Hitman - the new one

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hrothgar

Re: Hitman - the new one

Post by Hrothgar »

It's still a timed exclusive. People have shown they're willing to wait a year to get a game on Steam. It sounds like there's a work around even if it isn't free.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I'm surprised that Epic didn't just pay IOI to have free H1 & H2 contents for their H3 customers.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:13 pm It's still a timed exclusive. People have shown they're willing to wait a year to get a game on Steam. It sounds like there's a work around even if it isn't free.
It’s still pretty lousy, especially after telling customers that they would be able to import their data for free. I’m not one for getting upset about different gaming storefronts, or exclusives, but this situation is a black eye for both the dev and Epic. I’m waiting a year, but fans shouldn’t have to do this.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm in the I don't care about the East side vs. West Side Steam/Epic drama camp. However, that blurb above about all the considerations about overlap between versions just made a Day 1 purchase a Day 1 + 1 Year purchase for me. I can wait. I don't care to navigate some maze meant to work around some dumb licensing nonsense. It basically is something devs had to throw together last minute. It smacks of a business decision made without understanding the end user impact and without consultation with the people who actually had to make it work. So there is a good chance it'll be half-hearted and a mess. No thanks.
Last edited by malchior on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is posting entire articles from other sites no longer verboten?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

They changed the policy. They stated that you don't need to repurchase anything to get H1 and H2 contents in H3 but they are still working on a solution and you only get H1 contents for free at release.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-pre-launch-guide/

We are continuing to work on a solution with our partners to allow PC players who own HITMAN 1 or HITMAN 2 to import locations from those games into HITMAN 3 at no additional cost. We can guarantee that players will NOT need to repurchase the games.

Until we roll that out in the coming weeks, the HITMAN 1 GOTY Access Pass will be free to own for all PC players who pre-purchase or purchase HITMAN 3 in the first 10 days after release.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:04 pm Think they found a solution

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/218386/hitm ... to-be-free

That was the same as what I posted. So they haven't found a solution. You can get Hitman 1 contents for free but for Hitman 2 contents, you still have to wait for them to find the solution in coming weeks. So no H2 contents at release if you're not willing to pay for it at 80% off.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just skimmed a review of Hitman 3, and apparently it has a good... story? That can't be right; this is Hitman.
malchior

Post by malchior »

'Hitman 3' players run into launch day server problems
IO Interactive released Hitman 3 yesterday, and while it was supposed to be a triumphant close to a story arc that began with the 2016 Hitman game, players have been tripped up by server issues. In order to continue progress from the first two games, players could carry over data (within the same platform family) by syncing progress from Hitman 2 via the IOI Profile website, as detailed in the pre-launch guide. There’s a separate process for accessing levels from previous games that’s a bit too involved to address here/

However, the progression carryover site has been slow or unavailable (as of this writing it appears to be completely unresponsive) as every day one purchaser tried to use it at the same time. Worse, if players weren’t successful in carrying over their data, they don’t have much choice other than to wait, since the process will wipe out any progress made in Hitman 3 prior to performing the transfer.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hmmm maybe I can make the wait for Steam release a little shorter by going back and finishing 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Yes, but do you have a battle axe?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's out the door and to the right. I had to lure a couple meatheads to their naptime before I could retrieve it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, how is Hitman 3? Everyone enjoying it?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't own that one yet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:21 pm By the way, how is Hitman 3? Everyone enjoying it?
Not on steam for a while yet. Yes, I really am waiting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What do I love most about Hitman 3?

That I can stand near a power switch for a nearby power strip with a hastily exposed wire and hit the On button every time someone walks nearby...and no one realizes what's happening. Not even when I've effectively slaughtered a small village with this "prank".

Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like they deserved their fate for wearing those outfits and styles.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Frankly, I find your behavior shocking. :naughty:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:12 pm Frankly, I find your behavior shocking. :naughty:
:think:

:clap:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC GamesN, two new articles, Hitman 3 is coming to Steam and PC Game Pass and Hitman 3 is getting a new single-player mode with “roguelike elements”.
Hitman 3, IO Interactive’s stealth game about a bald dude who just loves picking off hard-to-reach baddies, is coming to more platforms, and soon. The studio has just announced in its Year Two reveal livestream that the 2021 game is headed to Steam and Xbox’s PC Game Pass.

“We are happy to share with our PC players that Hitman 3 will arrive on Steam at the start of Year Two,” community manager Clemens Koch reveals in the livestream (below). The Steam launch includes full support of the game’s brand-new VR mode and a bunch of snazzy new technical improvements, such as ray tracing, XeSS, and variable rate shading (which were all also shown off during the stream).

That’s not long to wait, given Hitman 3 Year Two kicks off one week from now, on January 20. So far, the game has been a timed Epic Games Store exclusive (with a handy no-extra-cost Steam purchase import option for Hitman 1 and 2), but now it’ll also be available to buy and play on Valve’s store very soon, too. There are plans to add support for Steam achievements and trading cards in the future, and for the first 30 days after launch the game will include its Trinity Pack pre-order bonus for free.
It’s a big day for Agent 47. IO Interactive has just hosted its Hitman 3 Year Two reveal stream, giving us a peek at what’s coming up for the stealth game in the months ahead. Alongside news that Hitman 3 and the just-unveiled Hitman Trilogy are headed to Steam and Game Pass, and a showcase of snazzy new technological improvements, a brand-new single-player mode has been revealed, which draws on the roguelike genre.

Called Freelancer, the shiny new mode is due to land sometime in spring this year. This “introduces roguelike elements, strategic planning, and a customisable safehouse”, IOI explains in a Year Two reveal blog, though you can also hear about it from the devs in the timestamped clip below. In the mode, you’ll have a safehouse where you don’t have everything served up to you on a platter before you dive into a mission, as is the case in the three games’ usual single-player locations. Instead, Agent 47 will need to sink his teeth into some pre-mission planning. Well, Diana deserves a day off, y’know.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:22 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:21 pm By the way, how is Hitman 3? Everyone enjoying it?
Not on steam for a while yet. Yes, I really am waiting.
Gamepass, woohoo the wait pays off double! :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just sat down to play the series for the first time, with 1 and 2 imported into 3. I'm looking at the campaign for now (and am still working my way through challenges.) It seems like every mission has a dozen optional challenges, different ways to kill the target, and they all give you XP.

I generally dislike playing the same content over and over. The idea of repeating a mission multiple times to check off different boxes sounds tedious, not fun. It's like watching the same episode of a show half a dozen times instead of seeing what happens next.

But if I'm leaving all that XP lying unclaimed, how much am I going to be hurting myself?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:04 am I generally dislike playing the same content over and over. The idea of repeating a mission multiple times to check off different boxes sounds tedious, not fun. It's like watching the same episode of a show half a dozen times instead of seeing what happens next.
I've tried various Hitman games and always felt the way you do, that it seems pointless to do the missions over and over just to get extra points for using a different disguise or weapon.

It reminds me of the Harry Flashman quote that the Kama Sutra is a bunch of bunk, position 69 is just position 68 but with your fingers crossed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The more I read, the more I think it isn't the game for me. It seems like the entire point of the game is to play same levels over and over trying to get all of the challenges. It's catnip for the achievement hunting completionist mentality.

And it is at the cost of the narrative, internal motivation, and the sense of actually playing as an assassin hunting down his targets.

It sounds like the worst elements of modern open world games (repetitive collection of stuff divorced from any narrative) squished together.

Given how the series originated, that is a disappointment.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I am usually not a 100% completion guy, and yet the Hitman games draw me in.

One thing I've discovered is that you can save scum through one mission and get multiple achievements.

Need to shoot him in the head? Done. Reload.

Now drown him in the toilet. Done. Reload.

Now blow him up. Done. Reload.

Etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:05 pm One thing I've discovered is that you can save scum through one mission and get multiple achievements.

Etc.
Yeah, but at that point you aren't an assassin going after your target anymore. You're a guy doing a checklist. The natural flow is just gone.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:24 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:05 pm One thing I've discovered is that you can save scum through one mission and get multiple achievements.

Etc.
Yeah, but at that point you aren't an assassin going after your target anymore. You're a guy doing a checklist. The natural flow is just gone.
Agreed. What would be more interesting is a Hitman-type game where you receive an assignment, have to scout out the location (and/or be given some information) and then go in and make the hit. However, the essential difference would be that this scenario would only exist the one time. Pass or fail, you can't replay it for more points for an option weapon or disguise or whatever. And no multiple in-game saves, only a save-then-exit option for those of us who have to be able to get away from the computer more often.

The assignments would be randomized for location, target, activities going on at the location, guards, cameras, etc. Sort of like Invisible, Inc but with a hit instead of a robbery. But I'd prefer it to be full 3D like Hitman. More immersive that way. And while this sounds a bit like Hitman: Contracts, again the point would be to carry out the assignment any way you can, not as dictated by some contract.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look at the Elusive Target missions.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The tasks and such are what give the game extra legs. You can just play all the missions in order and just focus on killing the targets if you want. That's what I did and then I went back and played the escalations and other modes. I think how they did this trilogy is great.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HITMAN 3 to become ‘World of Assassination’
Making H1 & H2 free for owners

Let’s break it down. We’re streamlining the (many) offerings currently on the stores down to two products. These will replace existing ways to buy HITMAN 1, HITMAN 2 or HITMAN 3.

HITMAN – World of Assassination (approx. $70 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: HITMAN 3, plus H1 GOTY Access Pass and H2 Standard Access Pass.

HITMAN – World of Assassination Deluxe Pack (approx. $30 USD or local equivalent)
Includes: H3 Deluxe Pack, H3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection and H2 Expansion Access Pass.

That’s it. Those are the only two products that new players need to consider when buying any HITMAN game digitally as of January 26, 2023.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:24 pm

Etc.
I really enjoyed simply playing through the missions once and getting the story. The settings were awesome and I thought they were great, once. It decreases the value proposition, but I still got about 25 hours out of the game and had a great time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's sort of buried in this information is that if you purchase Hitman 3 prior to 1/26/23, you will automatically gain access to Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 regardless of whether or not you already own them. If you purchase Hitman 3 after 1/26/23, you'll need to pay to get that access. This would make the current $21 Steam price rather...cheap.

EDIT: If you're qualified, you can get it for ~$16.xx at Green Man Gaming or if you don't qualify (as an XP Gold member) you can get it for ~$17.xx.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:52 pm
What's sort of buried in this information is that if you purchase Hitman 3 prior to 1/26/23, you will automatically gain access to Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 regardless of whether or not you already own them. If you purchase Hitman 3 after 1/26/23, you'll need to pay to get that access. This would make the current $21 Steam price rather...cheap.
Since I'm absolutely confused by all of this, when you mention "you already own them", do you mean the 2016 HITMAN™ and the 2018 HITMAN™ 2 versions? I own those, but no DLC. So would the smart move to be to buy the HITMAN 3 Standard Edition now, the HITMAN 3 Deluxe Edition now, or just wait for after 26 January 2023? Be kind to me, my wife just informed that while I might have turned sixty-nine three months ago, I am actually a quarter of the way through my seventieth year :shock:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, it's really quite confusing. From Kotaku:
This is the natural end state of IO Interactive’s attempt to coral all of the Hitman content from multi-year episodic releases and sequels into one live service platform. But it also means Hitman 1 and 2 will no longer be available for sale individually, and not all of the DLC is included in the January 26 jump to World of Assassination. The $30 Deluxe Pack, which includes the Hitman 3 Deluxe Pack, Hitman 3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection, and Hitman 2 Expansion Access Pass, will still be extra and separate, with players paying $10 for each piece they don’t already own.
So..does that clear it up? :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:29 pm No, it's really quite confusing. From Kotaku:
This is the natural end state of IO Interactive’s attempt to coral all of the Hitman content from multi-year episodic releases and sequels into one live service platform. But it also means Hitman 1 and 2 will no longer be available for sale individually, and not all of the DLC is included in the January 26 jump to World of Assassination. The $30 Deluxe Pack, which includes the Hitman 3 Deluxe Pack, Hitman 3 Seven Deadly Sins Collection, and Hitman 2 Expansion Access Pass, will still be extra and separate, with players paying $10 for each piece they don’t already own.
So..does that clear it up? :lol:
Err, ah :roll: ... yeah, looking at the reviews of the Deluxe Pack, it doesn't seem worth the extra $10, so I guess I'll just shell out the $20.99 for HITMAN 3 (what, no ™ symbol?) and save myself lying in bed two nights from now wondering if I should have bought it on sale :?.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:58 pm so I guess I'll just shell out the $20.99 for HITMAN 3 (what, no ™ symbol?) and save myself lying in bed two nights from now wondering if I should have bought it on sale :?.
The older I get, I'm finding this to be true as well. Rest well, friend. :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

HITMAN Freelancer – You are in control
HITMAN: Freelancer adds some new types of gameplay into the normal gameplay recipe of the main game.

An important example of this is what we call “strategic planning”.

Where the main game can be described as the VIP version of being an assassin, where the player has an organization that finds the targets and supplies both detailed briefings as well as gear, Agent 47 has a lot of the hard work taken care of for him.

In HITMAN: Freelancer, that’s not the case. It’s much more of an independent experience, where a lot of the surrounding work of being an assassin is put into the hands of the player.

Players will have to build and maintain an arsenal of gear, but also decide on what to bring to missions, weigh up the pros and cons of having a limited gear capacity and the risk of losing valuable and hard to come by equipment.
The key here, is that HITMAN: Freelancer puts the strategic planning of a mission into the hands of the player. The game mode relies on randomized elements, that are rolled independently of each other. The game mode gives the player all available information, but there’s no guarantee that an objective, for instance, is possible when on the mission. To succeed, it is up to the player to ensure that a payout objective is possible, by bringing the right gear, or choosing the right combination of location, brought gear and objectives.

In that sense HITMAN: Freelancer is very different from the main game – there’s no hand-holding Mission Stories with scripted custom kills, that are always possible. Every iconic takedown in HITMAN: Freelancer is an emergent construct of systemic game mechanics and the foresight and creativity of the player.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wait, what? I just got my mind wrapped around World of Assassination. But as I'm reading I'm thinking I like this new HITMAN: Freelancer. At least it's something different than just replaying the same missions. I just hope that this is part of WoA, not some DLC I have to buy extra.

By the way, what month is the 26th month? Apparently this mode will be released on the first of the 26th month :wink: