrote:
Xmann wrote:My wife is crushed...her favorite musician
my wife's too.

I just got home and my wife is honestly heart broken.

Little Red Corvette is her favorite song ever...by any artist and I really love Purple Rain. Growing up I thought he was the coolest dude ever in the Purple Rain movie. He got the hot chic, road a motorcycle, and was amazing on the guitar.

I remember his Super Bowl performance very vividly. I tried watching it again a few minutes ago and I just couldn't. Playing Purple Rain and that guitar solo is haunting now.

Sad sad day in my house.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

This is one of those rare times where Facebook is pretty cool. Just about everyone in my small class of about 30-40 students loved Prince back in the day. At our first dance, half the music they played was Prince. Now on Facebook many of my old classmates are reminiscing about those times.
Odin

Post by Odin »

morlac wrote:He wasn't just a brilliant guitar player, he was a musical genius. Total prodigy. He played all 27 instruments in the studio for his first album...every single one. He did the same thing for his side project "The Time" except he added all the backup vocals as well. He continued this for his first five albums playing almost all the instruments himself. I believe Purple Rain was the first album he let his touring musicians help record...The Revolution. One of a Kind. RIP
Wow. I had no idea. Holy crap.
mori

Post by mori »

hitbyambulance wrote:MN posse represent!

The Current 89.3 FM (Minneapolis/St. Paul public radio) will be playing his songs all day. Listen live at http://www.thecurrent.org
The Current was not the only local station doing this. At work we eventually had to switch to a country station so we could here something else. RIP Prince.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

MTV is actually showing music videos again. Prince videos. Probably the first I have watched MTV in years.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When Kevin Smith worked for him he said one of his assistants told him that Prince would write a song then film a full music video for it. She said she meant full videos with a director, full detailed costumes, and everything else that entails. And then he would simply put it in his underground vault. Said he did this ALL the time and there must be hundreds if not thousands in there. Huge underground vault.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

This is terrific, but this is wonderful.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Google did a quick logo change.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote:
hepcat wrote:One of my roommates in an off campus house during college was in a band that fancied themselves hardcore punks. He listened to nothing but Naked Raygun, Big Black and Dead Kennedys throughout most of our year in that house. I remember one night, while watching music videos on some channel, a Prince video came on. I remember starting to laugh when he abruptly shot me a look that could kill. When I asked what his problem was, he just said through gritted teeth, "It's Prince, man.".
I was in to that music too, but unlike your roommate, Prince was not on my exception list. If you held a gun to my head, I probably still couldn't name anything he's done in at least the last 25 years.

Only the weird die young, I guess.
Now would be a great time for you to watch Purple Rain for your first time.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Minneapolis' City Hall bell tower will play Prince songs starting at 1 p.m. Sunday.
i can't wait to hear the all-bell version of "Irresistible Bitch"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I expect being a Jehovah's Witness would be more likely to complicate his medical treatments than any story about HIV.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thanks for the read like always OO. Waited the whole day till now to read up.

A link to While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Don't remember someone dropping one off, only making mention.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wish I could find a better source, but this 1979 (?) performance on American Bandstand is ridiculous. Yeah, it's a lip-sync but damn. Dude was 21 years old! But 1979? It's better than most of the crap I hear on the radio now. Now get off my lawn!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Now would be a great time for you to watch Purple Rain for your first time.
I can't even stream a YouTube video and you expect me to get through a whole movie? (yeah, Comcrap blows to that extreme). Question -- were the MTV videos derived from that movie?
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Smoove_B wrote:I wish I could find a better source, but this 1979 (?) performance on American Bandstand is ridiculous. Yeah, it's a lip-sync but damn. Dude was 21 years old! But 1979? It's better than most of the crap I hear on the radio now. Now get off my lawn!
Never seen that, thank you for posting.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Big crowd in Minneapolis tonight for a last-minute block party.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I recently went back and watched his Super Bowl halftime performance. Epic.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Fittingly it rained here most of the day.

:cry:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote:
Z-Corn wrote: Now would be a great time for you to watch Purple Rain for your first time.
I can't even stream a YouTube video and you expect me to get through a whole movie? (yeah, Comcrap blows to that extreme). Question -- were the MTV videos derived from that movie?
I think they were, yeah...but there's so MUCH more in the movie. You are going to LOVE Morris Day!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More like love to hate the bastard :P