Chicago... nice city you have here

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Chicago... nice city you have here

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:37 am Looks like the victim tried to fight back at one point. These animals are more likely to kill you if you resist.

I'm NOT blaming the victim. I'm just saying your phone and wallet are never worth your life.
When I worked for the Tribune's credit union, we were trained to always obey the demands of criminals. Professional criminals, the theory went, would not harm you if you followed their instructions. Erratic, coked-out amateurs though was something to be feared...there's no telling what they might do.

We were also trained to study faces so we could accurately describe them afterward. The only crime that happened in the 2 years I was there though was an inside job. We suspected who it was, and I devised the plan that caught him red-handed. We had exactly one victim willing to testify -- the others who complained dropped their complaint when they found out who the perp was. I'm not kidding -- this guy had them trying to give him their daughters. It was pretty unbelievable. The whole affair did wind up in court, where we prevailed.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Just comply and you wont be harmed."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:07 pm "Just comply and you wont be harmed."
:music-singing: Billy, don't be a hero...
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:03 pm We were also trained to study faces so we could accurately describe them afterward.
Which makes it easier to get justice, but harder to survive. Going out of your way to not know what they look like (and making it clear that's what you're doing) increases the chances of survival. Studying them - especially maintaining eye contact - can do the opposite.

I've also had a fair amount of hostage training. Those were fun mental exercises. By which I mean that they were not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 pm
I've also had a fair amount of hostage training.
That’s right, you’re married aren’t you.
He won. Period.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:03 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 pm
I've also had a fair amount of hostage training.
That’s right, you’re married aren’t you.
That is definitely not where he got hostage TRAINING.

Marriage is where you can practice what you were trained on, but if you weren't trained, it's not so helpful. No one comes by to tell you what you should have done.
:lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was from my time working in a maximum security prison. But, now that I think about it, it does come in handy in married life...

(Although technically I'm not married. We got together in '95, married in '99, and were divorced in '07. We got back together in '17, but haven't gotten remarried.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got divorced in 2014 for medicaid purposes and it has worked out well for me. I recommend all poor people get divorced. :shifty:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tough on crime.
A mass shooting that left one man dead and four injured in Back of the Yards on Tuesday afternoon is part of a weeks-long gang war fueled by a high-ranking gang member who paid just $1,000 to get out of jail for a felony gun case in March — four days after being released from federal prison, according to Chicago Police Supt. David Brown and court records.

After hearing the allegations, details about the federal case, and that Barron was released on federal parole just four days earlier for shooting into an occupied car and threatening cops with a gun, Judge Maryam Ahmad told Barron he could go home by posting a 10% bail deposit of $1,000.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A $50,000 reward has been offered after four U.S. postal workers have been robbed in the last week.

One of the most recent incidents happened in Lincoln Park.

Police said the letter carrier was on his route in the 2500-block of North Ashland Avenue on Wednesday when he was robbed at gunpoint by two men at around 11:30 a.m.

This has been going on for a while.
CHICAGO (WLS [10/9/2022]) -- Chicago police are warning of an armed robber who is targeting postal carriers.

The person is not taking the mail or packages, but rather their keys!

"It really will impede mail service, because if our carriers are not feeling safe, they're not going to deliver the mail," said Mack Julion, president of the National Association of Letter Carriers Chicago.

It's become a frightening pattern: mail delivery drivers robbed at gunpoint.
The blue drop box on our corner was broken into with the master key. Check washing is apparently a big thing now.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hilarious.

Short version, Green's campaign bus, which got stuck in the mud on election eve, became a joking metaphor for his campaign.

Now, a few days before the runoff where he threw his support behind Vallas, the bus was seen and photographed in an empty parking lot. Green proceeded to blow-up and dox the guy. His overreaction led the guy to do some background and what he found was good old fashioned Chicago political graft.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Appeals court affirms conviction, sentence in Jussie Smollett case
Seeking to overturn a sentence and conviction for falsely reporting a hate crime to Chicago police in January of 2019, attorneys for the former “Empire” actor, alleged a lengthy laundry list of violations in the case handled by special prosecutor Dan Webb after the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office controversially dropped all charges.

In a 2-1 decision, appeals court judges largely rejected the arguments, finding that, among other issues, Cook County prosecutors’ decision to drop charges did not constitute a non-prosecution agreement with Smollett. Justice Freddrenna Lyle, though, dissented, arguing that “Smollett gave up something of value, community service and bond forfeiture, in exchange for a nolle of the whole indictment.”
Smollett’s attorneys had argued that the dropped charges amounted to an agreement between prosecutors and the actor, and that double jeopardy had attached when Smollett forfeited the bail money.
It's almost as if people are the problem.