What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Chraolic

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Chraolic »

It wasn't exactly planned, but my TV crapped out on me all of a sudden so I ordered an LG 65CX to replace it with and it's quite the improvement. The old TV was a five years old QLED which had pretty good picture quality, but the new OLEDs are just incredible.
Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For a second there I thought you were buying a leopard.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Right now the big purchase is a Tesla Model Y -- coming...someday. To get ready for home charging I'm upgrading my electrical service. It was dodgy to begin with so getting it cleaned during an upgrade is a bonus complete with sub panel in my garage. It will also unlock the path to the 'get solar' perk.

I'm also getting basement/attic air sealing and insulation done. I'm home all the time and it will likely be measurably better. Right now we abandon the 2nd floor in the summer and flip the script in the winter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:13 am Right now the big purchase is a Tesla Model Y -- coming...someday. To get ready for home charging I'm upgrading my electrical service. It was dodgy to begin with so getting it cleaned during an upgrade is a bonus complete with sub panel in my garage. It will also unlock the path to the 'get solar' perk. .
Nice. What are you doing for charging? 14-50? Wall connector? J1772?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:56 pm
malchior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:13 am Right now the big purchase is a Tesla Model Y -- coming...someday. To get ready for home charging I'm upgrading my electrical service. It was dodgy to begin with so getting it cleaned during an upgrade is a bonus complete with sub panel in my garage. It will also unlock the path to the 'get solar' perk. .
Nice. What are you doing for charging? 14-50? Wall connector? J1772?
Wall connector for now but I'm starting to rethink it. I've now heard from everyone including the electrician that Tesla's decision to go with a 18' cord is really limiting. So maybe a Charge Point instead. The downside being the adapter obviously. That said, I expect I'll stick with the wall connector and I'll be parking rear in near the garage door. I plan to exterior mount the charger anyway. The sub panel is a big deal for me. The garage is my gym so it unlocks 240V heating or a heat pump easily.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It depends on how you're parking. I have one with a 25' cable (the old gen 2), and one with 8'. The 8' is more convenient for the car that is parked right next to it, since it's a lot cleaner-looking. The 25' one we rarely use the last 8' or so, as it just comes off the wall, around the back of the car, and in. The extra length is useful when we have a car parked in the driveway, though.

The reason I asked, though, is because lots of people like to just go with the mobile connector. It's a bit over half the price of a WC (and one comes with the car), has a 20' cable, and can plug into a 14-50 outlet (or any other outlet) that you can then also use for other stuff if needed. Can either use the one that comes with the car or get a 2nd for $275 and keep the original in the trunk for trips. Downside is it charges at a max of 32A vs 48A on the HPWC.

I love my dual HPWCs, but they can definitely be overkill.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup. I talked over mobile connector with the electrician and pricing was going to be similar each way (less the Wall Connector natch).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:32 pm Yup. I talked over mobile connector with the electrician and pricing was going to be similar each way (less the Wall Connector natch).
Definitely the way to go, then. 32A is plenty for overnight charging, but I've had a few times where having 48A was handy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The airconditioning in our 2019 Rogue took a shit moments after the warranty expired. The dealer could only narrow it down to two expensive parts. I had them replace one, it was the wrong one. It still doesn't work.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We finally have work crews ready to rehab our Lansing house immediately after Labor Day. That's going to run us around $10k (which goes really far in Lansing). If all goes well, we can put it on the market in October and expect it to sell by November. Once the fallout from that settles and we see how much money is left after realtor, taxes, closing costs and whatever else crops up, we can finally start planning to renovate our own house. That's when we have to start locking in a retirement plan. Ideally we can do our house next summer and start shopping for its replacement soon afterward, with an eye toward selling/moving in summer '23.

We've already put about $13k into keeping that house alive and cleaning it out, and that's before the contractors have at it. We'll definitely get our $23k investment back, and my BIL will get back the $8k that he's put in. After subtracting those repayments, we split what's left. So if it's $100k (to use a nice round number), we get $23k and BIL gets $8k, leaving $69k to divide by two. We're looking for a payday in the neighborhood of $55-60k.

Meanwhile, our mortgage (HELOC actually) will be paid off in eight months, and that monthly payment will start going into savings. Between the big payday, the monthly budget relief, and a wide-open HELOC, we are going to spend stupid amounts of money on housing over the next couple of years, and ultimately wind up in our final home.

At least that's the plan. It assumes that neither of us dies or suffers a health crisis, and that the apocalypse stays at arm's length for a few more years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Closing on a new house on 9/17, so I guess that's pretty major. Now just need to sell the old one.

Also going to be paying a pretty chunk of change to have a wheelchair lift added to the new house.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:26 am Closing on a new house on 9/17, so I guess that's pretty major. Now just need to sell the old one.

Also going to be paying a pretty chunk of change to have a wheelchair lift added to the new house.
Congrats/good luck!

Wife wants a new fridge and a new couch. Latest quote made me ask, "Did you say car or couch?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ejector pump for the catch basin. Hopefully before the next big rain.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This has been the year of all the not-so-fun but still-expensive stuff--painted the house, replaced fence gates, replaced sprinkler manifolds, new windows, and now a bathroom remodel due to an in-wall leak/mold issue. Fun times.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The HVAC blower on our main car crapped out a month or so ago. Dealer narrowed it down to a $400 part or a $550 part. So I had them replace the former...and naturally I chose wrong. The warranty expired 2000 miles ago.

I'm going to take it to a non-dealer shop and see if they can manage to fix it for less. Meanwhile, we're using the Versa a lot more....and that's in need of service and brakes.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am waiting for Madison Seating to ship me that darn Aeron I ordered more than 3 weeks ago (back in end of July!)

Next big ticket item... a new CPAP. I am going to see if my insurance balks at the prescription... when I see my doctor next. Hopefully next Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully not too much out of pocket. But I know how much those cost. My current one is 10+ years old.

After that? Probably a new mattress. I want one of those foam ones.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Well, my gaming PC is 11 years old so likely that.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Tesla Wall Connector and 200A electrical upgrade completed. Now the very uncertainly timed wait for the Tesla.

I'm also looking at a solar system. I got some very aggressively quoted prices at $2.30 - $2.50 a watt. One has a 6 year expected ROI.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:03 pm Tesla Wall Connector and 200A electrical upgrade completed. Now the very uncertainly timed wait for the Tesla.

I'm also looking at a solar system.
Wow. Job must be going very well. Alpha Centauri would be your best bet or the commute will be a pain.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm looking at a ~$2000 gaming laptop somewhere in December, probably as my Christmas gift to myself. Refurb, maybe. Maybe not. Specs & cost need to be determined. It'll be the first time in 25 years that I got a computer I didn't put together myself.

Trying to build a home in Vermont is going like shit, and in the last 4 months I've gotten more than a little tired of dragging my 40lb full tower back and forth to Maine. It's okay, though. I bought that computer 5 or 6 years ago now, so the money I spent wasn't for nothin'. I even rigged a 'handle' for the computer out of Velcro wrap, but it doesn't really make it better.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:26 am Closing on a new house on 9/17, so I guess that's pretty major. Now just need to sell the old one.

Quote is just short of $10K. Wheee!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My next big purchase is an 85" TV. Not that I need to justify that, but I'm about to justify it. :D

My current TV is a 50" Panasonic plasma that I've had forever (considering they no longer even make plasmas). It's been on the replacement list for awhile, but I was holding out until we bought a new house because my dream has been to have a dedicated home theater space.

With the new place we finally have that space, and in a rare act of perfect timing, the 50" has developed an annoying vertical line on one side, so it's slowly dying and giving me even more reason to ditch it.

So I've got the wall space to mount it, and I have it in the budget. I just have to pull the trigger. However, summer isn't a great time to buy TVs so I'm holding off for now and will really start shopping around as we get into the holiday season. I've been researching the big three (Sony, Samsung, LG), but leaning towards Samsung since that's what I'm most familiar with in the TV department. The OLEDs from LG are really nice but also likely a bit too out of my price range. I'm trying to get out under $3K, and hopefully with sales a LOT under $3K.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kollidge
JCC

Post by JCC »

YK, get an OLED. You won't regret it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

May invest in a Secret Labs gaming chair in the near future. Not a MAJOR purchase but more than I've ever spent on a chair.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

JCC wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 pm YK, get an OLED. You won't regret it.
This. The LG is worth it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take a closer look at those.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

gbasden wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:04 am
JCC wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 pm YK, get an OLED. You won't regret it.
This. The LG is worth it.
Good to know. I'm finally giving myself permission to buy a new TV in November for my birthday (and Black Friday) and I've had my eye on the LG OLEDs. My wife wants me to go whole hog and get the new LG G1 - the Gallery ones that comes in a frame and is really only for wall mounting. It's funny - for the first time in a long time, I have the money that is budgeted for this and I need a new one...but I'm still having some issues convincing myself it's ok. Too many years hoarding, too soon into spending I guess.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

After reading up this morning on the OLEDs, I'm a total convert. Now my decision will be whether or not to go with a slightly smaller screen size (77" looks like the only really affordable ones out right now), or hold off until January to see if they announce any 80"+ versions.

Right now I'm leaning towards just waiting to see what the sales look like this holiday and going for the 77" if I find a good price. At this point arguing between 77" and 80" is total first-world problem nonsense. It's still a big-ass TV.
JCC

Post by JCC »

YK, the C1 has an 83 inch size for a cool $5500. The C model is generally the one to get in terms of up to date internals and price. Avoid the new A1 model which is only 60hz. The B1 is very close to the C1 but with a slower processor. Above the C1 are the more luxury models.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

JCC wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 am YK, the C1 has an 83 inch size for a cool $5500. The C model is generally the one to get in terms of up to date internals and price. Avoid the new A1 model which is only 60hz. The B1 is very close to the C1 but with a slower processor. Above the C1 are the more luxury models.
I've got the C1 in a mere 65" peasant size and it's been fantastic.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hmm the 77-inch C1 is $2200 less. I think I can live with that for the price difference.

But I still have a couple of months to watch prices. I'll see how things are looking closer to Black Friday. Thanks again for the recommendations, this definitely helped educate me a great deal on the differences between OLED and QLED.
JCC

Post by JCC »

gbasden wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:45 pm I've got the C1 in a mere 65" peasant size and it's been fantastic.
Yes I got a CX just a little bit before the 2021 models were coming out. I absolutely love it. YK, as a plasma guy who loved the deep rich colors and quality blacks of plasma you will be much happier with an OLED vs a quality LED. I bemoaned the death of plasma years ago but the CX is by far the best TV with the best picture I have ever owned. Once you get it, you will love it.

The knock on OLEDs is that they don't get as bright but for me compared to my beloved plasmas when something HDR comes on it seems nearly blindingly bright to me. (In a good way.)
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I read about how they're a bit dimmer, but that shouldn't be a problem with the use case for this one. It will be almost exclusively used for family (and YK) movie night, so very little daytime use anticipated. I think another potential downside was burn-in, but coming from a guy who's survived two ancient plasmas that got daily use with no burn-in problems, I'm not too worried about that one.

I know the ones I saw in Best Buy were absolutely stunning, and those probably weren't even calibrated correctly.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Have a small list of projects that I would like to have done based on some funds I have been able to set aside. Settled on a portico for the front of the house since that has the most direct impact. I've called 5 different contractors/remodeling companies this week to discuss the project and get a quote and I've had zero call backs. :grund: Guess business is booming?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:56 pm Yeah I read about how they're a bit dimmer, but that shouldn't be a problem with the use case for this one. It will be almost exclusively used for family (and YK) movie night, so very little daytime use anticipated. I think another potential downside was burn-in, but coming from a guy who's survived two ancient plasmas that got daily use with no burn-in problems, I'm not too worried about that one.
Mine is much brighter than any of my plasmas. I calibrated mine based on RTINGS.com's recommendations. They recommend leaving HDR settings alone - the first time I saw something in HDR it was blinding compared to what I am used to. The ratio between bright things and dark things at the same time is truly amazing to behold. It has made me want to go back and rewatch some of my favorite movies. All of them have looked amazing. I can't imagine how bright some of the better Samsung QLEDs get. When Samsung's Micro-LED tech becomes affordable they may dethrone OLED but for now, the OLED is king of PQ.
Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Does a microwave count? Our over-the-range unit stopped working last night. Of course this is as we're trying to sell the house plus we actually use it frequently, so we need to replace it. Fucking Samsung appliances.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm My next big purchase is an 85" TV. Not that I need to justify that, but I'm about to justify it. :D

My current TV is a 50" Panasonic plasma that I've had forever (considering they no longer even make plasmas). It's been on the replacement list for awhile, but I was holding out until we bought a new house because my dream has been to have a dedicated home theater space.

With the new place we finally have that space, and in a rare act of perfect timing, the 50" has developed an annoying vertical line on one side, so it's slowly dying and giving me even more reason to ditch it.

So I've got the wall space to mount it, and I have it in the budget. I just have to pull the trigger. However, summer isn't a great time to buy TVs so I'm holding off for now and will really start shopping around as we get into the holiday season. I've been researching the big three (Sony, Samsung, LG), but leaning towards Samsung since that's what I'm most familiar with in the TV department. The OLEDs from LG are really nice but also likely a bit too out of my price range. I'm trying to get out under $3K, and hopefully with sales a LOT under $3K.
Holy shit!! The Viera?! I had the 40 in version for years. Bought it when I was 25 or so and I had it for 13 years before I replaced it. Bought a toshiba to replace it on prime day.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Drazzil wrote:Holy shit!! The Viera?! I had the 40 in version for years. Bought it when I was 25 or so and I had it for 13 years before I replaced it. Bought a toshiba to replace it on prime day.
Yep! I've still got my 42" version that still works like a champ. After I replaced it with the 50" I used it for years as a second monitor. Now it's in my son's room and is still going strong.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Drazzil wrote:Holy shit!! The Viera?! I had the 40 in version for years. Bought it when I was 25 or so and I had it for 13 years before I replaced it. Bought a toshiba to replace it on prime day.
Yep! I've still got my 42" version that still works like a champ. After I replaced it with the 50" I used it for years as a second monitor. Now it's in my son's room and is still going strong.
I'm amazed at how long those run. No loss of picture or decrease in color or anything. Works as good as the day I got it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.