[Movies] Avengers: Infinity War, Parts I & II [SPOILERS!!!]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: [Movies] Avengers: Infinity War, Parts I & II [SPOILERS!!!]

Post by Paingod »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 am I thought Thanos was a complex character. I agree though that the switch from megalomaniac to tortured savior was pretty quick and could have been done a little better.
Probably not in 2 hours and 40 minutes. That sort of change takes a little longer to sort through.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm
McNutt wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 am I thought Thanos was a complex character. I agree though that the switch from megalomaniac to tortured savior was pretty quick and could have been done a little better.
Probably not in 2 hours and 40 minutes. That sort of change takes a little longer to sort through.
And a lot of therapy.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm curious...
Spoiler:
If the Gauntlet still functions. It looked like it was pretty messed up at the end after granting his one big wish, but his hand still seemed to move in it and he wasn't showing any discomfort.
I've been looking into this online, but maybe someone who knows more than I do about this can answer?
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm I'm curious...
Spoiler:
If the Gauntlet still functions. It looked like it was pretty messed up at the end after granting his one big wish, but his hand still seemed to move in it and he wasn't showing any discomfort.
I've been looking into this online, but maybe someone who knows more than I do about this can answer?
The thing that confused me is that he seemed to show more damage from the "snap" than he did the
Spoiler:
gigantic lightning-spewing Grootaxe to the sternum.
His arm all the way up past his collar was burned and blackened to a crisp, but there was no...other evidence of further injury.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Did Thanos want to do anything with the gauntlet after the snap? It seemed like he was going to sit back and retire. Maybe he'll do it again in a few decades.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 pm Did Thanos want to do anything with the gauntlet after the snap? It seemed like he was going to sit back and retire. Maybe he'll do it again in a few decades.
His stated plan was basically to retire. But like you say, logically he would want to hold onto the gauntlet so that he can periodically snap again whenever needed (assuming that it's not broken).
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought that I read somewhere (here???) that each person can only get one “wish” from the infinity stones?
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:18 am Saw this Saturday, loved it.

It felt really rushed except around the combat, but that rush didn't make me feel like I was missing a lot. More like a sense of urgency.
The CGI needed some help here and there, in particular when they tried to blend human actors and CGI, but was overall good. That's really it for nit-picks, aside from...
Spoiler:
Thanos suddenly "loving" Gomorrah when it became convenient for the plot. Absolutely nothing up until then gave any indication that their relationship was anything other than brutal stepfather and abused step-daughter, unless I missed something.
You missed the reason why Nebula was jealous of Gamora in the first and second Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 amYou missed the reason why Nebula was jealous of Gamora in the first and second Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
I know she was a 'favorite' and always won. I didn't think for a moment it was more than a slave driver's pet kind of thing.
Black Lives Matter

GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm I'm curious...
Spoiler:
This is entirely a cinematic convention.
Spoiler:
In the comics, the gauntlet has never shown damage from any use.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 pm I thought that I read somewhere (here???) that each person can only get one “wish” from the infinity stones?
I don't recall any indication of that from the movies (although maybe I'm forgetting), though maybe that's a thing in the comics.
Black Lives Matter.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:44 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 pm I thought that I read somewhere (here???) that each person can only get one “wish” from the infinity stones?
I don't recall any indication of that from the movies (although maybe I'm forgetting), though maybe that's a thing in the comics.
Nope.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The whole conflict could have been avoided by Thanos deciding to double the number of habitable planets in the universe, stabilize their orbits, and shift half the population from each planet to it's duplicate. What's to fight about then? How much of an inconvenience it is?

He just didn't think big enough.
Black Lives Matter

DD*

Post by DD* »

Paingod wrote:The whole conflict could have been avoided by Thanos deciding to double the number of habitable planets in the universe, stabilize their orbits, and shift half the population from each planet to it's duplicate. What's to fight about then? How much of an inconvenience it is?

Or just double the resources. Or improve efficiency by 100 or 200 percent. Little less drama that way though. :)

What a bunch of geeks we are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am The whole conflict could have been avoided by Thanos deciding to double the number of habitable planets in the universe, stabilize their orbits, and shift half the population from each planet to it's duplicate. What's to fight about then? How much of an inconvenience it is?

It's a lot easier to destroy than create.
Hodor.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am
Paingod wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am The whole conflict could have been avoided by Thanos deciding to double the number of habitable planets in the universe, stabilize their orbits, and shift half the population from each planet to it's duplicate. What's to fight about then? How much of an inconvenience it is?

Yeah, that'd probably take TWO snaps, and who has time for that? :)
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think a lot of critics of the Thanos plan overlook a couple of very important points. One, Thanos is not operating from an 'all life is precious' viewpoint. Cap said we don't trade lives, that's his viewpoint. Thanos does not have one like that. That's why he says something like "Dispassionately, rich and poor" when talking about what he's doing and who'll be affected. No one is special to him, no individual life has equal value to all life. If he was political he'd be one of those people who think the state matters more than that the people. You can kill oodles of people with no hesitation if you don't see life as particularly special.

The other thing is he sees the growth of populations as the problem, the lack of resources is the side effect of that problem. The LAST thing he'd use his power for is to increase resources or habitable planets lol. That would lead to an even bigger increase in population!
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Fireball wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, that'd probably take TWO snaps, and who has time for that? :)
These guys have time for THREE snaps (in Z formation).
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
DD*

Post by DD* »

LOL that was pretty solid :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I took my parents this afternoon to see Infinity War. It was their first time, but the third time the wife and I have seen it in theaters. It gets better every time.

I was surprised at how full the theater was. Middle of the afternoon on a Saturday, two months after it first came out, and the theater was at least half full.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So Ragnarok is on Netflix and we saw it again Saturday night. Seeing how that finished and knowing how Infinity Wars starts is kind of jarring.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

msteelers wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:06 pmI was surprised at how full the theater was. Middle of the afternoon on a Saturday, two months after it first came out, and the theater was at least half full.
It's a good movie, and as long as it keeps making good money, they'll probably keep it in theaters, right?
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Special Edition to feature 30 extra, incorporated minutes, per Jim Starlin:
“Jim Starlin found out that they’re actually going to put it into a special edition Avengers: Infinity War… they weren’t going to be seen as deleted scenes, they’re actually going to be re-integrated into the film,” says Schnepp.

That’s… a pretty big deal. If what Starlin says rings true, we’re getting nearly an extra 25% of Avengers: Infinity War filling out Thanos’ backstory and pretty much turning him into an even more compelling, tragic villain than the one we’ve already seen. Yep, even with the whole Infinity War ending making us want to bawl our eyes out, there’s still a lot more to the Mad Titan’s motivations that we didn’t catch a glimpse of. You can’t see, but I’m throwing money at my screen as we speak.

It’s worth mentioning, though, that there has been no official confirmation from Marvel. But Jim Starlin is unlikely to be pulling this from his you-know-what. I hope.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That’s cool, but I won’t get excited until it is officially announced. Marvel hasn’t done much in the way of special editions, and if any movie needed to be fleshed out in either a special edition or a directors cut it was Age of Ultron.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have read elsewhere that that special edition Thanos stuff isn't happening and has been denied.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

The Reddit subreddit r/thanosdidnothingwrong is going to snap and ban half their members today. Banned members can join r/inthestone. The Thanos actor even recorded a special message for them tweeted by the Avengers director.

Sometimes the internet is pretty cool.

:lol:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fitzy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm The Reddit subreddit r/thanosdidnothingwrong is going to snap and ban half their members today. Banned members can join r/inthestone. The Thanos actor even recorded a special message for them tweeted by the Avengers director.

I have no idea what this means...I assume it means that the subreddit has gotten to large and so they're kicking half of their members off and they have to join another subreddit?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 pm
Fitzy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm The Reddit subreddit r/thanosdidnothingwrong is going to snap and ban half their members today. Banned members can join r/inthestone. The Thanos actor even recorded a special message for them tweeted by the Avengers director.

I have no idea what this means...I assume it means that the subreddit has gotten to large and so they're kicking half of their members off and they have to join another subreddit?
I think it just means they are following Thanos' message - not because they are too big, just because. Basically reddit role playing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I think it just means they are following Thanos' message - not because they are too big, just because. Basically reddit role playing.
Oh. OK. I approve.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Yep, it's being done for the hell of it. They went from something like 20,000 subscribers to 600,000+ in a few weeks. It's greatly amusing and oddly comforting that so many people are excited about joining a forum just to get banned.
DD*

Post by DD* »

FWIW,I watched a number of the “extras” on my copy of Infinity War this weekend. Most were pretty good; the director round table was imho very interesting.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

DD* wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 am FWIW,I watched a number of the “extras” on my copy of Infinity War this weekend. Most were pretty good; the director round table was imho very interesting.
We watched most of the featurettes as well, although we didn't get to the director round table yet. I'm looking forward to that, and listening to the director commentary.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched it again Saturday and one thing still bothers me. If Wong and Strange's ubiquitous teleport spell can easily sever body parts (as shown by Wong in the NY fight), why the fudge aren't they doing that intentionally in their fights with Thanos? Seems kind of a no brainer.
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 am I watched it again Saturday and one thing still bothers me. If Wong and Strange's ubiquitous teleport spell can easily sever body parts (as shown by Wong in the NY fight), why the fudge aren't they doing that intentionally in their fights with Thanos? Seems kind of a no brainer.
Probably degree of power level - severing the arm of a relatively normal bad guy is something of a far cry from whacking off the limb of a guy wielding the Infinity Gauntlet. In the comics, at least, Thanos starts as one of the strongest and most dangerous characters in the Marvel Universe, then he starts collecting the stones. I mean, the guy beat the shit out of the Hulk in about 60 seconds just for giggles - I'm pretty sure he could counteract any attempt at unintended amputation.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, but at the very least they could have avoided lengthy battles with his henchmen. They could have ended that fight in a New York minute if they'd just started severing heads with those portals, which apparently have no power cost or cool down times.

They really need to nerf those two and those limb severing portals for the next movie.

Edit: One other thing that makes me pause is the varying degrees of Thor's powers. One minute he's powerful enough to withstand the heat of a star, the next he's knocked out by an electric net by a bunch of a hold overs from a Mad Max cosplay event.
He won. Period.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:02 pm Yeah, but at the very least they could have avoided lengthy battles with his henchmen. They could have ended that fight in a New York minute if they'd just started severing heads with those portals, which apparently have no power cost or cool down times.

They really need to nerf those two and those limb severing portals for the next movie.

Edit: One other thing that makes me pause is the varying degrees of Thor's powers. One minute he's powerful enough to withstand the heat of a star, the next he's knocked out by an electric net by a bunch of a hold overs from a Mad Max cosplay event.
In between those two events he learned that the hammer was just for focusing his abilities and that he didn't really need it. Kinda important.
DD*

Post by DD* »

GargoyleBoy wrote:
hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:02 pm Yeah, but at the very least they could have avoided lengthy battles with his henchmen. They could have ended that fight in a New York minute if they'd just started severing heads with those portals, which apparently have no power cost or cool down times.

In between those two events he learned that the hammer was just for focusing his abilities and that he didn't really need it. Kinda important.
True. And Thor’s abilities seem fairly well linked to how prepped and emotionally ready he is. His overconfidence is usually his downfall - and that is true to the comic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, the hammer stuff helps make sense of it for me.
He won. Period.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Are you Thor, the God of Hammers?

Best line in the movie.

Plus he levled up un like 5 straight movies so hes totally leet now.