What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never been anywhere but my wife spent the summer in Arizona and California and really loved San Diego. Still have a pic of her from the harbor cruise ...think it was Hornblower bay cruises and dinner. Id love to go see the city, do that cruise and visit the amazing zoo.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

geezer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:09 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am Good luck! I like MD and VA, although they're a little too steamy for our warming world. But if you're from TX you're used to hot. I don't have any personal experience with CA.
If you can afford the central coast of California I would recommend that. California has beautiful mountains but with the current wildfire situation it is hard to recommend that. Almost everywhere in California (except the coast) gets hot but humidity here doesn’t exist compared to the east coast.
We actually just got back from San Diego two days ago. We were just scouting, but my wife (surprisingly) ended up liking it so much that we put an offer in on an historic, but perfectly renovated, bungalow. We weren’t really ready, so a lot of things have to come through, but we’ll see.
I love the SD area. But depending where you are there traffic can be bad.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have some friends who recently bought a house near SD and now need to sell their condo in SD. It's a nice place in a good location. It's also considerably more than a million bucks. Housing is crazy expensive there.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:50 pm I have some friends who recently bought a house near SD and now need to sell their condo in SD. It's a nice place in a good location. It's also considerably more than a million bucks. Housing is crazy expensive there.
Anywhere along the coast is ridiculous. We used to dream about buying a place in the Sal Luis Obispo area, but those days are gone.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:21 pm
Anywhere along the coast is ridiculous. We used to dream about buying a place in the Sal Luis Obispo area, but those days are gone.
The wife and I dream of retiring to the Oregon coast. Housing prices in the Portland area are rising so quickly we might actually be able to afford it in 15 years when we're ready to sell our current home.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Exodor wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:58 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:21 pm
The wife and I dream of retiring to the Oregon coast. Housing prices in the Portland area are rising so quickly we might actually be able to afford it in 15 years when we're ready to sell our current home.
Except the house on the Oregon coast will have gone up to because of all the Californian’s buying there.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:40 am
Kurth wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 am A military prep boarding school for my incoming high school freshman. :shock:
Is that a reward or a punishment?
Honestly, it’s an attempt to help a good kid not end up a punk. Not a punishment, but also not something he really wanted to do. But he knew he should give it a shot, and he had veto power if he wanted to pull the plug on it.

He’s been there a little over two weeks now. We visited him this past weekend, and he’s doing well but still very home sick. Toughest thing we’ve had to do as parents, but I’m pretty confident it’s going to work out for him for the best.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:35 am Out here our inspections were done within 24-48 hours on both of my installs. The power co took 30+ days both times to do the 15-min work of a meter install.
Surprisingly the power company showed up today and swapped out the meter. He actually said I could energize it...but unfortunately the installer is in control of it at the moment. The system did fire up though (I'm not sure why) and it was generating 5KW at 5:30 PM so that's encouraging.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very nice.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Indeed. It shut down shortly thereafter. There is a 5 minute startup cycle. I think it'll come online until it gets the message it isn't supposed to be running. I cycled the system and saw the same thing. It waits 5 minutes, starts working, was on for about 5 minutes, and then shut down. In any case, hopefully they'll square this soon because I'm calculating I'm losing $10 a day it sits idle right now. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, weird. Maybe they're being more cautious about ensuring you've received PTO these days, but both of mine were literally a case of flipping the disconnect outside when we had the electric company's approval, then everything was on.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:13 pm Yeah, weird. Maybe they're being more cautious about ensuring you've received PTO these days, but both of mine were literally a case of flipping the disconnect outside when we had the electric company's approval, then everything was on.
The installer just emailed me to say someone would call me. It's in software. They also have to set me up with the Enphase account and all that jazz.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Your reply...
geezer

Post by geezer »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:49 pm
geezer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:09 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am Good luck! I like MD and VA, although they're a little too steamy for our warming world. But if you're from TX you're used to hot. I don't have any personal experience with CA.
If you can afford the central coast of California I would recommend that. California has beautiful mountains but with the current wildfire situation it is hard to recommend that. Almost everywhere in California (except the coast) gets hot but humidity here doesn’t exist compared to the east coast.
We actually just got back from San Diego two days ago. We were just scouting, but my wife (surprisingly) ended up liking it so much that we put an offer in on an historic, but perfectly renovated, bungalow. We weren’t really ready, so a lot of things have to come through, but we’ll see.
I love the SD area. But depending where you are there traffic can be bad.
We both work from home, so commuting thankfully isn't an issue. But we both travel for work at least monthly (wife more like weekly), so proximity to the airport is important for exactly that reason...
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:50 pm I have some friends who recently bought a house near SD and now need to sell their condo in SD. It's a nice place in a good location. It's also considerably more than a million bucks. Housing is crazy expensive there.
Yeah - "luckily" (I feel really bad saying that - as a property owner for the last 25 years I've done well but I feel horrible for someone who wants to buy their first place now) Austin has gone just as crazy, so we can basically make a lateral move - maybe even come out a little ahead.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 am I installed a new shower door when I had COVID. Highly recommend a bi-fold for an entry like that.
I had not thought about a bi-fold. If it can fold inwards, that would be ideal. Thanks.
Shower door guy came today to measure. Door can open inward or outward, not a bifold but a bi- swing..heh, heh, bi- swinger... 3 to 4 weeks back order. $700.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Project complete. This is a partial screenshot from my Sense Home Energy Monitor.

Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. How's your net metering setup out there? Are you paid retail or wholesale rates? Are you under a time-of-use plan?

I'm fairly fortunate that while CO doesn't have the crazy REC situation that some other states have to reduce install costs (IL, NJ in the past), we are on time-of-use and are paid the full retail rate for sold energy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are you paid for energy back to the grid or are you given a power raincheck so if you use some then it comes out of what you've uploaded?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 am Sweet. How's your net metering setup out there? Are you paid retail or wholesale rates? Are you under a time-of-use plan?
NJ is principally retail. If a month is negative they roll it into the next month. If you are net negative for the year then they pay wholesale for the balance. We have very little smart metering anywhere in NJ so no time-of-use. The new net meter is rf enabled but they'll still have someone walk up and do a monthly read on it.
I'm fairly fortunate that while CO doesn't have the crazy REC situation that some other states have to reduce install costs (IL, NJ in the past), we are on time-of-use and are paid the full retail rate for sold energy.
So our REC plan is a shit show. I'm in the successor program and I'm still guaranteed 15 years issuing me a REC for every KW. It's currently $90. It'll probably net about $1500 a year and it's reported income which is super annoying.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am Are you paid for energy back to the grid or are you given a power raincheck so if you use some then it comes out of what you've uploaded?
Similar to Malchior here--we're 'paid' back until/unless our monthly bill is $0. If it dips below that, it's banked against future months. If you have a banked balance at the end of a year, you get paid actual cash, but at the lower wholesale rate. Our PV system banks us credit in the summer months and we use that credit in the winter months as it's not a large enough system to cover the home and charging the cars in the winter.
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:07 amSo our REC plan is a shit show. I'm in the successor program and I'm still guaranteed 15 years issuing me a REC for every KW. It's currently $90. It'll probably net about $1500 a year and it's reported income which is super annoying.
I think you mean MWh. That seems like anything but a shit show--I'll net about $1500 total over ten years for CO's RECs, and that's people installing today get bupkus. I know you have a big system, but $22k is nothing to sneeze at, even if it's taxable and NPV is less due to the long payout period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:23 am I think you mean MWh.
Correct.
That seems like anything but a shit show--I'll net about $1500 total over ten years for CO's RECs, and that's people installing today get bupkus. I know you have a big system, but $22k is nothing to sneeze at, even if it's taxable and NPV is less due to the long payout period.
That's lack of context on my part here. The price is wildly unstable. It's $90 right now. It might be $5 tomorrow. It used to be hundreds of dollars. It's market traded now so I can't really depend on it being $22K. It could come in higher but seems doubtful. The price has only decreased over time.

The real problem with the REC situation is on the commercial side where they put everyone into a time-limited transition incentive program. There have been numerous issues. The state has refused to extend timelines. So we saw utilities dragging feet on connections - sorry project you missed the deadline - panels became scarce due to supply chain issues - sorry project you missed the deadline. The financials on big community and > 50MW scale projects fell apart. We've been seeing layoffs of construction crews throughout the state as the projects stall out. It's a legit shit show. Guess who owns the program? The Board of Public Utilities which nominally is public...but seems to consistently protect the utilities.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, yes, that does sound like a shitshow.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

geezer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 pm
Yeah - "luckily" (I feel really bad saying that - as a property owner for the last 25 years I've done well but I feel horrible for someone who wants to buy their first place now) Austin has gone just as crazy, so we can basically make a lateral move - maybe even come out a little ahead.
What’s the word on the potential new place, and whereabouts in San Diego? The boarding school we just started sending our youngest to is in Carlsbad, about 30 minutes north of the city. We’ve been going down a lot to tour, move him in, visit, and we’re becoming really fond of the San Diego area. This weekend, we even started checking out some open houses. But, man, the prices! We went to an open house for a 2 bedroom bungalow, about 1800 sq feet, priced at $2.4M. :doh:

But the area has a lot of what we’re really looking for. We both love the ocean and the beach, but the Pacific NW coast doesn’t do it for us at all. It’s all wet sand, cold water, and a constant roar of the ocean instead of waves coming in and out. And it’s usually raining.

The beach in Carlsbad is amazing. Great sand, perfect surf, moderate but warm temps. If we could somehow find (and afford) a place down there somewhere down the road (maybe after the kids get through school), I think it might fit us well.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:53 am
What’s the word on the potential new place, and whereabouts in San Diego?
This is my friends' condo.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:54 pm
Nice place. Almost affordable for the Palo Alto area, too, from what I hear.

Here's the 2BR, 1 bath, 1200 square foot place we saw in Carlsbad for a mere $2.7M. :shock:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm

Here's the 2BR, 1 bath, 1200 square foot place we saw in Carlsbad for a mere $2.7M. :shock:
Might I suggest the other Carlsbad?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm

After buying the condo for $1.3 million, you get to pay HOA fees of $733/mo. That's nuts.

I like that the Carlsbad house has a guest cottage.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

New tires?

I have maybe 6K miles on mine but low pressure came on. They're runflats so I topped them all off but it came back on a few days later and the left front looks to have a slow leak With all the potholes and construction debris I guess it's inevitable.

So looking at at least two new tires. The problem is going to be getting an appointment to get them changed. The $600 or whatever it's going to be isn't super thrilling either.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The internet says most tires should last 60,000 miles of normal driving, or six years.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:29 pm New tires?

I have maybe 6K miles on mine but low pressure came on. They're runflats so I topped them all off but it came back on a few days later and the left front looks to have a slow leak With all the potholes and construction debris I guess it's inevitable.

So looking at at least two new tires. The problem is going to be getting an appointment to get them changed. The $600 or whatever it's going to be isn't super thrilling either.
Slow leak - maybe try getting the tire repaired instead of replaced?

I've had that several times over the years (Michigan roads), repairs generally resolve the issue.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah it's probably a nail. Get it repaired.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could also be the valve stem or the wheel itself if you're hitting pot holes..
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm told that no one will repair run flats. I could try myself but will need to buy a jack.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:29 pm I have maybe 6K miles on mine but low pressure came on. They're runflats so I topped them all off but it came back on a few days later and the left front looks to have a slow leak With all the potholes and construction debris I guess it's inevitable.
We had this issue with my wife's car over the winter. We thought it was a temperature related issue (low pressure tire lights are the worst) at first, then after filling her tire and having it happen a few days later, we had the same slow-leak theory you did. Eventually we figured out it was a leak with the tire stem, not the tire proper. Annoying as hell.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
disarm

Post by disarm »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm told that no one will repair run flats. I could try myself but will need to buy a jack.
That depends on a few things...manufacturer of the tire, location of the puncture (same as any repair), and whether you drove on it with low/no pressure. Once you've driven on a run-flat with no air, the tire is ruined because it stresses the sidewalls and compromises the structure.

I've had mine repaired once (screw removed and plugged), but the tire shop was initially reluctant...took me showing them documentation from Goodyear saying it's safe in that particular area of the tire, and promising (truthfully) that I never drove on it with low pressure. Luckily, I saw the screw while I was pumping gas and the pressure never dropped much...kept putting air in until I could get it fixed. I've put somewhere around 30k miles on it since then with no issues.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I thought Pali Alto was in the south SF Bay Area? I didn’t know there was one in the SD area. And that’s a little rich for my budget. ;)

My aunt had a place in Redwood City, just north Palo Alto, she paid under $50k for it in the 1960s and after she died about 5 years ago it sold for just under $2m.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:22 am
My son takes piano, but we were able to get off a little easier by buying a nice full range digital keyboard. Those still aren't cheap, but they're a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an actual piano.
huh? people are constantly getting rid of pianos in quite playable shape for free or extremely cheap (you move) - check your local classifieds.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looked closely at my cars ac . usually when it wont blow cold air its low on freon...yes I know its no longer freon but we all call it that. It has had a leak for 3 years now and usually when low the clutch compressor will kick on off on off over and over. But this time the clutch is not engaging at all. That worries me and makes me think the entire compressor is now shot...which would suck as we had one put in the Trans-Am over 22 years ago and it cost $1200. best price I see local is like $800. Im hoping its just REALLY LOW and buying a $30 can of freon will fix it. If not Im out $30 and cold air for no telling how long as I ..blah hell with it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.