What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:56 pm Veneers need teeth to place them on. You can't put them on nothing.
You're thinking of a different kind of veneer. With these snap on veneers, they take a mold of your mouth and then make a complete set of teeth that snap onto some of the teeth you have, they also fill in where there's missing teeth too. If you have a chipped tooth they'll mold the snap on so it doesn't show the chip. You probably do need a certain number of teeth to make them work, but it sounds like he has some teeth remaining.

Or what does a set of dentures run you in Mexico? Looks like they run about $600 US in Thailand. I can't believe you didn't get yours in the Philippines.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife got hers in the Philippines for about $75. I didn't need them when I was last there, 10 years ago. When I was told I needed to start with implants to anchor any sort of appliance, I investigated and the quotes I got for dental implants were the same as here (about $3500 per tooth, or I'd guess $10K in today's inflation-adjusted dollars).
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've got a "My Pillow" on the way. I'm pretty hard to please in regard to pillows so I'm hoping it's better than my current "just ok" pillows. The best pillows I've ever used are "down alternative pillows", but they're a little harder to find than the average pillow.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just bought a piece of exercise equipment that cost more than my first 4 cars combined. Yeah, they were pretty cheap used cars and it was like 30 years ago, but still.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

em2nought wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:52 am I've got a "My Pillow" on the way. I'm pretty hard to please in regard to pillows so I'm hoping it's better than my current "just ok" pillows. The best pillows I've ever used are "down alternative pillows", but they're a little harder to find than the average pillow.
I had one a few years ago and I hated it. Caused a lot of neck pain. Mother in law loved hers.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

With the ex-wife remarried and no more alimony I'm looking at what I can get myself. I may join MSDUNCAN and get Stormtrooper armor.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We finally closed on the Lansing house today. The buyer closes tomorrow, then our lawyer reviews our records and closes out the estate, THEN we can finally distribute the money.

Now we have to figure out how we're going to deploy it.

For starters, I need to remove/trim some trees and rebuild our front porch.

Then we have to decide whether we're going to renovate this house to maximize its sale value, OR use the cash as a down payment on a new house, and then sell this one as a fixer-upper. We're going to need some professional advice to make that decision -- i.e., how much can we raise its value if we invest all of our cash, and how much disruption would we have to endure? If we spend $100k to increase its value by $150k, is that worth doing if we have to move out for a month while they rebuild the kitchen?

We also have to stop waffling about where we're going to retire and commit to a plan.

Lots of big decisions and huge expenses on the horizon, and I want to have a plan and start executing it by the end of May. (I realize that hiring contractors is going to take a long time, if we go the renovation route.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lets all do Xmann's plan..sell everything, get an RV, and ride around the country. We can set up a time to crash into each other in Atlanta in say 5 years on Peach Tree Ave :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have six large trees in my yard that need to be removed because they’re dead/dying.

I’m sure that won’t be expensive, right?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:45 pm I have six large trees in my yard that need to be removed because they’re dead/dying.

I’m sure that won’t be expensive, right?
Tree Removal Service? You will be shocked at the cost.

Fire? Free!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Probably should estimate $750-1000 per tree,at least (we paid $2200 for 2 trees), depending on how big they are. Hopefully you'll get a discount for bulk.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:00 pm Probably should estimate $750-1000 per tree,at least (we paid $2200 for 2 trees), depending on how big they are. Hopefully you'll get a discount for bulk.
Holy shit. I knew it'd be more expensive than I'd like, but...damn. :shock:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:05 pm
TheMix wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:00 pm Probably should estimate $750-1000 per tree,at least (we paid $2200 for 2 trees), depending on how big they are. Hopefully you'll get a discount for bulk.
Holy shit. I knew it'd be more expensive than I'd like, but...damn. :shock:
You may be able to get cheaper quotes. Especially if the wood is good for burning (and you let them keep it, obviously). Also, I'd be careful about really low bids. Make sure that they are bonded and going to pull necessary permits, if required. My trees were dropped in the street.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, I figure on $1,000 per tree.

I have to remove a dead maple that's right near the street and isn't too large. I expect to get a lower price for that one. Then I want to remove a small Bradford pear that broke in half last year. The living part is recovering, but the trunk has a weird S shape now and it's too close to the garage anyway. It's near the back of my property and harder to access, so I expect it to cost more even though it's small. While they're back there I want them to trim the lower branches from two other Bradfords, which ought to be cheap. I could do it myself with a chain saw and a step ladder, if I had a chain saw. Finally, there are a couple of maples that need their lower branches removed.

If I can get someone to remove the two trees and trim three others for under $3k, I'll consider that a fair price. I have a coupon for one service that gives 20% off for senior citizens, but you have to mention the coupon at the time of the estimate, so I imagine they'll inflate the price by 20% and then discount it to normal.

I really hate dealing with contractors and service people, but I expect to do a lot of that in the coming year...starting Monday, with the tree services. Just gotta put on my big boy pants and follow through.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll be working through a complex set of projects this Spring. I'm having a deck built and a solar system added to the house. The deck is relatively straightforward concept wise. I currently have a slider out of my kitchen to steps down to a slate patio overlooking the pool. We'll rip out the steps and build out a Composite Deck with two staircases off either side that meet up with existing paver paths.

My house has a really good orientation and low angle roof that'll mean I can drop a fairly beefy solar build on it. Probably will come in at 20.2kW. The loan payment before tax credits will be about what I spend on electricity averaged out per month now. I can take the tax credit and pay down the principal and they'll recapitalize the loan. I'll probably go down that road. In any case, that'll require tree services as there are at least two trees that shade my house. They're at the end of their lives and one is only about 5 feet from the foundation wall on that side. It is probably best to remove them anyway. That guy is coming out tomorrow. Those are big boy trees so I expect it'll be big bucks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just got the tree quote. I tried not to laugh in his face at his preposterous quote. I've used them before so I was surprised. He clearly is pricing it crazy because he doesn't want to do the job. Two trees. $6400. I had them do 3 trees a few years back and paid under $2K. Get the heck out of here. Next.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Spent $220 on an impact wrench and batteries so I could change my oil filter. Toyota put a canister filter on this vehicle and there are apparently lots of problems getting them off. Finally got mine off, and it's the dirtiest filter I've ever seen. It might be my imagination, but I think the engine sounds better. LOL I bet it didn't get changed for 30,000 miles at least. When I change my filters at 3000 they don't even look dirty so... I kind of wanted a battery impact wrench anyway because I'm getting too old to change wheels by hand.

Next a new water heater, and granite to replace the beat up bathroom vanity top so I can sell this place as soon as possible, but first gotta take some of my mom's stuff to my sister who wants it, but doesn't want to transport it herself I guess. :think:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$20K for new roof deck now. Yay labor and lumber!

But in perspective it makes the new stove/range, fridge, and dishwasher that the wife wants to get look like small purchases. So there's that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

My third-floor office window frame has rotted to uselessness. If I attempt to open the window, the bottom of the frame risks separating and taking the glass pane with it. (I think this window has been in place since the 1950s.)

I'd love to have a casement window installed so that I can get full top-to-bottom ventilation. This is an attic-level window on the back of the house, so it doesn't have to be gorgeous, but I imagine it will still run $600 or so.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife and I did a bit of a splurge for our 20th wedding anniversary and bought a rowing machine. Rowers are one of the few pieces of exercise equipment that she really enjoys, as do I. While I run/walk for cardio, she has a bum knee that prevents her from being able to jog, so she's looking forward to having a low-impact option.

After a lot of research, we went with the Aviron. It's a high-end rower like the Hydrow, but isn't as tightly locked into a subscription model to be useful. It also came down to personal training preference. The Hydrow is pretty much all instructor-led classes, which are by all accounts fantastic. But both my wife and I also like to just do our own thing, and the Aviron seemed to offer a lot more flexibility on that front. While it doesn't offer its own instructor-led classes, it does support built-in streaming of YouTube so you can just pull up your own videos.

The final advantage of the Aviron, for me, was that it has strength-training level resistance modes and workouts. That's an area I really want to improve upon, and having that built in to a rower was a big plus. They're taking 2-4 weeks to ship at the moment so it will be awhile before I can review it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm getting my riding lawnmower fixed.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:12 pm My third-floor office window frame has rotted to uselessness. If I attempt to open the window, the bottom of the frame risks separating and taking the glass pane with it. (I think this window has been in place since the 1950s.)

I'd love to have a casement window installed so that I can get full top-to-bottom ventilation. This is an attic-level window on the back of the house, so it doesn't have to be gorgeous, but I imagine it will still run $600 or so.
We had all our windows replaced 3-4 years ago. It was 11 windows, plus a sliding glass door.

I was shocked at the variability in the quotes. We got five quotes, which ranged from $3,500 on the low end (which was suspiciously low) to $26,000 on the high end. We went with a company in the middle that had been recommended by a few of our neighbors. Cost us around $6K, iirc.

I actually laughed when the guy from Anderson handed me his $26K quote. His whole shtick was that their windows were far superior, and we'd likely have to replace the other guy's windows multiple times before we ever needed to replace the Anderson windows. I reminded him that even if I had to replace the other guy's windows 3 times, it would still be thousands cheaper than what he was quoting me. He got pretty huffy about that. :lol:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We're in the middle of renovating our patio. The screen was all torn and the aluminum framing warped and twisted when we bought the home 6+ years ago. Now, we finally are able to do something about it. Unfortunately, we also found some serious water damage that had to be repaired and added another couple of grand to the process.

My next major purchase that is purely for fun will be a new grill. I just got a nice raise at work, so I'm going to be treating myself. We bought a propane grill when we moved into the house, and it rusted away to nothing in just 3-4 years. My plan was to replace it with a Blackstone griddle and Weber charcoal grill. I got the Blackstone last year for Father's Day, and now I'm looking at getting the Weber. The one I want is kind of hard to find in stores around here though (Master Touch Premium Kettle). I'm probably going to have to buy that online at some point here soon. And that delay has now given me enough time to question whether I would be happier getting a wood-pellet smoker instead...
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:40 am $20K for new roof deck now. Yay labor and lumber!
My parents are having to put a new metal roof on their home, which will be about $27k. As part of our refinance, I took out $10k to put towards our new roof, which we'll need to do here soon. I'd like to get a metal roof, but I doubt we'll be able to afford that. My in-laws also just got a letter from the insurance company saying that they have to either replace their roof or lose their insurance.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in Florida insurance companies don't like to insure shingle roofs over 10 years old. The roofers tell customers that their shingles are under warranty for 30 years, but the truth is the roof will never make it to be that old. My parent's roof is 18 years old, and none of the insurance companies in the state will touch them. The in-laws this week just got a letter from their insurance company saying to replace their 16-year-old roof or lose coverage. There are zero leaks or reported issues with either roof, they just got too old. Our roof is around 12 years old now. We might have a few years left, but at some point, it will have to get replaced.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 am We're in the middle of renovating our patio. The screen was all torn and the aluminum framing warped and twisted when we bought the home 6+ years ago. Now, we finally are able to do something about it. Unfortunately, we also found some serious water damage that had to be repaired and added another couple of grand to the process.

My next major purchase that is purely for fun will be a new grill. I just got a nice raise at work, so I'm going to be treating myself. We bought a propane grill when we moved into the house, and it rusted away to nothing in just 3-4 years. My plan was to replace it with a Blackstone griddle and Weber charcoal grill. I got the Blackstone last year for Father's Day, and now I'm looking at getting the Weber.
IDK about charcoal, but my Weber Genesis gas grill has been in service since 2006. Last summer I noticed that a hole had opened up in the firebox, but it still cooks fine so I'm going to flog it for at least one more season. Weber quality is worth the premium price.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'll echo the Weber love. I've had mine for at least 10 years. I've had to replace the burners and grates once during that time, but that was due more to my own neglect than any fault of the parts. And it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new grill.

But apart from the durability, I just love the way the thing cooks. I am by NO means a great cook, or even a great grillmaster, but even I find it hard to screw up meals on that thing.

Before the Weber, I probably threw away close to $1000 on a series of cheap grills that would last a year or two before rusting out.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Nice. I'm excited for some of the add-on options for the Weber kettle. There's a rotisserie option in particular. It's almost as much as the grill, but I think I would be using that thing constantly.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:28 pm Before the Weber, I probably threw away close to $1000 on a series of cheap grills that would last a year or two before rusting out.
Yeah I went through four cheap grills in our first 16 years here, and that was overwintering them in the garage. I just came to think of gas grills as disposable. The Weber's been sitting outdoors for 16 years and I think it has a couple more left in it. (I do cover it during the winter, but there's controversy over whether that's good or bad because the cover traps moisture.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

My neighbor (one house beyond) is a restaurateur and has installed an outdoor grill/stove/everything like you've never seen. It's a wide cooking surface covered from rain but has full access to controlled gas, wood, and charcoal heat.

He owns a few restaurants (mostly Italian and Mediterranean) and brings in his best cooks to present new or classic recipes for the neighbors in a backyard party once a year. I feel lucky to live nearby.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Post by Default »

No big purchases in my future, but I'm getting started building musical instruments for a hobby. I figure it will take a couple of guitars before I get acceptable results. I can't really get what I want at guitar center, so I might as well do it myself. I figure that I'll be buying $400-500 worth of figured maple just to get started.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Holman wrote:My neighbor (one house beyond) is a restaurateur and has installed an outdoor grill/stove/everything like you've never seen. It's a wide cooking surface covered from rain but has full access to controlled gas, wood, and charcoal heat.

He owns a few restaurants (mostly Italian and Mediterranean) and brings in his best cooks to present new or classic recipes for the neighbors in a backyard party once a year. I feel lucky to live nearby.
I'm in a similar situation. The guy next door used to own several delis in NYC and is also quite the pizza chef. He's building a full outdoor kitchen and pizza oven. He's invited us over to watch football games and had 5 or 6 various homemade pizzas laid out buffet style. He quickly became my new best friend. :D
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:06 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:28 pm Before the Weber, I probably threw away close to $1000 on a series of cheap grills that would last a year or two before rusting out.
Yeah I went through four cheap grills in our first 16 years here, and that was overwintering them in the garage. I just came to think of gas grills as disposable. The Weber's been sitting outdoors for 16 years and I think it has a couple more left in it. (I do cover it during the winter, but there's controversy over whether that's good or bad because the cover traps moisture.)
I too finally bought a Weber 4 years ago. It is still going strong, I keep it covered year round. Cheaper grills, I would have to replace them about every 3 years.

Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I bought my Weber Genesis when I bought my house in 2012. It has been sitting on my slate patio uncovered the entire time. In year 3 or 4, the electric igniter got a bit wonky and sometimes I light it manually but otherwise it looks the same now as it did then for the most part.
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 am We're in the middle of renovating our patio. The screen was all torn and the aluminum framing warped and twisted when we bought the home 6+ years ago. Now, we finally are able to do something about it. Unfortunately, we also found some serious water damage that had to be repaired and added another couple of grand to the process.

My next major purchase that is purely for fun will be a new grill. I just got a nice raise at work, so I'm going to be treating myself. We bought a propane grill when we moved into the house, and it rusted away to nothing in just 3-4 years. My plan was to replace it with a Blackstone griddle and Weber charcoal grill. I got the Blackstone last year for Father's Day, and now I'm looking at getting the Weber. The one I want is kind of hard to find in stores around here though (Master Touch Premium Kettle). I'm probably going to have to buy that online at some point here soon. And that delay has now given me enough time to question whether I would be happier getting a wood-pellet smoker instead...
don't get a pellet. Get a Masterbuilt Gravity Series. I have the 1050. It's similar to the pellet in terms of convenience, but you get that nice charcoal cook. you can smoke, you can grill, you can BBQ. If you get the 800 series it comes with a griddle.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote:don't get a pellet. Get a Masterbuilt Gravity Series. I have the 1050. It's similar to the pellet in terms of convenience, but you get that nice charcoal cook. you can smoke, you can grill, you can BBQ. If you get the 800 series it comes with a griddle.
That does look cool. Damn it.

I’d probably need to look at the 560 to start though. The 1050 is outside what I’m willing to spend right now.
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 pm
naednek wrote:don't get a pellet. Get a Masterbuilt Gravity Series. I have the 1050. It's similar to the pellet in terms of convenience, but you get that nice charcoal cook. you can smoke, you can grill, you can BBQ. If you get the 800 series it comes with a griddle.
That does look cool. Damn it.

I’d probably need to look at the 560 to start though. The 1050 is outside what I’m willing to spend right now.
i'll be honest, the 560 feels a bit cheap in material vs the 1050. I would recommend going to Home Depot or other stores that carry them and compare. Academy, ACE, Cabella's carry them as well.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:02 pm
don't get a pellet. Get a Masterbuilt Gravity Series. I have the 1050. It's similar to the pellet in terms of convenience, but you get that nice charcoal cook. you can smoke, you can grill, you can BBQ. If you get the 800 series it comes with a griddle.
Please tell me more! Do you have one? Are you happy with it?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trees not quite as bad as I expected. $2,400 to take out all six, another $1,000 to grind the stumps.

Still a major ouch, but not quite as bad as I thought.
naednek

Post by naednek »

gbasden wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:48 pm
naednek wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:02 pm
Please tell me more! Do you have one? Are you happy with it?
I have the Masterbuilt Gravity 1050 Series for over a year. It retails for $799, I know you are in Sacramento where it's BBQ year round so they don't go on sale much, but back east I've seen people get them for 250 off season.

I personally love mine. I came from a Traeger. I like my Traeger but always felt it wasn't smokey enough. You know when you go inside a BBQ joint like JR's off of Florin? It hits ya in the face!

The Masterbuilt was closer to that than the Traeger. I could walk outside to get the mail and smell the sweet smells of apple wood serenading the pork shoulder :)

The first few meals my family told me how much better it tasted. Same food, just different tool.

Now with all of that said. It's not top of the line. There are failure points. It's like a Traeger in terms of being able to control the heat with a digital controller. Instead of an augur it uses gravity (See what they did?) and a fan. The digital controller controls basically a computer case fan that blows air into the hopper where the charcoal is at. As the charcoal burns down the ashes fall into the ash bin, and the charcoal feeds down due to gravity.

There are 2 sliders that you insert between the hopper and the cooking chamber\ash bin. You take them out when you cook, and put them in when you are done to snuff out the fire. IF you forget, you just wasted a hopper full of charcoal. I've seen people put red tassels on the sliders to remind them :) The app has a reminder as well (I think)

The air pushes the smoke and heat inside the cooking chamber. I get pretty good consistent temps inside. Like the Traeger to get a better seal you can mod it with that fireproof seal. I haven't really modded mine and never really had any problems.

There's 3 sensors at each door (cooking chamber, top of hopper, and the ash bin where you also access to light the charcoal). Overtime the grill will get dirty from use, from dumping charcoal in the hopper and the dust getting everywhere, and from the ash. Sometimes that dirt gets into the sensor and the sensor loses connection. This will cause the fan to not turn on. This has happened to me twice over the time I've owned it. For me the fix was to buy a can of electrical cleaner. I just spray it over the sensor, use a towel to push the sensor in and out to get the cleaner inside the sensor and that fixed the issue. Others have taken the sensors out and crossed the wires. This makes the fan always on (controller still controls the speed) Fan stays on when you open the hopper or cooking chamber, and that can be a fun way to shave off your eyebrows.. You can also order replacements parts.

Other issue I've seen from people is sometimes hot charcoal would somehow end up inside the fan and then melt. That hasn't happened to me but I've seen it from people a few times. You can replace the fan and back as new.

The hopper has firebrick in the inside, and then a thin piece of metal that keeps it in place. Overtime that metal will dissolve exposing the firebrick. Masterbuilt says that's by design as it's used to keep it place during shipment. The firebrick will harden overtime and will keep things insulated. It looks horrible inside, but I'm still going strong.

You can buy a mod from a guy who basically makes a certain size stainless steel encasing that goes inside the hopper to help preserve it. I didn't do that and don't plan to.

Lastly the app is good when it works. I haven't had much success. I don't rely on it. But when it does work you can monitor temps on your phone, change temps, receive alerts, power off etc. It comes with 4 probe inserts (think they give you 1 probe) I use a 3rd party temperature reader with 4 probes that I can access with my phone as this works better than their app. The problem is I have no control of the controller. I accepted that and I don't really care as I'm usually outside having a beer escaping the loud house.

I've cooked tri-tip, pork shoulders, steaks, hamburgers, chicken, pork loin, veggies you name it. Done overnight smoking. Charcoal lasts all night but you will want to be up in the morning to refill.

The amount of charcoal you use varies on cook time, cook temp, weather... But for a 20 pound bag I can get about 4 cooks in depending on what I'm cooking.

Anyways you can tell I love mine, but it's not perfect. For the price point I don't expect it to be. It does enough and I can live with some of the issues. Some of these issues doesn't always happen so don't let them dissuade you.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Interesting! I'm currently using a Traeger as well as a traditional Weber propane grill. The Traeger has been good for brisket and ribs, but obviously can't sear, so I've done my traditional cooking on the Weber. This might be a great answer for combining them into one unit.