Starting WoW in 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Vorret

Re: Starting WoW in 2016

Post by Vorret »

Wow, I thought I'd get the itch back reading the thread but nope, I guess I'm officially burned out of WoW, took what... 11-12 years.

I huntered my way through pretty much all of WoW , raid starting in vanilla up to WoD and to me it's the best class in WoW.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really have the itch from this thread, I just don't think I can play again after my last attempt triggered some sort of PTSD-type response.

I'm still tempted, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I keep feeling the pull too, but I decided my replay of Witcher 3 on "Death March" is satisfying my slaughtering needs.

My 10 year old has expressed interest and I am tempted to let him try it. I guess there's no harm in letting him play the trial. What are the odds he makes it to 20?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I stepped away for a few years but I resubbed when WoD came out and I've been happily hooked ever since.

I'm really starting to run out of things to do during the content drought. I've been collecting mounts but I'm now at the point the only ones left have super low drop-rates.

My only remaining goal is to keep the Garrison money machine running long enough to hit 1,000,000 gold before they up the cap. I'm at ~980,000 now and can make 10K a day without trying hard so it's just a matter of cycling through my stable of 11 level 100s a few more times.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

coopasonic wrote:I keep feeling the pull too, but I decided my replay of Witcher 3 on "Death March" is satisfying my slaughtering needs.

My 10 year old has expressed interest and I am tempted to let him try it. I guess there's no harm in letting him play the trial. What are the odds he makes it to 20?
I made it in two(maybe 3) evenings I think when I came back?

I'm by no means hardcore in my play time either.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote:I stepped away for a few years but I resubbed when WoD came out and I've been happily hooked ever since.

I'm really starting to run out of things to do during the content drought. I've been collecting mounts but I'm now at the point the only ones left have super low drop-rates.

My only remaining goal is to keep the Garrison money machine running long enough to hit 1,000,000 gold before they up the cap. I'm at ~980,000 now and can make 10K a day without trying hard so it's just a matter of cycling through my stable of 11 level 100s a few more times.
Nice. I'm hovering around 700k gold and probably won't go much higher than that before Legion.

Skinnypuppy, If you want to change servers, I still have the guild that morphed-morphed-morphed from the original Alliance guild on Whisperwind. We don't have many players, but it's a good place to hang out. Plus I can hook you up with some decent starting cash, bags, and even an heirloom.

You aren't too high yet, that you can switch over and only losing maybe 1/2 hour of time which would be worth it by rolling in gold. :D
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:Skinnypuppy, If you want to change servers, I still have the guild that morphed-morphed-morphed from the original Alliance guild on Whisperwind. We don't have many players, but it's a good place to hang out. Plus I can hook you up with some decent starting cash, bags, and even an heirloom.
Oh hey that's where my guys live. My 10 alts ( :oops: ) are mostly in my own guild but my main is currently part of a Very Large Guild that advertises in trade constantly.

What's the name of the guild again? It would be nice to be in a guild that's not filled with hundreds of total strangers.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Exodor wrote: My only remaining goal is to keep the Garrison money machine running long enough to hit 1,000,000 gold before they up the cap. I'm at ~980,000 now and can make 10K a day without trying hard so it's just a matter of cycling through my stable of 11 level 100s a few more times.
I bought WoW tokens to cover my subscription until next year, that took a lot of gold. I'm glad I did it a couple months back, though, the price of the token has only been going up since then.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote:
Jag wrote:Skinnypuppy, If you want to change servers, I still have the guild that morphed-morphed-morphed from the original Alliance guild on Whisperwind. We don't have many players, but it's a good place to hang out. Plus I can hook you up with some decent starting cash, bags, and even an heirloom.
Oh hey that's where my guys live. My 10 alts ( :oops: ) are mostly in my own guild but my main is currently part of a Very Large Guild that advertises in trade constantly.

What's the name of the guild again? It would be nice to be in a guild that's not filled with hundreds of total strangers.
You're in Mature Content? :D

The guild is Exile. It was Almost Heroes that merged with another one, which name I forget, then with Eternal Legacy, then to Exile.

You (and any other OOer) are more than welcome to bring anyone in.

Btag Jag#1723
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You aren't too high yet, that you can switch over and only losing maybe 1/2 hour of time which would be worth it by rolling in gold. :D
I think I'll take you up on that. Will roll a new toon tonight and run through the first 10 hunter levels with yet another race. :)

Um, how do I get connected with you? I'm Skinypupy#1508, if that helps...not sure how the locator system works in this game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Welp, time for a new goal

This is a pretty typical day if I do Garrison missions - and actually I only checked this evening. I can do better if I start missions in the morning and the evening:

Oh and I spent 1200 on a mount today, too. :mrgreen:

Gonna miss my Garrison Money Machine when 7.0 hits. :|
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Stupid question (as I just got back into the game, and never developed my garrison very extensively) - how are you making that money Exodor? When you say missions, are you talking follower missions? Some kind of dailies?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Nope, not going to do it :naughty:
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote:
Um, how do I get connected with you? I'm Skinypupy#1508, if that helps...not sure how the locator system works in this game.
You can do it through the battle.net desktop app. I sent you a friend request, so you should see that pop up under Friends or a little symbol of a person.

In game, the top left of the chat bar also has a little person symbol. You can click that for the friend list.
Exodor wrote:Oh and I spent 1200 on a mount today, too. :mrgreen:

Gonna miss my Garrison Money Machine when 7.0 hits. :|
1200? I spent 120,000 on the transmog Yak! :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

tru1cy wrote:Nope, not going to do it :naughty:
Wouldn't be prudent. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Baroquen wrote:Stupid question (as I just got back into the game, and never developed my garrison very extensively) - how are you making that money Exodor? When you say missions, are you talking follower missions? Some kind of dailies?
(I think you know most of what I wrote below but I wrote it so it would make sense to new players)

One of the main features in Warlords of Draenor is the Garrison - sort of an instanced "home" for each player. In that garrison there's a Mission Table where you can send followers on missions for various rewards. Most missions reward XP for those followers (useless to me since they're all capped) but some reward gold.

It plays a lot like a Facebook game - click, wait X hours, click for reward.

Each of my characters has a number of followers that double mission gold rewards. Running missions twice a day on 11 characters is what has brought me most of that gold - and that's the total AFTER buying every Trading Card mount I can find on the Auction House and almost every mount that's sold for gold (I'm picking up the 100,000 gold motorcycle today).

In Legion there's a Spider mount that currently goes for 2,000,000 gold so I think Blizzard realizes they goofed and are now trying to remove some gold from the economy.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I ended up getting the basics. Controls and interface are tough to get a handle on.
Anyrate after leaving a game but not battlenet I went away for awhile. When I came back it said I was logged of as my account had been logged in somewhere else.
Is this something I should worry about?
I did change my password immediately. Hope I can remember it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote:When I came back it said I was logged of as my account had been logged in somewhere else.
Is this something I should worry about?
I did change my password immediately. Hope I can remember it.
Did it specifically say logged in elsewhere? WoW normally logs you off if you have been AFK a set period of time.

I do know that there used to be an issue about getting this message when trying to log in shortly after logging off.

In any case, get the authenticator.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played a bit more today. To be honest, I'm finding WoW mildly interesting, but I certainly don't love it. Before you say "your're still doing starter quests", I should add I don't have any issue with low level fetch or fed-ex quests as long as there's an interesting story or reason behind them. In fact, the early game - learning new systems, exploring new worlds, learning the story, etc. - is typically one of my favorite times in an MMO. Both ESO and FFXIV excelled at making even the mundane seem engaging and GW2 absolutely nailed the thrill of exploring, but WoW questing and exploration is just flat-out boring. Maybe I'm just not feeling the dwarven zone (aesthetically, it's really pretty dull), maybe the story is just blah, whatever the reason it hasn't really clicked with me at all so far.

Doesn't help that there have been multiple times when finding the questgiver or turn-in was really difficult and frustrating (in the basement, on the roof, etc.). I've also run into what I assume is a bug where I get a quest, but it doesn't give me any indication of where to find it. Three times now, I've had to resort to watching a Youtube clip to see where I'm supposed to go. It's also really strange to me that events or questlines just...end. I did a series of quests where I fought off a dark dwarf invasion, found their leader, brought him to the queen (?), she said "send him to the dungeon", then...nothing. I had to hunt around to even find another quest, which seems to be entirely unrelated to what I finished doing. It all just seems incredibly disjointed, like I'm missing a key piece somewhere. Maybe I am...who knows.

Maybe I'll try yet another race and see if it clicks a little better or is more interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Suggestion: try a Goblin. They had, in my opinion, the best starting areas in the game. If not that, maybe a Pandaren.

And just a personal prejudice, but I always felt the writing for the Horde was better than for the Alliance. The Horde has personality, and you could tell that the writers were really getting into their culture. For the Alliance they just fell back on fantasy tropes.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yep Horde side has better immersion. Also pick up Tour add on if quest turn ins are a problem. Nearly anything annoying about WoW has been solved with an add on.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks, will give those a look. I also wonder if I need to switch class as well. I almost always play the most solo-friendly class in MMO (which seems to be Hunter) and tend to prefer the archer types, but I'm not really liking the pet-based system of the Hunter. The whole gotta catch em all aspect of taming new pets doesn't appeal to me in the least. Plus, I'd be playing the first 10 levels again with that class for a fifth time, which makes me inwardly groan a bit. :)

I actually think a Warrior and Paladin look cool,but I don't really want to play a tank. Are they viable as a DPS option, mostly for PvE? If not, I may give Rogue a shot.

I do feel a little guilty switching, as Jag generously gave me a number of gifts. (Or maybe it was pocket change for a high level player...I have no basis for comparison. :)). Happy to send the gold back if it would be considered rude to keep it on a toon I probably won't use.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Absolutely anything is solo-friendly in WoW for standard world-PvE content. If you're talking about soloing dungeon and raid content, then it sometimes changes between patches, but hunter, paladin, and death knight are standards, with druid, shaman, and warlock rotating in and out depending on the patch.

Note that these are all classes with some form of self healing (or pet classes with pet healing.)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Unless you hate yourself, don't take a mage, just sayin (owner of a Mage since 2005).
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:Unless you hate yourself, don't take a mage, just sayin (owner of a Mage since 2005).
I dunno, frost mages were pretty much untouchable for a while there in Burning Crusade.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:
Lorini wrote:Unless you hate yourself, don't take a mage, just sayin (owner of a Mage since 2005).
I dunno, frost mages were pretty much untouchable for a while there in Burning Crusade.
I have a frost mage and trust me, they are a shadow of what they used to be. Blizz streamlined the skills and that pulled the frost mages fangs in a big way. You can solo with them but its a lot more work than most other classes.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote:I actually think a Warrior and Paladin look cool,but I don't really want to play a tank. Are they viable as a DPS option, mostly for PvE? If not, I may give Rogue a shot.
With the caveat that I never got either my Pally or Warrior toons leveled very high, I will say that both were beasts while leveling. I ended up mostly tanking with my Pally (who still generally out DPS'd everyone in the instances). Warriors are great at DPS (or at least, they were - haven't played in a long time). I picked up some self-healing and would just burn through the mobs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I have 2 rogues, and they are both squishy as hell :) I tried out different specs but eventually they both ended up as Combat. Also have 2 mages that both ended up Frost this expac (I used to like arcane more but they keep nerfing arcane abilities, plus I couldn't survive as arcane going into this expac, so I switched). Never figured out how to play Fire properly.

DK and bear druid are my go-to for soloing content. Also - warlock, since massive self-heals and a tank-like pet actually makes them better than hunters for some stuff (also, warlock pets seem to be immune to some types of attacks that demolish hunter pets, I have a lot more trouble keeping my hunter pet alive than my voidwalker).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think I spend half my time in the cities; either trying to find a merchant or a quest completer or trying to figure how in the hell to get out.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Don't forget, Paladins can melee DPS, tank and heal. If you want options a Paladin can do a lot.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daveman wrote:Don't forget, Paladins can melee DPS, tank and heal. If you want options a Paladin can do a lot.
Same thing is true of druids. Depending on how you spec, a druid is a healer, a rogue, a warrior, or a DPS caster, and can switch back and fort.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw Blackhawk's name on the chat thing down there. Haven't a clue how to use it. Anyrate I go under the name "Hogeye".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote:Saw Blackhawk's name on the chat thing down there. Haven't a clue how to use it. Anyrate I go under the name "Hogeye".
That's odd. I haven't had WoW installed in a while. I was on battle.net earlier for some Overwatch, but I don't have you on battle.net. It may have been a different Blackhawk, as I think I only used that for one character ever, a priest in the OO guild way back in the Cataclysm days. He's been at level 40 and parked in Dalaran for years.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

With the caveat I have not played Warlords (stopped after Panda land)...

Have to put a plug in for feral cat druids as a great solo class. Good for killing, you'll recharge your mana while fighting, so you can nearly insta-heal between fights (very minimal downtime between fights - maybe not always the quickest killer, but quite possibly the least downtime needed between fights) as needed and can go bear form if you get in over your head a little (too much and you just run... but that's what the speed burst ability and quick travel forms are for).

Plus a swimming form for when that's needed. Plus instant flight form (this cannot be overstated as a handy and useful ability). Plus a quick travel land form. Shapeshifting is just plain fun. :) (though it does make the cool looking gear largely a moot point).

Started messing with feral in Vanilla and raided as bear in BC and WotLK. Didn't seriously raid after that but always leveled my druid (went cat (melee dps)/bear (tank)). Only other characters I leveled to max usually were my other druid (healer/dps caster) and my Death Knight (also a fun class to play, but used to at least, require a few more buttons/little more skill to play well).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Blackhawk wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Saw Blackhawk's name on the chat thing down there. Haven't a clue how to use it. Anyrate I go under the name "Hogeye".
That's odd. I haven't had WoW installed in a while. I was on battle.net earlier for some Overwatch, but I don't have you on battle.net. It may have been a different Blackhawk, as I think I only used that for one character ever, a priest in the OO guild way back in the Cataclysm days. He's been at level 40 and parked in Dalaran for years.
I wouldn't have noticed it but it lit up special like it knew me or something.

I've had two invites to join guilds but I don't want to until I've learned the game better.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

dbt1949 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
I wouldn't have noticed it but it lit up special like it knew me or something.

I've had two invites to join guilds but I don't want to until I've learned the game better.
Dont worry about learning the game so much before you join a guild. Learn about the guilds and which one you want to join. There are several benefits from joining a guild that will help you in the game.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

After Warlords of Draenor was released, I created a new Tauron Druid and made it an Herbalist (because Taurons can gather herbs faster than other races and also because druids can gather herbs in flight form without dismounting) and an Inscriptionist (it could just as well have been Alchemist) because that profession goes well with Herbalism. It didn't take long to level my new druid to 90 and it wasn't long before I had unlocked flying In Draenor. Due to a druid's ability to shapeshift, playing a druid is like playing several classes with the same character--Rogue, Tank, Healer, Ranged damage dealer.

If you have a low level toon you want to use your level 90 character boost on, I suggest you wait until level 60 to do so. That is because: "If the character is at least level 60 before the boost, their primary professions and First Aid will be leveled up to rank 600. Other secondary professions will not be affected. If the character is at least level 60 and doesn't have primary professions, they'll be given class-appropriate professions according to the table on the right." And don't bother with flight training upon reaching level 60 because: "After completing the introductory questline, boosted characters will receive all riding skills up to Artisan (up to 280% flying speed) and all regional riding skills up to Pandaria (Cold Weather Flying, Flight Master's License, etc.)."
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Greybriar wrote:I created a new Tauron Druid and made it an Herbalist (because Taurons can gather herbs faster than other races and also because druids can gather herbs in flight form without dismounting)
Which is absolutely insane. I've pissed people off by clearing entire areas before the respawn could kick in. See an herb, dive, .5 seconds later you're flying again and the herb is safely in your inventory.

My main was a Tauren druid for a long time. I loved being shifted, running low on health, hitting Thunderstomp (stuns nearby mobs), then an instant heal-over-time, then being back in cat form before they came unstunned with my health back. The whole process took less than two seconds and made me very hard to kill.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Whelp, apparently my tolerance for WoW is right at about 15 levels. I took another toon up to 15 yesterday (now my 5th with different races and classes), and simply came away, well, bored. I mostly just find that whenever I fired up WoW, it really made me want to play something else that has improved on its original formula. That's not a knock against WoW, mind you, it's more just an indication of how the genre has evolved over the years. I also find that despite what I try and tell myself, I'm still kind of a graphics whore. :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice, and happy questing. I'll be over in ESO for a while, at least until the next FFXIV patch hits. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was sitting there on one of the zeppelins wondering if I could jump or fall off one when all of a sudden some guy on a horse seemed to fall off. I hope he could turn into a flyer on the way down or else his cold dead body is laying down there or the grassy fields of Mulgore (or whatever it's called).
Saw Blackhawk again. They made a big deal of it by highlighting it in black and white. I was lost in the Barrens somewhere.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949