RIP Prince

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RLMullen

Re: RIP Prince

Post by RLMullen »

Isgrimnur wrote:Hallelujah!
I see I'm not the only one to have that thought. Your post is infinitely better than what I would have said.

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Smoove_B wrote:I've been mesmerized on Youtube for like the last hour. I can honestly say I had no idea he was playing like this in 1985. It's insane.

I've always been impressed with his music talent and being a prodigy (self taught 27 instruments, apparently). I was watching a special on Lisa and Wendy and they talked about Prince always had them playing the same song for 30-40 mins. He was a perfectionist and you had to have the stamina to play for a very long time
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even more important from that link - David Gilmour puts Purple Rain guitar solo into Comfortably Numb. Very classy - for those that are impatient, it happens at the 4:29 mark.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RLMullen wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Hallelujah!
I see I'm not the only one to have that thought. Your post is infinitely better than what I would have said.

Glad I could help. :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

JSHAW wrote:The last guitar made for Prince

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-news-el ... ince/29045
A local luthier has made 30 guitars for Prince, and never met him or saw him play live.

D'haitre
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Noticed this from the New York Times and wanted to share. If you wanted to read some more about the 2004 Hall of Fame performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, click here.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The more I see, hear, and learn of Prince, the more I'm convinced the man was truly on the level of a Mozart or a Beethoven. I admit to simply paying him lip service over the years. Never really understanding why he was mentioned in reverential tones by other musicians I respected more. But the numerous videos of his performances popping up the last week or so have really opened my eyes to what a truly magnificent musician he really was.

This performance of Motherless Child almost tops Richie Havens' version. Between the guitar and the anguished cries Prince throws out during the performance, he really captures the essence of what the time honored spiritual is all about.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too bad the courts will likely be the ones to carve up the vault:
A vault purportedly containing unreleased Prince songs was drilled open, according to ABC News affiliate KSTP-TV.
Bremer Trust, the St. Cloud, Minnesota, company given temporary authority over Prince's estate, opened the vault to which only Prince had the code, KSTP-TV added.

Previously, Prince spoke openly about his treasure trove of music on "The View."

"One day, someone will release them. I don't know that I'll get to release them," he said back in 2012. "There's just so many."

The seven-time Grammy Award winner reportedly left behind a vault containing so much music his estate could put out an album a year for the next century.
The news of Prince's vault being opened comes as his sister, Tyka Nelson, claimed earlier this week that the singer had no will or trust, according to paperwork she filed in Minneapolis.

The documents obtained by ABC News, signed by Nelson, state, "I do not know of the existence of a will and have no reason to believe that the decedent executed testamentary documents in any form."

State law says that if Prince didn't have a will or trust, his estate is set to be divided between Nelson and his five half-siblings.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Too bad he didn't leave a will. It's of his own doing unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:Even more important from that link - David Gilmour puts Purple Rain guitar solo into Comfortably Numb. Very classy - for those that are impatient, it happens at the 4:29 mark.
Damn.
18-1™ & 2-0
Zarathud

RIP Prince

Post by Zarathud »

It's astonishing that someone who went through so many legal troubles and carefully collected his music didn't take control over his artistic legacy by preparing an estate plan.

If you have anything of value to fight over, talk to an estate planning attorney!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Trent Steel wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Even more important from that link - David Gilmour puts Purple Rain guitar solo into Comfortably Numb. Very classy - for those that are impatient, it happens at the 4:29 mark.
Damn.
wow wow wow

My favorite Pink Floyd and Prince!!

wow!!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote:The more I see, hear, and learn of Prince, the more I'm convinced the man was truly on the level of a Mozart or a Beethoven. I admit to simply paying him lip service over the years. Never really understanding why he was mentioned in reverential tones by other musicians I respected more. But the numerous videos of his performances popping up the last week or so have really opened my eyes to what a truly magnificent musician he really was.

This performance of Motherless Child almost tops Richie Havens' version. Between the guitar and the anguished cries Prince throws out during the performance, he really captures the essence of what the time honored spiritual is all about.
Saw an interview with Billy Gibbons from ZZTop talk about him. Can't find it now, but I'll summarize. Went into a dive restaurant late one night and had the waitress bring him a drink, "from the gentleman in the corner." He looked over and saw Prince sitting in a corner booth alone. Went over, introduced himself, and then proceeded to talk guitar playing for the next two hours. He gushed about how knowledgeable Prince was about guitars, tone, string and amp selection, theory, etc. Even went so far as to offer to send over some strings and amps that would give him a certain sound he had been looking for.

I'm in the same boat you are. I had always found him mildly interesting, and knew he was a phenom on the guitar, but never was that into him. After a few videos and interviews this week, however, I'm planning on going back and listening much closer to his music. He truly was a genius.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
mori

Post by mori »

Isgrimnur wrote:Too bad the courts will likely be the ones to carve up the vault:
A vault purportedly containing unreleased Prince songs was drilled open, according to ABC News affiliate KSTP-TV.
Bremer Trust, the St. Cloud, Minnesota, company given temporary authority over Prince's estate, opened the vault to which only Prince had the code, KSTP-TV added.

Previously, Prince spoke openly about his treasure trove of music on "The View."

"One day, someone will release them. I don't know that I'll get to release them," he said back in 2012. "There's just so many."

The seven-time Grammy Award winner reportedly left behind a vault containing so much music his estate could put out an album a year for the next century.
The news of Prince's vault being opened comes as his sister, Tyka Nelson, claimed earlier this week that the singer had no will or trust, according to paperwork she filed in Minneapolis.

The documents obtained by ABC News, signed by Nelson, state, "I do not know of the existence of a will and have no reason to believe that the decedent executed testamentary documents in any form."

State law says that if Prince didn't have a will or trust, his estate is set to be divided between Nelson and his five half-siblings.
It is going to get ugly I am afraid. There are going to be hundreds, if not thousands of people coming forward saying they are Prince's love child. Local TV reported that the death taxes on the estate is going to be ~$140 million. Ouch!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont understand why he would not have a will. And why are death taxes so extreme?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zarathud

RIP Prince

Post by Zarathud »

Estate tax is 40% over $5.45 million. An income tax would be 39.6%. Basically the same effect. Death tax is pejorative propaganda.

Prince could have done a lot to minimize any tax or even pay no tax on amounts left to charity.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote:I dont understand why he would not have a will. And why are death taxes so extreme?

Besides his immediate assets, he owns his entire music catalog as well as enough unreleased work to potentially release an album a year for decades to come. Some sites are saying his estate could be worth well over a billion dollars. If that's true, a 15% estate tax doesn't exactly seem onerous.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But thats potential income. Thats like saying I could pay this tax some day if all goes well :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure why we care how it is handled - he obviously didn't. It may seem like a waste to us, but if that was his choice, then that was his choice.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Daehawk, it's pretty safe to say that your assets will not exceed $5 million. So you will pay no tax. I'm no Bernie Bro, but if you have to pay the estate tax then you can afford it -- even if you don't want to pay.

Estate = actual value of assets, not it's future earnings. Prince has a vault of music and he's in the business of music. When Prince put his treasures into the vault, it was still glittery gold. An expert in the music industry will value it, and it can be taxed. And often the commercial value over time greatly exceeds the estimated value. Sometimes the value is disputed, like Michael Jackson's estate claim that the King of Pop's image was only worth $2,105.

Don't cry for Prince over estate taxes. He could have left his entire musical legacy over $5 million to charity or church, paid no estate tax and had someone manage his musical legacy.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kind of sad when you think about it. He had no one he loved/trusted enough to ensure their future and entrust them to honor his legacy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe he just didn't plan to die at 57 :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Maybe he just didn't plan to die at 57 :)
Well it isn't really about planning to die when you have someone whom you care about so greatly that you are unwilling to allow the possibility of your untimely demise to deny them any benefit you could possibly guarantee them. Such a thing is excusable for a fool but for someone of Prince's obvious intellect it is not.

Either way not planning to die at 57 while heavily abusing opiates for years is the definition of ignorance.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I don't mean to be ignorant or disrespectful by asking this, but could his lack of preparing a will or trust be a Jehovah's Witness thing?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Z-Corn wrote:I don't mean to be ignorant or disrespectful by asking this, but could his lack of preparing a will or trust be a Jehovah's Witness thing?
I don't think it would be a problem. Of course they are pretty clear about taking drugs.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Zarathud wrote:Estate tax is 40% over $5.45 million. An income tax would be 39.6%. Basically the same effect. Death tax is pejorative propaganda.

Prince could have done a lot to minimize any tax or even pay no tax on amounts left to charity.
No, taxing assets is fundamentally different than taxing income. Assets are usually purchased with income that has already been taxed. Double taxation strikes many people as unfair regardless of the amount of assets.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Estate tax is 40% over $5.45 million. An income tax would be 39.6%. Basically the same effect. Death tax is pejorative propaganda.

No, taxing assets is fundamentally different than taxing income. Assets are usually purchased with income that has already been taxed. Double taxation strikes many people as unfair regardless of the amount of assets.
But it's not double taxation. That was Prince's money, and only Prince's money. Now that Prince has died, that money will be transferred to his heirs, and will become their money - a process traditionally known as "income." It's no more double taxation than it is when an employer receives profit (and pays taxes on it) and then transfers some of that money to individual employees via their paychecks (who then pay taxes on it).

Another way to think about it is - why should Prince's heirs get all that money tax free, just because it came via inheritance rather than via salary or capital gains or the like? If anything, the case for taxing that money seems stronger, since presumably the heirs did little to no productive work to earn it.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shorthand: money is taxed when it moves.

It's taxed when it moves from your employer's customers to your employer. It's taxed when it moves from your employer to you. It's taxed when it moves from you to the seller of non-essential goods and services. It is taxed when it moves from a deceased person to a non-deceased person.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is turning into the least Prince thread ever. Here, have a palate cleanser:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nation Too Sad To Fuck Even Though It’s What Prince Would Have Wanted.
CHANHASSEN, MN—After hearing the shocking news of the iconic pop star’s unexpected death, the U.S. populace reported Thursday that it was simply too sad to fuck, even though they knew it was what Prince would have wanted. “If Prince is looking down on us right now, I know he’d want to see us all get down and fuck, but I’m still just so upset that he’s gone that I don’t think I could get in the mood,” said 37-year-old Arizona resident Carol Parnum, echoing the sentiment of tens of millions of Americans across the country, who acknowledged that, despite recognizing that nothing would have brought more joy to the seven-time Grammy-winning multi-instrumentalist than everyone getting freaky and fucking all night long, their emotions were still much too raw to do so. “Look, I understand that Prince wouldn’t want us to be moping around with our heads in our hands, crying about how he’s gone and never coming back—no, he would want us to fuck raw and to fuck nasty. But I...I just can’t. My heart just isn’t in it right now.” After much personal anguish, the teary-eyed nation reportedly took a deep breath and solemnly mustered the resolve to get naked and start fucking, saying it was simply the right thing to do.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't get that memo...again.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote:Didn't get that memo...again.

Well roughly 80% of his songs were about getting down and funky. Were not talking dancing here. He wasn't really even all that sly about it. You do know 'Little Red Corvette' is not about a car, right?
Rip

Post by Rip »

morlac wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Didn't get that memo...again.

Well roughly 80% of his songs were about getting down and funky. Were not talking dancing here. He wasn't really even all that sly about it. You do know 'Little Red Corvette' is not about a car, right?
So you are telling me that there aren't thousands of pictures of different guys sitting in the same red corvette?

*scrambles off to adjust bucket list*
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wish the newsmedia would stick to facts about his death and lay off their speculation.
From almost day one they've been pushing the "he died of an overdose of prescription drugs" agenda.
He was found with percoset on his person. They went apeshit from they're finally finding he was about to see a specialist about it. Now, evidently they've found it in his system and they're happy as clams.

So far tho, nothing official has been said about it. I too have a prescription for the stuff and sometimes I might have some on me and I might have some in me too but that doesn't mean I was abusing the stuff. It is rare for me to carry it but there are occasions I'm out in public after taking a pill. I'm not acting out of control and the most I get from it is temporary pain relief.
It sure doesn't add up to me abusing the drug. Nor does add up on the facts we have heard that he was abusing it.
After all that I said however he probably was, it just that I prefer the media to report the facts and let me draw my own conclusions.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amen.

I just cant see Prince abusing anything. He always seemed so health conscious.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hrothgar wrote:
And in this case, a lot of that value is his hidden music catalog that has never been sold, therefore never taxed.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote:Amen.

I just cant see Prince abusing anything. He always seemed so health conscious.
I have no idea what Prince was like but pain does not so funny things to people. As my chronic pains get worse, I can see how people become accustomed to, dependent on, and then addicted to pain killers. If pain killers worked for me, I could see me already "seeking" them and I'm younger than Prince and leading a much less demanding life. Alas, the only medical pain killer that's ever worked for me is a toradol drip and I suspect that wasn't a pain killer so much as something that stops swelling and spams and throbbing which reduces specific pain sources.

If pot ever becomes federally legal OTC and is then accepted by my company as acceptable for recreational use, I'm totally in. I'd ask my doctors about prescriptions now, but I fear consequences at work and possibly from a federal government with a mouth that says one thing and whose enforcement agencies do something totally different. And I'd get in knowing full well that I'm addicted to cigarettes and that I would probably be an alcoholic if my body could take getting liquored up regularly. Living with pain does funny things to people.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

We don't know IF Prince actually DID leave a will, but someone who had knowledge and access to
that will didn't like how things evened out for them, and destroyed it.

Don't want to get all conspiracy theory on it, but money makes people don't ape shit crazy things.

When we're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars from sales of his so-called
"vault" of unreleased recordings and videos that could end up being a real boat load of
money for ALL the family members involved, and not just a list of certain one's that could
have been specifically named and one's left OUT, of a will.

Should be interesting to see how it all get's worked out in the end.