Post by tru1cy »

Guess this what happens when you piss off a Billionaire by outing him

The Verge

Politico has more info
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Blackhawk

Re: Gawker Media files for Bankruptcy

Post by Blackhawk »

You mean the gaming world could lose Kotaku?

Good riddance.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote:You mean the gaming world could lose Kotaku?

Good riddance.
We're supposed to hate Kotaku? Huh, didn't know that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tru1cy wrote:Guess this what happens when you piss off a Billionaire by outing him
I missed that. And even after reading I still have no idea who the guy is or what he was outed for.

Edit: one link deeper and now I know and, meh. I guess if you have billions you have the ability to destroy someones unwanted advances in to your personal life.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Skinypupy wrote:

Good riddance.
Yeah, I've never quite understood the Kotaku disdain that seems to be common among gamers of a certain age. It's not the best games website ever, but there's plenty of good writing there.

Anyway, Gawker is filing for Chapter 11, so it's unlikely that any of their platforms will be going away any time soon.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

LordMortis wrote:
tru1cy wrote:Guess this what happens when you piss off a Billionaire by outing him
I missed that. And even after reading I still have no idea who the guy is or what he was outed for.
Peter Thiel's saga He sought revenge on Gawker for basically outing him in 2006. It was a quiet secret in the tech world, but Gawker outed him nonetheless.

Word was he would seek revenge and he did it by secretly financing Hulk's lawsuit against Gawker
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Good riddance
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I actually like Kotaku. One of the few big ones left still reporting the news.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Vorret wrote:Good riddance
They're not going anywhere. The bankruptcy is just to protect their assets. They're actually going to continue on, business as usual.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:

Good riddance.
Supposed? I have no idea what we're supposed to be doing. I just know what I think. I've found Kotaku to be obnoxious, sensationalist nonsense that stirs up the masses over irrelevant garbage they report as news. They write like an angsty 18-year-old trying to prove he's cool.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
DD*

Post by DD* »

tru1cy wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Peter Thiel's saga He sought revenge on Gawker for basically outing him in 2006. It was a quiet secret in the tech world, but Gawker outed him nonetheless.

Word was he would seek revenge and he did it by secretly financing Hulk's lawsuit against Gawker
Pretty sure the funding was not secret. Outside groups back both defendants and plaintiffs all the time.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It was secret. He admitted it after the trial. There were rumours during the trial, but nothing solid.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Looks like Gawker's assets have been purchased by Ziff Davis, which owns IGN. I would imagine there will be some sort of merger or change to Kotaku and/or IGN. Personally, I'd prefer they nuke Kotaku from orbit. Then do the same with IGN.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm pleased that Hogan isn't going to get the money, even if it hurts the local economy. Maybe he can sleep with Schnitt's wife now. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hogan can get the money, but Gawker continues under new ownership. We'll see if they're better but probably not.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kerblooie
Gawker.com, one of the oldest and highest-profile media and culture blogs, is shutting down next week. The closure of Gawker Media’s flagship blog follows Univision’s acquisition of the company for $135 million at a bankruptcy auction earlier this week.
Business Insider
Univision will still maintain Gawker's other properties, like Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, and so on.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's too bad -- I like Gawker more often than not. Although given its current state, this isn't a huge loss. A lot of their best writers left over the past year (Caity Weaver!), and Jezebel is a better source for snark and social commentary these days.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Now if we could just have the same thing happen to Breitbart.com

Full disclosure, google suckered me into reading another breitbart article this morning. It was unpleasant.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

GreenGoo wrote:Now if we could just have the same thing happen to Breitbart.com

Full disclosure, google suckered me into reading another breitbart article this morning. It was unpleasant.
Breitbart is now playing puppet master to Her Drumpf. There was a journalist tweeting from the rally tonight. Things have gotten weird and scary.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Down goes Gawker!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Deadspin is functionally dead, murdered by the idiot managers put in place by their new private equity owners.

In sum: Deadspin was a successful website. They wrote primarily about sports, but also frequently about politics, culture, and what people stick in their rectums. These non-sports posts generally performed even better than the sports content. Deadspin generated significant advertising revenue and was profitable.

The new managers decided to try to boost revenue by reverting to the annoying web advertising practices of a decade ago: massive numbers of ads on every page, auto-play videos with audio on. They also decided that Deadspin should "stick to sports," despite non-sports posts being a core part of the site's identity and business success.

So late yesterday and this morning, pretty much every writer at Deadspin quit. It's almost impressive how quickly those private equity idiots have managed to set fire to a property they paid tens of millions of dollars for just six months ago.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

They killed off Splinter a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed the political stories and analysis on that site. I noticed a lot of the writers left have changed their avatars to the GMG Union badge out of solidarity.

I hope Drew Magary ends up somewhere soon. I appreciate his irreverence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm I hope Drew Magary ends up somewhere soon. I appreciate his irreverence.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Just the massive balls on ALL the staff involved in walking away from Deadspin. I hope they all find soft landing places soon.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:08 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 pm I hope Drew Magary ends up somewhere soon. I appreciate his irreverence.
and bookmarkded...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Bummer, I enjoyed Deadspin’s snark.

Wonder how long it’ll be before Kotaku meets a similar fate. Some of their JRPG coverage (especially from Fahey) is fantastic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Deadspin was a daily stop for me, even if I found them sometimes too over the top. I think the term "virtue signaling" must have been coined to address some of their coverage. Still, that was their niche and they were good at it. I certainly didn't go there looking for straight sports news. While they were sometimes among the first to break a story, they were more often than not regurgitating a story from somewhere else, but with their own (dead)spin on it. I'll miss it if it turns into just a straight up sports news aggregator without a personality.

BTW, if you enjoy Drew Magary, check out his novel The Hike. It's a tremendous mind fuck.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jag

Post by Jag »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:30 am Deadspin is functionally dead, murdered by the idiot managers put in place by their new private equity owners.

In sum: Deadspin was a successful website. They wrote primarily about sports, but also frequently about politics, culture, and what people stick in their rectums. These non-sports posts generally performed even better than the sports content. Deadspin generated significant advertising revenue and was profitable.

The new managers decided to try to boost revenue by reverting to the annoying web advertising practices of a decade ago: massive numbers of ads on every page, auto-play videos with audio on. They also decided that Deadspin should "stick to sports," despite non-sports posts being a core part of the site's identity and business success.

So late yesterday and this morning, pretty much every writer at Deadspin quit. It's almost impressive how quickly those private equity idiots have managed to set fire to a property they paid tens of millions of dollars for just six months ago.
Been following the drama closely. It's a shame. Seems right out of a certain Succession episode.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 pm Bummer, I enjoyed Deadspin’s snark.

Wonder how long it’ll be before Kotaku meets a similar fate. Some of their JRPG coverage (especially from Fahey) is fantastic.
The Dragon Quest reviews are some of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 am BTW, if you enjoy Drew Magary, check out his novel The Hike. It's a tremendous mind fuck.
Agreed. I was just trying to convince my wife to read it.

Somewhere in there is an allegory or a parable or something but it is quite a ride to get there.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

While Deadspin's corporate overlords try to revive the site, many of the old Deadspinners are temporarily back together at Unnamed Temporary Sports Blog.
What is the Unnamed Temporary Sports Blog?

It’s a blog! Temporarily! Over the course of the next three days, Jan. 31 through Feb. 2, we will be publishing blogs for your reading pleasure. At the conclusion of this three-day period, we will vanish.
Magary, Lauren Theisen, Burneko, Barry Petchesky, and more.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Unnamed Temporary Sports Blog is back, temporarily.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The old Deadspin staff have a new, permanent home.
Now Deadspin’s former writers and editors — 18 of the roughly 20 who quit last year — have reunited to start a digital media company, Defector Media, that they will own and operate themselves.

Defector Media is scheduled to start a podcast next month and roll out its website in September, its founders said.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Defector is now live, with a new edition of a Deadspin recurring feature:

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

G/O Media, the folks what bought Gawker and killed Deadspin, are now working on killing the AV Club.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 pm G/O Media, the folks what bought Gawker and killed Deadspin, are now working on killing the AV Club.

Nothing lasts forever.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Damn, I love the AV Club - some of the best TV reviews anywhere (and even better comment sections). With some TV shows, I think I spent more time reading reviews and comments than I did watching the actual show.