What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:29 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:43 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:26 pm ...and we lost again. According to our realtor, the two offers were very similar, but the winner is using a local lender. Which rationally shouldn't matter, but people in the Berkshires are parochial about supporting local businesses. The seller's realtor told our agent that the seller is crazy and he'll be glad when he doesn't have to work with them anymore.

If the sale falls through again we'll resubmit again because we still really want that house, but we'll drop back to the original lower offer because fuck them.
When I bought my current home almost 5 years ago now, my realtor told me to use a local lender because it would be a lot more responsive than relying on my usual bank.

It worked great, and I wound up refinancing with my current bank when interest rates tanked even further a year later anyway.
There are advantages to using Wife's employer's credit union (low rates, low fees, rapid turnaround), and they're a respected name brand. I can see where going local can be a tie-breaker, as it apparently was here, but I'll stick with Plan A unless it happens again. Our realtor feels that it shouldn't be a problem.
My credit union isn't exactly known for quick response times, especially on weekends, so I'm glad I listened to my realtor in my particular situation. But I can see why you'd want to stick with your Plan A, that's for sure.
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:26 pm ...and we lost again. According to our realtor, the two offers were very similar, but the winner is using a local lender. Which rationally shouldn't matter, but people in the Berkshires are parochial about supporting local businesses. The seller's realtor told our agent that the seller is crazy and he'll be glad when he doesn't have to work with them anymore.

If the sale falls through again we'll resubmit again because we still really want that house, but we'll drop back to the original lower offer because fuck them.
I wish the market for condos here was as hot as your market for houses apparently is at the moment. I've had five showings so far in a month. I dropped my price a little bit as the closest comparable dropped his price a bit, but he's up a flight of stairs which is kind of a big deal in God's waiting room. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

New tires for my car (and an alignment).

Went to get tires rotated and a couple checked - was informed front tires are down to 3/32's, back to 4/32's. Since Belle Tire was having President's Day sales, the Michelin Defender 2 were offering $110 in rebates. Went with those.\

Did alignment with 1 year warranty, need to go in again within the year for free alignment (if it's needed, being in Michigan, potholes galore... it'll be needed).

$1283 before rebates.
Holman

Post by Holman »

$2600 for roofing.

The house is three stories with a tall chimney, built before 1900.

In recent years the chimney flashing has developed a leak that allowed heavy rain to trickle down to the ceiling of a 2nd floor bedroom, which has now developed a two-foot-long, two-inch wide opening along the ceiling/wall angle. Unattended, this would eventually had led to structural rot.

We'll worry about cosmetically patching the ceiling hole later. The $2600 was just about the work around the chimney. (Apparently it would have been almost $800 less if it hadn't involved the risks of a long ladder and a 3rd-floor roof.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our roof has the "Steep" modifier that raises our price.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Wow! $2600 for a little flashing around a chimney! :shock: I'd feel ill once they told me that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I had the flashing replaced 10-ish years ago, it only cost me three figures, but the roof looked like crap where they replaced shingles that only sort-of matched. It did stop the leaking. Never did fix the stained ceilings, though.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We are looking at several things. A new front door and side garage door, mounting a ceiling fan on the back patio, a new gutter on the front roof at the porch and finally solar.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My plans for when I pay off the home in no order....

pay off credit card
pay off well pump
repair car
build new pc
install nice sound system in car(wanted one since I was a teen)
buy a new mattress and box springs

Ill be a normal person once Im out of debt...so weird.

I might even go so far as get a real computer desk and chair. My God that would be a huge change after 28 years. But if I did I could get some some backlighting and stuff,.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:24 pm I might even go so far as get a real computer desk and chair. My God that would be a huge change after 28 years. But if I did I could get some some backlighting and stuff,.
That and the mattress will do wonders for your aching back. I'd go so far as to call them medically necessary.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:24 pm My plans for when I pay off the home in no order....

pay off credit card
pay off well pump
repair car
build new pc
install nice sound system in car(wanted one since I was a teen)
buy a new mattress and box springs

Ill be a normal person once Im out of debt...so weird.

I might even go so far as get a real computer desk and chair. My God that would be a huge change after 28 years. But if I did I could get some some backlighting and stuff,.
Just curious. Whats your timeline for the mortgage?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm I got my first statement from the new mortgage company. Nothing on them but I realized while looking at it I have 4 payments left not the 3 I thought I had...I think.

See my payments come due on the 27th and I pay them when my check comes the next 3rd. So say bill is die March 27th I pay April 3rd. I have a grace period luckily for that so no late fee until the 10th or so.

Anyways that means I have a payment due to March, April, May, and June....Im guessing I have one in June as it matures in June. Shrug. So close now. Much closer than I was 6 years ago when my wife passed and even much much closer than the 15 years ago when we took it out. Wish she could see I was able to handle it and keep the home and be here to celebrate it all.

After June I figure 3 months or 4 to pay off the credit card debt then one more for the well pump. Then Im out of debt. then its time to get a washing machine and fix the car and do a lot of repairs to it. THEEeeeeeeeeen its time to build a new pc...so say by the time Im 105 :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I agree - push the bed up to high priority, and the sound system and PC to the lowest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

$6k vet bill because the dog ate a toy and it blocked her stomachs exit, requiring surgery. That will take care of the tax credit from the car.

Does that count as a purchase?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Thinking about getting a 450 bushmaster, or 45-70 as a friend is acquiring a piece of property frequented by wild boar which should make for some great Thai Larb Moo. :think:

...and, for Hepcat, no, "wild boar" is not some sort of euphemism for illegal aliens. :doh:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm Thinking about getting a 450 bushmaster, or 45-70 as a friend is acquiring a piece of property frequented by wild boar which should make for some great Thai Larb Moo. :think:

...and, for Hepcat, no, "wild boar" is not some sort of euphemism for illegal aliens. :doh:
My mind assumes this is english.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:46 pm
em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm Thinking about getting a 450 bushmaster, or 45-70 as a friend is acquiring a piece of property frequented by wild boar which should make for some great Thai Larb Moo. :think:

My mind assumes this is english.
Don't worry, you can't afford any of it. :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Classy.

Dae, they're guns.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Was watching hockey with thr Kiddo on Saturday. She mentioned thst she wanted to go to her first Blackhawks game. They were in town the next day so I found a decent price day of game for some good seats (203 Club, row 1). But you know, first game so she got merch and all the food....
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:36 am Was watching hockey with thr Kiddo on Saturday. She mentioned thst she wanted to go to her first Blackhawks game. They were in town the next day so I found a decent price day of game for some good seats (203 Club, row 1). But you know, first game so she got merch and all the food....
I mean, why don't you just ask him for free tickets?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:40 am Classy.

Dae, they're guns.
I thought he was being snarky, if not I apologize.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

45-70 and 450 Bushmaster aren't really common things outside of gun circles. I don't think I've heard either mentioned outside of private conversations since I stopped working in a gun shop in the early 90s. And even then the only 45-70 we carried was a derringer (!).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Apparently my next major purchase is the federal government. I have to go over the numbers in detail, but it looks like we got clobbered. Will post in the taxes thread when I sort it all out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$7500 to saw through the driveway and fix the water line leak that's underneath.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 pm $7500 to saw through the driveway and fix the water line leak that's underneath.
Bargin - that's a $14k job here.

Although, I'm sure it is also partly a matter of how much they cut and dig-out.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

$11k for a backflow preventer and pump.

Hopefully we can get it done before our neighbor's shit ends up in our basement again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:(

So many horror stories associated with a lack of a back flow prevention valve. The things I've seen. I hope you get yours installed and it's the last time you ever think about it.
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 pm $7500 to saw through the driveway and fix the water line leak that's underneath.
Is the broken pipe related to being under the driveway? In other words, is the line not deep enough and/or adequately sleeved to protect against loads (i.e. your cars) over it? I know you're getting it repaired, but check to make sure the "fix" includes sleeving it and properly back-filling so it doesn't happen again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think it's old, shifting soil, and our freezes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's certainly possible, but I've seen enough cracked lines under driveways that happened because the inspector that was there during construction didn't actually verify it was done right. Or maybe construction codes/inspections are different in your part of 'merica. Shifting soil does happen, but anything under a working surface (i.e. driveway) should be reinforced - unless it's deep (so deep) as not to be a concern.

And yes, home ownership - ain't it grand?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will try to remember to bring it up on the next interaction.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh guns. Ok.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 pm $11k for a backflow preventer and pump.

Hopefully we can get it done before our neighbor's shit ends up in our basement again.
Oh no. We had a city water backflow into our last home. The first thing we looked at in our current home was the backflow system, sump pump and drain tiles.

We had the check valves fail a few weeks ago, spraying water in the utility room every time the pump activated. Fortunately we had a water sensor in the room and were able to throw a towel over it which captured the water back into the basin until the plumber arrived to replace/upgrade it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm thinking about getting an external hard drive at around 1TB. USB for $100. Thinking about putting movies on it. Don't really have all that space for storing the movies in the closet or something.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:29 pm
Archinerd wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 pm $11k for a backflow preventer and pump.

Oh no. We had a city water backflow into our last home. The first thing we looked at in our current home was the backflow system, sump pump and drain tiles.

We had the check valves fail a few weeks ago, spraying water in the utility room every time the pump activated. Fortunately we had a water sensor in the room and were able to throw a towel over it which captured the water back into the basin until the plumber arrived to replace/upgrade it.
I should clarify, we haven't had any issues since last summer. We're just moving forward with this now since spring seems to be here for real now.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 pm
Bargin - that's a $14k job here.

Although, I'm sure it is also partly a matter of how much they cut and dig-out.
Holy double crap! :shock: If I'd gotten an estimate like either of those I'd have been shopping for or renting a concrete saw to do it myself. Those are outrageous prices. I think I could have done it myself for under $500. I'd have probably just temporarily piped it across the top of my driveway until I was ready to do the concrete cutting. I wonder if they couldn't have just jetted a new pipe under there? If it was a straight shot that might have only been a $100 DIY :think:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I just paid the bill for a 11 night cruise around the UK, sailing out of Amsterdam.
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:17 pm New Vinyl Flooring incoming. Doing the whole house except Bedrooms and bathrooms, 1200 sq ft. I'll be really glad to get the old laminated flooring up.
Gonna be fun laying it with a stairwell right in the middle of the dining room and great room.
$5000 after $400 to have it shipped to my house. Ouch. Laying it myself is saving $2000.
A bit more than I wanted to spend but be glad to get it finally delivered so I can start.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 pm I just paid the bill for a 11 night cruise around the UK, sailing out of Amsterdam.
If its in June, say hi to my parents.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Archinerd wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:50 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:32 pm I just paid the bill for a 11 night cruise around the UK, sailing out of Amsterdam.
If its in June, say hi to my parents.
I'm going in July, so I won't be able to do so, unfortunately.
Hodor.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 pm So many horror stories associated with a lack of a back flow prevention valve. The things I've seen. I hope you get yours installed and it's the last time you ever think about it.
We did not have one in our old house. Along cones hurricane floyd. Flooding stopped about 3 or 4 house down from us. We thoyght we were safe. Then more water and it reaches the front of the house and driveway but still not near the house.
Then we hear water running. Go to the basement and see about 4 or 5 feet of sewer water shooting out the toilet.
Nothing we can do sbout it. About 25 minutes later the national guard pulls up and we are evacuated. I think we spent about a week in a shelter. It took that long for most of the toafs to be travelable. Go bavk to the house and I shit you not, sewer water in the whole basement about 4 or 5 feet deep.
Called FD and they were nice and helped pump out the basement. When it's done, everything is trashed including our boilers and hot water heaters amd worst of all about 40k worth of collectibles.
No coverage for sewer backup. Had no idea that was a thing.
They gave me pity money. Enough to replace the hot water heaters and part of the fuse box(,yes. Fuse box. It was and old house. Still had cloth wrapped electrical wires)
We got lucky though. Replscing 2 boilers for heat was gonna run over 12k for both. Called PSEG explained the situation and they replaced them for free. Mostly because the old ones were oil based and they switched us to natural gas. Probably figured they'd recover their costs and then some over the years. It was nice not having to worry about running out of oil.
Fadt forward to our new house. An unknown oil tank leaked. They had to rip apart a quarter of our basement and then lift amd anchor the house. They agreed to cover a backup prevention valve fir us but only a manual one which means we need to run to the basement and physically turn a lever on the floor. Will be super messy but better then another disaster.