Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by El Guapo »

stimpy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:58 am I was on what was either a second or third a date with a girl when she asked why I never opened the sunroof in my car.
I stated it was to prevent being snatched by a pterodactyl.
I think that was our last date.......
Bet she regrets that now! Or she would, if she hadn't subsequently been snatched out through a car's sunroof by a pterodactyl.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jokes on you, pal. It was a quetzalcoatl.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am Jokes on you, pal. It was a quetzalcoatl.
Indeed, and because some think Quetzalcoatl was just Jesus visiting the ancient Toltecs perhaps it was a test of his rapture beam? An open sunroof might prove to be too tempting a target.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:16 am And yet nobody is talking about Llamageddon, despite it streaming on Prime Video.

At the end of that trailer is a crazy looking guy in a Llama suit. I would say it was a spitting image.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

No one is going to pull the wool over his eyes!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks Llame.
Covfefe!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

REJOICE!!!

"‘The Tomorrow War 2’: Amazon & Skydance Already In Talks For Sequel Reteaming With Chris Pratt, Director Chris McKay & More"

https://deadline.com/2021/07/chris-prat ... 234788748/

:dance:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So many questions will finally be answered!
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Watched it yesterday, did not find it as horrible as some. Wife was often confused, but the only thing that I found odd was
Spoiler:
Chris Pratt's character did not seem to realize that his purpose of bringing the toxin back was to prevent the war, not to produce more and bring it to the future.
Also, could this be the first thing JK Simmons did that didn't get universal praise here?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:00 pm Watched it yesterday, did not find it as horrible as some. Wife was often confused, but the only thing that I found odd was
Spoiler:
Chris Pratt's character did not seem to realize that his purpose of bringing the toxin back was to prevent the war, not to produce more and bring it to the future.
Also, could this be the first thing JK Simmons did that didn't get universal praise here?
He came across better in the animated version.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He`s going for a callback, people. RUN!
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:00 pm Watched it yesterday, did not find it as horrible as some. Wife was often confused, but the only thing that I found odd was
Spoiler:
That's not my understanding of your spoiler. I thought it was
Spoiler:
clear that killing the aliens in the past was not an option. One of the dumb plot points was everyone assumed the aliens 'arrived' in a certain future year. No one that I recall ever mentioned building defenses in the past much less using the toxin on the aliens when they arrive. Here's what I thought the plan was: At first bring troops from the past into the future because it was thought the fight could still be won with military combat. Next, the future people realized it was a doomed fight, but they had Plan B, the toxin. They needed time to develop the toxin. To this end they continued to bring people into the future and had them fight the aliens. This fighting was not to win, it was to buy time. That's why so many were slaughtered and that's why the future people didn't care about the past people they were sending to die. If the toxin was developed in time, the toxin gets sent back because in the past they can manufacture it on an extremely large scale. Then it would go back to the future and be used there, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. The portal unexpectedly closed, that's the only reason Pratt's character has to use it in the past.
The movie is really dumb. But I think if your tolerance for dumb movies is high then this movie is otherwise entertaining. For comparison, a movie of this type that I'd consider to be a smart example is Edge of Tomorrow. All the core elements needed for a good sci-fi action movie are in Tomorrow War, it's just that in almost every part of the movie they opted for the dumb way to write the story. I'm sure it was easier and allowed for a quicker production schedule but it resulted in something that feels like a sci-fi Army of the Dead kinda movie.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gameoverman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 pm I thought it was
Spoiler:
clear that killing the aliens in the past was not an option. One of the dumb plot points was everyone assumed the aliens 'arrived' in a certain future year. No one that I recall ever mentioned building defenses in the past much less using the toxin on the aliens when they arrive. Here's what I thought the plan was: At first bring troops from the past into the future because it was thought the fight could still be won with military combat. Next, the future people realized it was a doomed fight, but they had Plan B, the toxin. They needed time to develop the toxin. To this end they continued to bring people into the future and had them fight the aliens. This fighting was not to win, it was to buy time. That's why so many were slaughtered and that's why the future people didn't care about the past people they were sending to die. If the toxin was developed in time, the toxin gets sent back because in the past they can manufacture it on an extremely large scale. Then it would go back to the future and be used there, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. The portal unexpectedly closed, that's the only reason Pratt's character has to use it in the past.
Spoiler:
Do we really need spoilers at this point? Anyway...

The original plan for the toxin was laid out by Muri (the explanation starts at 1h:24m). She explicitly tells her father that his job is to take the toxin back to his time, have it mass produced and use it to stop the war from ever happening (i.e. use it to destroy the aliens when they arrive/emerge, before they can overrun the world). He pushes back on that, saying that he will take it back, have it produced and but then will bring it back to save her -- she seems unconvinced. Then everything falls apart when the aliens swarm the base. Whether or not his version of the plan would have been possible becomes moot once the jumplink is destroyed.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Having just finished the first season of Westworld on HBO Max, I got a hankering to see the movie again -- I saw it once decades ago and only remember Yul Brenner and robot cowboys. Turns out one can stream it on Prime for $4. I'm looking forward to being disappointed by it tomorrow night. :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

We watched The Tomorrow War tonight and boy what an absolute stinker. I knew that going in but the wife insisted. And she told me at the end she regretted not listening. We could have rented Black Widow instead. Haha. Anyway there were so many moments where as people mentioned it was 100% rip off. It also features so many moments where the plotting/character decisions made *NO SENSE* whatsoever.
Spoiler:
The least sense is he shows up back in the past with the toxin. And what? He just leaves with it? No one debriefs him?

"Hey serious government types I have a toxin which will 100% kill them. It was developed in the future and conveniently was developed minutes before I was sent back. We got super lucky. Guess we should take advantage of that. No? Oh we don't know where to use it? Well...even if we don't figure out where they land all we have to do is wait for them to appear where we know they first show up in Russia and hit them with this toxin which again is 100% effective. It literally melts them. That seems like a pretty good plan, right? No, huh. Who'd have thought. So you just want me to go home and you'll announce to the world the future is hopeless? Ok, I mean why? I have the solution right here in my hand. Ok, I guess I'll just take it with me to my new friend who just happens to have a biomedical R&D lab and we'll just take care of it ourselves. Is that cool? Oh you stopped listening. You guys are fucking weird."
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:39 pm
gameoverman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 pm I thought it was
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Do we really need spoilers at this point? Anyway...

The original plan for the toxin was laid out by Muri (the explanation starts at 1h:24m). She explicitly tells her father that his job is to take the toxin back to his time, have it mass produced and use it to stop the war from ever happening (i.e. use it to destroy the aliens when they arrive/emerge, before they can overrun the world). He pushes back on that, saying that he will take it back, have it produced and but then will bring it back to save her -- she seems unconvinced. Then everything falls apart when the aliens swarm the base. Whether or not his version of the plan would have been possible becomes moot once the jumplink is destroyed.
That kind of thing is where this movie is so dumb. If that was the plan,
Spoiler:
then those people who first showed up on the soccer field probably should have made it clear that part of the duties of today's world is preparing for that day. Instead all they said was people needed to go into the future to help fight there. The entire first part of the movie is about the future war. It might have helped morale if people knew there were things they could do in the present that would help. The other reason it doesn't make sense to me is that the future people say that a loss, in the future, means the end of humanity. But if it's possible to bring something back in time to prevent the future war then that's not true. Then we start getting into paradoxes. If you prevent a future war from happening only because the future war caused people in the future to go back in time, doesn't that mean there is no reason for future people to go back in time to stop the war? If no one goes back in time to stop the war then doesn't that mean the war still happens? I think multiple timelines are involved, it's the only way it can make sense.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:47 pm Having just finished the first season of Westworld on HBO Max, I got a hankering to see the movie again -- I saw it once decades ago and only remember Yul Brenner and robot cowboys. Turns out one can stream it on Prime for $4. I'm looking forward to being disappointed by it tomorrow night. :)
So even though we're in the Amazon thread I'll let you know that HBO Max also has the original Westworld in all its 70s glory for you to stream.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks, you saved me 4 bucks. When I googled "stream westworld movie" the top result was Prime, and the top few hits for HBO were the series. Gonna watch it tonight -- on HBO.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:57 pm Thanks, you saved me 4 bucks. When I googled "stream westworld movie" the top result was Prime, and the top few hits for HBO were the series. Gonna watch it tonight -- on HBO.
You’re welcome! I don’t know how well it holds up but free (well minus subscription costs of course) is nice.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:10 pm Jolt

I like the premise. It's like Atomic Blond, only Kate Beckinsale > Charlize Theron. And she is always good for a jolt.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've read some great reviews for Val. I'm curious to see how he covers his notoriously difficult reputation.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The trailer seems like we're just watching someone else's home movies. I honestly can't imagine that being something I'd enjoy, even if I am a fan of his.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's actually the selling point for me. Much better than watching poorly cast reenactments, or just listening to someone narrating an anecdote.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm trying to figure out the cryptic clue here . . . .

That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oooh, that could be a good one. It was one of my favorite Gaiman books.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Season 3 of Hanna is out now. 6 episodes to wrap up the story.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

As with Wheel of Time this one is getting pretty slow. Plus she's pretty much grown up. I preferred the killer child.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I watched the first episode, didn't knock my socks off but I will watch the rest.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Major plot hole in Hanna episode 5:
Spoiler:
"Sandy" stalked Ethan to kill him (even killed his wife to track him down), but when she overpowers him she just ties him up and leaves.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:15 pm Oooh, that could be a good one. It was one of my favorite Gaiman books.
Mine too - I think his best work is based in other mythos, where he can tweak and play what if? games, etc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Most of his stuff I'm rather ambivalent...but when he reads the audiobook version, it's amazing, regardless of the quality of the story. His voice is a modern day Vincent Price. I'm too lazy too look up the name of the book he did fairly recently, that's somewhat of an autobiography, but he talks about reading to his kids and raising them to be verbal readers as well. I've taken that to heart and have been doing so with my kids.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Actually looks fun.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He looks too tall.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:47 pm

Actually looks fun.
He looks exactly like Tom Cruise!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wait... you mean Jack Reacher isn't five and a half feet tall?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

That looks really good.