What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:51 am Not repairable, nail in the sidewall. Fucking nails in this city. Every tire I have replaced here has been due to a nail or to balance one lost to a nail.

So I'm going with 4 decent non-runflats, $960 all-in after taxes and labor. She says I can probably sell the 3 good ones online for a few hundred but I'm just going to let them have them. Would have no idea how to do that. Just wan to be done with it.

Over $100 in fucking taxes, BTW.

Now about that gyro.
Wife went through a series of tires after ruining the sidewalls by scraping curbs. We have square granite curbs with sharp edges here.
Sidewalks were fine, except for the nail on the inner sidewall of the left front.

Interestingly, they said the treads were in really great shape but they would have recommended changing them in a year or two anyway just due to age. I put got them 2 years/6k miles ago but they appear to have been made in 2017.

Anyway, new tires performed just fine today. Several road hazards welcomed hem to Chicago road duty.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They just want to make money off you. I run tires for a decade if i can. I go by tread. They'd take those tires of yours and resell them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:59 pm They just want to make money off you. I run tires for a decade if i can. I go by tread. They'd take those tires of yours and resell them.
Dude, we've covered this.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dude, not everyone has racial memory going back to 2008.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:10 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:59 pm They just want to make money off you. I run tires for a decade if i can. I go by tread. They'd take those tires of yours and resell them.
Dude, we've covered this.
Two things.

Thanks for making me have to reread Zekester's posts :D
That's what made him leave the forum ?

Bonus

Damn we old
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to help. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:34 pm That's what made him leave the forum ?
It is too bad as I'm sure he'd have lots of insight for me on vaccinations and masks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:44 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:34 pm That's what made him leave the forum ?
It is too bad as I'm sure he'd have lots of insight for me on vaccinations and masks.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They actually recommended that I try to sell them but I honestly don't have the bandwidth so I told them the shop guys could have them if they wanted. They did and took them gladly. The shop itself doesn't sell used tires.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Looks like the freezer half of our side by side fridge is dead. We've just started planning for a move; do we buy a new one now or limp along until after the move so that we know the size in the new place? I can't see us moving for 6 months at least and we do have a stand along big freezer in the garage so we'll probably limp along.

:(
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Had my Air Ducts cleaned yesterday. $695. Thought after 30 years they would be really nasty, but she showed me pictures and they were not bad at all. Other than the mildew smell around the air return, I probably didn't need it. But the mildew smell is gone so that part was worth it.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:10 am Looks like the freezer half of our side by side fridge is dead. We've just started planning for a move; do we buy a new one now or limp along until after the move so that we know the size in the new place? I can't see us moving for 6 months at least and we do have a stand along big freezer in the garage so we'll probably limp along.

:(
Thing to consider is back orders on new ones. When my washer quit, I had to have what was in stock, which was only a Samsung, Didn't want it due to repair history of Samsung but also didn't want to wait 3 months for another brand.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just got the wonderful news the A/C compressor in my wife's Highlander is dead. $2200. Ouch ouch ouch.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Lassr wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 am Thing to consider is back orders on new ones.
Good point.

At present we have too many refrigerators! We have

A side by side - broken freezer - in the kitchen
A side by side - broken door handle and old - in the garage
A freezer in the garage
A dorm fridge in the basement

The freezer is probably the only one I want to move with us now that the main one isn't freezing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

In my experience, large appliances like refrigerators and freezers typically stay with the home. If that's the case, I'd opt for getting a new refrigerator because I think the property will show better if the appliances are working. Just before we moved from our old house the over-the-range microwave died. We replaced it with a nice*, but not high-end, Samsung model that made the kitchen look good.

FWIW, we just had to buy a new refrigerator. We went a bit higher end because we're new to the house and planning on staying here for a good long while, but generally speaking there was a decent selection of refrigerators available. I just filtered on "In stock" on the various reseller sites to make sure I was only seeing what's available. Not sure if there's the same selection on the lower tiers that might make sense for a "replacement just before selling" fridge.

* "Nice" is a relative term with Samsung, because all Samsung appliances suck by definition. Fuck Samsung appliances. (But they look good.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Going out of stock at Pendleton. Usually $250, marked down to $200, and another 25% off with the current sale code, so $150. Grey is also on sale. Tan is not.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:34 am In my experience, large appliances like refrigerators and freezers typically stay with the home.
I haven't moved in so long that I have no idea if a refrigerator was here when we moved in or if we moved ours from the last house.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We bought ours for the house when we moved in.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:02 pm We bought ours for the house when we moved in.
Were you new construction, you didn't like they one that was there, or the new house just didn't have one?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Existing structure, was not included in the purchase.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:13 am Just got the wonderful news the A/C compressor in my wife's Highlander is dead. $2200. Ouch ouch ouch.
Been driving without AC this year for the cost of repair. If I keep the car another year, it will be another year without AC. Not pleasant.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:18 pm Existing structure, was not included in the purchase.
I wonder if this is one of those weird regional things. When house/condo shopping, I've never seen a house that didn't have a fridge (and all major appliances) unless it was a new construction or rehab that hadn't gotten around to the appliances yet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Small sample sizes.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:05 pm Small sample sizes.
You have no idea how many houses and condos I've looked at. ;) Plus my mom was a Realtor for many years, and having major appliances installed was taken as a given.

Next time I see my Realtor friend from Milwaukee I'll ask him about appliances there.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I bought my house as-is directly from the bank. It had a vintage stove and dishwasher that were built in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

In our area, if you have a non-conventional loan, the house must have an oven/stove. If you have a conventional loan, it doesn't. Thought that was weird.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:24 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:13 am Just got the wonderful news the A/C compressor in my wife's Highlander is dead. $2200. Ouch ouch ouch.
Been driving without AC this year for the cost of repair. If I keep the car another year, it will be another year without AC. Not pleasant.
I have friends who bought one of these, and used it when their van ac wasn't working. They thought it worked pretty well. https://www.icybreeze.com/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I kind of wish I could say "new car" (subsidized by insurance settlement) but in a brief conversation with a guy at the body shop, it's fixable. But he hedged, stating it depends on the internal damage (not just what was externally observable).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rocket Mortgage
In general, fixtures that are physically attached to the property will be included with the purchase of the home. This includes any items that would require tools to remove, from light fixtures to ceiling fans.
But just because the appliance isn’t included in the home sale doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have it. There’s always room to negotiate, so consider which items you would like to keep, and which can be replaced. Some common appliances that home buyers fight to keep include:

* Refrigerators
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My wife has a better memory. She says we have never moved into a house where the refrigerator was included. Small sample size though as we have only bought 2 houses! :D Both houses were old construction; one had been flipped and one was simply purchased from an owner that had moved.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It would be nice if everyone just agreed to leave the refrigerators. Doesn't seem cost effective to move them and they tend to get damaged easily if transported incorrectly.

My experience is that they usually come with the property but I've only ever shopped in Chicago. May be because space is at a premium and fridges are usually built around. Take a fridge to a new place, there's a chance it won't fit just so.

Today's purchase.
Enlarge Image

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

10 pounds of QEII.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We had to buy one of those this summer. Wife's car had been slowly dripping something for a long time. I couldn't identify the substance; it wasn't oily, had no odor, and I could only ever sample a drop or two at a time (on the driveway). Found out the hard way that it was AC fluid. I hated putting that much $$ into a 12-year-old car, but it has low mileage and we plan to keep it for another 2-3 years...plus the new car market is not something one wants to shop right now.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I"m sure that built in refrigerators are the dividing line. Both houses I've bought have had an obvious space for a fridge but it wasn't enclosed so different sized units were ok.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:47 pm Doesn't seem cost effective to move them and they tend to get damaged easily if transported incorrectly.

Today's purchase.
Enlarge Image
In my experience I'm the only non-professional who moves things without damaging them. Particularly appliances.

...and silver is so tempting until you've got seventy pounds of it weighing you down. Even then it's tempting because you get enough to fill a small chest unlike gold which you don't even get enough to fill a sandwich bag. :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:00 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:18 pm Existing structure, was not included in the purchase.
I wonder if this is one of those weird regional things. When house/condo shopping, I've never seen a house that didn't have a fridge (and all major appliances) unless it was a new construction or rehab that hadn't gotten around to the appliances yet.
When we were looking here in NJ it was 50/50. If the owners were taking them then they said so in the listing.
disarm

Post by disarm »

disarm wrote:We've committed to putting in an inground pool behind our house this summer, along with all the other necessary patio and landscaping work. It's a huge expense, but the fact that we saved money on a lot of things last year due to COVID (vacation, kid's extracurricular activities, etc) helps to offset the cost a bit. It's a total luxury expense, but still hurts to see the money start flowing out as we prepare to get started.
More than a year, later our project is finally done. Due to challenging weather conditions last summer, the pool didn't actually go in until the very end of August 2021. Then we hit delays because the landscaping/masonry and concrete companies were also behind schedule, pushing the rest of our construction to this year. We finally have everything finished almost exactly a year after they broke ground for the pool. Because we live in New England, this didn't leave us a lot of time to enjoy our backyard oasis this summer, but we're fully set for next year!

ImageImageImage
telcta

Post by telcta »

Wow, really nice disarm, looks very spacious for some serious family gatherings. Love the fire pit too. If you want OO guests, I'm probably 30 minutes away... I'll bring over a bottle of WhistlePig :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

First of all, that is hands-down lovely.

Second, question: Do you guys not have a law that requires a fence to inclose the pool? Or is that temporary fence a stand-in for some more work that is planned?
disarm

Post by disarm »

Unagi wrote:First of all, that is hands-down lovely.

Second, question: Do you guys not have a law that requires a fence to inclose the pool? Or is that temporary fence a stand-in for some more work that is planned?
We have very strict rules for fencing, but I took those pictures about a week before that was done. The whole area is enclosed now...black aluminum around the patio, and white PVC enclosing the pool equipment by the house.
telcta wrote:Wow, really nice disarm, looks very spacious for some serious family gatherings. Love the fire pit too. If you want OO guests, I'm probably 30 minutes away... I'll bring over a bottle of WhistlePig :D
Thanks for the compliments. To say we're happy with how it turned out would be an understatement. We've already had two gatherings of 15-20 people before the weather turned cold and it's working out great. Unfortunately, while the pool is heated, it's too cold to use now without burning up way too much propane.

And WhistlePig is great stuff. I have a bottle of 10yr single barrel that I received as a gift, and it's one of my favorite bottles at home right now...out of a pretty sizable collection Image