Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Zaxxon »

Found our water heater leaking tonight, so we'll see what comes of that. :(
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The pool gods have demanded $600 in chemical sacrifices. It never ends.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
disarm

Post by disarm »

RunningMn9 wrote:The pool gods have demanded $600 in chemical sacrifices. It never ends.
We have our pool up and running for the season with minimal intervention...one round of shock, algaecide, and bringing the salt level back to normal after replacing water we emptied it to winterize. It's our first full summer, so we'll see how things go...

That brings us up to this year's big spend though... finishing out our patio, deck and landscaping to go with the pool. We're looking at another $50-60k to finish the job, but it should be awesome when we're done!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Needed the mineral reservoir for the pool frog, algaecide to murder algae, shock to murder even the thought of algae, chlorine for the summer, and a replacement filter cartridge. Everything was about twice as expensive as last summer.
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

For me nearly every thing was the same price except for the chlorine. I bought 2 gallons of algaecide and 1 gallon of CYA for the same exact price as last year. Chlorine was approximately 40% higher than last year. It is still in very short supply due to a 2020 plant fire that knocked out nearly half the supply of pool chlorine in this country. Totally makes sense [/sarcasm]. And that plant still isn't online...due to construction material shortages. I had plans to switch over to salt this year but it fell down the list. It looks like this year is the year to do it.

Opening my pool is always a bit painful. I have a fairly unique "problem". Something native to my area introduces bacteria between closing and opening that converts all CYA in my pool into ammonia. It's happened 7 out of 9 openings. That means I have to battle the ammonia first at opening, then add stabilizer, then try to kill the algae. It usually drags my time from open to clear out from a few days to 1-2 weeks. Today the battle began.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FWIW I spend about $100 tops in chemicals every year on the pool. That includes salt and replacement salt. M
How much was your filter cost of the $600?
disarm

Post by disarm »

I dropped about $1000 on a Dolphin pool robot two weeks ago, and I'm already finding that to be money well spent. Not having to find my own time to vacuum the pool is worth every penny. Couple that with how little effort has been required to keep our saltwater pool in a good chemical balance, and my maintenance is pretty minimal for now. Hopefully it stays this way...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:FWIW I spend about $100 tops in chemicals every year on the pool. That includes salt and replacement salt. M
That last time I bought this filter cartridge, it was $70. This time it was $130. Which puts the price of the mineral reservoir, algaecide and chlorine at ~$450. I dislike. You have a salt pool, so your chemical needs are different. I hate pools.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm I hate pools.
If only you had a wind storm that would have completely taken away all of your pool worries. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

disarm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:22 pm I dropped about $1000 on a Dolphin pool robot two weeks ago, and I'm already finding that to be money well spent. Not having to find my own time to vacuum the pool is worth every penny. Couple that with how little effort has been required to keep our saltwater pool in a good chemical balance, and my maintenance is pretty minimal for now. Hopefully it stays this way...
The dolphin is a huge help. I ran it 3 cycles yesterday. One of my fundamental problems is that the pool is at the bottom of the slope at the back of my house so between closing and opening I get a lot of dirt flowing in under the cover.

I actually finally sprang for a pre-filter that arrives today. I'll be plumbing that in and it should help quite a bit. In any case, my pool is just a beast to open. Once it is clear though it is pretty low maintenance luckily.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote:FWIW I spend about $100 tops in chemicals every year on the pool. That includes salt and replacement salt. M
That last time I bought this filter cartridge, it was $70. This time it was $130. Which puts the price of the mineral reservoir, algaecide and chlorine at ~$450. I dislike. You have a salt pool, so your chemical needs are different. I hate pools.
I HIGHLY recommend checking out troublefree pools forum if you haven’t already. Your costs and time/fussing with unneeded (and counter-productive) chemicals will halve if not more.

There’s a whole industry (from ‘pool stores’ to the chemical manufacturers) built around bs and disinformation.

I ran my pool for two years before fixing the SWCG, and I promise you you don’t need to spend anywhere near that in chemical costs unless you have special water that doesn’t conform to chemistry or physics. :D

Troublefreepool.com
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’m like a chemist at this point. The issue isn’t the quantity of chemicals I need. It’s the cost of the chemicals I need. I don’t know why that’s not computing.

I need 9 pool frog chlorine pacs. I need one pool frog mineral reservoir. I need one pool frog algaecide application. And I need one filter cartridge.

$30 per chlorine pac. (+$10 each)
$135 per filter cartridge. (+$65)
$145 per mineral reservoir/algaecide (+$35)

This year, $270 + $135 + $145 = $550
Last year, $180 + $70 + $110 = $360

That’s $190 since last year for the exact same quantity of the exact same products. That is my only lament. Not that I need X amount of chlorine for my non-salt bullshit pool.

(I still have plenty of pool shock)
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:53 pm I’m like a chemist at this point. The issue isn’t the quantity of chemicals I need. It’s the cost of the chemicals I need. I don’t know why that’s not computing.
He's gently pointing out the system you are using tends to be more expensive than just using plain old liquid chlorine. Though chlorine did jack up due to the monopoly-fail shortage we are currently facing. Which is theoretically all you need (as long as you have stabilizer as well).

That is how I manage my pool, though I use a touch of algaecide on opening at a whopping $5.99 for the gallon because I can't see the bottom for several days on opening, there will be organic matter trying to algae up the pool that I simply won't find blind with a net, and don't want to be constantly shocking the whole time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I earned my CPO license and promptly decided I would never own a pool. Who needs that headache? :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ok, you have a pool frog. Didn’t really pick up on that. There’s your prob (in terms of cost). I’m quoting below, from, you guessed it:

‘The real kicker to the FROG system is the cost associated through the season. I actually stopped using the FROG and went to liquid chlorine for a few years before eventually converting to an SWG. The only reason why I moved over to a salt system was because a heater was being plumbed in, if not the straight liquid approach was very straight forward. The true cost of the FROG (without liquid chlorine) would be $500 more per season.’

‘The Frog System, like other mineral-based systems, uses copper in an attempt to keep water clean, but that's not really true. Plus, you never want copper in pool water.

I would suggest you read the following link. It has some really good info. Also see our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry as well. Let us know if you have more questions.’

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads ... em.205240/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 pm I earned my CPO license and promptly decided I would never own a pool. Who needs that headache? :D
Much like owning a boat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 pm I earned my CPO license and promptly decided I would never own a pool. Who needs that headache? :D
It totally does not have to be a headache if you don’t get pool stored. :D My biggest headaches have mostly been pump motors dying prematurely, but that was bc I was a bit careless. I also despise the fact that some of those big pvc couplings are NOT lefty loosy, righty tighty, but the opposite.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I find the routine of it oddly relaxing to be honest. Plus there usually is a little problem solving which I don't mind on occasion.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

In four months, I’m detonating the pool and never dealing with it again. The cost of the system has never been an issue before.

A 53% jump (year over year) for the exact same thing was all I was trying to note in the final year of this bullshit pool’s life. I didn’t really need an indirect lecture from the pool nerds at trouble free pools forum. :)

Also, F pools.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:42 pm
I find the routine of it oddly relaxing to be honest. Plus there usually is a little problem solving which I don't mind on occasion.
My all-time top comment on reddit:

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:45 pm In four months, I’m detonating the pool and never dealing with it again. The cost of the system has never been an issue before.

A 53% jump (year over year) for the exact same thing was all I was trying to note in the final year of this bullshit pool’s life. I didn’t really need an indirect lecture from the pool nerds at trouble free pools forum. :)

Also, F pools.
Noted. Moving along. :whistle:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There was a puddle on the floor of the downstairs bathroom this morning, which is directly below our master bath. Looked up and saw a big "water bulge" in the ceiling. Poked around the bulge and all of the sheet rock in the entire ceiling is mushy, which indicates that there is likely some pretty extensive water damage going on.

Fuck. :x
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Water damage is the worst. Good luck.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, it's probably better than fire damage...
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Or tornado damage...
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:19 am There was a puddle on the floor of the downstairs bathroom this morning, which is directly below our master bath. Looked up and saw a big "water bulge" in the ceiling. Poked around the bulge and all of the sheet rock in the entire ceiling is mushy, which indicates that there is likely some pretty extensive water damage going on.

I've been through this twice. Mitigation companies can do amazing things - but your weekend soundtrack is going to be whine of industrial blowers. Good luck.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:27 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:53 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 am
Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:08 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 am Told kid NO MORE LOFT BEDS! Now looking at twin beds with under storage or just a high enough twin bed we can put maybe 18 gallon storage totes under or something.
We bought this for my son maybe 18 months ago and it has been great. I've been using it as my work from home desk for those same 18 months.
Would you trust it to support you? Kid's full grown adult (22). Guess they're going with a day bed and buy bins for under bed storage. Taking wife's desk back (it was his before) and then buy some new desk for wife.
We've had close to 400 pounds (two {small-ish} adults and a middle schooler) on there with a mattress and had no concerns.
Cool. Should have checked here first I guess. Now we've sworn off the things (too stressful/too much pain putting them together) and going for a simpler solution (relatively, moving wife's desk and getting a new one is a lot of extra work). Kid's looking at a used bed frame on Facebook Marketplace, day bed. Hoping that will be fairly easy to put together.
Got the next email. In case this could somehow get tracked by any party involved, I won't go into detail, but they suggested an unexpected strategy for a refund that avoids having to return it.
Now that the refund has officially cleared...

They told me to break more pieces of the bed and send them pics. They would take it back to the manufacturer. I'd get my refund and not have to return the bed. I can just trash it.

Trashing almost 200lbs of wood is not that easy (painted so I don't want to just burn it). But I can break it up and stick some in the trash can every week til it's gone.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:47 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:19 am There was a puddle on the floor of the downstairs bathroom this morning, which is directly below our master bath. Looked up and saw a big "water bulge" in the ceiling. Poked around the bulge and all of the sheet rock in the entire ceiling is mushy, which indicates that there is likely some pretty extensive water damage going on.

I've been through this twice. Mitigation companies can do amazing things - but your weekend soundtrack is going to be whine of industrial blowers. Good luck.
Got those going now. I thought the bulk of the damage was in the downstairs bathroom, but it was actually in the closet in the room next to it. Opened the door in there, and water was dripping down, soaking everything. We got the leak stopped (busted valve on the upstairs shower and the drain was leaking) and they’ve torn out the carpet and started drying things out. Demo team comes on Monday. Will run me a couple grand to do the mitigation, then we’ll get bids on a rebuild. Fixing the upstairs shower and drain will run about a grand. My guess is that I’ll be into it $8-10k by the time all is said and done.

Will file a homeowners claim, but my insurance guy says it’s “iffy” whether it will get approved. Policy covers “sudden damage” like a burst pipe, but he can see where they might say this has been an ongoing leak issue and deny coverage over it. There was some mold on the walls that seemed to indicate it had been slowly dripping for a while, and finally just busted through in a big way today. I get it, but it still pisses me off. How the hell would I possibly know that a valve is leaking behind the wall until it breaks through. Fucking insurance…
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kurth wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:46 pm Just put a deposit down on a new Leaf SV with technology package. Was disappointed to find out they were baking the OR state $2500 rebate into the price. Still, even with the BS “market adjustment” it’ll end up netting out at about $27.5K after the Federal $7500 tax credit.

Paying too much for this car, but that’s where the market is.
Well, that didn't go too well. Got the word from the dealer earlier this week that the car would be arriving Wednesday evening and would be ready for pickup Thursday. Showed up today with checkbook in hand, ready to buy the car. They asked if we wanted to go out for a test drive, and we said we were good - we had already driven a bunch of them and knew what we were getting. The sales guy went and told his manager, and then he came back and told us we had to go for a test drive - dealership policy. We said fine and went on a quick drive with the guy.

We came back, and he gave us some credit applications to fill out. We told him we'd be paying cash, and we could tell that kind of bummed him out.

Then he went and talked to his manager again, came back and showed us the price, which was $5K more than he had quoted me. I showed him the text exchange where he verified the price, and he told me, "that was just an estimate." We went over his new pricing sheet, and the difference was mostly came from an extended dealer warranty he was trying to shoehorn in at $3K and nearly $2K of dealer installed equipment. Getting them to take off the warranty was easy, but they wouldn't budget on the "equipment," which was a joke. For one, the car had just rolled off the truck. They didn't even have time to install any equipment. For another, the equipment wasn't even real - $500 for "theft prevention registration," $900 for some paint coating thing, $300 for floor mats, $100 for inflating the tires with nitrogen. He told me these were just standard things that they add on to all cars that leave their lot. I told him he should have obviously included that in the price he quoted me. At that point, we walked.

Fucking shady car dealers. :x

The thing is, a Leaf just isn't worth spending $37.5K on. It's a nice little car for what it is, but that's just way too much money for that vehicle. I can spend about the same and trade up to the Hyundai Kona EV with a 258 mile range (compared to the Leaf with 140 miles) if I want to stay electric, or I could just bag the whole EV thing and grab a cheap Honda Civic or some such in the $20-25K range.

Going to go look at a Kona tomorrow. We'll see. I hated buying cars when the supply/demand situation generally favored the buyers. Not surprisingly, I'm learning that I really, really hate buying cars when the supply/demand situation is completely not in your favor.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A Kona SEL EV it is. Went to the Hyudai dealer yesterday afternoon, took one for a quick test drive and liked it a lot. A little more substantial feeling than the Leaf, handled a little better and with a much improved range and warranty. I’ve never owned a Hyundai and remember when they were sort of a joke, but this gets really strong reviews from what I’ve read online.

A little more than I wanted to spend, but a much better deal for the car than what I was going to pay for the Leaf. Plus, this dealer was really a straight shooter. Here’s the price. Write me a check. Thanks and bye. No bullshit.

The one funny part of the exchange was when I was finishing up the paperwork and asked him if a service package comes as a courtesy. You know, like the first six oil changes are free? He looked at me and grinned: “Sir, you know this car has no engine, right? It doesn’t use oil. Or gas.” Some old habits die hard, I guess.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The saga continues.

When we last left our intrepid adventurers last Friday, a water leak in the upstairs shower had dropped down behind the wall and caused major water bulge in the downstairs ceiling. Plumber came out, thought it was the hot/cold valves that were leaking. He spent a few hours replacing those valves and repairing the drain, only to find out that it was actually the shower head further up in the wall that was causing the issue. Couldn’t get back to repair that until Wednesday, but said that as long as we didn’t turn on the shower (which we couldn’t do because all the valves were taken off), it wouldn’t have any risk of leaking.

Restoration company came out and cut some holes in the ceiling, tore up the carpet, and put a bunch of fans on everything to dry it out. They were schedule to come back and do the rest of the demolition today.

Woke up this morning, walked in the master bathroom (upstairs, the one with the leaky shower), and the carpet in front of it was wet. Not soaked, but enough that I could feel it. Weird. Went downstairs to where the all the fans were going (which I had left alone all weekend, as instructed) and sure enough, there’s still something dripping. Not a ton, but enough that there’s a very small puddle on the tile floor.

Whatever the plumber did not only not stop the leak, but has now somehow diverted it so that it’s pooling under my bedroom floor instead of dripping down through the ceiling into downstairs. Which will be fun because now instead of just tearing out ceiling drywall downstairs, they’ll have to now tear out the carpet and tile in my master bedroom and bathroom to get to this newly affected area.

Restoration company is supposed to come out and look at this new leak area this morning, plumbing company can’t get here until tomorrow though. I could call someone else, but the bathroom is already torn up from when they started last week. Guess I’ll just shut off the water to the house to stop the leak, and want to see what happens when they come tomorrow morning

I can’t even begin to think what this is all going to cost me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like...

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well that sucks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Water...water finds a way.

NM, I see it's the valves. I guess I'd still be concerned about aggressive water that could be eating away at the valve assembly (i.e. well water vs public water), but it's also entirely possible you just have a bad batch. Really sucks, either way.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Public water.

They appear to be PVC, from what I can see.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This house has seemed to have iron then copper pipes Now its pvc.. Some inside is pex.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Our microwave just have up the ghost. Annoying, but not to Skinnypuppy level.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Good luck.

We ended up all of the PVC pipe fixed and the angle fixed from both bathroom bathtubs and toilets to the stack on our second floor. Insurance doesn’t cover anything with pipes, just water damage because we added that coverage.

We’re still dealing with the insurance on how much of the ceiling and first floor to paint. Another dark spot on the ceiling where we noticed the problem. Might be settling, maybe not.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:14 am
Kurth wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:46 pm Just put a deposit down on a new Leaf SV with technology package. Was disappointed to find out they were baking the OR state $2500 rebate into the price. Still, even with the BS “market adjustment” it’ll end up netting out at about $27.5K after the Federal $7500 tax credit.

Paying too much for this car, but that’s where the market is.
Well, that didn't go too well. Got the word from the dealer earlier this week that the car would be arriving Wednesday evening and would be ready for pickup Thursday. Showed up today with checkbook in hand, ready to buy the car. They asked if we wanted to go out for a test drive, and we said we were good - we had already driven a bunch of them and knew what we were getting. The sales guy went and told his manager, and then he came back and told us we had to go for a test drive - dealership policy. We said fine and went on a quick drive with the guy.

We came back, and he gave us some credit applications to fill out. We told him we'd be paying cash, and we could tell that kind of bummed him out.

Then he went and talked to his manager again, came back and showed us the price, which was $5K more than he had quoted me. I showed him the text exchange where he verified the price, and he told me, "that was just an estimate." We went over his new pricing sheet, and the difference was mostly came from an extended dealer warranty he was trying to shoehorn in at $3K and nearly $2K of dealer installed equipment. Getting them to take off the warranty was easy, but they wouldn't budget on the "equipment," which was a joke. For one, the car had just rolled off the truck. They didn't even have time to install any equipment. For another, the equipment wasn't even real - $500 for "theft prevention registration," $900 for some paint coating thing, $300 for floor mats, $100 for inflating the tires with nitrogen. He told me these were just standard things that they add on to all cars that leave their lot. I told him he should have obviously included that in the price he quoted me. At that point, we walked.
Out of curiosity did you ask for an out the door price? I have found that if you don't LITERALLY say that, or use that phrase, or write it (OTD), you will get shenaniganed as above (with shady car dealers like the one above).