Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:26 am At no point in that article do I see any mention of muscle vans with wizards painted on the side. :hand:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:26 am At no point in that article do I see any mention of muscle vans with wizards painted on the side. :hand:
Dude, this is a prequel. This is the generation where they grow their hair out, run naked through the woods, and smoke mushrooms and eat random plants (or it might be the other way around).

It's their kids that sit around in basement and drive cool vans.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Started Reacher last night and I've almost finished it. A nice treat for fans of the books.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:49 pm Started Reacher last night and I've almost finished it. A nice treat for fans of the books.
My wife and I have been watching it and enjoyed it. I don't think it's fantastic but it's solidly good. There are moments of humor and some good action. The characters are all likable and well written. The only issue was that we both knew the main character from somewhere else but couldn't place it. For a few minutes I thought it was the actor who played Luther in The Umbrella Academy but that didn't seem quite right. Last night we figured it out.
Spoiler:
Thad Castle, Blue Mountain State
For some reason that made the show even more enjoyable for us.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

One thing about reacher is that it is very faithful to the first book, but it's still a first book.

It will be very interesting to see if they do book 2 for season 2 (given that it has definite relevancy to current political debates). I really hope they do.
Spoiler:
Book 2 is all about Reacher vs a Local Militia Group bent on disrupting the US Gov't
Last edited by Pyperkub on Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do the books do a better job with his sudden discoveries of clues? The way it's done in the show is pretty ridiculous at times. The
Spoiler:
"I bet my brother hid clues in his garment bag!" and "I bet your mentor hid clues inside a gun case fake cover!".
just made me roll my eyes so hard they almost popped out of my head. It was like a dumbed down Encyclopedia Brown mystery at times.

But the actor is so much damn fun in that role that I let it slide and just had fun with it.
He won. Period.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:10 pm Do the books do a better job with his sudden discoveries of clues? The way it's done in the show is pretty ridiculous at times. The
Spoiler:
"I bet my brother hid clues in his garment bag!" and "I bet your mentor hid clues inside a gun case fake cover!".
just made me roll my eyes so hard they almost popped out of my head. It was like a dumbed down Encyclopedia Brown mystery at times.

But the actor is so much damn fun in that role that I let it slide and just had fun with it.
It's been a long while since I read The Killing Floor but the general sense in the books is that Reacher has a very methodological chain of logic in his head that gets him to those clues. They demonstrate it in the show a couple of times to try to establish it but you have to jump from there to knowing that that's always how his head works. Like I said, I don't remember if the first book handled those particular instances less clumsily but chains of deduction are Reacher's Sherlock power.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Gryndyl wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:10 pm Do the books do a better job with his sudden discoveries of clues? The way it's done in the show is pretty ridiculous at times. The
Spoiler:

It's been a long while since I read The Killing Floor but the general sense in the books is that Reacher has a very methodological chain of logic in his head that gets him to those clues. They demonstrate it in the show a couple of times to try to establish it but you have to jump from there to knowing that that's always how his head works. Like I said, I don't remember if the first book handled those particular instances less clumsily but chains of deduction are Reacher's Sherlock power.
Also something to keep in mind - The Killing Floor and most other early Reacher books are all written in first-person from Reacher's point of view. So he is letting you in on his thought process, and they can't really show it as much on screen.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait a minute. Theres a Jack Reacher series? Like the movies based on books but not Tom Cruise?...Interesting. Ive never watched a Reacher movie. May need to.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:04 pm Wait a minute. Theres a Jack Reacher series? Like the movies based on books but not Tom Cruise?...Interesting. Ive never watched a Reacher movie. May need to.
Definitely not Tom Cruise! Looks like Reacher!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:04 pm Wait a minute. Theres a Jack Reacher series? Like the movies based on books but not Tom Cruise?...Interesting. Ive never watched a Reacher movie. May need to.
No, Bob Reacher. He’s an accountant/sous chef who does crossword puzzles while the audience watches.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:33 pm
No, Bob Reacher. He’s an accountant/sous chef who does crossword puzzles while the audience watches.
But is his gravy consistent?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s Amazon Prime, for chrissakes, not skinemax!
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if already posted, but there’s a new Charlie Day movie (rom/com) on Prime, and Rotten Tomatoes is impressed! 88% Rotten Tomatoes, which for those of you not in the know, means that it’s a better movie than every other rom-com that scored lower than that. :p

I Want You Back
https://www.amazon.com/Want-You-Back-CH ... B09NMYQKBJ
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m 23 minutes into it, and nary a laugh, not even a chuckle.

You might have failed me this time, RT, unless things REALLY turn around quick.

This is no Palm Springs.

Edit: it did improve dramatically, and I LOL’d quite a bit. Still no Palm Springs.

It’s pretty decent (88% though?! Nay) and very watchable if you can get past the first 25m, but this is “movie” Charlie Day, not “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” Charlie Day. Meaning he’s half, or less as funny as he is in the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

IMDB gives it a 6.7. Why didn’t you use that rating system? Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t really give you a view of how good a movie is, it just gives you an aggregate score of how many people liked a film. Also, a tomato is really a fruit. Do you trust something that so blatantly misrepresents itself?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Like your new logo?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Zarathud »

Trust but verify the hepcat. Preferably by light squeezing.

His media recommendations are pretty good, or hilariously wrong. Like the team of Rat Pfink a Boo Boo. Or the girl controlling a demon in Psycho foreman.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:32 am Like your new logo?
I spent years trying to get certified fresh. Don't you dare try to minimize my efforts!
Zarathud wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:33 am
His media recommendations are pretty good, or hilariously wrong. Like the team of Rat Pfink a Boo Boo. Or the girl controlling a demon in Psycho foreman.
Rat Pfink a Boo Boo is legendary. Look it up, folks.

Psycho Goreman is pure distilled fun for people who love the Evil Dead films.

I stand by both recommendations...well, the first one because it's so goddamn hilariously bad.
Lonnie Lord (Vin Saxon) loves two things: rock 'n' roll and his girlfriend, Cee Bee Beaumont (Carolyn Brandt). When Cee Bee is kidnapped by a gang of thugs and held for ransom, Lonnie teams up with his gardener, Titus (Titus Moede), to get her back. After transforming into the crime-fighting duo of Rat Pfink and Boo Boo, Lonnie and Titus head out in search of the kidnappers, but they find their search complicated by a gorilla that's just escaped from the circus.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I really like the cast of the Reacher series, and the dude that played Reacher is spot-on. However, a whole season to play out one book? If they don't do 3 seasons per year, Reacher is gonna be geriatric well before they run out of stories. Rather than doing a deep dive on the books, I think discrete episodes would have been a better use of the IP.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Although, I guess, some of the books have a smooth enough segue where two could comprise a season, if the season has to be a paltry 8 episodes.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Oh, it’s fun. But nothing I can watch with the wife and kids. Although my youngest would completely be the girl in Psycho Goreman.

My pitch to the wife about seeing Brendan Fraser in Doom Patrol hit a brick wall when he’s a jackass race car driver banging a gal full front nudity within the first 10 minutes. Sigh, and she likes Alan Tudyk too.

I’m trying to get my oldest daughter to watch Space Ghost. Partly because it’s so strange, partly because we have to work our way into Harvey Birdman.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Zarathud wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:22 pm My pitch to the wife about seeing Brendan Fraser in Doom Patrol hit a brick wall when he’s a jackass race car driver banging a gal full front nudity within the first 10 minutes.
Weren’t you warned about marrying Amish?
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:57 pm
Spoiler:
Zarathud wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:22 pm My pitch to the wife about seeing Brendan Fraser in Doom Patrol hit a brick wall when he’s a jackass race car driver banging a gal full front nudity within the first 10 minutes.
Weren’t you warned about marrying Amish?
And Man, they really hate race car drivers!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just watched episode 1 of Reacher, and this time they really nailed the physicality of the guy. I remember reading the book (in paperback) but it was a LONG time ago. So far, looks like a pretty darn faithful adaptation, with minor tweaks. Looking forward to the rest, and how they handle the other books for subsequent seasons. If they keep the same team and take the same care, this can last a while, and that's not a bad deal for Amazon.

----

Episode 2 doesn't look bad, though the freshness has worn off a little. But there's still some of that Holmesian "info dump". And I am not too sure about the flashback to childhood.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:52 pm Just watched episode 1 of Reacher, and this time they really nailed the physicality of the guy. I remember reading the book (in paperback) but it was a LONG time ago. So far, looks like a pretty darn faithful adaptation, with minor tweaks. Looking forward to the rest, and how they handle the other books for subsequent seasons. If they keep the same team and take the same care, this can last a while, and that's not a bad deal for Amazon.
Yeah, the dude that plays Reacher nailed it.

I watched the whole series one day last week. I'm not sure I agree with spending a whole season on a single book (unless they are planning on a shit-load of seasons). Reacher's schtick seems suitable for a series of discrete episodes. Amazon doesn't have a good track record of sticking with series for the long haul, so I think the series is going to end with many stories left untold.

But the season was really a perfect retelling of The Killing Floor. All of the characters, not just Reacher, were spot-on.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Likely why he left Titans.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He did the right thing. Titans is still a "hate watch" show for me. I had to force myself to finish the last season over the space of months. I know it has its fans, but man I hate that show. I keep hoping it will get better though. I'm hopeless. :oops:
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:19 pm He did the right thing. Titans is still a "hate watch" show for me. I had to force myself to finish the last season over the space of months. I know it has its fans, but man I hate that show. I keep hoping it will get better though. I'm hopeless. :oops:
They have good characters on Titans. They have good story arcs. Most of the actors are ok to good, but man, the scene to scene writing is awful. It's like they mad lib their way through each episode.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fallout TV Series Casts Walton Goggins In Lead Role
The upcoming Fallout TV series at Amazon has announced its first bit of casting, setting up Walton Goggins in a lead role.

According to Variety, Goggins will have a lead role in the upcoming Fallout TV series based on the popular video game franchise. While details remain under wraps, sources say Goggins will play a character “based on the ghouls from the games.”
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Are we going to see Harold in the "flesh"? :horse:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’m loving the Reacher series. Interesting plot, like the characters, and it has some snappy and humorous dialogue. Looking forward to more of this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing I want them to work on for the second season is making his detective skills a little more believable. But otherwise, Alan Ritchson just nails it in every way. I tore through the whole season in less than a week.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

In the end, Reacher is just about one man’s quest for some good peach pie.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote:In the end, Reacher is just about one man’s quest for some good peach pie.
In the AMA link up thread, Reacher said that the pie was actually awful!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Reacher has been renewed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:15 pm Are we going to see Harold in the "flesh"? :horse:
Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grifman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:38 pm Reacher has been renewed.
Did they say what book they are doing next?
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I just hope they hire shorter actresses to play opposite him. If he's supposed to be 6'5" (the actor is actually 6'2") then that made Roscoe appear 6'1" or 6'2" standing next to him sometimes. :P

Good show and much better Reacher than Cruise.

It's a shame the last few Reacher books have been so bad. Letting the brother "collaborate" on the series has been a real letdown.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.